One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
861ba10e0aad1c9992a38dbc8eb160ad.jpg

This is how she looks
maxresdefault.jpg

Even this looks normal.
maxresdefault.jpg

This is some uncanny vallely creepy cyborg. Only scene she looks like this. Its like they places ultra realistic eyes into a video game model.

youre special.

I disagree. This one scene artistically looks nothing like the rest of the game.

Yes nothing else has this "fidelity"

No other cutscene does she look like Will Maisie.
23-Maisie-Williams-Getty.jpg

just think it looks uncanny.
LMAO. I finished the game. I hated it the moment I finished it. My GOTY. Im working on permadeath grounded right now to platinum the game. Disappointed in no PS5 upgraded.

They are the same age in that scene. She looks like young grandma Will Maisie for exactly one scene.
im utterly confused how this scene passed. Totally ruins the last scene for me. She looks hyper realistic, and she wasnt sad in the last scene. She was emotionless .

how about you stop being a child.

Some of you are overly protective of this game. Maybe to really set some of you cuties. Abby's tits suck.
What are you on about? Stop being a child??? What??? Please stop. Looking foolish.

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
You are way too sensitive to play horror/violent games if you're literally vomiting from what's happening. That isn't the games issue imo.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I loved that it made me conscious of its violence. Games honestly had stopped doing that. It usually washes over me like it's nothing. And that...well that is a bit worrying when you think about it. The fact a game like Dishonored for instance can have neck stabbing, decapitation and dimemberment and my reaction is a complete lack of reaction...that's pretty strange.
Last of us 2 was so graphic I was shocked by it again. And I think that was the entire point. For the violence to actually mean something and be affecting. And it nailed that for me. I wasn't cheering on the gore in a hyperviolent doom kind of way, or a chainsaw finisher gears of war kind of way. Fist pumping the air when someone gets stabbed in the neck...i was grossed out..repulsed even...And I can't remember the last game that did that but I applaud ND for going that far with it. It didn't negatively affect the game or story for me it just made all the encounters and depictions of violence all the more impactful. The fact the pain was conveyed so strongly on the characters faces made it so much better too. I honestly don't think there's a Dev out there that could have achieved it.

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I love reading other's people opinion about this game. Everyone has a complete understanding of the story. This is the biggest proof this game is completely broken on the story side. This is not a freaking Shakespeare story. It's a bland story about revenge and how it destroys you. Finding Ellie to be the villan was the worst interpretation ever.
They didn't have the guts to make her kill abby and have a funcking bad ending because they need a 3rd game. This game is amazing in many ways but its stories blows. Horrible storytelling. If this game was not the magnum opus in graphics, it would be completely destroyed by critics.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I disagree with every point in the op. The game didn't go far enough. There's zero satisfaction or closure until Ellie (justifiably) puts a bullet through Abby's skull.

If you're going to complain about graphic violence, you should have sat this series out a long time ago. The E3 audience cheered when Joel shotgunned a pleading enemy point blank so many years ago. That was your clue to quietly leave the room and play something else.
The OP literally says a moment near the very end of the game made him physically vomit.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
Im not concerned about swerving into questioning people's protectiveness, when they are basically calling me a pedo. For disliking graphics and changing a expression on one of the best video game scenes of all time.

Its the truth thought. People really have to relax. Abby has a nice ass. Bad tits. Excuse my heterosexual ass.

Maybe next time if you don't want to be accused of derailing don't post some shitty screenshot without context.

You could have edited instead of doubling down hours later with that unhinged second post of yours.

You're making very little sense and now objectifying Abby for some reason.

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018
I love reading other's people opinion about this game. Everyone has a complete understanding of the story. This is the biggest proof this game is completely broken on the story side. This is not a freaking Shakespeare story. It's a bland story about revenge and how it destroys you. Finding Ellie to be the villan was the worst interpretation ever.
They didn't have the guts to make her kill abby and have a funcking bad ending because they need a 3rd game. This game is amazing in many ways but its stories blows. Horrible storytelling. If this game was not the magnum opus in graphics, it would be completely destroyed by critics.

I appreciate the game for its technical prowess and scope. Gameplay is insane.

The game is also incredibly well acted and directed(technical scene direction, camera, lighting etc), best of the business. Laura Bailey was incredible and so was everyone else.

I raved about the game on my first playthrough ,but its creative direction(in terms of concept planning, writing)completely blows.

xtib81

Mar 10, 2019
LOL, what? Maybe if you love violence so much the problem is with you? Getting sick seeing someone bite off another person's fingers seems...normal?

