• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperRiko

Jun 26, 2021
Good on him for owning up to a mistake and not doubling down, or playing oblivious. I don't know who this is, but when I read the tweet, I thought he was baiting outrage, glad to be incorrect.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I'm happy that Rainn apologized and also made mention of talking with trans friends to better educate himself on why he said what was wrong. More people need to shut up, listen, and learn when they do or say something that's wrong.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Well, that's a decent end result.

Hopefully he does a bit of introspection about what led him to do the initial tweet and not just about the content of the tweet, but I'm happy it was a learning moment for him, and that he's willing to learn.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunately feels like such a rare thing when someone reacts to a situation like this not by doubling down and lashing out, but by reflecting, growing their understanding and improving themselves. I do genuinely love to see it happen. It's heartening, makes me feel happy and like there is some hope for humanity.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Good for Rainn. seemed like he was a pretty upstanding dude, glad that he had conversations with some of his trans friends that helped him out here.

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
Oh thank God. I figured it had to be a misunderstanding/honest ignorance because he's so progressive normally, but was definitely worried when he didn't correct it immediately, but within 24 hours is good with me.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
See

This isnt that hard

Good on him taking the time to learn more about something he didn't understand before

May as well turn this into something feel good and related that might be news to people - did you know trans women can breastfeed?

This is actually fucking incredible. I knew in the back of my mind that the biological differences between Male and Females aren't as wide as we are led to believe but I didn't know this was possible

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
A solid apology and without doubling down first, which is certainly appreciated.

But hopefully next time people understand even generally good people can still say/do something shitty without it secretly being a well intentioned PSA or something. Them just being ignorant and then learning from it doesn't make it fine to begin with.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Very glad he apologized, like I mentioned earlier, he should have never said something like that but based on his past actions he's clearly on the right side of being good people.

GuessMyUserName

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Christ just reading this thread from the start now is such a reminder how weak cis allyship goes. And this goes hand-in-hand with Rainn's knee-jerk comment that started it - because yeah he's a "progressive ally" but that doesn't mean he can't possibly hold gross perspectives against trans people anymore. It's not a binary switch to become an "ally" and all of a sudden you can do no wrong, as literally any trans person can tell you from having people in our lives who are yes for the most part supportive but very much still can show their asses through ignorance.

All the damn condescension going on about reading the tweet the way Rainns himself now confirms he did in fact mean when he originally posted it. "But oh no he's supportive he couldn't possibly be mean to trans people!" Congrats y'all were wrong, that's not how it works and people need to learn that already ffs. Same thing goes with racism fyi, just because you're not a klanner doesn't mean you can't still have racist impulses.

I'm happy with the apology, it's exactly what's needed but good god am I ever disappointed at all the other people leaping to his defense, as always celeb worship matters so much more than allyship.

Otnopolit

Oct 28, 2017
Sucks he meant it with malice, and I'm glad he figured it out. You don't have to get it perfect every time, being corrected and quickly apologizing to change it is good practice. Decoupling language is a long process and I think the more we're open to making mistakes and fixing it while reminding people it should be changed for inclusivity is an important needle to thread.

Christ just reading this thread from the start now is such a reminder how weak cis allyship goes. And this goes hand-in-hand with Rainn's knee-jerk comment that started it - because yeah he's a "progressive ally" but that doesn't mean he can't possibly hold gross perspective against trans people anymore. It's not a binary switch to become an "ally" and all of a sudden you can do no wrong, as literally any trans person can tell you from having people in our lives who are yes for the most part supportive but very much still can show their asses through ignorance.

All the damn condescension going on about reading the tweet the way Rainns himself now confirms he did in fact mean when he originally posted it. "But oh no he's supportive he couldn't possibly be mean to trans people!" Congrats y'all were wrong, that's not how it works and people need to learn that for already ffs. Same thing goes with racism fyi, just because you're not a klanner doesn't mean you can't still have racist impulses.

I'm happy with the apology, it's exactly what's needed but good god am I ever disappointed at all the other people leaping to his defense, as always celeb worship matters so much more than allyship.

