• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, passport control almost didn't let my wife into Vietnam even though she had a pre-approved Visa.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
That sucks OP

People may have different reasons to go to Dubai or anywhere in UAE or any country (be it personal, religious, family, vacation ,etc ) - doesn't matter .

Some of my family members have lived in UAE and I have visited several times - had no issues

Obviously every experience is different and obviously every country has problems.

Main point is OP's dilemma , not his location

Maybe you can speak with a manager or contact your travel agent - it might even be a miscommunication

Frunkle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At least OP can take solace in people using his misfortune as an opportunity to grandstand their morality while simultaneously shaming him for being "privileged" enough to be able to save money to take his loved ones on a vacation.

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
I'm sorry you missed out on the slave labor camps :(. But for real sucks OP hope you get some money back. Start a go fund me

MrOblong

Oct 27, 2017
At least OP can take solace in people using his misfortune as an opportunity to grandstand their morality while simultaneously shaming him for being "privileged" enough to be able to save money to take his loved ones on a vacation.

Oh no, we'd better not talk about morality or else we might be accused of "grandstanding"! People find something objectionable and so they talk about it, that's how this works.

Just like every other dull post decrying the virtue-signalling of others, you're taken the opportunity to signal your own virtue by criticising the critical contributions of others. You're not even addressing the topic at hand, just forum posters. Tell me again who's grandstanding?

Also, as a procedural matter, it's not misfortune if you don't read the travel guidance before you go.

Frunkle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh no, we'd better not talk about morality or else we might be accused of "grandstanding"! People find something objectionable and so they talk about it, that's how this works.

Just like every other dull post decrying the virtue-signalling of others, you're taken the opportunity to signal your own virtue by criticising the critical contributions of others. You're not even addressing the topic at hand, just forum posters. Tell me again who's grandstanding?

Also, as a procedural matter, it's not misfortune if you don't read the travel guidance before you go.

Ooop, found one

Pickman

Nov 20, 2017
Huntington, WV
My buddy had a huge week long trip to the Grand Cayman planned and they were leaving tomorrow. Today his 2 year old got diagnosed with the flu. Had to cancel the whole thing last minute and he's in the same boat, no refunds available.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
We are imperfect beings and life is messy. I am sympathetic to the reality that we all cause damage at times, regardless of our intentions. That being said, your flippant dismissal and facile equivocation is a very poor excuse for supporting a clear and ongoing evil, even if that trite argument is all the rhetorical salve you need to feel happy about your actions.

I think the United States of America, as a government entity and a country, not as a nation of peoples, is a clear and ongoing evil. I can name the many recent ways I support this opinion if you want.

I also think China and Russia are as well to be clear.

But with that opinion, it doesn't change me visiting there or my opinion of the people there.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
Yes but also no.

My dad required hospital treatment in Florida and the bill they send us was over 300k which insurance paid for.

Admittedly if he didn't have insurance we'd be telling the hospital to shove the bill up their arse, but still it's good to know it can be resolved in a more official way.

Although I'm sorry for Americans who have to deal with that sort of shit looming over their heads when they are ill.

And they don't have the virtue of being able to tell the hospital to shove the bill up their arse either.
Mostly these expenses dont require an extra insurance that you sign with the vacation.

In Germany ADAC covers a lot of expenses abroad. Even ordinary Hausrats-insurance covers at least the hotel expenses.

So i'd still call bunch of them unnecessary.

Oct 29, 2017
Standard ResetEra thread:

Page 1: Memes, THAT FIRST POST, omg looooool, MEMES
Page 2: Those memes were super funny
Page 3: Guess we should talk about the OP, huh?
Page 9: Gohan didn't deserve to lose to Buu
Page 21: Serious intellectual discussion on Dubai government and customs

Page 7: People giving attention to one poster that craves to be the center of attention.
Page 11: People angry at the first 10 pages.
Page 23: People reacting to a person with radical political views.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Travel insurance is a 100% scam.

