Status
Not open for further replies.

data

Oct 25, 2017
I bet MS's lawyers are absolutely over the moon about one of their developer's announcing that they took a multiplatform game exclusive, while they're trying to argue they'll do the exact opposite with Activision. Lmao.
I mean it's not the exact opposite. Theyre only promising 10 years.

Deleted member 15395

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To think that people were deluding themselves so hard about Starfield and other bethesda games coming to PS5 back then...

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Buying off a publisher isn't the same as buying a publisher. Buying a publisher incurs much more responsibility for the owning party. They are solely responsible for nurturing and producing all studios and titles from then on. People are pretending it's just a more extreme version of exclusivity deals to create some kind of one-sided unfairness argument.

Damien1990

May 23, 2020
I am sure the thread about Bungie's next IP being a PS5 console exclusive will have level headed takes as well.

It has been made clear that it won't be exclusive.

Bungie.net

Q. Bungie has future games in development, will they now become PlayStation exclusives?
No. We want the worlds we are creating to extend to anywhere people play games. We will continue to be self-published, creatively independent, and we will continue to drive one, unified Bungie community.

I know you've brought up before that you think they plan for MATTER to be a PS5 exclusive but that ain't going to happen. The Bungie acquisition is more about getting the GaaS expertise for Sony's push into that area of gaming.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Most people over here were happy with Sony securing content. There are threads that I watched years ago and never stopped watching that bear witness.
The hill most want to die on is ''I am used to getting games by default on PlayStation and I want status quo to remain the same.''
I disagree there…again I believe it's simply bigger audience = more ppl effected. "Most people here" is a generalization and 60k ppl does not represent the entire userbase.

And this is kinda going off topic, the point is it should be ok to call out PR and say buying pubs is lame. It is…just like timed exclusives.

Maybe in time that will prove untrue, history in other industries show consolidation sucks in the long run. Again, hopefully I am wrong.

GulfCoastZilla

Shinra Employee
Sep 13, 2022
Sony isn't buying out publishers. Why do you insist on this Sony vs MS narrow minded view of gaming? No, I don't have to call Sony out, they aren't buying entire publishers and my post was talking about the consolidation of publishers in the industry not about moneyhatting exclusives. Moneyhatting is bad and I hate when either Sony or MS do it but the problem of moneyhatting pales in comparison to the much larger and industry wide issue that is buying and consolidation of publishers.

You insist on narrowing your view to a Sony vs MS argument when there is much more at stake than the silly console wars battle. I'm not in favor of any company buying out entire publishers not Microsoft and definitely not Sony.
But you're in favor of money hats locking out millions of people. It's a different approach with the same result.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Only Square knows that. If I had to guess, FFVII Remake was designed and developed with the deal in mind, which allowed them to finish the game quicker. Then they just didn't bother to work on a separate port for Xbox hardware.
You truly believe that the only reason ff7re isn't on Xbox yet is because square "just didn't bother to work on a separate port..."?

What?

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
I bet MS's lawyers are absolutely over the moon about one of their developer's announcing that they took a multiplatform game exclusive, while they're trying to argue they'll do the exact opposite with Activision. Lmao.

I doubt they care because MS never intended to keep all Bethesda games multiplatform. Phil said they'd keep the MMOs multi-platform. He said everything else would be case by case.

Phil has specifically used Minecraft as a point of reference for how they'd treat CoD. He hasn't mentioned any other franchises. Just CoD.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
I disagree there…again I believe it's simply bigger audience = more ppl effected. "Most people here" is a generalization and 60k ppl does not represent the entire userbase.

And this is kinda going off topic, the point is it should be ok to call out PR and say buying pubs is lame. It is…just like timed exclusives.
We are looking at the people that post in this forum. On certain topics.

We are not in disagreement.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I bet they don't care. Because CMA already knows about it.

From the acquisition thread...from the CMA.

"Microsoft stated that it would "honor all of ZeniMax's obligations to continue to make its current games available on other gaming hardware, including two planned console exclusive releases for the Sony PlayStation 5: Deathloop and Ghostwire: Tokyo". The games were released on an exclusive basis on PlayStation with high Metacritic ratings.

Microsoft has not taken any existing ZeniMax titles which were shipping on PlayStation on 9 March 2021 (the date when it closed its acquisition of Zenimax) off Playstation or other platforms.

Microsoft was clear that "[REDACTED]". The first Xbox and PC exclusive games will be Starfield and Redfall (both entirely new games) which are scheduled to be released in 2023 (i.e., some 2 years after the ZeniMax acquisition).

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I love how this becomes news worthy today, despite it being known and obvious for years.

DryCreek

Oct 25, 2017
That's true but most cases those deals were not called out on. Because somehow that exclusivity is different.
i think the magnitude of buying publishers and potentially making entire catalogs of future games exclusive vs singular studio buyouts or moneyhatting singular titles is what partly explains the higher level of pushback.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
It would have been still early in the process, so I don't imagine it was a huge amount of work that was lost when they canceled it.

