OP
OP
BlueManifest

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Why? I don't understand this drive for game streaming. Yeah its getting better, but if you have the internet capable of doing it at high quality, why would you not just download the native versions? Or are you someone who is hoping to skirt next gen consoles?
microsoft and Sony both offer streaming, they should go all in with it if they are going to offer it

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
I have a ps4 pro, gigabit internet at home, and gigabit internet at my workplace... and I can not get PS4 Remote Play to go above 5 frames per second when trying to stream a game from my home system. But I can stream my PC desktop using the same setup using Anydesk at a perfectly smooth framerate. I don't know wtf is wrong but shit is busted. We need something better.

So yeah, give me some kind of cloud solution to remove some of the weird roadblocks that make remote play from your home system such a pain in the ass.

if they want to push digital game sales above disc sales, just add cloud play as a free benefit for the digital purchase and i'm sold for life.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I want to be able to buy new Microsoft games on Xcloud and new Sony games on ps now, not just stream older games for free outside of the streaming sub cost. This is my main issue with them

Google is planning to bring stadia to iPhone, smart tvs, macs, PCs, Android. why is Xcloud only on android and pc?
Ps now isn't on any phone at all and has given no hints of coming to other devices besides just ps4 and pc

stadia is going to be 4k 60 fps in November
Ps now has been out for years and is still only 720p, xcloud is 1080p and they haven't said if they are going beyond that anytime soon
Xcloud isn't even out yet and from following it Microsoft is clearly all in.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If you have the connexion to play at 4K60, you can already stream games from your PS4 with Remote Play

And Geforce Now or Shadow are already available for years.

All let you stream Windows games you own distantly and locally.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Go try Stadia first before doing this sort of statement... if you really care about gaming, you will not play games on that other then some really really really casual games.
As someone who owns local consoles and is also testing several streaming solutions, I'd like to know why you think casual games are the only viable types for streaming? Like, what specifically means that "if you really care about gaming" then streaming isn't for you?

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I want to be able to buy new Microsoft games on Xcloud and new Sony games on ps now, not just stream older games for free outside of the streaming sub cost. This is my main issue with them

Google is planning to bring stadia to iPhone, smart tvs, macs, PCs, Android. why is Xcloud only on android and pc?
Ps now isn't on any phone at all and has given no hints of coming to other devices besides just ps4 and pc

stadia is going to be 4k 60 fps in November
Ps now has been out for years and is still only 720p, xcloud is 1080p and they haven't said if they are going beyond that anytime soon

I'm pretty sure xcloud is intended for more devices... They are just testing on Android and pc to start with

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
I haven't seen them say that yet, hope your right though
I mean the idea is to stream games without use of a console. The use case provided was countries where users don't have TVs but have phones. I don't see any way that isn't what xCloud is. They didn't mention a curated library at all except for game pass which isn't xCloud. I could see them bundling gamepass with xcloud, but the main xcloud service let's you buy games. From my understanding at least.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Once streaming becomes a focus, I'm basically pushed out of gaming. I'd rather it sit in the back for another 4-8 years. (Live rural, with no apparent plans for stable internet. ISP laid some flags a year ago, but that's gone nowhere)

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
The tech still isn't there or proven, so no. Google says alot of shit, it's all unproven and their claims are sounding ridiculous as well. Streaming has limited scope

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
For PS4 games you can use remote play with Android. So as long as you have the game on your system, you can theoretically stream it to your mobile.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Here's hoping.
I'm so done with paying 400~500 bucks for a new console.
Let me just pay a subscription to stream Next Gen games and be done with it.
As my other posts indicate, I'm a firm believer in streaming. But this is a dangerous argument; if you amortise that $400-$500 cost over the lifespan of a console, it'll be probably come out as a more cost-effective option than streaming for the same length of time.

Stream for convenience, cross-device support etc., but don't do it to save money. Unless you're one of those people who buys a console for a single exclusive, in which case you'll definitely save money by just subscribing for a month or two.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad they're making it an option rather than the only way to play like google.

OP
OP
BlueManifest

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As my other posts indicate, I'm a firm believer in streaming. But this is a dangerous argument; if you amortise that $400-$500 cost over the lifespan of a console, it'll be probably come out as a more cost-effective option than streaming for the same length of time.

Stream for convenience, cross-device support etc., but don't do it to save money. Unless you're one of those people who buys a console for a single exclusive, in which case you'll definitely save money by just subscribing for a month or two.
The box won't be more cost effective for how I would use it. I buy like 5 PS exclusives every gen that means I only need 5 months of PS now which is 50$ vs 400$

Noble

Oct 27, 2017
Xcloud doesn't seem to be from what I listed in OP

xCloud will allow you to do exactly what you say you'd like to do in the OP.

You purchase the game on the store and play it directly on your devices. You can 1) stream it from the cloud. 2) Stream from your console (which allows you to play any game you already have). The previews are on Android and PC, but they plan to support a wide range of devices.

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Sony and MS are exactly going to do that. Just wait for next-gen.

IqhdjiJ.png
Too bad that doesn't go for BC.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Like the developing world. Android phones are ubiquitous across the entire globe.
And so are TVs.