As a person who wanted to believe he didn't mean it the way he did, I feel like this is addressed to me, and I want to tell you it had nothing to do with my reverence for him as an actor or person. So yes, I was wrong, but I will not apologize for waiting to see what he meant or how he meant it before throwing him under the goddamn bus immediately without proper context and clarification. It's a tweet, we're on the internet, tone and intent are not so easy to discern and he had a good enough track record to at least see what he meant. Please do not belittle my own advocacy and efforts simply because I was wrong.

Last edited:

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Dismissive Drive-By
Christ just reading this thread from the start now is such a reminder how weak cis allyship goes. And this goes hand-in-hand with Rainn's knee-jerk comment that started it - because yeah he's a "progressive ally" but that doesn't mean he can't possibly hold gross perspectives against trans people anymore. It's not a binary switch to become an "ally" and all of a sudden you can do no wrong, as literally any trans person can tell you from having people in our lives who are yes for the most part supportive but very much still can show their asses through ignorance.

All the damn condescension going on about reading the tweet the way Rainns himself now confirms he did in fact mean when he originally posted it. "But oh no he's supportive he couldn't possibly be mean to trans people!" Congrats y'all were wrong, that's not how it works and people need to learn that already ffs. Same thing goes with racism fyi, just because you're not a klanner doesn't mean you can't still have racist impulses.

So you're mad because we wanted to wait for clarification instead of instantly crucifying him? :/

GuessMyUserName

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
As a person who wanted to believe he didn't mean it the way he did, I feel like this is addressed to me, and I want to tell you it had nothing to do with my reverence for him as an actor or person. So yes, I was wrong, but I will not apologize for waiting to see what he meant or how he meant it before throwing him under the goddamn bus immediately without proper context and clarification. It's a tweet, we're on the internet, tone and intent are not so easy to discern and he had a good enough track record to at least see what he meant. Please do not belittle my own advocacy and efforts simply because I was wrong.
Amazing to make yourself the victim here, cool cool. I don't know who you even are but congrats.

I reiterate that cis allies are fucking useless.

So you're mad because we wanted to wait for clarification instead of instantly crucifying him? :/
Underline this statement from me right now.

You're literally just proving my point you can't do anything but get defensive and disregard actual trans concerns.

Otnopolit

Oct 28, 2017
Christ just reading this thread from the start now is such a reminder how weak cis allyship goes. And this goes hand-in-hand with Rainn's knee-jerk comment that started it - because yeah he's a "progressive ally" but that doesn't mean he can't possibly hold gross perspective against trans people anymore. It's not a binary switch to become an "ally" and all of a sudden you can do no wrong, as literally any trans person can tell you from having people in our lives who are yes for the most part supportive but very much still can show their asses through ignorance.

All the damn condescension going on about reading the tweet the way Rainns himself now confirms he did in fact mean when he originally posted it. "But oh no he's supportive he couldn't possibly be mean to trans people!" Congrats y'all were wrong, that's not how it works and people need to learn that for already ffs. Same thing goes with racism fyi, just because you're not a klanner doesn't mean you can't still have racist impulses.

Amazing to make yourself the victim here, cool cool. I don't know who you even are but congrats.

I reiterate that cis allies are fucking useless.

And your post, was it not volatile in nature? Was it not calling people in the thread such as myself out? Did you post simply just to post or did you want a response? Perhaps only one you were happy with? You threw stones.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
I'm glad he apologized, I didn't think he meant it that way based on his previous beliefs. But it's good to clear it up.

GuessMyUserName

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
And your post, was it not volatile in nature? Was it not calling people in the thread such as myself out? Did you post simply just to post or did you want a response? Perhaps only one you were happy with? You threw stones.
Yeah I throw stones at weak-ass allyship. Transphobia is a fucking cancer tearing down our lives on the daily and I'm not just gonna let y'all pat yourselves on the back with an apology with no refection.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Glad he apologized. It's ok to make mistakes as long as you learn from them and don't repeat it. A lot of people don't know how to properly navigate these kinds of things.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
They rightly called people out. You should listen tbh.

