• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Not obsessed but I do like them. Replaying Dark Souls Remastered on the Switch felt incomplete without the achievement cues lol.

mrtl

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Keep a nice and tidy list of what games you've played and what you did in them, it's nice to come back to such list and look at the titles you've played over the years and how far you got in them. But nah it's just easier to go "hah why you care so much about such a worthless thing hahaha you silly", right?
Who are you quoting? Most arguments in this thread from both points of view are solid enough to warrant a good discussion.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not an achievement person, but games are about entertainment. If you enjoy that part of gaming, then I see no reason for Nintendo to omit it. Especially considering they're the only platform without them. So how much extra work are we even talking here?

asynchrny

Aug 22, 2018
I feel forced to play a game a certain way to get achievements.

You hate achievements and yet you care about them enough to go out of your way to earn them?

I guess anti-achievements people really have some deeper problems which should serve a nice social study.

As someone who hasn't looked at an achievement list since the first year of Xbox 360, I still believe that their existence is very important when you want to look back at your history with the games.

I enjoy going through those memories, with the help of a list that keeps track of it for me.

The combo of no achievements and the played time tracker being so broken is one of the reasons I don't bother with Switch versions of games. These are very simple systems to get in place and Nintendo is just out of touch.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Genuine question for achievement people: I'm definitely not here to tell you "stop liking what I don't like." However, what's the problem with allowing developers to implement achievements how/if they wish instead of requiring them for all games and forcing devs to use a system-level menu?

I'm not generally a big achievement guy, but I find myself much more likely to pay attention to them in games like Wonderful 101 and Mario Odyssey where it's clear they were actually part of the director's vision rather than being some mandatory requirement to get the game certified on console.

I like having achievements in a list. Its nice to scroll through my list on Steam/PS4 occasionally and look back at what games I was playing at a certain point of time, or what games I could go back to. Its also a good way to keep track of games I havent completed yet, but Its a lot harder to do this when I have to go into the games themselves.

PSNProfiles and Completionist.me are also fun to look through because they have a ton of stats.

I'm weird, But its fun to me so thats all I care about. It blows my mind how many people have such a big hate boner for achievements. Like just because you guys can't bring yourselves to ignore them doesn't mean they shouldn't exist.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Also no one's allowed to complain about any other missing features until we get folders and then virtual console.

Get in line people. Achievementfriends can be third but you'll have to take it up with the voice chat people.

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Smash Bros and other Nintendo games already have achievements, they're just not presented the traditional way and you can't show them around.

I'm curious to see how Nintendo would deal with a traditional achievements system, what would be the "Nintendo spin" they would add to it, but other than that, I prefer it that way.

Some times achievements can be cool, some games do cool stuff with them (Wandersong and Portal 2 for instance). But mandatory achievements are awful, they add nothing to the game, they're extra work to the devs and sometimes they even have spoilers.

Enrico25

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2018
I would buy way more third party games if Switch had achiviements.

Zool

Oct 28, 2017
I mean, I know no one should play a videogame just to have an achievement/throphy, but thats a cool feature and I miss them on my Switch.

Did Nintendo ever shared their view on why they wont implement this feature?
Most of the Nintendo games do have achievements like Smash, toad, mario, zelda et cetera, but it's not on a systemlevel.

mrtl

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You hate achievements and yet you care about them enough to go out of your way to earn them?

I guess anti-achievements people really have some deeper problems which should serve a nice social study.
Because I'm forced to look at them. I get them either way, turning notifications off doesn't help a bit. I want to turn off game score completely, not just notifications. Thanks for taking an interest in my state of mind and/or possible mental disability though.

These are very simple systems to get in place and Nintendo is just out of touch.
Nintendo files these complaints on the bottom of the list. Which is probably 500k comments long by this post.

DarthSontin

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
I always saw Trophies/Achievements as a gaming journal. They aren't there to show off how good I am to other people, they are there for me to see how much I played of each game.

I also wish the Switch had a similar system, but the cool people will tell you you're not allowed to have something like that because it isn't "pure gaming" or whatever.

