• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DRPSquirtle64

May 30, 2019
I like the approach of native first, take on your games on the go via cloud streaming way more than what Google tries to push.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
The only limits on where and when you game is your imagination
And the country you live in.
I hope you aren't implying that countries in where people don't have TVs and have a $50 Android phone running Android 4.4, also have Internet infraestructures capable of supporting game streaming. lol. Also these households probably do have TVs, even if it's some shitty 720p TV bought in 2011.

I can assure you that people in developing countries would rather save for a base PS4 and buy a few games in deep sales than trying to stream any games on their shitty phone. Or maybe they'd rather build a PC by searching for parts in the second hand market, like a Venezuelan friend of mine did. I assure you that this Venezuelan friend would never even consider the possibility of streaming a game because he can barely streaming a 480p youtube video.
yup, all of this.

Edit: my shitty 720p tv served me well until I replaced it this year lol

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
With the advent of Microsoft Flight Simulator, I'm sure Microsoft will be pushing streaming by the time it comes out. It's the perfect game to sell streaming. The local version will require powerful hardware and a very fast internet connection. The online version will only require a very fast internet connection. On top of that, input lag is not really a concern for a flight sim.

OP
OP
BlueManifest

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
With the advent of Microsoft Flight Simulator, I'm sure Microsoft will be pushing streaming by the time it comes out. It's the perfect game to sell streaming. The local version will require powerful hardware and a very fast internet connection. The online version will only require a very fast internet connection. On top of that, input lag is not really a concern for a flight sim.
Microsoft should offer all their games on streaming new and old

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely. I mean, look at the phenomenon that was the Fortnite "black hole" this week. Gamers on iOS, Android, Mac, PC, PS4, Switch, and Xbox all experienced the same game-changing event at the same time - at home or on the go. I might not like playing Fortnite, but I'm in awe of what they've achieved from a live, evolving game point of view.

Of course Epic did this with native applications for each of those platforms, but streaming could achieve the same thing - with the added benefit of also doing one of the Switch's main selling points, allowing you to carry on playing the same game, from the same exact point, when you move from your TV at home to your phone on the bus or whatever.

The infrastructure isn't there to support that vision for everyone yet, but it's not as far as off as some people like to make out.

I think we're probably 3-4 years from it being viable for the average consumer?

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Microsoft should offer all their games on streaming new and old
I'm with you on believing in streaming, but you're being remarkably glib about one of the biggest gaming platform holders completely up-ending their business model. Microsoft (and Sony) will come out with compelling streaming / subscription packages in the next few years, but you're going to need to hold your horses.

Dinobot

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Good. I have zero desire to stream my games with the current technology and network infrastructure. Miss me with that until 2030 when we get zero latency 4K60 with HDR and 5.1 PCM sound.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
I think we're probably 3-4 years from it being viable for the average consumer?
That's probably about right, depending on the region and the type of infrastructure we're talking about. Streaming 4K/60fps at home should be viable for a good portion of people in Europe and Asia in that timeframe, but I'm pretty dubious about the 5G roll-out as well as doubting how well that technology will lend itself to stable connections as devices move between access points.

I'm also not all that optimistic that the US will sort out its ISP / data cap quagmire in the next few years. The problems over there seem seriously entrenched.

Realistically, as viable as streaming already is for some people (me included) I think we're looking at the tail-end of the next hardware generation before it's really pushed as a mainstream option. In the longer term, though, I absolutely see physical hardware becoming the enthusiast option the way 4K BluRay players are today.

Call me a crazy futurist, but I believe that my kids (who are very young) will probably never own a car or a game console, but they'll still be able to enjoy personal travel and play games.

Deleted member 4037

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I for one am happy they arent. I dont think we are at the point where streaming is super viable for large amounts of people

Klaphat

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
I want ps now and xcloud to offer what stadia is offering in addition to their consoles

They are going to offer the same. Microsoft will push xCloud when it's ready. You buy an xCloud sub and you can then play your digital games via the cloud.

They are going to push it heavily when it's close to release and is released, just like Game Pass.

