• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FutureLarking

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's madness that I've had better performance with PS Now than I do with remote play over the local network, but it is what it is!

Qrusher14242

Oct 29, 2017
I tried it at home on a PC with Bloodborne and MLB the show. No matter what i did i always had input lag :( PS4 was on ethernet too. Also didnt run that great, but the lag made BB impossible to play

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
Being niche has to do with the fact that not as many people will know or bother to use it. Thus, you can't really put it on the same level of something like a Switch. Usefulness has nothing to do with it.
How does people not utilizing something matter though? That doesn't change any of the qualities of the feature. You're essentially telling me something needs to be popular to matter... You started out saying it's not an alternative for those who don't own a handheld and I'm saying it is if it works on their network. I already pointed out it's not the same as dedicated hardware but I was never arguing that it's equal to a Switch or Vita.

Last edited:

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vita owners claimed it worked great for years. I always kinda doubted that but since I never wanted to buy a Vita there wasn't much way for me to refute it. It always just seemed to me that if such a thing were possible you would see many more companies attempting it.

Oct 27, 2017
I only used it a few times, and only over local. It wasn't great but was nice on occasion for certain things.

I was able to do some farming in destiny and a slow paced game like Persona 5 I was able to play without much issue.

It would still just D/C for no reason on occasion though.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
Vita owners claimed it worked great for years. I always kinda doubted that but since I never wanted to buy a Vita there wasn't much way for me to refute it. It always just seemed to me that if such a thing were possible you would see many more companies attempting it.
Sony was able to get it working because they bought Gaikai. Gaikai technology powers Remote Play and Share Play.

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
I've been using it recently on pc with few issues, but it's noticeably a cheaper feeling streaming experience than say steam in home streaming

Like ps now, Sony's streaming tech was a horse quick out the gate that is starting to flag early in the race

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I've played through the entirety of Persona 5, Horizon:ZD, and a good deal of Destiny 1 using remote play (on a desktop PC and a Vita) and didn't have any of the issues you mentioned having OP. It's possible your Surface overheated while streaming, or it was draining power too quickly if you had it in battery mode and it was throttling. It's hard to know what the issue could be with so many possible points of failure, but I do know the experience can be a great one!

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
There's been a couple of cases that I tried using remote play. It's pretty good for games that don't require L2/R2 that much. For twitchy stuff, i'd stray away though. Tried playing for honor and I was able to somewhat manage, but boy was it painful to play.

I can see it really coming into play with RPG's/turned based games. Played yakuza 6's clan creator mode a hefty amount and had a fairly positive experience while connecting from my phone's hotspot!

I definitely would like to see this being improved and implemented in the next gen for sure. I feel there's definitely something that really appealing having the option to play portably and on the comfort of your big tv.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I've been using it recently on pc with few issues, but it's noticeably a cheaper feeling streaming experience than say steam in home streaming

Like ps now, Sony's streaming tech was a horse quick out the gate that is starting to flag early in the race

That's because you can unlock Steam Streaming's bandwidth, giving you a much nicer quality stream.

Hell, looks like Sony only recently unlocked 1080p streaming for everyone. Before, those with older PS4s were stuck with 720p max.

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
That's because you can unlock Steam Streaming's bandwidth, giving you a much nicer quality stream.

Hell, looks like Sony only recently unlocked 1080p streaming for everyone. Before, those with older PS4s were stuck with 720p max.

I dont know what the res was, but this was playing rdr2 and it looked a lot greasier on the stream. That usual layer of vasaline on the display and what felt like a slower frame rate

This was on a new PS4 pro

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
I used it to play a lot of Dragon Quest XI on my Vita since we just had a baby.

That said, it played like garbled fucking ass and a half most of the time. A lot of times I had to try to force it to connect for a good 20 minutes before it finally would. Then it would either play ok or like butt. Action games would be impossible. I have a decent connection, but can't get my PS4 directly connected to my router unfortunately. It's one floor down in my house and just in a weird spot.

Unfortunate because I'd use it a ton if it actually worked decently.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
I played a match of PES on my Vita, in the same network (PS4 is wired), noticeable input lag but played just fine. I don't have a Vita anymore and I didn't know you could do it on a PC.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I dont know what the res was, but this was playing rdr2 and it looked a lot greasier on the stream. That usual layer of vasaline on the display and what felt like a slower frame rate

This was on a new PS4 pro

That's because of the compression. Even at 1080p, it's going to look a bit messy, especially on games with a lot of high-frequency detail (like RDR2).