AerialAir

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Personally, I don't enjoy them, but I can see the value they bring to some people, and I'd definitely be okay if Nintendo implemented them, as long as we could toggle them off.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
I very much prefer the option of they being optional to include for developers.

And not the policy in other systems of the developers being forced to include them, even if they don't fit with the conscious design decisions of a game.

Indeed, there are a lot of Switch games that include achievements inside the game.

I prefer this way of handling things.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Take a picture with the share button if you want when you do something
Thats pretty pointless. I remember Scrolling teougj my PS4 friend list and seeing people with similar taste in gaming that I have trough achievements. It actually made me chat with random people. Achievements system are great in that way.

Contrite

Dec 12, 2017
I assume Nintendo doesn't implement them because they see no need, or they are sceptical as to how it could affect game design.

Personally I'm glad that I don't have to turn them off on yet another platform. I could be fine with adding them in though, if they were.. you know.. actual achievements? As in, remove all the garbage achievements that serve no purpose. "Defeat 10 basic mooks." "Defeat 5 medium mooks." "Complete 10% of the story" "Use <Ability> 20 times" etc.

Honestly, that's my problem with achievements. Like 95%+ of them are filler garbage, and there's usually very few if any that provide additional and interesting challenges. Usually, the 'difficult' achievements are either luck-based, or just tedious and time consuming; see: the FF13 achievement for obtaining one of every single item. It's not challenging, it's just time consuming and requires a guide if you don't want to go insane.

Id be all for Nintendo adding achievements, if:
  • There are fewer of them, and all of them are actual achievements
  • They are optional for developers to implement
  • Silver/Gold coins for completion of each, or all of them
  • Minimalistic UI

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Who are you quoting? Most arguments in this thread from both points of view are solid enough to warrant a good discussion.
Someone who said the following: "You mean system wide achievements. Why though? If a game has its own achievements list, is that not enough? What does system wide really add?"

And honestly, reading some of your posts it seems like your issues go well beyond the sole existence of achievements, I wonder if you're the same person who claimed to be physically and mentally hurt by their mere existence on PSN even when disabled.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They won't have a mandatory system.

People like to say "let's give them options" but forget that some developers like the options of not having achievement or actively mock achievements.

Undertale comes to mind.
I'm not pro-achievements and I'm glad Nintendo doesn't have them.

It's just some people like to think Nintendo holds a moral high ground when it comes to system wide achievements (like many on this forum do) and it's not true. They just don't do them.

kaishek

Oct 30, 2017
Texas
95c.png

I mean, he's not wrong

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anti-trophy people seem to forget that games almost always had internal challenges that players would spend time and effort on unlocking exactly the same as trophies.

Deleted member 51306

Banned
Dec 27, 2018
Mario Kart 140 hours
Zelda 110 hours
Odyssey 45 hours
There are more examples but I've put a lot of time and 100% a lot of switch games and I absolutely wish it had an achievement system, not having them didn't take away from my experience but they would add to it. I hate the snide comments about how people shouldn't need them to enjoy games or they take away from the experience. Every other system lets you turn them off. Let people play games the way they want to. I don't understand the mindset of "I don't want this feature so it shouldn't exist " it's nonsense

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
At this point I want Nintendo to add them just so people will shut up about it.

BUT I want to be able to mute/hide them. There's nothing I hate more than a big clown sign/horn in the middle of the screen when I kill 10 foozles or pickup 20 widgets or go to Anarxia West for the first time. That stuff is dumb and irritating.

While they're at it, they can add a real play log.

Also folders and UI themes.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wish that Nintendo Switch had achievements per game but not a global count of achievements per player. That culture it generates of people burning through games and buying bad games with easy achievements etc is annoying and twists the market negatively.

I just want the statistics so I can see what my friends did or reached in games I'm also playing etc.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It would be nice. Metroid Prime Trilogy actually has something close to It.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Games that want to add achievements can add them. Making them a system wide feature included in all games is unnecessary and honestly ruins some experiences

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
As a prior X360 achievement addict(and eventual PS4 trophy abuser), I have actively been trying to ignore them in recent years.