You know it's a videogame, right ? If you can't dissociate tlou2 from reality, the problem comes from you. It is not normal to throw up while playing a videogame.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
There is no "guts" either way, this is just your bias in full swing.

In-fact, doing that would have required far less guts as it would have been safer. A huge part of the backlash was the fact she didn't get her revenge, and a revenge story without revenge as a pay-off is far less common than the straightforward revenge outcome.

Anyway, opinions about the quality of story telling aside, this part of your comment stands out as you pushing your bias.

Scuttlefluff

Oct 28, 2017
When did gamers get so squeamish? Love the violence in the game and frankly, I could do with more of that kind of gore realism in other games. A lot of them don't go the extra mile in that regard.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
M
Maybe next time if you don't want to be accused of derailing don't post some shitty screenshot without context.

You could have edited instead of doubling down hours later with that unhinged second post of yours.

You're making very little sense and now objectifying Abby for some reason.
Exactly.

They very obviously wanted the initial reactions they got, and their reply shows all they're here for is stoking more reactions.

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
Some people say the games is about revenge others say forgiveness, I feel like it's one of those things that tell you a lot about that person and how the absorb the media they consume.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I don't know why people want a "villain" so much.

There's no rules in that world, they are just surviving, no one is a villain.

The way I saw the story was that we were effectively playing the arch we don't get to experience in Joel's story. The part where he's the bad guy.

In the first game we hear about all these things he did in the groups he used to run with using survival as an excuse. He seems like an irredeemable shit bag of a human...but we as players only ever get to actually see the redemption arch of Joel. The point AFTER he's done those things after losing his daughter and growing to care for Ellie. We play the nice bit.

Ellie in the last of us part 2 in my mind is just following in Joel's footsteps. Turning into an "irredeemable" shit bag human for the sake of revenge....only this time we're actually controlling the character while they go through that arch. It's maybe not something some people want to experience because you could hardly call it mario type fun, but it's an important aspect of that character non the less.

I have no doubt in my mind part 3 will tell a story of redemption for Ellie in the same way part 1 was a story of redemption for Joel. I don't know what that would be because her story was left in an ugly place in part 2. But I'm sure they'll nail that too.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
I dunno if Ellie is ""the villain"", the whole point of TLOU2 is that the pursuit of revenge is a fruitless endeavor that will kill you emotionally if not literally, and you'll lose everything if you choose revenge over life. Ellie and Abby are equally guilty of this and they both lose everything in the end. Before the epilogue, they both had renewed purpose (Abby with Lev in seeking a new start and Ellie with Dana and JJ) but Ellie chose revenge over her fresh start, leaving her utterly broken at the end. It's an extremely brutal and chilling ending.

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
No one is the villain

Yeah. Some people don't seem to get they are all heavily flawed characters which does not mean they are badly written characters or somehow not "true" to their former selves. Ellie is not a villain. There is no such archetype in this game. She is a good person at heart and the game shows us how hard it is to keep it together when you are challenged with a tragedy, guilt and hate. Same goes for Joel and Abby.

Seeing them having to actually deal with their mistakes and flaws is what makes these characters interesting to begin with.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
If we want to talk about a character looking really different. I think Tommy makes more sense than Ellie.
The-Last-Of-Us-Part-II-Tommy-Denim-Jacket.jpg

194496250.jpg

Oghuz

Oct 27, 2017
Ellie wasn't the villain and Joel wasn't evil. And the game was nowhere near bad enough to make someone vomit (and this is coming from someone who can't stomach movies like Saw).

Maybe this game just ain't for you then.

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
I've read what you've written. I find it pretty ridiculous and that's it haha. Surprised you got to the end of the game with that reaction.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed this. In a lot of ways, I noticed that LoU2 was a game designed around either subverting or taking seriously the tropes that games have taken for granted.

Protagonist power, for example. Uncharted is known for Drake slaughtering guys by the thousands and it's just kind of unremarked upon. Why is this one guy able to take out so many dozens of other people, other soldiers who've been trained in combat? And why is it that all these deaths are treated so casually, given that Drake kills like a full stadium of people every game? Well, the only real explanation is that as the main character, Drake has a life and personality outside combat, while the 'bad guys' just exist to be killed. Last of Us 1 dabbled in this as well, with how Joel was somehow just one guy that says over and over that his survival is based on luck, but he's always the one that comes out on top no matter how insane the situation gets.

