• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My point is that we shouldn't be talking about the rule of law when it barely exists and is actively being undermined by the people in power

All the more reason to talk about the rule of law and what we can do to ensure it survives and is reinforced. You absolutely do not want people taking things into their own hands. Nice and good people rarely win in those situations.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
If you have the strongest urge in your entire life to punch someone for a T shirt you prob aren't handling your anger properly
It's not "just a t-shirt", the thing is purposefully designed to provoke anger, and it supports a hate movement.
I don't think having an almost uncontrollable desire to punch a stranger is a healthy behaviour though.
If the stranger is a racist asshole, it's understandable to have the urge. Fuck racists and bigots.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Trump sucks ass but if the mere mention of him sets you off like this, you should probably seek some sort of help.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
It's not "just a t-shirt", the thing is purposefully designed to provoke anger, and it supports a hate movement.

If the stranger is a racist asshole, it's understandable to have the urge. Fuck racists and bigots.

I don't agree.

At least, I think there's a difference between having an 'urge' to do something you know you shouldn't, and seriously considering a random act of violence as framed by the OP.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Seek fucking help ASAP. Punch people over a fucking t-shirt and politics? Get real.
Trump and the Republicans are not "just politics" when people are fucking dying and children and being put in cages and hate crimes are at an all time high and conspiracy theories are stopping people from vaccinating their children.

Oct 27, 2017
Right?

And meanwhile everyone that's advocating for and/or justifying violence in this situation (or at least providing straw-men and circular arguments) is going to pass people wearing stupid shirts and "Make 'Merica Great Again" hats and do/say absolutely nothing.

This is hilarious considering that as a hiring manager I take great pride in filtering Conservatives/ MAGAts from my office. Nothing quite like discovering you're too dumb to not post Trump memes on Facebook, and then shoving the application under some magazines.

I don't advocate smacking the shit out of Fascists because it's so much more fulfilling ensuring their life is more difficult through other means. I also don't judge people who do, well, because fucking Fascism should be stamped out by any means necessary.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
Trump and the Republicans are not "just politics" when people are fucking dying and children and being put in cages and hate crimes are at an all time high and conspiracy theories are stopping people from vaccinating their children.

All of those things are terrible. I still don't think it acts as a justification for violence in the context provided by OP.

If he disagrees with those things, then he can make sure he goes out and votes against them.

ItsBobbyDarin

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Egyptian residing in Denmark

People were being held in cages before Trump, people did not vaccinate their children before Trump, flat earthers existed before Trump. As terrible this shit is, you cannot blame everything on politicians. There will always be morons to be found.

All of those things are terrible. I still don't think it acts as a justification for violence in the context provided by OP.

If he disagrees with those things, then he can make sure he goes out and votes against them.

Exactly.

The Last Laugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 31, 2018
This is hilarious considering that as a hiring manager I take great pride in filtering Conservatives/ MAGAts from my office. Nothing quite like discovering you're too dumb to not post Trump memes on Facebook, and then shoving the application under some magazines.

I don't advocate smacking the shit out of Fascists because it's so much more fulfilling ensuring their life is more difficult through other means. I also don't judge people who do, well, because fucking Fascism should be stamped out by any means necessary.

Illegal, and unproductive. It is good that you are proud I suppose?

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017

The goal posts have been moved yet again.

So now we've shifted from random violence toward people sporting hateful t-shirts to your hiring practices.

But since we're there, do you inform them that you're either firing them or not hiring them because they are Conservatives? Just curious. As far as I know they aren't Federally protected, but I'd imagine you would face backlash .. spend some time in court anyways, and likely be fired for this. Of course that's assuming that you work within some sort of public corporate framework.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You must truly imagine yourself as infallible. That you could never be wrong about a person and what they support or believe in.

Deleted member 55795

Alt-Account
Banned
Apr 9, 2019

giphy.gif

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I trust them when they tell me who they are, the first time. You should try it sometime

I had written something up, but thought better of going out of my way to defend some rando who posted Trump memes on social media. That's not the kind of person I would jump to defend. At the same time, I try not to think I have everyone figured out based on tiny bits of information.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
That you could never be wrong about a person and what they support or believe in.