This isn't true. Do you have to be careful when buying? Yeah. Do you have to read ALL the fine print? Yeah.

But it can also save your ass. You also have to be careful when traveling to other countries b/c most people's health insurance doesn't cover you when you leave your home country (at least in the US).

I have a friend who's daughter got very ill while traveling in France and it bankrupt him, totally wiped out everything including his retirement savings and then some.

Goldenroad

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
This isn't true. Do you have to be careful when buying? Yeah. Do you have to read ALL the fine print? Yeah.

But it can also save your ass. You also have to be careful when traveling to other countries b/c most people's health insurance doesn't cover you when you leave your home country (at least in the US).

I have a friend who's daughter got very ill while traveling in France and it bankrupt him, totally wiped out everything including his retirement savings and then some.

I think there is some confusion here over travel insurance for medical expenses vs travel insurance for trip cancellation/interruption. For the most part, medical costs will get covered under most travel insurance plans, but cancellation/interruption is a very difficult thing to claim through most policies. A couple years ago my dad bought his sister a last minute cruise through the Panama Canal for them to go on for her 70th birthday. They also offered him "trip cancellation insurance" for $150 extra per person in case anything happened and they couldn't make it. He took it. Then after reading the very fine print in this 60 page document, it turns out that the only way to collect on the cancellation insurance would be if you cancelled minimum 6 weeks in advance, and only in the situation of your own death or a death in the family with a death certificate provided (who is thinking about a trip they have to cancel at a time like that, especially 6 weeks out?). He booked the cruise two weeks in advance. So they sold him a policy that he straight up could not ever collect on.

I bought cancellation insurance for a trip to Europe that I booked once too, and I ended up having to cancel and there was literally no way to get the money back, again, unless I had doctors note that it was a medical emergency, or if I provided a death certificate for an immediate family member.

Medical insurance is different though. Not necessarily the same loopholes to jump through.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I think there is some confusion here over travel insurance for medical expenses vs travel insurance for trip cancellation/interruption. For the most part, medical costs will get covered under most travel insurance plans, but cancellation/interruption is a very difficult thing to claim through most policies. A couple years ago my dad bought his sister a last minute cruise through the Panama Canal for them to go on for her 70th birthday. They also offered him "trip cancellation insurance" for $150 extra per person in case anything happened and they couldn't make it. He took it. Then after reading the very fine print in this 60 page document, it turns out that the only way to collect on the cancellation insurance would be if you cancelled minimum 6 weeks in advance, and only in the situation of your own death or a death in the family with a death certificate provided (who is thinking about a trip they have to cancel at a time like that, especially 6 weeks out?). He booked the cruise two weeks in advance. So they sold him a policy that he straight up could not ever collect on.

I bought cancellation insurance for a trip to Europe that I booked once too, and I ended up having to cancel and there was literally no way to get the money back, again, unless I had doctors note that it was a medical emergency, or if I provided a death certificate for an immediate family member.

Medical insurance is different though. Not necessarily the same loopholes to jump through.
Yeah, I should have specified that I was strictly referring to cancellation

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017

I agree to an extent, but again the key is reading the fine print. You can usually read it in advance to identify exactly what is and isn't covered, along with what documentation is required. There's also a cancellation period after you buy (15 days or whatever). For example, canceling due to work or a medical issue might possibly require waivers and it'll tell you what is needed in terms of documentation.

Most also offer an "any reason" provision for more money and it has far fewer (but still some) exclusions. Usually it's a safety net that covers most of the loopholes and refunds 75%.

The biggest issue is that wading through the lengthy agreement (which might be 15-60+ pages) is more than many people will be comfortable with. I have insurance for an upcoming trip and it's specifically to guard against unforeseen medical or work-related emergencies. I know exactly what documents would be needed, and I got a note from my doctor that I was fit to travel when the policy was purchased (another loophole).

Anyways, I'd downgrade it from "scam" to "minefield". If you do need it, you either need a TRUSTED travel agent to assist.. or go do research and buy independently. Don't just grab whatever the travel package offers as an add-on.

