• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018

In Apple's media event held this morning, the tech giant claimed that the new iPad Pro can deliver the same graphics performance as an Xbox One S.

During this event, which can be seen in its entirety here, Apple said the new iPad Pro can match this graphics performance in a product that's 94% smaller without the need of an AC cord. It also claimed it's faster than 92% of all portable PCs sold in the last month, and that its graphics performance is 1000x faster than the first generation iPad.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But you're stuck playing mobile games on a touch device though. It could be more powerful than the X but that would still hold it back in the end.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Sort of. It's like saying switch is just as powerful. It's very capable and has very modern tech and shader capability to close the gap, but it's gpu is not quite on the same level. Most games on iOS are not rendered anywhere near the native res of the display.

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
So it's safe to say it's at least more powerful than a Switch for gaming on the go? Of course it wouldn't have nintendo games and be limited to mac compatible games, but it's an option I guess, though I doubt it would match the xbox one s performance wise.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
Lets talk about thermals and if this thing will turn into a baking pan.

Also mobile software has been advancing day by day, I don't see why the iPad can't adopt a Dock setup paired with a controller to bring more consolesque experiences

The bezel-less is really beautiful though. I still love the 10.5 in as well.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
They also said it can run Assassin's Creed: Odyssey at 120fps, so... I need receipts, fam.

Oct 2, 2018
Well... doesn't matter. Even if its PC like and robust in specs, the closed eco system makes IOS devices problematic - with a device like the ipad, all the more so. I'm leaning towards buying a surface. I hardly use my old ipad pro anymore - maybe I should sell it.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
So it's safe to say it's at least more powerful than a Switch for gaming on the go? Of course it wouldn't have nintendo games and be limited to mac compatible games, but it's an option I guess, though I doubt it would match the xbox one s performance wise.
2 iPads ago was more powerful than switch.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I've no doubt it is but equally mobile/tablet games tend not to push games with visuals or scope that matches console games because of battery life/heat concerns even if they technically can do it.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Even if it was, the fact that it's a tablet means it wouldn't be able to output the kinds of games the Xbone or PS4 can because of power draw and thermals.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Is this going to be one of those threads where people complain because they perceive the claim as an assault on the purity of their hobby, or to talk about how neat it is that Apple in just a few years has designed a rather formidable and competitive GPU and CPU?

We will have to wait to test it to see if it really lives up to the claim, but even if a bit short, it is truely impressive. When everyone is getting out of the CPU and GPU market due to the difficulty, they have been making incredible progress.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
I'd like to see some more information on this because more powerful can mean a lot of things. On the other hand the basketball demo they showed was impressive.

They even touted the resolution being native to the ipad pro ('not upscaled' is what they said) and at 60 fps.