So, y'ever hear that phrase "when someone tells you who they are, believe them"? I invite you think about who made the quote, where (and when) they lived, and what kind of circumstances might have led them to come up with it

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It sounds like he was out to troll and probably deserved a punch in the face but you can't. That's the trap

Conal

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
People were being held in cages before Trump, people did not vaccinate their children before Trump, flat earthers existed before Trump. As terrible this shit is, you cannot blame everything on politicians. There will always be morons to be found.

Exactly. These types of people have been around forever. They used to wear swastikas now they wear maga hats.

Not sure when it became frowned upon to want to punch them though.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Exactly. These types of people have been around forever. They used to wear swastikas now they wear maga hats.

Not sure when it became frowned upon to want to punch them though.
I could hear voices, their laughter emanating forth through the last cracks available where light still shone through the coffin. I could hear shovels, and the THUD of dirt hitting the lid inches above my face. As the sound became more distant, the sunlight less frequent, the air getting thicker, with my last breath and a final burst of strength a frail utterance came from my lungs...

..."Civvvvillllliiiittttyyyy"

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
I could hear voices, their laughter emanating forth through the last cracks available where light still shone through the coffin. I could hear shovels, and the THUD of dirt hitting the lid inches above my face. As the sound became more distant, the sunlight less frequent, the air getting thicker, with my last breath and a final burst of strength a frail utterance came from my lungs...

..."Civvvvillllliiiittttyyyy"

And posts like these of yours are why you get asked questions like the one above that you deemed irrelevant.

Myradeer

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Whenever this violence topic comes up, I think... how in the hell encouraging social instability benefit anyone other than Republicans at current juncture?

While, yes, many regard current democratic system in all time low, it's still far better alternative than anarchy.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
Whenever this violence topic comes up, I think... how in the hell encouraging social instability benefit anyone other than Republicans at current juncture?

While, yes, many regard current democratic system in all time low, it's still far better alternative than anarchy.

I was going to ask this earlier.

Like, even if you do say that people you disagree with are fair game - what benefit does that create other than a moment of self satisfaction?

And in the context of what the effects of said action could be, could you call that selfish?

What's the end game?

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
If you can barely restrain yourself from physical violence over a political shirt you need professional help. Not a joke post.

Think of what the people who walked from Selma to Montgomery in 1965 faced and how they conducted themselves and you're contemplating assaulting someone in a restaurant because of a slogan on a shirt.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
And it worked like a charm. This kind of reaction is why idiots wear provocative t-shirts. To provoke people dumb enough to take the bait.
Hey there, I'd appreciate if you don't call me dumb, thanks. Keep it civil please. You're right that they want a reaction, the reaction they want is just some looks or maybe at most some words. If we took MAGA gear as seriously as it warrants, it might be a different story, but as it stands now they are largely free to walk around wearing the parallel of a Swastika.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017

I hate to tell you, but these fascists are knee-deep in encouraging/ engaging in violence.

Onebadlion

Oct 27, 2017
Hey there, I'd appreciate if you don't call me dumb, thanks. Keep it civil please.

Well it is dumb. If you can't handle someone wearing a deliberately provocative t-shirt without giving the person wearing it exactly the reaction they are looking for, you're just encouraging them to keep doing what they're doing by demonstrating that it works.

Oct 27, 2017
If you can barely restrain yourself from physical violence over a political shirt you need professional help. Not a joke post.

Think of what the people who walked from Selma to Montgomery in 1965 faced and how they conducted themselves and you're contemplating assaulting someone in a restaurant because of a slogan on a shirt.

You mean the movement exemplified by the philosophy of MLK? The same MLK that refused to condemn riots?

May I also remind you that the fascists of the time shot him in the fucking face.

What was your point again?

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Politics in the US seem really unhealthy now. People are just echo chambering in their filter bubbles and then suddenly want to punch people...

