• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
I get wanting to have certain shows back but I don't think it's a great idea to brng back the same people. I would like G4 to improve instead of cribbing on stagnate ideas.

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
G4 was never my thing. I was in college/early career all about tech and gaming - yet even back then I thought it was a bit condescending and often times pure cringe. I did enjoys Icons - but there are a thousand podcasts and youtube channels that execute that better these days.

SatoAilDarko

Oct 25, 2017
Kevin Pereira couldn't stand to let Justin Bailey make him look bad.
LOL - I still can't believe that thread. My memory is actually pretty shitty so I have no idea how I remembered that.

This was the first thing I thought of.

From Google Images:

11-16-2014%2B10-09-42%2BPM.png

9 years later is crazy.

You're a legend for that. I still remember a comment about you having a post-it-note on your monitor to remind you to comment when they died.

Still one of my favorite moments from the old site. I will never forget it.

I guess you've been proven wrong now though.

EDIT: For those who don't know what I'm talking about, Kevin Pereira used to do rants about games on the G4 news show Pulse. One particular one that caught a lot of ire was the aftermath of Nintendo's E3 2004, saying that the DS would be a disaster compared to the PSP, the "Reggielution", as was the term coined for new Nintendo appointee Reggie Fils-Aime's bombastic appearance at Nintendo's press event, was a non-factor, and Nintendo fans were kidding themselves if Nintendo's struggles wouldn't force them to go 3rd party.

In the thread made for this on GAF, Justin Bailey here chimed in that G4 would leave the TV market before Nintendo left the hardware market. Then, 9 FUCKING YEARS LATER, after G4 announced they were going off the air, he bumped the thread with a simple "Called it".
Haha. I'm ok with that this time. It's pretty cool news.

Justin hasn't been proven wrong. Since Nintendo's still in the hardware market. Even so they still died already and left the TV market. In fact Justin has the very probable opportunity to be right twice.

It's a shame he can't bump that thread a second time if it happens.

Justin Bailey

BackOnline
Oct 28, 2017
This was the first thing I thought of.

From Google Images:

11-16-2014%2B10-09-42%2BPM.png

9 years later is crazy.

You're a legend for that. I still remember a comment about you having a post-it-note on your monitor to remind you to comment when they died.

Justin hasn't been proven wrong. Since Nintendo's still in the hardware market. Even so they still died already and left the TV market. In fact Justin has the very probable opportunity to be right twice.

It's a shame he can't bump that thread a second time if it happens.
I'm glad you guys got some laughs out of it. To be honest, I was half-expecting to be banned when I bumped the thread.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm curious to see how this revival turns out, in many ways G4 as ahead of it's time with content in the pre-youtube/streaming era. But will modern audiences really care about an old TV channel brand that hasn't been relevant in a decade? I wonder what kind of content they have in mind to attract viewers that never watched (or even heard of) the original cable channel.

Oct 29, 2017
The landscape is so different. I can't imagine a world where g4 exists. Silly sketches? How many YouTubers put those out every hour? 24/7 news? Refresh any gaming aggregate site like this one.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Just waiting for Morgan Webb and to see who is going to be on the Attack of the Show crew then I'm set. Also, they'd better bring back Cinematech.

Jul 24, 2020
If they're not on YouTube (with proper five minute videos) they're screwed.

That Venn channel uploads 48 minute videos. Why? I don't know.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I hope they enlist some of the of the previous G4 folk to help produce new content / reboots of shows, but get new talent and hosts. I wouldn't mind seeing Kevin or Morgan, et al, once in a while (or especially have Kevin be the lead producer for AotS), but they're going to need fresh faces and personalities for it to last and connect with a new, younger audience.

Though I expect them to be hocking a lot of merch. They know plenty of fans who were broke in 2007/2008 now have plenty of money to casually spend on themselves and their kids.

Dec 6, 2017
Los Angeles
I did a commercial for G4 in 2002 filmed at E3. I only ever saw it once. Itbwas me and my brother talking about fights we had whike playing Muscle on the NES. I think they called it brotherly love. I would love to see it again. I could never find it online.

Jul 24, 2020
I hope they enlist some of the of the previous G4 folk to help produce new content / reboots of shows, but get new talent and hosts. I wouldn't mind seeing Kevin or Morgan, et al, once in a while (or especially have Kevin be the lead producer for AotS), but they're going to need fresh faces and personalities for it to last and connect with a new, younger audience.

Though I expect them to be hocking a lot of merch. They know plenty of fans who were broke in 2007/2008 now have plenty of money to casually spend on themselves and their kids.

Definitely Kevin needs to be involved somehow. He gets pop-culture/gaming whilst understanding how silly and crazy the culture is. And has experience on a big set obviously as producer/host.

I don't like the idea of just having new faces because gaming is some "young persons medium". Like they're is no need. Have veterans in the media/gaming industry and new faces.

And hopefully less 2000s circa college exploit shenanigans.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
That Venn gaming network doesn't even have 10k YouTube subscribers and averages just under 500 viewers on Twitch.

Good luck. People will follow content creators. The days of networks for gaming are long gone.

pillowtalk

Oct 10, 2018
I stopped watching after g4 merged with cnet and added shows like xplay and aots. I only enjoyed that channel for game trailers and that guy who RPed in mmos.