• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I think it'd be great of a high end tablet could hold its weight against some of the lower-end current gen systems but I don't see the iPad's thin and light enclosure managing the thermals for sustained play. There would also need to be a universally accepted control option that could standardize games that could use a gamepad so that app developers could have some sort of standard to develop around -- maybe this already exists but just isn't utilized all that often since the marketplace still seems generally resistant to taking on traditional gaming experiences? I don't know.

My personal ideal is seeing big publishers and developers rally for a standardized gamepad setup on iOS and then using the platform to sell and distribute well-crafted ports of classic games. We kind of already see that going on right now (port quality is questionable and variable based on title and they all have to have redone touch based UIs), but I do dream of being able to buy an iPad with the intent of maybe having access to an old Wii or WiiU-style Virtual Console from Nintendo. Virtual Console app with IAPs for each individual game, basically, and every game on the service including great display options like pixel-perfect aspect ratio display options and good scanline and CRT-emulating filters. Personally, I'd love the hell out of that... At least ,legally, and not through the large variety of emulators available on mobile platforms. Those are great too but I'm personally hung up on trying to show some monetary support on titles (which is a whole other discussion).

Animal Crossing on Mobile in its more traditional form rather than Pocket Camp is also a dream... Or really just seeing the iPad Pro or something be seen as a more traditional gaming platform in general for less tech-demanding games.

EDIT: yes I realize the Switch is basically this but it doesn't have the huge screen form factor of the iPad nor access to a large range of functionality that the iPad achieve. I love the hell out of the Switch partially because it's the closest realization to this dream to date, though!

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Interesting.
How much the power of my iPhone XS Max ? Need mort power to play my poker online. J/k. It playing on phone or tablet for serious game' is really beyond me

Ossom

Oct 31, 2017
It never was. An iPhone 7 is more powerful spec wise.
But what does that mean in practice? Would an iPhone 7 run BOTW with better performance than a Switch?

A comparison I saw of fornite on mobile vs switch showed a significant difference with Switch looking a lot better, but that is just one game.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Lol they used to say this about earlier iPhones too. Being as "powerful as an Xbox 360"

I doubt the iPad Pro could even produce gaming on the level of the 360. That's not what these things are designed for.

Monkeyball

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 19, 2018
If you can use a blue tooth Xbox controller with it, you have a premium Switch experience really.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
its probably not exactly there yet for all applications but I bet its damn close, thats why when people say they need new consoles i just dont get it, even the pro and x (cpu wise) are not much compared to what can be done these days when devices are getting released yearly. we need new machines in the console space, tech moves so fast these days

Oct 27, 2017
Technically probably true.... technically.

Consoles have :-

Standardised control scheme/controller only games.
Developer relations, encouraging premium games.
Online services/ecosystem/friends lists.

They've had years to sweat the important things out and give a great experience.

I love mobile games. I'm active in Eras own mobile games thread. Power has NEVER been the problem with iOS for at least a couple of years. The issue is freemium being the rule and paid high quality games being continuously the exception. For every Grimvalor and Holedown, there is just 1000 utterly shit titles. Plus these devices cost 3x as much! No one is buying an iPad as their primary gaming device.

Premium gaming is a tacked on afterthought to Apple, and that shows in the devices and the support from the company.

Feb 1, 2018
But what does that mean in practice? Would an iPhone 7 run BOTW with better performance than a Switch?

In practice, you'll rarely see console graphics-tier games on iOS hardware because devs aren't going to spend AAA budgets on something destined for an app store where nobody wants to pay more than $1.99 for a game. It doesn't make business sense.

If an iPhone 7 was actively cooled, in theory, yes it could run something like BOTW better. You know what has the same chip as iPhone 7 AND is actively cooled? The Apple TV 4K lol. Apple needs to release a 1st party controller for that yesterday.

Kodama4

Oct 25, 2017
It's as powerful as an Xbox One S for exactly 15.6 seconds before the battery runs out.

I'm happy that the big tech giants keep comparing their new products to the Console giants, it shows they want some of that cake.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
The problem with mobile gaming has never been the hardware or even the input device, but how the market is set up. If developers had been able to get away with selling $30+ mobile games from the beginning, you would've been seeing games on phones and tablets at least as good as dedicated handheld games.

No amount of silicon is gonna overcome the current norm of free-to-play and sub-$10 games versus $60 console games. Phones and tablets have been more powerful than the Switch for a while (probably, I haven't actually been keeping track) and definitely more powerful than the 3DS for a while, but look at the difference in the games you play on each one. The "full games" you play on mobile are invariably ports of older games that can be sold at low prices. Those games alone, like iPhone ports of Baldur's Gate or Final Fantasy Tactics, prove the problem isn't the hardware, but the market and pricing schemes.

To be more similar to consoles and dedicated handhelds, iOS probably should've had a separate game store like movies, music, and books have separate stores.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
If iPad Pro had a standardized controller that devs actually used, it could be ridiculously successful. Playing something with that quality of screen on a flight? My god.

Touch controls will always be the Achilles hero for iOS gaming. Some games are just fine with them, but it will always prevent the gaming audience at large from taking it seriously.

Ocean Bones

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
No it isn't lol. It's just one of those things companies like to say. "our shits as strong as blah blah blah"

It can probably push somewhere near xbone graphics for about 15 seconds.

commish

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As soon as I saw this post, I immediately thought "oh god, here come the "touchscreen!!!!!!" posts". Not disappointed. Ty Era.

Mobile will eventually surpass consoles in power. Inevitable when console life cycles are so long and mobile get yearly updates.

commish

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Touch controls will always be the Achilles hero for iOS gaming. Some games are just fine with them, but it will always prevent the gaming audience at large from taking it seriously.

Take it seriously? Considering how much money mobile makes, how many players it has, and how many studios are devoting more and more to mobile, this statement is bizarre.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Take it seriously? Considering how much money mobile makes, how many players it has, and how many studios are devoting more and more to mobile, this statement is bizarre.

Yeah, where I live, mobile has long surpassed consoles in market size, and it's not all f2p games. Games in the 1600¥-2800¥ range fill the top sellers list.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
Apple say stuff like this a lot, and I fully admit that I don't know enough about how benchmarking works to say if they're being disingenuous or not... But, regardless, until I can actually play Xbox - or even Switch - quality games on an iPad, I kinda don't care if it's technically equivalent in power? Like, it doesn't matter as anything other than a marketing boast, as is.

(To be clear, I say all this as someone who owns a 10.5 inch iPad Pro.)

Oct 27, 2017
Bold statement claiming your new hardware is more powerful than 5 year old tech that costs a third of what you're selling.

gaogaogao

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
they used to compare themselves to the 360 too but they still cant play red dead redemption, 1 or 2.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
Apple's claim is probably true here but it's worth remembering:

An iPad pro wouldn't maintain that performance unless plugged in

Comparing it to the XB1S is false equivalence as the One S is only as graphically as powerful as the XB1 which is about 4 years old now.

The iPad retails at a price about 3.5x higher

If anything this kind of claim in a keynote presentation shows how far Apple is clutching at straws

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Pointless comparison since it does not have the library of software to make use of that power or to rival the thing it's comparing itself with.

Hardware means nothing without the games to back it up