• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you like Going against Spammers?

• Yes it's Easy

Votes: 124 38.3%
  • Yes it's Good Practice

Votes: 96 29.6%
  • Neutral Feelings

Votes: 45 13.9%
  • No it's Hard

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • No it's Unfun

Votes: 61 18.8%
  • No it's bad Practice

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • I'm the Spammer lol šŸ˜‚

Votes: 66 20.4%

• Total voters

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I don't mind. If it's something punishable it's an easy win. If it's fireball spam against my own rushdown character it's simply smart play on their part.

I agree lunatics are the real danger. Spammers at least respect you, which is exactly why they spam. Lunatics respect no one, not even their own mothers.

Matrix Monkey

Dec 30, 2017
My best friend refuses to play Mortal Kombat with me because I spammed Nightwolf's shoulder charge attack against him. This happened like 15 years ago and he still won't play me.

Oct 25, 2017
No, I'm not a big fan of it in most cases. But I also rarely ever come across it.

I guess it also depends on what you consider spam.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
What's hilarious is when you catch the rhythm of their spam and then you can just see them in game give up and go idle

2nd place is when you constantly counter their spam with one move and then they get mad at you for spamming the counter haha

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
I mean if it's working, I'm going to keep spamming against you. Just remember - it shouldn't be working.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
i dont mind until you run into a spammer that immediately rage quits when the shit doesnt work. Dont quit the match just because your one trick doesnt work on someone who knows how to beat it.

Phatmanny

Nov 14, 2017
that's always my favorite situation to teach people about frame data in an easy way.

I never tell people to learn the numbers, you don't need to know something is -3 +1 or whatever to even get to a high level.

Just understand when it's "your turn" and just press a fast button your comfortable with. Then suddenly your in like the top 20% of players.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
It's pretty easy until it's dumb.

Like, in most games in most matchups it just makes the match really predictable, and therefore easy, but in certain situations it can just be really annoying and hard to deal with.

I really dislike how safe guile is with his projectiles. You have to guess to have any hope of punishing them, with other characters you tend to have more on-reaction options that can help deter their use.

So I guess it depends on the design of the game. Obviously a game can be designed so that single moves are very dominant and that can lead to boring gameplay, I'm not saying that's the case with Guile necessarily though. But probably with some Injustice characters for instance.

With all of that said, I'd never blame the player. It's the design and they're playing a competitive game, competitively, If I can't deal with it then that's on me.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I'm a spammer, because I'm too lazy to learn the moves for each character. Is there an anti spam FG?

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, if someone is just spamming a move and it is working, then it gives me an opportunity to figure out how to beat it. And if they are spamming a move and I am easily able to beat it, then it gives me an opportunity to try some of the combos I have been practicing that I'm not able to land consistently yet. Either way, it is good practice.
It's pretty easy until it's dumb.

Like, in most games in most matchups it just makes the match really predictable, and therefore easy, but in certain situations it can just be really annoying and hard to deal with.

I really dislike how safe guile is with his projectiles. You have to guess to have any hope of punishing them, with other characters you tend to have more on-reaction options that can help deter their use.

So I guess it depends on the design of the game. Obviously a game can be designed so that single moves are very dominant and that can lead to boring gameplay, I'm not saying that's the case with Guile necessarily though. But probably with some Injustice characters for instance.

With all of that said, I'd never blame the player. It's the design and they're playing a competitive game, competitively, If I can't deal with it then that's on me.
I have never hidden my hatred of Guile, but an effective Guile isn't really spamming, they are using his entire movekit, the problem is he only has two moves. The biggest issue with Guile is that they often make him too good up close. So, he often gets to be amazing at range, and very good when in your face, which just feels like bullshit.

I'm a spammer, because I'm too lazy to learn the moves for each character. Is there an anti spam FG?
Every fighting game is an anti-spam fighting game. You can't play well if all you do is spam.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017

There's games will cooldowns like Granblue etc, which kinda stop that from happening. Even stuff like Art of Fighting (1992) had a meter so you'd only get like 3 special moves until you ran out.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Morrigan in mvc3 was one of the worst characters to face for pretty much ANYBODY. It was brutal. ChrisG used to make everyone hate that character. People actively rooted against her because it was so fucking annoying.

OP
OP
jman1954goat

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
floor 2? what character is doing the spamming/you're having trouble with
Well I usually play on floor 5 or 6.

I'm not having trouble with anything in particular just Not good at the game yet.

Since I'm so Bad when the opponent starts spamming it's a Great opportunity to Learn what beats What.

It's people who don't spam who really vblow me out

Strive is a great game im having a great time.

alundra311

Oct 25, 2017
And when you finally manage to think of an answer... BAM! He suddenly didn't use that move and proceeds to punish your feeble attempt. LOL.

Fighting games are fun, though.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
Depends what they're spamming. In most cases it's an easy win but there are certain moves I'm terrible at reading and countering and I have to hope my opponent doesn't notice that.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
I love fighting spammers, I know how to counter what they do and I love to bait them out when they panic when I get close.

Genryu

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind coming across a spammer since that gives me an opportunity to practice.

When I'm playing there will be some times where if I throw out something and they keep getting hit by it, I'll become the spammer and only throw that out until they learn how to deal with it.