• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

StraySheep

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Oct 26, 2017
I felt the complete opposite. I loved WW and TP (at the time), but I haven't felt magic in a Zelda game since MM. That was until BotW came. BotW was truly the first magical experience playing a game in years!

I totally get that people would find BotW magical. It just is missing the parts I want most out of a Zelda. But I would be silly to suggest it doesn't kill in some areas.

But to be more specific, the weird atmosphere, interesting characters and side quests, and trippy dungeons and items that I loved from MM are all missing here.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But to be more specific, the weird atmosphere, interesting characters and side quests, and trippy dungeons and items that I loved from MM are all missing here.

I certainly wouldn't mind them having a fast dev cycle and pretty much making the Majora's Mask equivalent for Breath of the Wild. That'd be really interesting to see before they put their heads back down to make the true sequel.

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
I know I'll make a thread one of these days about 3D level design because it's something that I love but which is terribly lacking in not-zelda games.

The point of 3D zelda was always 3D level design, all of the dungeons in OoT screams "VERTICALITY", you fall on a gigantic spider web in deku tree to tear it apart, you climb over a dodongo skull to open a path, you play with the levels of water in the water temple etc...

And it's something that mostly only 3D zeldas do. To the point that From Software was (rightfully) thought as the second coming of the Christ as soon as they brought it back. Just look at this.

cathedral_of_the_deep_map1.jpg

cathedral_of_the_deep_map2.jpg

cathedral_of_the_deep_3.jpg

cathedral_of_the_deep_map4.jpg

This is coming from Dark Souls 3 which is a series notorious for not having a map, but would it have one that would only makes it even obvious that the areas in DS are built like the dungeons in Zelda.

We are in 2019, 20 years after Ocarina of Time and this type of design isn't more common. 20 years after, 3D level design has still not advanced at all in term of verticality because the only people (from my understanding) who tried to play a bit with that are: From Software (King's Field, Soulsborne), Nintendo (both EAD with zelda and Retro through Metroid Prime), Arkane(through Prey, Dishonored, Arx Fatalis and Dark Messiah) and marginally by Darksiders.
Even Team Clover was too afraid to really design dungeons and prefered to make successive arenas instead of environmental puzzles. I say that after beating 4 dungeons, I haven't beaten the game yet, but dungeon wise they were all underwhelming.

Dungeons are the DNA of 3D zeldas and I couldn't think in any other way. It's something they somehow have to fix because BotW played a bit with the physics with the animal dungeons but due to its open world nature
it was considerably neutred.

I honestly think that BotW is a great template for a future game, but scrapping the dungeons and making them fifteen-twenty minute long is an error both for the zelda series and for games in general.

This is a really great post with an interesting point. I've never thought about verticality as being important and now I kind of want to revisit these titles with that concept in mind.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
One more game to round out a Hero of Time trilogy would be siiiiiiiiick.

But if I had to choose, I'd still pick another BotW-style game.