This is what made playing Abby pretty interesting. First off, there is the obvious Joel death that isn't just brutal, but unceremonious. This character that survived so much actually was just getting lucky all this time, and now his luck ran out the day he met Abby. But more importantly, since Abby is Ellie's enemy, we get to see that protagonist power isn't just limited to Joel and Ellie, but a bunch of different people. Jesse has it too...but then there's that scene in the theater where he runs out and Abby by reflex shoots him through the face. His death is as unceremonious and instant and meaningless (to Abby) as any other of the hundreds of NPC's that she shot exactly like him. The only way Jesse is different is because we knew him through Ellie, and like Joel, he was this guy who could run through an army of infected and WLF...just up until the day he couldn't.

This is one of the few games that actually takes to heart making the player feel like they aren't playing a 'special' character, because in actuality all characters, including NPC's, go through life like Joel and Ellie and Abby until they meet one character who gets that lucky shot on them.
Agree completely. They did an excellent job of showing that Abby and Ellie, (Jessie & Manny etc etc etc) were very clearly two sides of the same coin and that one person's hero is another's villain. Its just such a shames (but ultimately not surprising), that so many people weren't able to step back and realise how much of their own perspective on events and characters is coloured entirely by nothing more than "we spent a whole game with Ellie before and thus she is the one who is 'right' to us". I'd love to see the parallel world where TLOU1 was about Abby instead of Ellie and TLOU2 is the other way around and what that discourse looks like.

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
I really don't think you threw up because of a 3 second scene in a video game, but by all means go off.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
When did gamers get so squeamish? Love the violence in the game and frankly, I could do with more of that kind of gore realism in other games. A lot of them don't go the extra mile in that regard.
I didn't mind the violence, but let's be honest here. This is the most violent mainstream game we've had to date in terms of detailed level of realism.

One of their main goals was to ground the violence in a realistic way, for the player to feel the harm they inflict, to make the NPCs you murder feel like actual people.

That this is the first time many players are feeling a negative reaction toward interactive violence isn't surprising, they engineered the game to create those reactions for effect.
And the game was nowhere near bad enough to make someone vomit
This is highly subjective.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
This game was too visceral and real for some of y'all. To the point that some people want Abby to be the "villain" so badly that you don't see the irony in also thinking that Ellie and Joel should be portrayed as the heroes just because they were originally the protagonists....when they are as bad as Abby if not worse.

Once you let go of any notion of heroes and villains in the world of TLOU, everything makes more sense. These aren't feel good stories where good triumphs over evil. Neither game ends in a happy spot.

Anyway TLOU2 is violent but there is worse stuff out there. I guess everyone has their triggers though.

Acquiesc3

Oct 30, 2017
I finished it recently and barely noticed that part OP. It's definitely nowhere as graphic as the rest of the game.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Seeing someone disemboweled in the first trailer for the game pretty much guaranteed that I was never going to play it.

Over the top Mortal Kombat style is one thing, hyper-realism is quite another.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
Agree completely. They did an excellent job of showing that Abby and Ellie, (Jessie & Manny etc etc etc) were very clearly two sides of the same coin and that one person's hero is another's villain. Its just such a shames (but ultimately not surprising), that so many people weren't able to step back and realise how much of their own perspective on events and characters is coloured entirely by nothing more than "we spent a whole game with Ellie before and thus she is the one who is 'right' to us". I'd love to see the parallel world where TLOU1 was about Abby instead of Ellie and TLOU2 is the other way around and what that discourse looks like.

I love the Abby arc, even if in some ways it halt's the game's momentum, because of the new context it puts on the story. The first half of the game, you (mostly) play as Ellie and you go through this whole situation feeling somewhat vindicated. We empathize with Ellie and what happened to Joel because we went through the first game with them. We know the terrible thing Joel did, but we also know why he did it, that it was borne out of love. We understand on some level why Abby and her friends did the thing they did, and maybe even that they were quite merciful by letting Ellie and Tommy go when they could have killed them too, but we don't really care. As you take out characters like Nora, Owen, Mel, you don't feel a ton of sympathy. They did what they did. Ellie's anger feels righteous.