Though I do really miss comparing progression stats with friends and global. It's illuminating to see overall progress towards certain progress milestones by the connected playerbase. Actually felt this aspect was by far the most interesting thing about them.

Would love to see how many hit certain thresholds in BotW(completing the game, getting off the starter island, finishing certain sidequests, etc...) not to mention similarly for DKTF, Bayonetta, etc...

asynchrny

Aug 22, 2018
Because I'm forced to look at them. I get them either way, turning notifications off doesn't help a bit. I want to turn off game score completely, not just notifications. Thanks for taking an interest in my state of mind and/or possible mental disability though.
Don't go into your achievement list. Why are you doing it?

How do achievements ruin your game experience so much yet you go 3 levels deep on the console menu to actually look at them?

I've explained why I care about them, and I go through the list maybe 1-2 times per year.
I think that my PSN level has been the same for 7 years.
I have no clue when I'll level up and I'd never play more games to make it higher.
I never went into the trophy list wondering what I could do.
The only times achievements influenced my gameplay was Mirrors Edge pacifist run and Dishonored pacifist run, not because I wanted it on my list, I just found the games to be a lot more fun that way.

You haven't explained why you hate them so much. You seem to be giving them a lot of attention, while hating the system at the same time. I just don't understand that.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watch out. The real gamers™️ on this board will be here soon to lecture you on how achievements are bad and you're not allowed to enjoy them.

I personally love achievements and would love to see Nintendo try them out some day. I don't buy non exclusives for my Switch because of this. id rather get them on PS4/PC when possible
You can enjoy all you want, but when devs say they are bad for the design of their games or says something.

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I agree. Nowadays I don't care about the points, I only go for Platinum on games I really love but the best thing about Trophies/Chievos is having a log with the date you completed the games or certain parts of the games.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I wish there was a way where you could have your achievements without it forcing a poor gamification paradigm onto the designers of the main game structure. Alas that doesn't seem to be the case, so I hope Nintendo never implements them instead.

As most people seem to say they don't care about the actual achievements but the activity log, I hope Nintendo improves their activity log instead.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I always saw Trophies/Achievements as a gaming journal. They aren't there to show off how good I am to other people, they are there for me to see how much I played of each game.

I also wish the Switch had a similar system, but the cool people will tell you you're not allowed to have something like that because it isn't "pure gaming" or whatever.
I can appreciate that. But what if a dev doesn't want to make them? Should the be forced to just to have a game on a system?

Steam, 360, and PS3, I have never once looked at any of them. Even WoW. Been playing the game for 14+ Straight years. Couldn't tell you what my Achievement score is. I can see why people like them, I am in the camp of they should be optional for devs to include them. And if they want make them as easy as you pressed the X button, to hit the amount forced upon them, then they should be able to.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
Don't go into your achievement list. Why are you doing it?

How do achievements ruin your game experience so much yet you go 3 levels deep on the console menu to actually look at them?

Depends on the system. In Steam the achievements are right there on the page I use to launch the game.

I generally don't care too much about them, but it does kind of sour the experience of beating some 80-hour JRPG and getting a long credit roll and feeling of accomplishment, only to get dropped back to a page saying you only accomplished 15% of the game. Considering how few people will 100% them, it just seems like such an obvious mistake to make that the note you go out on.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do you have evidence to affirm that the majority of the devs dont like them?
One never said majority. Two that ask the devs blog and a very poignant entry about it. Three at the old place there were many threads visited by devs that affirmed that adding achievements altered they way they made games in a not so good way and how it affected people who played their games.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
Keep a nice and tidy list of what games you've played and what you did in them, it's nice to come back to such list and look at the titles you've played over the years and how far you got in them. But nah it's just easier to go "hah why you care so much about such a worthless thing hahaha you silly", right?
Ok, I get that it's something some people may want and see value. I just can't agree that it's a major shortcoming.
Personally I see value in achievements when they act as a prompt to, you know, achieve something. Ideally something that you won't necessarily try in your normal play through. And let's be honest, most of them are not that. But if you want a personal progress diary, then great, but it's not really a selling feature.