Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Can someone clarify for me if I can play a digital copy of this game on 2 Switches, my Switch Lite and regular Switch? I know there's some kind of limitation with this game but I don't fully understand it.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Can someone clarify for me if I can play a digital copy of this game on 2 Switches, my Switch Lite and regular Switch? I know there's some kind of limitation with this game but I don't fully understand it.

The limitation is that it's 1 island per Switch, so although you'll have your account on both Switch's, it will be 2 separate islands.

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
The limitation is that it's 1 island per Switch, so although you'll have your account on both Switch's, it will be 2 separate islands.
That and not been able to transfer saves at the moment. So if its two different people on two different Switch, is no biggie. But if it's only one user that wants to alternate between one and the other; then it won't be possible...at launch.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
So, New Leaf was my most played 3DS game. I played it physically, but I had the same problem. With New Horizon, I have purchased it digitally to avoid having to swap constantly.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Oh I see, so no cross-save but instead 2 completely separate playthroughs. I'm cool with that.

Exactly. If you're fine with pretty much doubling your workload by playing on both the Switch & Switch Lite, that's what you'll have to do.

That and not been able to transfer saves at the moment. So if its two different people on two different Switch, is no biggie. But if it's only one user that wants to alternate between one and the other; then it won't be possible...at launch.

Yep, forget to mention that as of now, you cannot transfer saves. I know they're doing it for hacking reasons or whatever they claim, but cloud saves would be such a lifesaver for people that do switch between a regular Switch at home and Switch Lite on the go.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
So I was convince because stores are closed here in France.
The fact to go digital is a big increase in price : 35€ to 60€. But having the game IN the console is such a plus.

Deleted member 19742

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
I dont have any space

That's basically the big mark against digital games. Even if you have an SD card with loads of space, it'll run out eventually. But since there's a fair chance that physical copies will sell out like crazy, and also that it may be annoying to constantly switch carts for a game that encourages playing it daily (even if just a little bit), I may make an exception this time.

Oct 25, 2017
My New Leaf save file didn't survive a 3DS transfer.

Game was digital, the move was from a standard XL to a NEW XL. Most other digital games/saves (like my Pokemon Y game save with 300 hours at the time) made it quite fine.

I since learned it may have been something to do with the fact I was using an SD card that while formatted for use on the 3DS systems, it wasn't actually recommended as supported by Nintendo.

Now I accepted this as my own fault, but it was monumentally depressing (and confusing, as other stuff made it) to lose that fantastic experience.

From memory, my entire Smash 4 3DS file (also digital) was gone and I lost all the unlocked characters.

My point to all of this is you must be very careful when using SD cards, regardless of how you are using them on a Nintendo console. I don't fault Nintendo here, at least not 100%. I'm a power user in that I am constantly using external means of storage for all of my digital content across all my gaming platforms, so I knowingly accept the risk that comes with loss of data.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I preordered it digitally for a lot of the reasons OP mentioned, but also because for once I don't want the temptations to sell the game at a later date.

Both Animal Crossing's I've played (DS and 3DS) I eventually stopped playing them and when I needed more money for new games I sold both, bhut each time I eventually had a point months or even years later where I wanted to go back into my town and check it out.

Some games I regret getting digital because I DID go digital (mainly if I didn't like them, or if I never intend to play them again), but Animal Crossing is one of the few I would regret selling.

ThatsMyTrunks

Mokuzai Studio
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX
I bought the Nintendo Voucher last year for two games for $100, and I bought that using eShop cards that were discounted. So I paid $90 for Animal Crossing which I think I'll play a lot and Mario Maker 2 which I fell off of like a ton of bricks.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is really just going to rile them up, you know. You remember how worked up they got in that one thread.

That said, of course I will be buying the digital version. I would only get physical if someone offered me some sort of insane discount and bonuses for it.

TheOnlyJ

Oct 29, 2019
I bought a new switch just for AC so I never have to switch the cartridge. Take that!

Really though, I bought the Animal Crossing Switch and game for my wife and I bet she never plays anything else on it. But hopefully she will...

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
I thought of this for the longest time... But with Switch's suspension feature, that point starts to feel like moot and I end up only feeling like playing one single player game at a time.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Bought a voucher for this exact game. Was waiting to spend it. Girlfriend preordered it fo me for Christmas. Guess we're going physical for animal crossing this gen cuz I ain't turning her down. Way too perfect a gift.

That said now I don't know what to spend the voucher on. Expires in June and there's nothing else I particularly want.
Update: gf worried about bills in light of corona. I said we'd resume normal gift buying when the situation shakes out. Voucher spent and ACNH is now preloaded.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
GameStop bonus 20% TIV and $10 rebate coupon only apply to the physical copy, else I'd go digital. Pretty much traded Mario Maker 2 evenly for Animal Crossing NH.

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
I'm always genuinely surprised by how painful some people find the act of switching cartridges/discs.
Lol, I hate it. I went full digital because of that, not going to lie.

It's just progress, to me it's like people who don't mind using Windows on a regular HDD instead of an SSD 'oh its only like 30 seconds faster' , once I got a taste of something better, I want it.

Algorum

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Dec 23, 2018
Literally right now with what's happening with the coronavirus EVERYONE should at least consider this.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I already have to have some other things delivered this week, so one more package retrieved from my complex's mail room when I get those on Friday is not going to make my chances that much worse, is my feeling.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Bear with me: I pay the digital version MORE than the physical version AND I have to use a SD card to store it.

So now the issue is not the system's storage (that was a silly one) but that where you shop you have to pay a digital copy more than the physical one (which would have been a totally reasonable answer).
Moving goalpost, gotcha.

Maybe be a smarter shopper, huh?

Same for Amazon, 42 EUR VS 59 EUR.

Still more expensive than digital.
CDKeys was selling AC digital codes for 40€ , lol

Can I just suggest that, if your issue is truly just the price but enjoy the convenience of digital, you have a better look next time?

Furthermore, I pay on average 42€ for €50 eShop credit, plus you get 5% back on gold points (sometimes 10%) and most releases nowadays have preorder discounts.

Last edited:

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Already switched to digital. Caught a price error and got the game 33% off (not possible anymore in case anyone's wondering).

signal

Oct 28, 2017
So I was convince because stores are closed here in France.
The fact to go digital is a big increase in price : 35€ to 60€. But having the game IN the console is such a plus.
It's that much of a price difference?? God damn.

[90 Nintendo™ Gold Points have been deposited into the OP's account]

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
oh god i just realized my sd card is almost full.
buying games on the eshop really is like a sport

how big is this game? and how easy is it to move games to a new sd card when you need to upgrade size?

hersheyfan