• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Former multi platform developer was making a multi platform game? Color me shocked.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Planned on PS5 also does not mean work had started on PS5 so it probably affected nothing on Arkane's end.

Mayjur

Feb 7, 2021
Game development takes years so the idea that there wasn't a PS5 version planned originally was beyond delusional.

Fabs

Aug 22, 2019
Why wouldn't have been? With game development lead times and the acquisition only finalized two years ago it's not that surprising. Final Fantasy 7 remake was probably planned for Xbox at one point.

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020
Microsoft wants exclusives despiter their PR talks, just like Nintendo and Sony, no big surprise here

00Quan[T]

Banned
May 12, 2022
Yeah no shit...
When will people learn that Bethesda games were never promised to come on PS5?

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
there was probably an xbox version of deathloop and ghostwire till sony paid

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Love how the after 2 years people still dont know what MS said and think they still have a gotcha haha

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
AZ_5dGrQ0PPd_-pPAk-LJDWOMcjnzVUTNCHys8BSeAw.jpg

Bengraven

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
I feel like people who are not surprised by this are entirely missing the point. Yes it's not surprising, but this is entirely undercutting Microsoft's claims that they never took anything away from Playstation in their Bethesda deal, and hurts their case for the activision merger.

They've been thoroughly using the Bethesda deal as an example of how their games are still on PS, but that's clearly only applying to previous, contractually-obligated content, and will probably concern the regulators that it will be the same with activision.

They've been transparent about saying that games that already exist on a system will not be removed. The Doom games, Skyrim, the Fallouts. They literally never said anything about future non-service games. And they shouldn't have to. No one ethically believes they should be forced to share their future games.

No one thought they meant every game would be multiplatform except those jumping through hoops.

Frieza

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder why outlets don't ask what happened to the Xbox version of Final Fantasy 7 Remake

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
Absolutely shocked that Microsoft purchased a publisher and decided to make their games first party.

My mind is blown.

A much better story would have been to find out what happened to Final Fantasy 7 Remake for Xbox.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
I think Sony would have had most of those games locked for a year of exclusivity if not for the buyout.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
When did Microsoft ever tell anyone that Bethesda games would remain multiplatform going forward?
They were SUPER fuzzy with PR in the beginning.

"Case by case basis"

"Not done to take away games from Playstation"

"Continue to honor contractual agreements"

It's a bad look, no matter how pro-competition anyone claims, this is actively taking games away from a userbase that would have otherwise gotten to play it.

Hell even now Phil's PR is leaving room to intepreation for future franchises like Elder Scrolls. Where he said Starfied is a new IP, and there's no established userbase on PlayStation. Well there sure as hell is for Elder Scrolls lol.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
Sure. But good added context when Microsoft is currently telling anyone who asks that all they would ever want to do if they complete their newest acquisition is to bring games to more people on more platforms, right?
Well, with the ABK acquisition they're commiting to iron clad promises for COD at least.

...but people are kidding themselves if they don't think that MS wants to make the unannounced Blizzard survival game exclusive to Xbox and PC.

dudu0609

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hope media outlets will raise the question to Sony that why they picked Deathloop for one-year exclusive, but not Redfall.

StraySheep

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Oct 26, 2017
What are you talking about, it was clearly stated that both were PS5 one year timed exclusives. I would much rather wait 1 year to play a game than not play it at all on either platform.

Not to go off on a tangent but I am totally fine with timed exclusives these days. Too much to play anyways

Dega

Oct 25, 2017
This doesn't go against what MS said about Bethesda or are currently saying about Activision.

CabooseMSG

Jun 27, 2020
I guess the the thing is....where is the line drawn between never promised vs taking away/removing...

That's a very thin line IMO.
I think its a pretty obvious line. Has the game been announced for a platform or not? Seems pretty cut and dry. Ghostwire and Deathloop were announced to be coming to multiple platforms, timed exclusive to PS5. Redfall and Starfield were not announced for any platforms at the time of the acquisition.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
but were sony exclusive for a year. i would be surprised if before sony paid there wasn't an xbox version of both games in dev

that would have been the case, ofc. Timed exclusivity doesn't mean they don't work on the port, it just means it gets launched later. The work would have already been finished for the most part aside from QA.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
No shit any hope for a PS5 version went away.

I feel like people who are not surprised by this are entirely missing the point. Yes it's not surprising, but this is entirely undercutting Microsoft's claims that they never took anything away from Playstation in their Bethesda deal, and hurts their case for the activision merger.

They've been thoroughly using the Bethesda deal as an example of how their games are still on PS, but that's clearly only applying to previous, contractually-obligated content, and will probably concern the regulators that it will be the same with activision.
They didn't take anything from anyone

How much longer are people going to keep saying they took it from them?

Company looking for buyer. Someone buys. "They took my games" is absurd. They're very clear about games that already existed wouldn't stop getting support.

That's capitalism that's just business

Feb 19, 2023

This isn't undercutting anything, as:

- Microsoft mentioned case-by-case basis from the beginning

- Redfall isn't being taken away from PlayStation as it was never fully developed and released for the console and is also a new IP

- When the FTC lied about Microsoft tricking the EU regarding Bethesda exclusivity, the EU immediately debunked and denied that and said that never happened; console concerns were then dropped and the EU is now focused solely on cloud concerns regarding the merger

Chalk this up to the common sense department, with only console warring as the end result.

Edit: beaten badly

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hope media outlets will raise the question to Sony that why they picked Deathloop for one-year exclusive, but not Redfall.
Obviously you'd never get an answer to that, but the likely reason is that Bethesda wasn't interested. From what we know Redfall was originally going to be more of a service title, which generally benefit more from being on multiple platforms than predominantly single player games like Deathloop and Ghostwire Tokyo.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States

"Case by case basis"

Literally every one of those statements is clear and true though.

"Case by case" - yup, different games have been handled differently, some exclusive some not.

"Not done to take games away" - yup, if they were doing this to take games away surely they'd delist Skyrim and stuff? That'd be a pretty good console war blow if that was their plan, obviously it's not.

"Continue to honor contractual agreements" - do you have info on contracts they didn't honor? Deathloop and Ghostwire still came out exclusive on PS5.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017

"Case by case basis"

It's a bad look, no matter how pro-competition anyone claims, this is actively taking games away from a userbase that would have otherwise gotten to play it.

Hell even now Phil's PR is leaving room to intepreation for future franchises like Elder Scrolls. Where he said Starfied is a new IP, and there's no established userbase on PlayStation. Well there sure as hell is for Elder Scrolls lol.

Thank you for this post.

I think some ppl are being real selective about the contractual part.

Oh well.

If this game was already in active development for PS5 is the million dollar question.

Status
Not open for further replies.