Goldenroad

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I agree to an extent, but again the key is reading the fine print. You can usually read it in advance to identify exactly what is and isn't covered, along with what documentation is required. For example, canceling due to work or a medical issue might possibly require waivers and it'll tell you what is needed in terms of documentation.

Most also offer an "any reason" provision for more money and it has far fewer (but still some) exclusions. Usually it's a safety net that covers most of the loopholes and refunds 75%.

The biggest issue is that wading through the lengthy agreement (which might be 15-60+ pages) is more than many people will be comfortable with. I have insurance for an upcoming trip and it's specifically to guard against unforeseen medical or work-related emergencies. I know exactly what documents would be needed, and I got a note from my doctor that I was fit to travel when the policy was purchased (another loophole).

Anyways, I'd downgrade it from "scam" to "minefield". If you do need it, you either need a TRUSTED travel agent to assist.. or go do research and buy independently. Don't just grab whatever the travel package offers as an add-on.

Yeah...for sure. I just think, if we're going back to the OP's situation, any insurance adjuster is going to call this negligence on his part to get out of having to pay this claim out. Insurance companies don't make money by paying out claims and they look for any way possible to get out of it, and OP not having documents properly prepared would be a definite out for them.

sooperkool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yep :/

I don't mean any offense but that does sound like a very American mindset. The world isn't as scary as you think it is. I know many people who have taken their kids to all corners of the world. Dubai is a very safe city as well.

QUOTE="tabris, post: 18644624, member: 18149"]The hypocrisy in this thread is incredible. I assume most here are either from US or UK. Both run by racist xenophobic governments right now voted by the people (which makes a lot of those people racist and xenophobic). Both countries that were built on top of slavery or raping other countries of their resources via "colonialism".

None of this is true, it's obvious you don't know much about America but that's every one in Era, they watch TV or visit one City and get they can speak with authority on an things American.

Last edited:

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
None of this is true, it's obvious you don't know much about America but that's every one in Era, they watch TV or visit one Curry and get they can speak with authority on an things American.

I've been to 37 states, more than the majority of Americans. I've lived in the US for an aggregate of a year and 3 months (SF for 1 year and Boston for 3 months). Probably over 3 years if you include time spent in US via work travel.

Golden

Banned
Dec 9, 2018

There are hundreds of less ethically comprised holiday destinations.

sooperkool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been to 37 states, more than the majority of Americans. I've lived in the US for an aggregate of a year and 3 months (SF for 1 year and Boston for 3 months). Probably over 3 years if you include time spent in US via work travel.
And you still don't know much about this country. I've traveled to 19 countries, lived in about 5, not counting the 40+ years I've lived as an American citizen and truthfully your a tourist here. Just as I was the years I lived in Europe.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
And you still don't know much about this country. I've traveled to 19 countries, lived in about 5, not counting the 40+ years I've lived as an American citizen and truthfully your a tourist here. Just as I was the years I lived in Europe.

How do you know what I do or don't know?

I know most of the people in this thread haven't been to Dubai though so they are talking without any experience.

Have you been to the UAE?

Golden

Banned
Dec 9, 2018

I know most of the people in this thread haven't been to Dubai though so they are talking without any experience.

I think you are missing the point that, many of us wouldn't go for ethical reasons.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Living in one place, especially San Fran, for a short period of time doesn't mean much.

Your ethical reasons are funnelled by a narrow and hypocritical perspective.

And your privilege in this situation doesn't help. Smh

sooperkool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

No, I haven't; but I haven't commented once on the UAE. I do however take offense at some of you acting like the authority on the United States when you have no claim to even know that much about us. Yeah, i get that you've traveled a bit and you've lived here in the city for a hot minute but don't post like you know the mindset or tendencies of American's when for all your living here and all your traveling you haven't even seen 1% of the disparate communities, peoples and mindsets of this country. Some of us have been here for centuries and still can't make that statement.