I find it silly. Developing countries are likely to not have the greatest connection environment for streaming due to either low bandwidth internet or more importantly, high latency due to location, even with these datacenters around the globe. Or laughably due to streaming services just not being available here yet with no mention of when they will be.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
I wish they never would, but they will. And it'll very quickly SUCK.
Fact of the matter is, streaming is the nightmare scenario, the next step from the pre-launch Xbox One plan.
As a consumer you'll have even less ownership over the games you'll "buy" or subscribe to, you will always be beholden to the publisher's whims as to when and how and which version of the game you're allowed to play not to mention that I doubt that they'll ever figure out a sustainable business model.
Running servers is costly as fuck, not everyone will survive this push.

OP
OP
BlueManifest

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wish they never would, but they will. And it'll very quickly SUCK.
Fact of the matter is, streaming is the nightmare scenario, the next step from the pre-launch Xbox One plan.
As a consumer you'll have even less ownership over the games you'll "buy" or subscribe to, you will always be beholden to the publisher's whims as to when and how and which version of the game you're allowed to play not to mention that I doubt that they'll ever figure out a sustainable business model.
Running servers is costly as fuck, not everyone will survive this push.
I don't care about game ownership I get to play the same game either way for less money

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017

FreeangelGP05

Oct 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
The internet infrastructure in the United States just isn't there. Cloud Streaming is still unproven if it will perform well and if Google is actually serious about it after about 2-3 years.

Sony & Microsoft are right to cautious and take their time with it. The transition to cloud streaming with video games is going to take a long time.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
And so are TVs.

I find it silly. Developing countries are likely to not have the greatest connection environment for streaming due to either low bandwidth internet or more importantly, high latency due to location, even with these datacenters around the globe. Or laughably due to streaming services just not being available here yet with no mention of when they will be.
Not even close to as common bro. There are more people with cell phones than access to toilets in developing countries sadly. I wish I remember which interview talked about it so I could quote it. As I'm not an expert on developing countries I can't speak to the quality of the cell phone services there. I can only tell you what Phil said in the interview, I believe it's one of the e3 ones last years.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
Considering their strength in contrast to Stadia lies in local computing, it'd be weird if their main focus in their communication right now was streaming.

OP
OP
BlueManifest

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The internet infrastructure in the United States just isn't there. Cloud Streaming is still unproven if it will perform well and if Google is actually serious about it after about 2-3 years.

Sony & Microsoft are right to cautious and take their time with it. The transition to cloud streaming with video games is going to take a long time.
again still no excuse for them to not offer new games for sale on ps now, even more reason for them to offer it really

if not many people can use it then it won't hurt their console sales to offer new games on ps now

Bahlor

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Too bad that doesn't go for BC.

What are you talking about? PS5 will most likely be backwards compatible from what we know. PS4 could've never supported PS3 games, whether they wanted or not.

Streaming games is an awesome theory limited by a lot of stuff and will never be as responsive as local solutions for obvious physical reasons. I really can't understand how some people believe that bullshit claim by Google

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
As someone who owns local consoles and is also testing several streaming solutions, I'd like to know why you think casual games are the only viable types for streaming? Like, what specifically means that "if you really care about gaming" then streaming isn't for you?
Latency in the first place, there will always be MORE latency then a good PC/console set.
Then visual quality, Stadia will probably offer low quality bitrate even with the paywall "4K", by judging the connection requirements, so you will have artifacts, especially on fast paced games.

All of this with a monthly fee and games on full price, where you have 0 control on them.

As a PC player first all of this is just nightmare... I want freedom and choice, and Stadia will be a cloud console with all the problems of consoles (closed platform) and really can't see the convenience in the long run.

Save some bucks? If you care about the medium you want the best, it doesn't make sense to buy a 2000€ 4K and then play with crappy quality in streaming.

p.s. and ppl doesn't understand that resolution, when you talk about steaming, doesn't mean much, it's all about bitrate.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
The box won't be more cost effective for how I would use it. I buy like 5 PS exclusives every gen that means I only need 5 months of PS now which is 50$ vs 400$

Which is exactly why Sony won't put their brand new titles up on PSNow.

They ultimately want people to buy their hardware. That is their goal.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Nice, send link I never saw it, will they have it on iPhone?

They talk about, for the future, 'portable client devices' as a growth engine, about 'maximising the off-console' opportunity - and if you listen back to the webcast, you'll see them talking about how the Remote Play multi-device strategy is a testing ground for PSNow device rollout. iOS and Android client devices for remote play were made available this year.

The slides also mention '1080p and beyond' on the roadmap.

(It also mentions 'new entitlement models' in the context of streaming for next-gen - you might take that as a hint toward new purchase options beyond the flat-rate sub that's available at the moment).

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
So
That's no excuse for Microsoft and Sony to not offer new games for sell on xcloud and ps now

you should be able to buy death stranding for 60$ on ps now on November 7th

Xcloud isn't out and I really thought xcloud could be used exactly how you're saying...no?

I don't know what answer you're looking for quite honestly. Companies having different strategies for same ish tech isn't new.