• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Katmeister

Banned
May 1, 2021
Hey all

I bought some games off the recent Steam summer sale, problem is my current desk chair makes me want to get off my chair after an hour which sucks because I never get around to gaming before I get tired of it. I have chronic back pain too so sitting to play is more of a challenge than it should be.

I need a new chair but I have no idea what to go for. I'm willing to pay more for comfort but would like to pay as little as possible if I can.

Mattmo831

Featuring Mattmo831 from the Apple v Epic case
Oct 26, 2020
Staples dexley if you're looking for affordable and exactly what you're looking for

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Steelcase or Herman Miller. The prices are high, but if you buy used at an office liquidator you can get a great chair that will last for around $200 or 300. I'm never buying a staples or office Depot chair again.

purg3

Oct 25, 2017
To be honest, it's worth the money to invest in a good task chair. One of the best investments I've made. I can sit in this thing all day without issues.

Herman Miller Embody

tWNcqom.jpg

There's a good chance you can find local offices near you selling Herman Miller/Stealcase chairs at a discount due to closures and what not.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not here to advise on any particular chair but to share a few tidbits which are helpful to keep in mind when making your decision:

1. Always try to sit on a chair before you purchase it. This is less relevant advice when you are looking at a high-end office chair that can be adjusted in many ways (like a Herman Miller Aeron), but I'd still advise against blindly purchasing a chair. Whenever possible, try a chair, make sure that you feel comfortable and that you feel good lumbar support. If you sit on a chair and your body immediately shifts to a correct sitting position then that chair is good for you.
  2. Don't buy a gaming chair. Most of them are unergonomic and weren't designed to be sat in for long hours. They work well for some people but as a general rule of thumb they don't, not to mention that they tend to be poorly built/cheaply made.
  3. Consider what materials a chair is made out of and where you intend on using it. Is the material washable? Is it breathable? Do you live in a warm environment or very cold one? Is it faux leather, is it made of a perforated mesh? These are all questions which are relevant and good to have answers for.
  4. Can you find parts to repair it? Most chairs, at some point, end up breaking but few brands, or chairs, have readily available parts to repair them. As an example, a Herman Miller chair can be quite expensive, but you can buy a replacement for almost any part that breaks in one of them and quite affordably. Some chairs may be considerably more expensive in a short term basis, but much cheaper to own in the long run.
Disclaimer: I don't own or have any relationship with any chair brand, I just happened to have done some research on them recently because I am considering upgrading my own desk chair and these are the elements I read upon and consider important when making my purchasing decision.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Herman Miller Aeron. Had back problems for years. Got the chair, they all went away. Plus they can be found cheaper second hand quite easily from office supply stores or online.

Maso

Sep 6, 2018
I need one as well and want to scrape together the money to get Embody, Leap V2, or Gesture. I've heard recommendations as well about liquidators to go try them out but can't really find anything like that locally through Google. Do I just have to buy one online and hope for the best? I really wish there was a store I could go to to try them out first like at Staples.

kombucha

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 15, 2021
I have herman miller in the office and secretlab titan at home, don't get tired in any of them. Herman is probably more comfy and soft to sit in but it costs x3 as much

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
Steelcase series 1 (~400-500 bucks)
pasted-20201112-165313_clipped_rev_1.png

I own one for over a year now and my ass or back never get sore.

GoldenFlex

Alt Account
Banned
May 7, 2021
Steelcase leap v2, nothing else can compare. Go to your local showroom to test it (and other steelcase chairs) out.

sc-leap-v2.jpg

golguin

Oct 29, 2017
Herman Miller chair. I've sat on the same one from work for 7 years and it's still the same.

EduBRK

Oct 30, 2017
Brazil
Holy shit, Herman's are pricy in Brazil... Aeron is about 10k reais, 2k usd, more or less...

I need a new chair, but I think Brazil have so few options that cost 2k reais... that would be my limit.

Deleted member 48991

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
Just a counterpoint from someone who uses a $1000 office chair at work and a $600 gaming chair at home: If you do your research you can actually find quite comfortable gaming chairs, but the most important thing is that you try the chair out first.

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
Used Steelcase Leap v2 is one of the best investments I've ever made.

The expensive chairs are worth the money.

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
Avoid Herman Miller Aeron chairs at all costs. They're awful - borderline torture devices.

Get yourself a nice Secretlab chair. People describe them as being really stiff and taking some getting used to, but I found it extremely comfortable from day 1. Great for your back/posture, which sounds like something you need.

Zelda

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Take note of what makes your current chair uncomfortable. Lower back support, cushion, breathability, etc. Then before buying a new chair sit in it and try it before you buy it, see if the issues you have with your current chair exist with the new chair. You might need to sit in it for a while to really notice.

AshGambit

Sep 4, 2019
I've had a few chairs and the one I can sit in the longest without getting back or neck ache is the Secretlabs Omega. Best to sit on a few first though if you can.

iamsirjoshua

Oct 28, 2017
Everyone here suggesting Herman Miller, Steelcase, Secretlab, etc. is spot on. It's a worthy investment and if you shop around you may be able to find one that's quite affordable.