Edit: BTW, a country of 3.8 million square miles with 350+ million people in it composed of various socio-economic and culutural differences; it is quite easy for me to determine that you can't possibly know enough about any of them to speak as some sort of authority.

Last edited:

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
Why would I go to a country whose government wants to kill me?

(Assuming you are speaking of LGBT, if not ignore the below):

They are backwards on laws (but best way to change that is to expose people to the thing they are afraid of to change their perspective) but I also saw LGBTQ people in Dubai. Or the LGBQ part at least.

https://queerintheworld.com/gay-dubai-uae-travel-guide/

Yes, you are going to need to either know someone or make some friends through gay hookup apps. One silver lining is the UAE is a very private, and respect for that privacy is of the utmost importance. Therefore paranoia is not needed as people will not pry into your personal business, and the Sharia Police will not come knocking on your hotel door.

Almost all reports for arrests for same-sex sexual activity we could find involved having sex in a public place, so in case you were in doubt public displays of affection are unquestionably off-limits whether you are gay, straight or unicorn. Other than that, the population of Dubai is over 90% expats – many of who have very liberal values – so there is no need to live in fear and not enjoy yourself here. Just be cautious in public.

We don't generally advise boycotting destinations which heavily suppress LGBT right, as such an approach is often counter-productive, but obviously, the choice is yours

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
I'm from dubai and have lived in Texas since '97. As someone who has been subjected to beatings, having a gun held to his head , occasionally gets called a sand n******, and who has a wife and two daughters that are at risk of some sexual harassment, I'm appalled that people here are standing on some moral pedestal .

I'm all for breaking down the inherent problems with any one country's government , but I don't find it constructive to be arrogant ( and even ignorant in many cases ) about it. I also think it is not constructive to reduce anyone country by seeing it through any singular lens. If we here were afforded the same courtesy and judged by school shootings only, for example, I'm sure anyone can be just as dismissive of our country.

To remain on-topic: always check with an embassy before flying to a different country. Always

borghe

Oct 27, 2017
If feel like the OP is missing a critical detail
I don't know what his relationship situation is with the kids' mother. If he and the mother are married (or even just in a relationship, I guess)... I Can understand him maybe not thinking or realizing he needs written, signed and notarized authorization for the kids to leave the country.

if he and the mother are not together... that's really sort of on him. being separated from your kids' other parent is a lifetime (Well, 18 years worth) of dotting every "i" and crossing every "t". provided you have joint custody, essentially anything legal... you better have a written letter from the other one. otherwise odds are good you're going to have trouble (moving long distance, traveling abroad, taxes, serious medical stuff). nd some of the stuff (like traveling) joint custody doesn't ever matter.

Cilla

Oct 29, 2017
Queensland, Australia
Pretty much the same requirements to enter or leave the United States with a minor. Especially if traveling with the non custodial parent.

Opening this thread terrified me. I feel sorry for the OP!

In June I will be flying to the US for 4-5 weeks with my two year old daughter to visit my partner and his family. I have been before but this is the first time I will be taking my daughter. I have looked into it and I will be taking

- A certified stat dec from her dad clearly saying that I have permission to take her for the dates I am going and to where
- Her birth certificate
- A certified copy of her dads passport and his contact details.

Not sure if I am missing anything though! I am stressing out at the thought of dealing with a LONG trip from Australia on my own with my toddler let alone dealing with this so.

sooperkool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

In June I will be flying to the US for 4-5 weeks with my two year old daughter to visit my partner and his family. I have been before but this is the first time I will be taking my daughter. I have looked into it and I will be taking

- A certified stat dec from her dad clearly saying that I have permission to take her for the dates I am going and to where
- Her birth certificate

Not sure if I am missing anything though! I am stressing out at the thought of dealing with a LONG trip from Australia on my own with my toddler let alone dealing with this so.

I f you are the parent of record on her birth certificate. that seems like all you would need but if you access to an embassy, ask if there is anything else they would want

Hassel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

- Her birth certificate

Get Her a passport

https://www.passports.gov.au/passports-explained/childrens-passports