Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
This thread is gold!! GOLD!
I didn't know anything about deadly premonition. Is this game supposed to be a joke or not? I'm confused.

It isn't (largely)
The first is a genuinly amazing and unique game, ripping off Twin Peaks to the dot on the I, with some very genuine charm and humor and some so-bad-its-good fun like the janky driving

olobolger

Oct 31, 2017
Andalusia
I've talked a bit with two people who've completed the game, I asked them for no spoilers and I won't give any of the even minor details due to NDA stuff (asked not to even share minor things, so I won't).

But the gist I've gotten is if you like Deadly Premonition and want more of it, you should be very happy with DP2. The story and characters is where DP2 really shines.

Yes!! Thanks for the info 😙

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
was there a reason why they didn't go with the directors cut of deadly premonition for switch?
they kinda did. the switch version has the gameplay and UI changes of director's cut, it just omits the frame story, which is a good decision, as it seems to be retconned in the sequel. it also drops the some cosmetic dlc which imo isn't a huge deal.

Steiner_Zi

Oct 28, 2017
Man, I was interesting in the game but coming off from TLoU2 this footage looks really rough. :/

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
they kinda did. the switch version has the gameplay and UI changes of director's cut, it just omits the frame story, which is a good decision, as it seems to be retconned in the sequel. it also drops the some cosmetic dlc which imo isn't a huge deal.
Can you remind me of the specifics of what was cut? I played the director's cut yeeeeeaaaaars ago, so I don't remember what you're mentioning?

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can you remind me of the specifics of what was cut? I played the director's cut yeeeeeaaaaars ago, so I don't remember what you're mentioning?
the director's cut is really not a huge change compared to the original. it adds:
- some new suits for york which give him more health/etc, but director's cut is already easy as it is.
- some kinda offensive (imo) costumes for emily, like a bunny girl costume.
- an optional villa for york to buy, which makes no sense why he would get a house in greenvale when he can just sleep in the hotel as he's there just to solve a case.
- and the biggest thing, which isn't that big, is a few new cutscenes. in these cutscenes, the whole story of the original is framed as a story that a very old zach is telling his very young grand daughter (which seems really unnecessary, ruins the ending, and is an very weird story to tell a kid anyway.) in the end it seems like zach dies, and as the sequel seems to have other plans for zach i can see why these cutscenes were cut from origins.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the director's cut is really not a huge change compared to the original. it adds:
- some new suits for york which give him more health/etc, but director's cut is already easy as it is.
- some kinda offensive (imo) costumes for emily, like a bunny girl costume.
- an optional villa for york to buy, which makes no sense why he would get a house in greenvale when he can just sleep in the hotel as he's there just to solve a case.
- and the biggest thing, which isn't that big, is a few new cutscenes. in these cutscenes, the whole story of the original is framed as a story that a very old zach is telling his very young grand daughter (which seems really unnecessary, ruins the ending, and is an very weird story to tell a kid anyway.) in the end it seems like zach dies, and as the sequel seems to have other plans for zach i can see why these cutscenes were cut from origins.
Ohhh yeah, I now remember that framing, it was really dumb, no wonder they retconned it lol

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I've talked a bit with two people who've completed the game, I asked them for no spoilers and I won't give any of the even minor details due to NDA stuff (asked not to even share minor things, so I won't).

But the gist I've gotten is if you like Deadly Premonition and want more of it, you should be very happy with DP2. The story and characters is where DP2 really shines.

That's great to hear. Framerate is something they can ideally fix down the line with a patch so I'm glad the actual substance of the game is good.

Can't wait for next friday!

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i was really hyped but now i'm super duper extra hyped after some teases from people who have played the game.

Oct 27, 2017

Excellent. Thanks for sharing!

well, some of the reviewers might be fans of the original. it'd be interesting to see their opinion on the sequel.

I can't wait to learn more about her. She looks really interesting.

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
I'm really looking forward to seeing what she's like as a character. I feel like the original game had some issues in the way it depicted a lot of its female (and queer-coded) characters, but The Missing was infinitely more nuanced so I hope he takes some of that experience into the writing for this game.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
so, according to the japanese website Aaliyah "is also from the suburbs of New Orleans and has something to do with past incidents"

Last edited:

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
so, according to the japanese website Aaliyah "is also from the suburbs of New Orleans and has something to do with past incidents"
Wonder if they're gonna follow up on the hook at the end of the director's cut version that mentioned something happening in New Orleans in the then-present or if that will be 100% retconned?

God the prog breakdown that closes this song gets me every time. (DP1 spoilers) The way what I assume is old Zach is presented here is strangely ominous. Wonder what's going on there.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wonder if they're gonna follow up on the hook at the end of the director's cut version that mentioned something happening in New Orleans in the then-present or if that will be 100% retconned?
i assume he did have something in the back of his mind about another red seeds story taking place in new orleans (there was a pin on louisiana in the prologue of DP1), but he's doing it now while retconning that version's extra cutscenes. i doubt that version of old zach will show up in the sequel.

screenshot2020-06-24a9fk5l.png

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
So in the past week or so I have played through Deadly Premonition, D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die, and The Missing back-to-back... and all for the very first time. I am 100% ready, and truly fucking excited as all hell to be there day 1 not just for a brand new SWERY game, but a sequel to what I now, after all these years, fully understand (and also completely agree) is a really wonderful and unique game.

Pre-loaded and ready to rock.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
So in the past week or so I have played through Deadly Premonition, D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die, and The Missing back-to-back... and all for the very first time. I am 100% ready, and truly fucking excited as all hell to be there day 1 not just for a brand new SWERY game, but a sequel to what I now, after all these years, fully understand (and also completely agree) is a really wonderful and unique game.

Pre-loaded and ready to rock.

Real envious of getting to experience all those games again for the first time.

But yeah, I've also been prepping. Replayed Deadly Premonition 1 again, it's still a 10.
Now I'm watching through Twin Peaks, which is partially a revisit since I've seen the original two seasons, but I'm also getting to see The Return for the first time this week. Real stoked.

Also, if you dig all those games, I've gotta recommend Spy Fiction. Wonderful game with a lot of the charm and heart of Swery's later projects. It's even got a returning character from both Deadly Premonition and D4.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
I noticed DP2 got a new patch to 1.01 few days ago. Don't know exactly sure where that applies to but hopefully framerate.

Tygerjaw

Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking yesterday, and Swery's output this gen is kinda impressive if you think about it;
D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die, The Missing: J.J. Macfield and the Island of Memories, Deadly Premonition 2: A Blessing in Disguise and The Good Life.
All in the span of 6 years.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Very excited for this. Replaying DP at the moment on the Switch and aside from the ass backwards way some side stories trigger I'm loving replaying the game. Heck, I'm bothering to do the side stories because they offer a great window into the lives of the other characters, and flesh out the main case in certain stories. Its definitely up there as one of the jankiest game I've ever played though, but I can easily look past it because its such a blast to play. Definitely up there with Shenmue and Yakuza in terms of games that have that unique atmosphere that pulls me into the game world and characters.

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
There's people complaining about framerate in Deadly Premonition?

If this game doesn't crash at least once I'm getting my money back.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Just started playing the original again, already remember why I love it so much. The music alone is terrific

hqqttjiang

Banned
Oct 8, 2018
like the first one a lot,hope it will out on pc soon . i have a switch but i do not want to play on it.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
Zach, did you see that framerate? I think you should handle this one.

Jul 24, 2018
DP1 SPOILERS
I wonder if there will be references to Kaysen in this game since York's carreer is entirely based on pursuing him across America, while apprehending other serial killers very Silence of the Lambs esque.