• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AustinJ

Jul 18, 2018
Getting 1 copy digital for #MahWife and 1 physical for #MahCollection. Swapping carts doesn't bother me :)

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
I prefer to have physical games, but I knew I'd be better off digital in this case as I want to always have it available to play.. So I'm going digital, and then if I really want the physical I'll get it when it becomes a Nintendo Selects game (or whatever Nintendo does for Switch).

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Bought a voucher for this exact game. Was waiting to spend it. Girlfriend preordered it fo me for Christmas. Guess we're going physical for animal crossing this gen cuz I ain't turning her down. Way too perfect a gift.

That said now I don't know what to spend the voucher on. Expires in June and there's nothing else I particularly want.

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
AC Switch was pre-ordered when I still had Best Buy discount. Nintendo will never beat that deal (at least not for 2-3 years).

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo games have a high resale value. I only recommend buying digital if you're a hardcore fan who will never stop playing.

Nov 8, 2017
I plan on using a voucher. What I didn't expect is for Mario Maker 2 to drop in price so fast. I was going to use one voucher for that for similar reasons, but am having second thoughts. Anyone else in that situation have advice?

Armoredgoomba

Jun 17, 2018
I go all physical with games that are $60 but this will be the exception because I like to play almost daily in the beginning.

Hurts to not get it physical but it will be a better choice overall.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Ugh, I really want to get it physically but digital would be so much better.

What happens if you put a cartridge in and try to play a game you already own digitally?

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty upset with myself for buying New Leaf digitally since I wish I could have my saved town on the cartridge so I could play it on other 3DS systems more easily.

Since this isn't an issue with Switch games though, since I don't think you can save your progress to the actual cartridge, I'd probably just buy it digitally since Animal Crossing is a game that like... I'll want to play it for a while often enough that I'd rather not deal with carts if I don't have to.

If they're not enabling cloud saves, which sounds like it would be the case given the reason for not having it available for Pokemon or whatever, then that suck. Also, it's really freaking stupid.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The same place PS3 digital games went and where 360 digital games originally went. A change in architecture would naturally mean the games don't carry over unless they go out of their way for it. If they stick with the hybrid route, which is all but guaranteed, they're not gonna change that

I don't know why you're bringing up other systems. I wouldn't recommend buying digital there either. The only one with a cross gen proper digital content management system so far is Microsoft. When games become available, they're tied to account and become available in new system. I have Zero confidence in Nintendo doing this. Maximum you'll get is one gen of BC, so just delaying the loss.

Plus, where did you hear there won't be an architecture change? That's simply complete speculation.

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know why you're bringing up other systems. I wouldn't recommend buying digital there either. The only one with a cross gen proper digital content management system so far is Microsoft. When games become available, they're tied to account and become available in new system. I have Zero confidence in Nintendo doing this. Maximum you'll get is one gen of BC, so just delaying the loss.

Plus, where did you hear there won't be an architecture change? That's simply complete speculation.
But that's exactly what's happening with all of their account systems. Not just with Microsoft. Now I can see them in later gens not allowing you to carry over your games but I'll cross that hill when I get there and my games will still be tied to my account so I could still play them on an older system. In the end, I don't think it'll be much different than keeping various different cartridges around

Considering that they have a long deal with Nvidia, I'd be surprised if they shift to a different architecture. It can happen but it's more likely that they'll stick with them for at least another generation

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
But that's exactly what's happening with all of their account systems. Not just with Microsoft. Now I can see them in later gens not allowing you to carry over your games but I'll cross that hill when I get there and my games will still be tied to my account so I could still play them on an older system. In the end, I don't think it'll be much different than keeping various different cartridges around

Considering that they have a long deal with Nvidia, I'd be surprised if they shift to a different architecture. It can happen but it's more likely that they'll stick with them for at least another generation

After the gen is over, i don't keep the cartridges around. Sell everything and recover value instead of losing everything

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, but I am physical all the way. Besides I already have a $50 pre-order at Best Buy.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry OP but I will get physical because Nintendo games retain a high value even after a year or two. I haven't played a a Animal Crossing so I want have the option to sell it.

Related, but I'm going to sell Smash because even if I love the game I'm not playing that much and I need some cash this week ;_;

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Will most likely buy the game from the eShop with the 15% discount voucher.
Isn't this only valid for physical orders through the MyNintendo store?

I used to be super attached to physical. I always imagined myself having a room dedicated to all of my games and consoles in the future. I was always a sort of hoarder. I never wanted to buy any digital versions of anything because I liked having the case on my shelf. Particularly when it comes to Nintendo, I didn't want my games "stuck" on any console.

Lately, though, I find the idea of digital oddly palatable. I no longer feel the need to hoard games physically, so the notion of potentially losing the ability to play a game in the far future no longer scares me, even though I know it's a possibility. I have so many old games from the NES and SNES that I have no desire to play, so I don't think it would really bother me if I couldn't play Super Mario Galaxy 20 years from now. I mean, I already don't play that game anymore. I dunno, I seem to have just lost that collector attitude I had in the past.

My first big digital game (I mean besides games that had no physical release) was Phoenix Wright on 3DS. As I'm typing this, however, I actually think that game might have been digital only as well. Nevertheless, I was dipping my toes into the digital future with a franchise I previously bought physically.

The advent of mobile gaming conditioned me to the idea of a digital approach, and Nintendo Online Vouchers pretty much sealed the deal for me. I still like physical copies, but I'm no longer repulsed by digital. The convenience of not having to switch carts is big to me, and the lack of cases (while it used to hold sentimental value for me) just means less clutter around the house.

Anyway, all I really wanted to say was I want to buy Animal Crossing digitally. And it's the first game I actually prefer digital over physical purely because I know it would be way more convenient to pick up and play. I wish I were able to use a Nintendo Online Voucher for it and that I didn't use one on Super Mario Maker, haha.

One issue I have with digital (for Nintendo) is the paltry internal storage they give you. And I'm cheap, so I try not to purchase additional memory cards if I can avoid it.
Nice read, and I can totally relate.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
I bought New Leaf digitally and my several hundred hours of save data which I held very dear were lost forever when the screen on my 3DS was irreparably broken.

I'll be buying it physically. Switching cartridges takes about 10 seconds.
Switch games save to the console storage regardless of if it's physical or digital, so buying physical won't save your town if something happens to the Switch itself.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Have I now convinced you all to buy the game digitally, given the current situation?
EPSjVxauOqvU.jpg

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Would love to, but with this Corona thing I probably won't be able to do so. Maybe one day, but getting it digital was always going to be my plan.

Gravidee

Oct 28, 2017
You digital heathens think you can just convince me like that? No siree, this here is a defiant physical buyer and there's nothing you can do that will change my mind!

Hmph!

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't have a preorder, so I'm going to let fate decide if I get it digitally.