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
You mean the movement exemplified by the philosophy of MLK? The same MLK that refused to condemn riots?

May I also remind you that the fascists of the time shot him in the fucking face.

What was your point again?
The march was non-violent. The movement prevailed and succeeded specifically because it was non-violent. Read up on James Bevel or Diane Nash. I have no idea what point or fallacy you're trying to point out. I used that march because it is the paradigm example of civil disobedience in this country. I never brought up MLK and you might have a surface level understanding of the event and its origins since you did.

If what a black person faced in 1965 manifested itself in the non-violent political action that I referenced doesn't show the absurdity of this post and how the OP barely prevented themselves from not assaulting someone over a political slogan on a shirt in a restaurant then I don't know what could.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Well it is dumb. If you can't handle someone wearing a deliberately provocative t-shirt without giving the person wearing it exactly the reaction they are looking for, you're just encouraging them to keep doing what they're doing by demonstrating that it works.
So if someone is wearing a shirt advocating police killing minorities, or sexually assaulting women, your answer to that is just to ignore it? Sorry, but fuck that. People *shouldn't* acquiesce to fascism. Call it out when you see it. Make their lives hell so they think twice about doing it again.
Politics in the US seem really unhealthy now. People are just echo chambering in their filter bubbles and then suddenly want to punch people...
That tends to happen when one side is committing hate crimes, spreading lies, and putting children in cages. Yes, it is unhealthy.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
So if someone is wearing a shirt advocating police killing minorities, or sexually assaulting women, your answer to that is just to ignore it? Sorry, but fuck that. People *shouldn't* acquiesce to fascism. Call it out when you see it. Make their lives hell so they think twice about doing it again.

That tends to happen when one side is committing hate crimes, spreading lies, and putting children in cages. Yes, it is unhealthy.

If provocation is all you need to justify violence, then you open up the floor to all sorts.

Provocation is not a justification.

You seem to be posting from a really idealist and sheltered position.

Onebadlion

Oct 27, 2017
So if someone is wearing a shirt advocating police killing minorities, or sexually assaulting women, your answer to that is just to ignore it? Sorry, but fuck that. People *shouldn't* acquiesce to fascism. Call it out when you see it. Make their lives hell so they think twice about doing it again

That's not what happened here though is it? It's just a lazy strawman argument.

Oct 27, 2017
The march was non-violent. The movement prevailed and succeeded specifically because it was non-violent. Read up on James Bevel or Diane Nash. I have no idea what point or fallacy you're trying to point out. I used that march because it is the paradigm example of civil disobedience in this country. I never brought up MLK and you might have a surface level understanding of the event and its origins since you did.

If what a black person faced in 1965 manifested itself in the non-violent political action that I referenced doesn't show the absurdity of this post and how the OP barely prevented themselves from not assaulting someone over a political slogan on a shirt in a restaurant then I don't know what could.

"The March" was not "The Civil Rights Movement". How myopic must you be to try and reduce decades of struggle--and yes, violence--into a single action. I would say it's you who has a very surface level understanding of the fight for freedom, and the costs borne by the people involved.

Go read up on the 1968 Memphis riots, and then tell me about how your DEMAND for Respectability Politics is at odds with the words and actions of the movement.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
"The March" was not "The Civil Rights Movement". How myopic must you be to try and reduce decades of struggle--and yes, violence--into a single action. I would say it's you who has a very surface level understanding of the fight for freedom, and the costs borne by the people involved.

Go read up on the 1968 Memphis riots, and then tell me about how your DEMAND for Respectability Politics is at odds with the words and actions of the movement.
Twist what I posted as much as you want in to something it isn't (demand? huh?) while sidestepping any responsibility to interpret it how it was intended. Literally no clue what you're getting at or why so angry. First ever ignore on here. 'Grats.

Gamonbozia

Feb 25, 2019
It is productive. Hippo is trying to teach them what nearly every minority goes through when seeking employment.

Lmfaooooo. This is gold, hahahaha what a great way to get back at those nazi wannabe pieces of shit. I only hope it hurts them a lot more than a punch to the face.