Yeah I throw stones at weak-ass allyship. Transphobia is a fucking cancer tearing down our lives on the daily and I'm not just gonna let y'all pat yourselves on the back with an apology with no refection.
Absolutely right.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Do you think trans folks don't have a right to be annoyed with the condescension that happened here? If you weren't being an ass then you're not being targeted.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017

I think there's a difference between folks saying "he can't be transphobic, he's progressive!" and folks saying huh, this seems out of character, let's see the follow-up. Both happened here for sure. But the latter is generative. It's part of how we get to better discourse.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
So his apology is basically "I'm not a transphobe cause I have trans friends."

Genuine question - how did you arrive at that interpretation after reading his second tweet?
  1. He acknowledged that what he said was a mean comment/joke
  2. He spoke to trans friends to get clarity and education (this is good, no?)
  3. He clarified the impact (contributing to meanness and misinformation)
  4. He apologized

Otnopolit

Oct 28, 2017
Do you think trans folks don't have a right to be annoyed with the condescension that happened here? If you weren't being an ass then you're not being targeted.

My apologies, I hadn't caught up on pages 4-6 and didn't know people were casting doubt like that. GuessMyUserName I see why you got upset, and in the context of the messages I missed there was some weak "allyship" going on, totally.

I think there's a difference between folks saying "he can't be transphobic, he's progressive!" and folks saying huh, this seems out of character, let's see the follow-up. Both happened here for sure. But the latter is generative. It's part of how we get to better discourse.

This was where I was coming from originally, I guess I just incorrectly assumed others were doing the latter but the thread took a turn.

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
Genuine question - how did you arrive at that interpretation after reading his second tweet?
  4. He apologized
Have not read his second tweet.

The one I read basically said that he was told by his Trans friends that what he wrote was wrong, and the rest was "I educated myself" spiel that goes with all apologies of this nature.

Oct 25, 2017
Glad he apologized and educated himself. It's sad a reaction like that is so rare. And thank you Kyuuji for that post, it's a necessary perspective we need to remind ourselves of when these situations come up.
So his apology is basically "I'm not a transphobe cause I have trans friends."
Is it? I mean he said he talked to them to learn and understand what he did was wrong and apologized. I don't know what else he could have done. It'd probably be the first thing I'd do if I spoke out of ignorance and was called out on it. Everyone should talk to more trans people, why is he being shamed for this?

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
  4. He apologized
What second tweet? All I see is the by-the-numbers apology. Doesn't sound genuine to me.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
Have not read his second tweet.

The one I read basically said that he was told by his Trans friends that what he wrote was wrong, and the rest was "I educated myself" spiel that goes with all apologies of this nature.
We're talking about the same tweet. The first tweet was the bad one - the second one was the clarification.

Before I continue, I will say that I was someone on the fence yesterday about how his tweet was to be interpreted, i.e. I gave him the benefit of the doubt and then he ended up being in the wrong. I see that.

That being said, how would you change his tweet to be a more genuine apology? Or is there no way for him to recover from his initial Tweet?

BarcaTheGreat

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
No one can really know if he means it but as far as apologies go, this is a good one. Acknowledged he tweeted something inappropriate that will only add to trans people's hardship, got educated on the topic and clearly apologized. Didn't blame anyone else or didn't say sorry if u got offended.

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
We're talking about the same tweet. The first tweet was the bad one - the second one was the clarification.

Before I continue, I will say that I was someone on the fence yesterday about how his tweet was to be interpreted, i.e. I gave him the benefit of the doubt and then he ended up being in the wrong. I see that.

That being said, how would you change his tweet to be a more genuine apology? Or is there no way for him to recover from his initial Tweet?
How about explaining what he learned? And the reason why his tweet was wrong and mean?

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
I'm glad he apologized and I don't want to dismiss the importance of an apology where one owns up to what was said but... I dunno, it seems like such an inappropriate thing to make a malicious joke about, especially if you do have trans friends. It's just so clearly punching down. I dunno! Still feel a little "hmmm" about it.

Jan 20, 2022
A person can be both progressive on some issue but be a total bag of noxious excrement on another. The "good" part doesn't wash away the other disgusting mess IMO.
I agree with this completely. But also curious if it works in reverse? Being good in some aspects doesn't wash away the bad. But does the bad wash away the good? Asking in good faith because morality is something that fascinates me.

Status
Not open for further replies.