Then you get to the second half of the game and you see Abby lose her father. You see her build a new life in a community. You see how her people have responded to what Joel did to them and how they feel as righteous about what they did as Ellie will feel about what she's done to them. You grow to care about those characters. Mel/Owen/Nora/Mannie/etc don't change, but the context we've seen them in does. They're far from perfect people, but they aren't evil. They're doing the best they can in the world they've been given. They show kindness, compassion, mercy. We grow to care about them, and slowly the feeling of sickness takes over. Because we already know what's going to happen to them. We actually personally killed most of them. How righteous what Ellie did slips away and there's only pain left. We freaking get to play with the dog we killed without a second thought, an animal that was nothing but loyal and kind and protecting its people. Something I know my dog would have done in a second.

Yet somehow, after all of that, Abby STILL shows Ellie mercy once more. Her/Dina/Tommy get to walk away. (She may not have realized Tommy was doing so) Jesse she didn't execute or anything either. He was killed in a moment of action, during a fire fight. Not even close to what happened to someone like Owen, and stratospheres from what was done to Nora. Abby actually shows remarkable levels of moderation throughout this game considering the circumstances she finds herself in. Yet despite this, Ellie still gives up a good life with people she loves once again to try to get revenge. She leaves her child. Dina makes it pretty clear what she'll do, but Ellie can't let go. In the end she finally does, but only after causing so much pain.

Which doesn't mean Ellie's a villain, or even that Joel was. They both had their reasons for what they did. Within the context of the situations they found themselves in, those choices made some sense in the moment. They did what they did not out of hate, but out of love. Which makes it more tragic. Abby despite her better actions later in the game also made a similar decision in what she did to Joel. Her later actions are colored by that somewhat, by knowing that what she did to Joel didn't fix her, didn't make the pain go away. Ellie still needs that context.

I won't play this game again. I actually don't know that I could go through Ellie's first section again, not after knowing those characters the way I do now. I don't want to kill Nora, or Owen, or Mel. I want to talk to them. I want to do things that the game doesn't let us do. I don't even mind that though. The game is setting out to make a statement, not be a player empowerment simulator. (nothing wrong with that sort of game either, it just isn't what this is) I'm incredibly glad I played it though because few games have moved me more. I have a few issues with it, but those mostly revolve around repetition of combat scenarios and things of that nature. I'm very happy with the story.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France

What are you talking about ? People have different interpretations on all kinds of works of fiction. Hell, plenty of those interpretations in TLOU2 stem from the varied interpretations of TLOU's ending. So is the first game broken on the story side as well ?

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
You know it's a videogame, right ? If you can't dissociate tlou2 from reality, the problem comes from you. It is not normal to throw up while playing a videogame.
But being disturbed is. I don't think it matters that it's a video game. Same with movies. There's a reason those ultra violent films are called torture porn. If you revel in violence that's a problem

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Some of you really do seem like you have very little worldly experience... it might not be common, but people definitely exist that could have this kind of reaction to that scene.

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
How could he have gotten the hint earlier if he didn't have that reaction until that late in the game?

I specifically pointed out that 8 years ago, he was given a very clear picture of what TLOU is when a dude's face exploded into red mist point blank and the audience cheered it on. Nobody hid what this game was from him. Naughty Dog shouldn't conform to him. He should elect to play a game he can handle.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I specifically pointed out that 8 years ago, he was given a very clear picture of what TLOU is when a dude's face exploded into red mist point blank and the audience cheered it on. Nobody hid what this game was from him. Naughty Dog shouldn't conform to him. He should elect to play a game he can handle.
A person can handle one act of extreme violence but not another. An exploding head is not the same as a finger being bitten off.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Shiet, I was hoping the game would go farther. Would've been really interested to see Abby actually finish through what she started in the theater and how that would impact her later on. Even if it was for avenging her friends, it would eat at her especially as she helped out Lev.

As for the graphic nature, I can understand the thoughts there. Others I've talked to have said similar and it makes me wonder if they'd consider a "gore" filter. Though I could see that being hard to implement just considering the story specific scenes as stated.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Shiet, I was hoping the game would go farther. Would've been really interested to see Abby actually finish through what she started in the theater and how that would impact her later on. Even if it was for avenging her friends, it would eat at her especially as she helped out Lev

Druckmann: HIRED

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
OP's issue is something that I think is a bit unique to games... and maybe will pop up if there's a big Marvel movie that has a lot of violence in it or something. But mostly, a game thing. This is The Last of Us 2, it's a violent game that's a sequel to a violent game. You don't have to play everything. They don't have to make content for everyone.

There is no obligation to engage in content you find gross or disturbing just because it's the next big game. It's not for you! Play something else! The creators of this game are explicit in their desire to make the player incredibly uncomfortable with depictions of violence.