OP
OP
BlueManifest

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I for one am happy they arent. I dont think we are at the point where streaming is super viable for large amounts of people
It doesn't have to viable for large amounts of people for people that can use it already

it would cost Sony practically nothing to offer new games for sale on ps now, actually they would probably sell more that way

Bahlor

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
It doesn't have to viable for large amounts of people for people that can use it already

Then why would they do it? It's neither easy to build nor cheap for the service provider.

it would cost Sony practically nothing to offer new games for sale on ps now, actually they would probably sell more that way

I highly doubt that there are a lot of people with a good connection AND the desire to buy games for streaming at the full price... sounds more like a niche

OP
OP
BlueManifest

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Then why would they do it? It's neither easy to build nor cheap for the service provider.

I highly doubt that there are a lot of people with a good connection AND the desire to buy games for streaming at the full price... sounds more like a niche
Don't know what you mean why would they do it they are already doing it people can use ps now right now, Sony just isn't putting new games on it by choice

Oct 25, 2017
They could load all possible button presses not just single ones
That doesn't answer the question. It has to choose to present the actual outcome of your button press when you press the button. That button press must still be communicated and processed. There's no avoiding it.

And as has been stated above, the complexity of rendering all possibilities ahead of time quickly spirals into astronomical levels of computation unless you're playing a very simple game.

So they either spend insane resources on the solution or you will experience rollback-like weirdness while you play your single player game. The latter of which would absolutely destroy the immersion and quality of experience of your maxed graphics/4K/60fps AAA game.

cnorwood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Typical Resetera streaming thread. "I don't like streaming so no one should be able to do it"

OP
OP
BlueManifest

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That doesn't answer the question. It has to choose to present the actual outcome of your button press when you press the button. That button press must still be communicated and processed. There's no avoiding it.

And as has been stated above, the complexity of rendering all possibilities ahead of time quickly spirals into astronomical levels of computation unless you're playing a very simple game.

So they either spend insane resources on the solution or you will experience rollback-like weirdness while you play your single player game. The latter of which would absolutely destroy the immersion and quality of experience of your maxed graphics/4K/60fps AAA game.
It's processed before you press so that there is no lag when you do press it

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
I want to be able to buy new Microsoft games on Xcloud and new Sony games on ps now, not just stream older games for free outside of the streaming sub cost. This is my main issue with them

Google is planning to bring stadia to iPhone, smart tvs, macs, PCs, Android. why is Xcloud only on android and pc?
Ps now isn't on any phone at all and has given no hints of coming to other devices besides just ps4 and pc

stadia is going to be 4k 60 fps in November
Ps now has been out for years and is still only 720p, xcloud is 1080p and they haven't said if they are going beyond that anytime soon
As others have said they will show more as we near next gen. MS have already said they are going to work on iOS. xCloud is entering beta soon so they are rolling out slowly but they have already said that they want it on as many devices as possible.

MoneyBee

Nov 16, 2017
Game streaming from Google seems like the easiest and, most lacking, application of technology and innovation from a large corporation.

OP
OP
BlueManifest

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As others have said they will show more as we near next gen. MS have already said they are going to work on iOS. xCloud is entering beta soon so they are rolling out slowly but they have already said that they want it on as many devices as possible.
Well Sony has had like 5 years to offer new PS4 games for sale on ps now and they haven't done it, they could do it right now

OP
OP
BlueManifest

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What's the travel time of your button press to their server and is it equal or faster than a home console solution?
No travel time, just pressing all buttons for you ahead of time before you do so that they are ready to be pressed by you

kinda like putting the buttons in a que line of button presses

like they could have 10 A button presses ready to go then when you get near the end they could have another 10 presses ready

Last edited:

Deleted member 45460

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 27, 2018
If the point is "not everything is available!" isn't that the plan for Xcloud? It will have every game they put out but not until the service fully launches, and it is simply an extra option alongside local hardware. What a weird thread

