• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
It sounds like Sony just wants to make sure that Marvel keeps the quality high. Checking in on the Fox properties....maybe that's not such a bad thing.

ZeroCDR

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's going to suck if Sony ends this deal on Spider-Man after one more movie. It's clear that by the end of the next film, Peter may be set up to be one of the MCU's biggest in-universe heroes so I would've liked to have seen him benefit from a long 10 year arc like the original Avengers. Not getting past high school would just blow.

Disney won't let Spider-Man get away again. Behind the scenes everything is probably very fine.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
So Holland has one more movie, and then he either renegotiates, or Holland-Spidey is out of the MCU? Am I reading that correctly?

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
• Sony now has a new six-day opening champion! Fascinating if you want to get a sense what's on the line here: When you look at Sony's top all-time openings, six of the top seven are all Spider-men. The seventh being a Bond film, from that now-departed franchise. And number eight being Venom. That's coming pretty darn close to a one-character studio. Plus Jumanji with a question mark.

This is kind of hilarious.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
FFH will be the first Spider-Man movie to make a billion dollars at the box office. I'm thinking Sony will want to keep this going.

Sleve McDichael

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
It sounds like if it underperforms, it just gives them an option to terminate the contract early?
Eh, Far From Home is already well over $600m. I don't think they would do that. Even if it falls short of a billy (it won't) it will still be the highest grossing Spidey flick yet. MCU Spidey isn't going anywhere.

Hystzen

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester UK
It more confusing that Marvel are clearly setting up Spider Man to be next Iron Man/Captain America importance in next phase of films. They know it kind of temporary but still pushing him this much.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
Sony can gtfo

They should just let Marvel have full control while making money off of the movies by doing absolutely nothing. Anything the MCU does with Spidey would be infinitely better the crap Sony would do with him.

I don't know about that one chief.

Spideyverse and the Spider-man game are both at the top of their classes tbh
Can't imagine a world without them.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine if someone came to you and said "Hey, you don't have to go to work any more. I'll go to your job and do all your work and then you'll get not only your full paycheck but MORE. All you have to do is just stay home and relax."

Would you be fighting this to get into the office and sabotage everything?

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
It more confusing that Marvel are clearly setting up Spider Man to be next Iron Man/Captain America importance in next phase of films. They know it kind of temporary but still pushing him this much.

Clearly they're pulling for a big ol' Secret Wars event movie. Get Deadpool in on the action, give us a Deadpool: Bed, Bath, and Beyonder movie

Oct 27, 2017

Spider-Verse was good because of the creators' vision behind it and Sony Pictures Animation division talent, not because Sony as a studio alone did something right. They consistently fuck up their attempts to create cinematic universes so Spider-Verse is what it is because of the talent behind it not the studio.

Terminus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Fucking knew the deal was only for 5 guaranteed movies. Thank Christ this one is a hit.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
So just 1 more movie? Sony, don't be stupid and just renew the contract. You can have venom vs carnage and make a fortune there while Marvel makes you another one in the MCU.
Money.

Marvel Studios doesn't let Sony make a Spider-Man movie on the cheap. Getting RDJ in Homecoming was particularly expensive, and was highly contentious within Sony.

Of course, it's difficult to say that investment didn't pay off, so Sony should be thrilled. But of course there's people within Sony who think the film could have been just as successful with a lower budget. Disney/Marvel is used to making huge, expensive bets, and their confidence/profligacy (depending on who you ask) is fairly atypical in Hollywood. Sony might want to coast with somewhat cheaper Spider-Man sequels, just like Fox did with X-Men, and Marvel won't let them.
Homecoming and FFH cost less than TAS tho. If anything Marvel is actually conservative with the budget (160 million is smaller than most of their films)

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'm honestly a little surprised people are taking this report as fact.

Nothing about it makes any sense. Sony already has full control. They are allowing Marvel Studios to produce for them.

But if they signed a contract allowing marvel to make a 3rd movie if the second movie made a billion, it means they don't actually have full control.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
This seems crazy to me. They must be ridiculously confident they can keep control going forward or have a great backup plan just in case.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Which spidey-verse? The one with one so-so Venom movie and an as-of-yet unconnected animated movie?

Oops, I read spideryverse as vernacular for the movie universe, Instead of just for the animated movie.

