• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I recently had the pleasure of meeting Shu Takumi and talking about some of his games over Lunch (All thanks to my friend cvxfreak for setting that up). He was a absolute pleasure to meet with and was so happy to talk about Dino Crisis with me. A lot of the conversation was him telling me about his time on the DC titles (He talked more than I did about Dino Crisis which was great). Afterwards he said it was fine for me to bring up the points that were made in our conversation. I didn't exactly search hard to see what was already known, but I figure a lot of this might be new to many of you(I know a lot of the Dino Crisis content is). It was amazing finally being able to meet the mind behind some of my favorite games of all-time and getting some new insight into how things worked back then.

Ghost Trick Info
- Lynne was given Red hair in Ghost Trick for the same reason Regina was (Listed below).
- Ghost Trick graphics were inspired by Out of this World, which he said is one of his favorite games (The game was called Outer Worlds in Japan)

Dino Crisis Info
- Regina's red hair was chosen to let her stand out as a heroine (Similar to other Japanese entertainment where the Hero wears red)
- Shu confirmed that despite not having the director credit on Dino Crisis 1, he was essentially the director for a lot of the project. He did a lot of work on the title and Mikami fixed the rest (As he did have trouble running things as being a director was still a new position for gaming at the time). This fits with Kamiya tweeting that he still see's Shu as the director of DC, which made some people wonder.
- The recent return of Regina, Gail, and Rick in the Ace Attorney anime was Shu's doing. He went to the anime studio himself and asked the team there to use the designs.
- Dino Crisis 1 being a Survival Horror game had a lot to do with Hardware Limitations. Since the entire game was in 3D it was harder to make something more action-oriented. Which is why the game shifted into survival horror and making the dinosaurs tougher foes to make up for the lack of numbers.
- Dino Crisis 2 went back to 2D Backgrounds to bump up the amount of Dinosaurs on-screen to fit with the action game idea.
- All of the puzzles in Dino Crisis 1 were made by Shu Takumi, after feedback from the puzzles being too hard he was told not to include any puzzles in Dino Crisis 2.
- Shu wasn't a fan of the helmet characters in Dino Crisis 2 (As the story aspects were not handled by him).
- Shu wishes more people talked about Dino Crisis 2's combo/reward system. As he was very proud of that concept (This came up after discussing how the ideas of that concept seemed to inspire later titles such as RE4 - which he hasn't played).
- He's very happy that there are still fans of the Dino Crisis titles. He's very proud of 2 and still finds it to be one of his favorite titles to have worked on.

squall23

Oct 25, 2017

You could have at least asked one question about a new Ace Attorney and a possible new Dino Crisis.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Yo, legit happy for you Jaw. You've been out here stanning Dino Crisis for YEARS. Hopefully they will at the very least do some re-masters.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Amazing lol.

I saw your tweet the other day in front of Capcom HQ, but I didn't expect you actually meet them and had an interview.

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
That's really cool, congrats! I haven't met Takumi myself but everyone I know who has says he's a really lovely guy and it sounds like that's true here as well.

I haven't played DC2 in well over a decade at this point, but I remember the combo system being a lot of fun, so it's neat hearing that it stuck out for him as well.

Ghost Trick's graphics being inspired by Out of this World makes a ton of sense now that it's laid out.

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
- Ghost Trick graphics were inspired by Out of this World, which he said is one of his favorite games (The game was called Outer Worlds in Japan)
Makes sense, since Out of this World/Another World/Outer Worlds seems to have inspired a lot of game creators in Japan.

Maybe one day Takumi will add dinosaurs, murder mysteries and stage magic together to make a game that he'll be even more proud of than DC2.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
wtf you're not a dinosaur? I want my money back.

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
Good for you Jaw!

I almost just want a new Dino Crisis game to get announced to see how you'd react lol.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo - Brazil
That's very cool. I've first played Dino Crisis 2 almost 20 years ago and it never left my mind. My favorite dinossaur game and one of my favorites from the era.

Also, I'm really surprised about Dino Crisis being originally envisioned as a more action oriented game, the first DC is very heavy on the survival horror aspect and it feels like that's what they wanted to do . And yes, the combo system works great. It gives you incentive to not simply move from point A to B and take risks in the particular area you are. Do I go foward or do I stick around trying to build my combo up? And then you had a lot of cool stuff to buy. I remember a thread here on era mentioning its ipossible influence over future Capcom titles, I'm not sure it did, but that would be really cool. At least some of Dino Crisis lives on.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
I remember literally replaying DC2 multiple times in one sitting. That game was super well set up for that kinda almost arcade points run

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
Congrats! Did you remember to ask how many briefcases full of money we ave to come up with to see a new DC game?

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
I found Dino Crisis puzzles quite simple honestly, and I am average at puzzles. Much more simple than Silent hill riddles.

Ocirus

Dec 4, 2017
A good friend of mine is obsessed with dinosaurs and loves Dino Crisis. For a long while I genuinely thought there was a possibility that he was (somehow) Jawmuncher. After gazing upon the spoiler tagged image I finally have my answer: there's at least two people who love Dino Crisis.

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
YOU SUCK. /s

What an amazing moment. Congrats to you, and thank you for all the wonderful information!

Dec 14, 2017
I remember watching one of my cousins get stumped on the puzzles in DC1 a lot, guess I can blame him for the changes to 2. And happy for you Jaw that you got to meet Takumi!

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Great info!

Does this mean that the complete and total whitewashing of Rick in that appearance was Shu's decision / fault? Did he happen to mention why Rick's design specifically had such a major change?

That was definitely on the studio and not him. He told them to use the designs for the characters in that case and the rest was in their hands.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
For more action oriented game that Dino Crisis 2, I applaud the moving (walking & running) + shooting simultaneously, even for a PS1 game.

It makes the game more enjoyable than the traditional RE tank controls on the first Dino Crisis.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
I played Dino 1 on the PC Jawmuncher. It didn´t age well but the 2nd game is still fun. I see that you are missing the 2 other games in the series. I wonder why...
I just saw the AA anime link. White Rick, WTF A-1 Pictures? That studio will never get it´s shit together.

Edit: Nobody liked the story in Dino 2 Shu.

Last edited:

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Had no idea of this man's influence to DC1, I'd always considered it one of Mikami's personal bests.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
He's still at Capcom?
He releases a game every two to three years:
oUBogdc.jpg

Glasfrut

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not a Dino Crisis fan (sadly missed that boat) but I always see your posts and threads on it. Congrats on the interview and opportunity to meet him!!

Thores

Oct 25, 2017
That was definitely on the studio and not him. He told them to use the designs for the characters in that case and the rest was in their hands.
Oh good to know. The initial wording in your post seemed to imply that he came up with the Ace Attorney versions of the character designs himself.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I remember dc2 visuals being impressive for their time.
I really want to get around to replaying dc 1 and 2 someday but keep putting it off xo

Happy u got to meet with him, Jaw :3

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The puzzles in DC are not even hard. You have to actually think about them and can't be brute forced with different combinations like RE puzzles, but that little bit of thought easily presents the answer.

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018
Happy you got to meet him.

Been with you since GAF days but you proabably don't recognize me.

This is awesome!