• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you like Going against Spammers?

• Yes it's Easy

Votes: 124 38.3%
  • Yes it's Good Practice

Votes: 96 29.6%
  • Neutral Feelings

Votes: 45 13.9%
  • No it's Hard

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • No it's Unfun

Votes: 61 18.8%
  • No it's bad Practice

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • I'm the Spammer lol 😂

Votes: 66 20.4%

• Total voters

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
Still Getting my ass kicked at Floor 2 on GG Strive but I am slowly getting a bit better.

One of the Great things so far is I'm running into a lot of low level players who spam 1 or 2 Moves/ Strategy/ Approach

Both in Smash bros or Strive one of 2 things happen when you're opponent Spams, either you Win because doing one thing is predictable or You lose because you can't beat that one thing (meaning your getting active practice at something your bad at. 😊)

As a newcomer to traditional fighting games and Strive I'm obviously losing a lot and it can a little hard to know what exactly I did wrong when someone is blowing me up with there whole kit.

When only a couple of approaches are used tho I get to learn the game faster because I can Laser in on How do I beat this specific move. I can practice multiple ways to defend or Counter strike 1 thing at a time then once I learn that start piecing it together with my other knowledge.

I went through the same with smash bros players who spam are very helpful in the learning phase and then once you learn alot you can start to take apart spammers pretty easy and you know what to do against more balanced aprouches too when you put the totality of your experience together.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
sorry if you faced me online, its not like i want to spam one move, its just that i just know one useful move (i know the self harming move as well but i dont want to use that)

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
W3jalM9.png

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
It's part of how the game was designed, if they can do the moves, I don't see a problem with it.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
Fighting spammers is like a rite of passage: it's painful, but you have to do it. Losing to one move feels so awful because you know it's stupid and you know you should find a way to counter it, but sometimes you can't adapt fast enough. On the other hand, it's really satisfying when you know what they're doing and beat them.

Last edited:

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
As a noob it was rage-inducing, like if the spammer is in their corner and spamming projectiles lol.

But after I 'got gud', yes it's basically a good way to practice and train muscle memory without going into practice mode. Like, how to anti-air spammers who love jumping around. Or in the case of projectiles, practising the best move to get you across the screen fast.

I wouldn't call it 'easy', as if I lose concentration I will be punished and feel foolish. But it's not rage-inducing for me anymore.

Oct 25, 2017
Yes it's easy and no it's unfun are both true.

But yes, I don't mind going up against someone repetitive. Makes it easy to figure them out.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
I knew a kid who won like 20 matches in a row in MK1 on SNES against a bunch of fucking nerds just by using a basic jump kick.

And then the nerdiest of those nerds finally figured out the timing and beat him next round.

That nerdiest one was me.

Mino

Oct 28, 2017
I remember my older brother spamming Blanka's electricity in SF2 , it used to drive me crazy. Incidently when I learned how to do fireballs and counter it he refused to play with me lol

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
Fighting "spammers" is the quickest way to learn other characters. Only thing that sucks about people who spam is they usually leave the moment you get a hang of their strategy.

Hero Prinny

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Think is extremely boring going against spammers regardless of how easy or not it is to counter. Would rather play someone who's actually interested in playing the game proper than just doing 1 input over and over. I can just go to training mode and set the AI to do that if thats how i want to waste my time playing

Zissou

Oct 26, 2017
Think is extremely boring going against spammers regardless of how easy or not it is to counter. Would rather play someone who's actually interested in playing the game proper than just doing 1 input over and over. I can just go to training mode and set the AI to do that if thats how i want to waste my time playing

If you can beat somebody spamming a single move over and over, you'll quickly advance to a rank where you'll no longer encounter it. If you can't beat it, you're playing someone roughly at your same skill level (and you are playing the game proper, just at a low level).

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
Once you're at the "random people can't beat me with button mashing" level of ability, it's practice. The exception is if it's something that's impossible to properly counter with latency, but even then... if they're really just spamming you can predict it.

Obviously it's just easy if you already know how to counter the move, I'm talking about someone actually finding success spamming against you.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
I used to hate it then I learned to take it as a training opportunity I start testing out what buttons beat it, could I do this new thing I never tried etc

Cana

â–² Legend â–²
Mar 27, 2021
yall remember the SFV Laura knee bot

honestly was helpful when i first started out

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
No, it's unfun BUT ALSO yes, it's good practice.

If they're spamming one move, it's because it works, which is, generally, as much your fault as it is theirs / the game's. Adapt or die, basically.

Mesoian

â–² Legend â–²
Oct 28, 2017
The very first thing I'll do in a match up is let my opponent know that I will not allow them to jump in.

Once that is established, it's wild to see 80% of people fall apart.

That being said, if they're spamming one move, that's an easy win. But I likely will not rematch.

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I like it because it's either an easy win or it teaches me to deal with that specific bullshit.

I remember in Street Fighter V I got paired up with someone who was obviously completely new to fighting games, and I kept getting him with just a basic sweep. So I started crouch blocking his attacks a lot so he could see that that was a thing, and then I'd go back to sweeping and if he got hit I'd go back to crouch blocking. By the end of the rounds I successfully taught him how to crouch block and I felt really good about that.

PJTierney

Social Media Manager • EA SPORTS WRC
Verified
Mar 28, 2021
Warwick, UK
If that one move is the optimal strategy, it is a player's duty to spam it if they're playing to win.

The few times I've seen it however (Street Fighter V) it's normally been one of those AFK macros that's just clocking up matches to grind Fight Money.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
dunno how fighting games work around this now (if at all) but nothing pleased me more than doing this to some backwards cap dude in the arcade and he's like NO MAN NO YOU CANT DO THIS. WTF HOW

a Question

Oct 28, 2017
True master is the on who is able to fight other 3 masters, 3 rookies and a complete lunatic. As Tekken player this saying never been so TRUE. Tekken lunatics are the worst cuz you forget your basics and just adapting to the their unpredictivnes. If its 1 spam moves is ok but beyond that its eitehr managable or infunirating at times.

Maximillian got first hand expirience with red Rank where he was having no fun untill got over it.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
True master is the on who is able to fight other 3 masters, 3 rookies and a complete lunatic. As Tekken player this saying never been so TRUE. Tekken lunatics are the worst cuz you forget your basics and just adapting to the their unpredictivnes. If its 1 spam moves is ok but beyond that its eitehr managable or infunirating at times.

Maximillian got first hand expirience with red Rank where he was having no fun untill got over it.
The lunatics are more dangerous than any spammer. It's complete chaos.

Raysoul

Fat4All Ruined My Rug
Oct 26, 2017
I sometimes spam jabs and punish with a non-combo heavy attack on my opponents. If I combo, I sometimes end it with a weak attack or end it prematurely.

Sometimes it's effective.