As for the rest of it, I really don't care. I'm not in the doom and gloom camp of canceled multiplatform games.

Jun 25, 2022
I think I read somewhere that Starfield was supposed to be timed-exclusive for PS5 so I think if MS hadn't bought Bethesda, Redfall would've been another timed exclusive title like Ghostwire Tokyo, Deathloop and Starfield.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
You truly believe that the only reason ff7re isn't on Xbox yet is because square "just didn't bother to work on a spyware) separate port..."?

What?

hard to tell without knowing the specifics but that lack of an Xbox port so far means that the deal SE would have signed from the start was for it to be only available on PS and PC for the whole series just like SF5 was for PS and PC

data

Oct 25, 2017
i think the magnitude of buying publishers and potentially making entire catalogs of future games exclusive vs singular studio buyouts or moneyhatting singular titles is what partly explains the higher level of pushback.
I know. It's unfortunate the industry doesn't pushback when it's smaller things because it snowballs.

Like horse armor dlc and dlc in general just becoming more prevalent.

Releasing broken games to day 1 to patch it eventually.

Microtransactions, loot boxes.

Oct 31, 2017
But you're in favor of money hats locking out millions of people. It's a different approach with the same result.
I'm in favor of moneyhats? I think I'm gonna add you to my ignore list now because this is going to go somewhere I don't want. I've explicitly mentioned how I think moneyhats are bad. Both moneyhats and buying publishers is terrible in my book but you insist on lying and saying that I favor moneyhats when I explicitly say I do not want them.

Right there in my post you just quoted, I explicitly mention how I detest moneyhats and buying out publishers but you insist on misquoting me for whatever stupid reason.

Last edited:

HelloItsPulse

Dec 14, 2017
MS honored the agreements Bethesda had with Sony, it's not their fault Sony didn't strike a deal for Redfall. MS isn't obligated to put games on PS5, just like how Sony isn't obligated to put games on Xbox.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like people who are not surprised by this are entirely missing the point. Yes it's not surprising, but this is entirely undercutting Microsoft's claims that they never took anything away from Playstation in their Bethesda deal, and hurts their case for the activision merger.

They've been thoroughly using the Bethesda deal as an example of how their games are still on PS, but that's clearly only applying to previous, contractually-obligated content, and will probably concern the regulators that it will be the same with activision.
They never announced this game for PS5, right? Since the day it was announced, its been Xbox/PC

Also, isn't what you described literally how they've been talking about it?

DryCreek

Oct 25, 2017
I know. It's unfortunate the industry doesn't pushback when it's smaller things because it snowballs.

Like horse armor dlc and dlc in general just becoming more prevalent.

Releasing broken games to day 1 to patch it eventually.

Microtransactions, loot boxes.
Yeah I agree. I would personally be super sup portative of some sort of legal solution to companies moneyhatting individual titles. specifically the type of "we will pay you x to not release on this platform" agreements.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
It has been made clear that it won't be exclusive.

Bungie.net

I know you've brought up before that you think they plan for MATTER to be a PS5 exclusive but that ain't going to happen. The Bungie acquisition is more about getting the GaaS expertise for Sony's push into that area of gaming.
I'm assuming their next game(s) will be multiplatform until proven otherwise, but it's worth pointing out that their statement is ambiguous enough to mean that upcoming games could come to PS and PC but skip Xbox. They avoided mentioning Xbox in that context because it would paint them into a corner they might not want to be in in five years.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
People always seem to bring up "case by case basis" said in September 2020, but then leave out that later, Xbox CFO in November made the "1st, better or best" comment:

www.ign.com

Microsoft Wants Bethesda Games 'First or Better or Best' on Xbox - IGN

Microsoft says that Bethesda games coming to cross-platform will be 'first or better or best' on an Xbox console or platform.

"What we'll do in the long run is we don't have intentions of just pulling all of Bethesda content out of Sony or Nintendo or otherwise," Stuart says. "But what we want is we want that content, in the long run, to be either first or better or best or pick your differentiated experience, on our platforms. We will want Bethesda content to show up the best as — on our platforms."

MS was pretty wishy-washy during all of this, and it wasn't just deluded Playstation fans who thought they'd keep Bethesda multi-plat, there were actually pissed off Xbox fans complaining "why did you even buy them then?" after cheerleading the acquisition.

In my opinion MS was at the very least misleading..

Having said that, I said back in the day they'd do exactly what they are doing now. They didn't "pull games off of Playstation", they released the games on contract on to Playstation...

.. and probably from here on out, Bethesda is a 1st party exclusive dev.

The final test will be the next Doom or Quake IMO. If that's exclusive, then what does anyone think MS will make for Playstation?

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
Since this thread has just turned into people airing their console war grievances we have decided to close it.

Status
Not open for further replies.