Last edited:

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it's really weird then that Marvel is setting up this Spider-Man to be a major player in the next phase of movies when they barely have a hold of him.

Starting to think they revealed his identity as a sort of kill switch for the series. If Sony were to pull out (they won't), they'd have a hell of a time writing any more movies without help from the MCU lol

In any case, it's time for Spidey to come home, like his mutant brethren before him. Venom coming out last year was more than enough reason for me to want to pull the plug on this rights thing, even with Spider-Verse being phenomenal. The pros aren't gonna outweigh the cons on this one for much longer.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
Sony Pictures is a complete diferent beast from the game company. They also don´t own the exclusive rights from Spidey games (they own the Ps4 game)

I get all that i'm referring to the poster saying Sony should hand all the rights back to Marvel & MCU

There is clearly a symbiotic (heh) relationship between the two. And i don't think any of them give a shit when they are making bank left and right off the most popular superhero

Terminus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Imagine if someone came to you and said "Hey, you don't have to go to work any more. I'll go to your job and do all your work and then you'll get not only your full paycheck but MORE. All you have to do is just stay home and relax."

You would if you thought you could piggyback off their efforts and return to make even more than they did.

SArcher

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Suck it everyone who kept saying that Holland's contract included 3 MCU team-up movies and 3 solo movies. As I said many times, the original deal was for 5 movies with FFH being the last one.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017

Well you would if you seen the venom numbers and started to get cocky

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
My guess is that it's intentional, if Marvel/Disney make Spider-Man an extremely prominent part of the MCU they know Sony pulling out will cause a pretty major backlash against Sony from Spider-man/MCU fans. Of course it's a bit of a double edged sword since Sony can potentially ask for more from Disney to keep him in the MCU since Marvel made him so prominent and popular in the MCU.

You would think so but we're talking about Sony's movie division here so you never know.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
Never understood the narrative of Sony not keeping working with Marvel and Disney for Spidey. It's a win win deal for both.

They will renew it 100%.

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
Sony can gtfo

They should just let Marvel have full control while making money off of the movies by doing absolutely nothing. Anything the MCU does with Spidey would be infinitely better the crap Sony would do with him.
But Sony already made the best Spider-Man movie yet in Spider-verse. not to mention how well they brought Venom to film(turd in the wind aside). Sure ASM1&2 were busts, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't try another live action spider-man ever again. Spider man 1 and 2 used to be the gold standard for superhero films after all.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
This is the problem, and it's why they keep insisting Spidey films drop every two years damn near.

After FFH I'm fine with them doing new Spidey films every other year, as long as they're not driving Watts and the cast into the ground. These movies are so damn fun, I want as much out of these characters as possible. Hell, if they can crank out stuff like Spider-Verse on top of it, I wouldn't mind annual Spider-Man movies either. The last four years have been a goldmine of Spidey films.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017

Within 18 months, Sony Pictures will have released Far From Home, Morbius and Venom.

Your logic only makes sense if Marvel Studios will produce 2-3 Spider-Man related films per year in order to make it worth it for Sony Pictures to not create their own Spider-Man related films.

Everyone go watch Bloodshot and hope that Valiant Cinematic Universe takes off, as well as Ghostbusters and Masters of the Universe, so Sony is less reliant on the Sony Universe of Marvel Characters.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just hope I'll be dead before Sony take Spiderman out of the MCU to make their own Spiderman movies. It's inevitable.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Ever since that Marvel Studios deal, it's actually kinda crazy how much Spider-Man output we've gotten. There's legit one more film in Holland's contract, meaning we've seen Spidey in 5 films in 3 years. And that's not including Spider-Verse.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
The shittyness of spidey films by Sony is inevitable, it's gonna strike us sooner or later

Honestly might as well make this a Spidey vs Venom vs Carnage and friends movie. If it's bad at least go out with a bang Holland!

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
I imagine if Sony is taking away Spidey away from MCU. Feige could just kill Spider-man in MCU as some sort of inciting incident that will start the next big event or whatever
He could but that'd be basically a massive turn from whatever was planned. Essentially he has to have two big plans. And there's gotta be a lot of leeway in case anything is tied up with Spidey at the time the contracts get iffy.

And if he was taken away they could only really background kill him. Can't film anything new or have anything new, so it'd be weird as fuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.