If you do want something a bit more budget, I recently got an IKEA Markus chair ($200) and I quite like it. It's not highly adjustable, I can't yet speak to its longevity over several years, and it's not going to stack up to a high-end office chair in most ways. That being said, I upgraded from an older cheap Staples chair and it's a HUGE difference for the 6-8 hours a day I sit in it for work.

pezzie

Oct 27, 2017
Mark me down for another recommendation on the Steelcase Leap v2. I bought a used one (8 years old) off of Craigslist for $300 and that thing feels like a brand new chair. Even the padding holds up. There's no squeaks or creaks, there's no loose locking mechanisms, everything feels just right. Just keep in mind, these ergonomic chairs aren't like the big, giant clouds that you might get with some cheaper chairs. You won't feel yourself sink into comfort like that. When I first got it, I thought to myself "ooh, this is actually rather stiff, I'm not sure I could do this". But I kept it up for half a year and now whenever I have to go into the office and sit in their shitty chairs the first thing I immediately notice is the lack of support. I can never go back to a cheapy chair.

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
If you are on a budget, the NOUHAUS computer or office chair are both fine ($200-300). I have been using their Mesh Computer chair for a while, and no complaints so far (other than the lack of lumbar support). However, if you want a chair to serve you well for 10+ years, might be better to invest in a Herman.

Super-Volt

Apr 19, 2021
United States
Another vote for Herman Miller Aeron here. I've had mine for over 10 years and it's had zero issues other than a $10 pad I had to replace under the seat.

Make sure to get the PostureFit upgrade. It's a butterfly shaped panel that gently supports the lower back, and while it costs a bit more it is a huge improvement over the stock back support.

GoldenFlex

Alt Account
Banned
May 7, 2021
Avoid Herman Miller Aeron chairs at all costs. They're awful - borderline torture devices.
Agreed on this, my work had Aerons for us all and it was just plain awful on my back. Not sure how anyone can stand them. Definitely try out whatever chair you want before buying it lol

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't understand the unsubstantiated Herman Miller slander in this thread. I've tested almost every major premium office chair in my time and their chairs are among the most consistent and reliable once you get fitted for one and dial in the lumbar/pan settings.

Dodger

May 30, 2020
This is something I need to look into as well. When the pandemic started I got some $70 IKEA chair because I thought I'd be back in the office two weeks later. Year+ later I still have it and after about two hours I hate being in it.

Deleted member 12867

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Get yourself a nice Secretlab chair. People describe them as being really stiff and taking some getting used to, but I found it extremely comfortable from day 1. Great for your back/posture, which sounds like something you need.
Love my Titan from Secret Lab. I wouldn't mind trying Herman Miller but that's above my price range.

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
Executive chairs from Staples that say "luxury" and "5-10 hours of use."

I got one for my brother just this week. It was $180 on sale (normally $280). Pretty sweet big & tall chair and more comfortable than gaming chairs IMO.

dubc

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I bought a used Steelcase Leap V2 during wfh for the pandemic after buying a $100 chair off amazon. It's the chair I normally have at work but they wouldn't let us take office furniture home. Used ones are ~$300. You could check local Craigslist/Facebook etc.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm always interested in opinions on office chairs, but for PC gaming I'm a firm believer in the comfy couch.

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand the unsubstantiated Herman Miller slander in this thread. I've tested almost every major premium office chair in my time and their chairs are among the most consistent and reliable once you get fitted for one and dial in the lumbar/pan settings.

Nothing to be confused by - they're uncomfortable as fuck.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
Steelcase series 1 (~400-500 bucks)

I own one for over a year now and my ass or back never get sore.
Steelcase leap v2, nothing else can compare. Go to your local showroom to test it (and other steelcase chairs) out.
I adore my Steelcase Leap V2
Used Steelcase Leap v2 is one of the best investments I've ever made.

The expensive chairs are worth the money.
Steelcase Leap V2 is what I've been using and love it so far.
Mark me down for another recommendation on the Steelcase Leap v2. I bought a used one (8 years old) off of Craigslist for $300 and that thing feels like a brand new chair. Even the padding holds up.....
I bought a used Steelcase Leap V2 during wfh for the pandemic after buying a $100 chair off amazon. It's the chair I normally have at work but they wouldn't let us take office furniture home. Used ones are ~$300. You could check local Craigslist/Facebook etc.
Listen to these people, they get it. Even if you don't get a fancy leap and opt for one of their less expensive chairs (like the Series 1), it will still be leaps and bounds above what you'll find at most office supply stores.

100% worth the investment.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
I always had my doubts on the quality of a Herman Miller, and the price to go with it. I had a chance to get the Logitech/Herman Miller chair with monthly payments for a year and no interest. I'll say this chair is game changing.

The Alera Elusion Series I've had in my bedroom with my mac/desk setup for six years now, and it's still brand new feeling.
My Vertagear PL6000 is three years old and it's worn. Still a LITTLE comfy, but sitting in it more than a hour or two at a time and you feel it.
Herman Miller Embody/Logitech is six months old and it still feels like day one, perfect.

digit_zero

Oct 27, 2017
I got a Staples Hyken chair around the start of the pandemic since I needed a better chair to work in and love it. From what I understand its not great if you are tall, but it fits me perfectly.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
Herman Miller Aeron C, the last chair I will ever need

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
I was toying with the idea of getting a Steelcase Leap about a year ago (been using an Aeron for about 10 years but I'm in the mood for something different) but I never pulled the trigger. Why are they $1,700 on the Steelcase site? I don't remember them being quite that expensive...