The pro can stream 1080p60.
You can chose the res and fps in the clients.

All PS4s can now, at least with remote play (idk about share play or twitch streaming).

They updated the client somewhat recently to allow it.

Edit: Shareplay can also be 1080/60 on standard PS4s.

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
That's because of the compression. Even at 1080p, it's going to look a bit messy, especially on games with a lot of high-frequency detail (like RDR2).

All PS4s can now, at least with remote play (idk about share play or twitch streaming).

They updated the client somewhat recently to allow it.

Yeah that's kinda what I mean. My shield portable handheld can do a better streaming job from the cloud than Sony's tech.
They need to step it up and invest in this end of their business, cos that's where the money trees are growing

Madrugador

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
No and that's the worst part of the whole thing actually.
I ended up buying an xperia phone (which btw I'm extremely happy with in other ways now) to do it.

But it should absolutely have open android and iphone apps.

Such a missed opportunity. Hopefully Sony let us all have it when PS5 comes out.

Turnabout Sisters

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
for me local on ps4 ethernet to pc on ethernet is wildly good. I'm very sensitive to fr drops and input lag but playing bloodborne or whatever on my pc is great, max settings for regular ps4

Noob Pilot

Jun 10, 2018
Remote Play is amazing when used through the internet. However, if you're actually at home on your PS4 you shouldn't use it because there's some input lag that is inherently part of it. There is no way to get rid of the tiny input lag even with the perfect connection, something to do with the chip inside the PS4.

When I play games a hundred kilometers away it's acceptable, because it doesn't seem to add any input lag to the experience. But locally it sucks.
I use the vita as a fourth controller when playing Towerfall Ascension with my mates and it works great locally for me.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
I use the vita as a fourth controller when playing Towerfall Ascension with my mates and it works great locally for me.

I actually discovered audio lag with my tv and ARC to the sound bar when using remote play next to the TV.
The mobile phone played the audio _before_ the soundbar.. Like 100 ms before or so. It sent me into an investigation and eventually I got an optic cable to connect the PS4 directly to the sound bar and the audio became perfectly synced between mobile and bar.
There is very little latency locally for me with both PS4 and mobile on 5G wireless.

Input also feels like playing locally but I'm not very perceptive when it comes to that.. I notice input lag in RDR2 but I can't separate different fighting games for instance.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
You know what DOESN'T work well?
Trying to play and complete the Nioh alpha (for the exclusive rewards) on a Vita when you're vacationing one ocean, one continent, and almost 7,000 miles away from your PS4.

I did it. Because I wouldn't be back in time before the end of the alpha and didn't want to miss out on the rewards. Wow, it suuuuuuuucked. Especially the boss fight.

Agent X

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
So I guess somehow it works technically much better with a vita than a PC app

I'd say the opposite: Remote Play works much better with a PC instead of a Vita.

I think it's fine on Vita, for what it is. It's a great pocket-sized solution. But on a PC, you have many advantages over Vita: higher screen resolution, ability to use a DualShock 4 controller, and (depending on your PC) ability to use a 5 GHz Wi-Fi connection.

From my experience, the Vita connection can be flaky at times, resulting in occasional hitches and hiccups. Remote Play on PC is generally rock solid, with better image quality and far fewer hitches.

I still use the Vita for Remote Play occasionally. Over the last couple of weeks, I played a few sessions of Dangerous Golf through Remote Play on Vita. That paarticular game actually works very well with Vita, as it doesn't have very demanding controls.

Oct 28, 2017
Sony never releasing a Vita revision designed with remote play in mind is a goddamn travesty.

Remote play is something I used to use very regularly but the controls were always the biggest hurdle. It ran pretty well though. Not perfect though.

Sinfamy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I played a few matches of Street Fighter V on the Vita and it worked well, I have the RT-AC68U.
But having to use the touch area on the back for L2/R2 is terrible. I wish it had little buttons like the New 3DS or the Switch.

SaraNWrap

Alt account
Banned
Jan 30, 2019
You know, i've had a PS4 and a Vita since their respective launches but I don't think i've ever once used Remote Play.

Do I just need to set it up to my wired PS4 then I can connect my Vita away from home?

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
I played a few matches of Street Fighter V on the Vita and it worked well, I have the RT-AC68U.
But having to use the touch area on the back for L2/R2 is terrible. I wish it had little buttons like the New 3DS or the Switch.
They do have 3rd party peripherals you can use to give it physical R2/L2 buttons which help.