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
No travel time, just pressing all buttons for you ahead of time before you do so that they are ready to be pressed by you

kinda like putting the buttons in a que line

like they could have 10 A buttons presses ready to go then when you get near the end they could have another 10 presses ready
Yeah, right. Look at the analog stick in any controller you own. You can move it in 360 degrees, and you can move it just a bit or all the way out or anything in between. There are TWO of these sticks. Imagine you're playing Doom. It's not about pre-fetching a frame in where you shoot the gun, a frame in where you jump, and a frame in where you jump and shoot the gun. It would have to account for the possibility of the player moving either or both sticks in any direction and how far out the user moves the sticks. Oh and the user might press any combination of buttons at the same time as the sticks are moved in any direction. As soon as analog controls are brought to the table, there are literally million of possibilities for any given frame. And don't even get me started on how many possibilites there would be if you add gyro to the ecuation. A third analog input. It's impossible.

Maybe if you're willing to return to d-pad only, MAYBE stadia will be able to pre-fetch all possible inputs. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

OP
OP
BlueManifest

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If the point is "not everything is available!" isn't that the plan for Xcloud? It will have every game they put out but not until the service fully launches, and it is simply an extra option alongside local hardware. What a weird thread
If Microsoft said that I missed it, I know Sony has had 5 years to put new PS4 game's on ps now and they still haven't done it

OP
OP
BlueManifest

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, right. Look at the analog stick in any controller you own. You can move it in 360 degrees, and you can move it just a bit or all the way out or anything in between. There are TWO of these sticks. Imagine you're playing Doom. It's not about pre-fetching a frame in where you shoot the gun, a frame in where you jump, and a frame in where you jump and shoot the gun. It would have to account for the possibility of the player moving either or both sticks in any direction and how far out the user moves the sticks. Oh and the user might press any combination of buttons at the same time as the sticks are moved in any direction. As soon as analog controls are brought to the table, there are literally million of possibilities for any given frame. And don't even get me started on how many possibilites there would be if you add gyro to the ecuation. A third analog input. It's impossible.

Maybe if you're willing to return to d-pad only, MAYBE stadia will be able to pre-fetch all possible inputs. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Well that's what the plan is

Oct 25, 2017

kinda like putting the buttons in a que line

like they could have 10 A button presses ready to go then when you get near the end they could have another 10 presses ready
The game behaves according to YOUR inputs, right? They can queue up a trillion different inputs, they still have to pick the right one WHICH CAN ONLY HAPPEN BY RECEIVING THE PLAYER'S ACTUAL BUTTON PRESS AND CHOOSING THE CORRECT OPTION FROM THE ARRAY OF POSSIBILITIES. Am I fucking crazy?

OP
OP
BlueManifest

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The game behaves according to YOUR inputs, right? They can queue up a trillion different inputs, they still have to pick the right one WHICH CAN ONLY HAPPEN BY RECEIVING THE PLAYER'S ACTUAL BUTTON PRESS AND CHOOSING THE CORRECT OPTION FROM THE ARRAY OF POSSIBILITIES. Am I fucking crazy?
They aren't picking which input, you are picking it, they just have it ready to be picked

remember this isn't at launch they said it's 1 - 2 years away

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
The real test for these streaming services is how well they perform when you have multiple users in your home streaming movies and tv at the same time.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Typical Resetera streaming thread. "I don't like streaming so no one should be able to do it"
Pretty much, even though I disagree that MS and Sony aren't pushing those services...the biggest difference is that Google is launching their service next month...Sony is now pushing their service better...and Microsoft is taking their time to get it to work (they are where Google was last October) before they launch. In the meantime...just use Google's service if they are providing the service you want. As long as crossplay continues to be a thing, there's no reason to not use the service if they providing what you want :).

Streaming is gonna be just like digital this coming gen.

The real test for these streaming services is how well they perform when you have multiple users in your home streaming movies and tv at the same time.
Seeing as my wife was streaming 4K Netflix last night while I was testing xCloud...it was pretty much fine, granted I have gigabit internet but I have a lot of devices hooked up to it.

Jul 10, 2018
At least where I live, if a drunk driver hits a pole and snaps 384-strand fiber cable, I'm not playing games until the splice is repatched by a dude on a ladder with his asscrack hanging out.