• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Puroresu_kid

Oct 28, 2017
If the issue is traveling without the other parent, then the "documentation" required looks pretty simple. A letter - doesn't even have to be notarized.

I wonder if they would've accepted an electronic letter and if lidmat could've improvised something once they landed.

Yeah my son has my name and when his mum took him to Morocco I gave her one of these letters just incase they asked.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
And yet the op couldn't do this before his flight? Huh

the regulations regarding minors are relatively new, so maybe the op had been before and none of this was needed, or he saw a different source lacking proper info or he's just really inexperienced.

either way, mistakes happen.

Hopefully op can get it sorted.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
Dubai is a theme park built by recent slavery. I have no sympathy that you don't get to go.

America is a country that was built off slavery. Should I not visit America as well?

Come on. You can visit a country enjoying it without supporting the government running it. It's how I visit a land run by an orange freak who is ruining the world right now.

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
America: The thread

Dubai? Why would you go there?
Dubai? No sympathy for you!
$2300? That's it?

Deleted member 50454

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
I just see a lot of people claim they have a problem with the governments of countries but not the people.

Just so happens the people who live in those countries are brown and Muslim generally (mainly brown)

Errrr... yeah, mate. Presumably you're one of those people who think that criticism of Israel (the government) means that you're an anti-semite.

I wouldn't visit Israel either.

And if it makes you feel any better, I also wouldn't consider travelling to Australia since it's a bit too right wing for me and its treatment of the aboriginal population and asylum seekers is obscene (amongst other shitey things).

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
The hypocrisy in this thread is incredible. I assume most here are either from US or UK. Both run by racist xenophobic governments right now voted by the people (which makes a lot of those people racist and xenophobic). Both countries that were built on top of slavery or raping other countries of their resources via "colonialism".

Deleted member 50454

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
The hypocrisy in this thread is incredible. I assume most here are either from US or UK. Both run by racist xenophobic governments right now voted by the people (which makes a lot of those people racist and xenophobic). Both countries that were built on top of slavery or raping other countries of their resources via "colonialism".

I certainly would advise people not to travel to England.

Shitehole.

Trice

Banned
Nov 3, 2018
Croatia
Looks like the US is off my travel list. Dumb war crime-commiting country built on slavery and genocide.

Why would anyone spend their money to go there?

Freakzilla

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Is this an American thing or am I going crazy?

I work as a travel agent in Melbourne, Australia and I book families to go to Dubai every week. It's a major worldwide family travel destination.

I mean what do you think there's going to be an IED on the way from the airport? You think you're going to be arrest for something because you saw it in the news?

The average Australia (speaking from just anecdotal experience) is more worried about Chicago or Los Angeles when I'm talking to them rather than Dubai. Dubai I just tell them to pack sunscreen. San Francisco I have to tell them how not to get fleeced by homeless people.

Absolutely yes to those questions. But I would be terrified to visit Europe as well. It's bad enough going to a part of town I'm not familiar with travelling to another country with different laws and customs would give me a heart attack. Not to mention things like in the movie hostel and the fact that I look like a typical American I'd be terrified everyone would be trying to poison me or rob me at least. Plus I've never even been inside an airport and the whole ordeal seems not worth it.

Because you can't afford it or due to other reasons?

See above.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017

I felt the same way reading through the thread. I wouldn't go to Dubai but it's fine if people would like to. I am not a fan of Putin or his policies but I went to Russia, I cant point fingers to anyone.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Looks like the US is off my travel list. Dumb war crime-commiting country built on slavery and genocide.

Why would anyone spend their money to go there?

I mean it's already happening since a few months. Tourism is down in America in every region.

Edit: Except for Canada - I wonder why?

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
I have traveled to countries such as UAE, China, Thailand, etc. I've never been more concerned about my safety than when I've been in certain areas in the US. Most other countries are very safe.

Absolutely yes to those questions. But I would be terrified to visit Europe as well. It's bad enough going to a part of town I'm not familiar with travelling to another country with different laws and customs would give me a heart attack. Not to mention things like in the movie hostel and the fact that I look like a typical American I'd be terrified everyone would be trying to poison me or rob me at least. Plus I've never even been inside an airport and the whole ordeal seems not worth it.

See above.

You Americans really need to get out more.

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

See above.

These feelings are very unhealthy. Are you diagnosed with a mental illness?

Oct 28, 2017
I don't want to beat you up too bad over this but....

Word of advice from someone who has been there, don't EVER plan an expensive vacation if you have young children or sick and elderly parents without buying travel insurance.

Trice

Banned
Nov 3, 2018
Croatia

I hope you're trolling

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017

See above.
Is this sarcasm? I can't tell.

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I felt the same way reading through the thread. I wouldn't go to Dubai but it's fine if people would like to. I am not a fan of Putin or his policies but I went to Russia, I cant point fingers to anyone.

Yes, people travel to experience a new culture and meet new people. To see new sights and contextualize history. Not to support a government. This board is obsessed with using their money to "support" someone. Developers, companies, governments...

Just donate to charity if you want your money to go somewhere noble.

Freakzilla

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
Freakzila stop watching Fox News or CNN. The world out there isn't some dangerous place. I guarantee you that your personal safety would be better in Dubai then say Chicago.

Trice

Banned
Nov 3, 2018
Croatia
Yes, people travel to experience a new culture and meet new people. To see new sights and contextualize history. Not to support a government. This board is obsessed with using their money to "support" someone. Developers, companies, governments...

Just donate to charity if you want your money to go somewhere noble.
And most of the time it's just idiotic because they almost always unknowingly support something or someone who's 'bad'.

You'd starve to death if you were to only support ethical companies and things, unless you grow your own food and water, but then maybe you're an asshole as well so that don't work either. It's ridiculous.

Hassel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

See above.

Your fear is not rational. You need to get over it for the sake of your children.

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nah, it's more having to worry about the language barrier depending on what city I went to and if I didn't go with someone who knows the language. I wouldn't think it was unsafe in general, but just relative to Dubai.

You would be fine. At least in Moscow and Saint Petersburg. The language barriers are not as bad as you might think. Google maps works perfectly in all cases. The subway system covers the entire cities. You can get an unlimited data SIM chip for 5 bucks a month. Etc.

The West has a very restricted view of Russia still, in 2019. It's crazy.

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One reason would be the homophobic laws in Russia, but I wouldn't be surprised if Dubai had something similar.

The stance of Russia's government on homosexuality is deplorable. But in the day to day? Even in normal bars/clubs no one will bat an eye at a gay couple. Younger generation is more open and liberal.

Freakzilla

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
At least in the US I can understand the language and be a little more aware of the dangers around me. For example, if I leave the city I know there are redhats that will hate me or want to kill me because I'm not white. In another country I I'm as in tune with what is up and wouldn't know local roads to get to the police or to just get to safety. Hell, the police in other countries would probably try to fuck me because I'm a tourist and a stupid American. And what If I got hurt or in an accident? I don't know how laws or insurance works over there. It would be too stressful.

Edit: My wife wants us to go to Poland to see her family but fuck that. They are too alt right now.

EDebs1916

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Freakzila stop watching Fox News or CNN. The world out there isn't some dangerous place. I guarantee you that your personal safety would be better in Dubai then say Chicago.

I guarantee that defending a city from a stereotype by using another stereotype is asinine. Chicago has over 50 million tourists a year.

Beyond that, maybe some people don't want to go to Dubai because they have the death penalty for such crimes as apostasy, homosexual activity and blasphemy.