• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 11262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a video-interview with its game director Bruce Straley, who just talks a bit about his experiences and feelings with and towards the game 5 years after release. What I found especially interesting was his mention of No Country for Old Men as an inspiration, because I always had this feeling while playing it and I even had the same thought after watching the movie back in '08: I want to play a game as intense as No Country for Old Men.
Neil and Bruce talked about it before, but I guess this is just a reminder for myself of how great this game really was for me and that I definitely consider it as a masterpiece.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/06/18/how-the-last-of-us-remains-a-masterpiece-5-years-later

Close if old. Searched for it, but haven't found anything.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
"Remains"? For 5 years to change a game's status from masterpiece to not, the person would either have to be extremely young or extremely fickle.

M1chl

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Czech Republic
Hmm I though the inspiration was movie The Road. Don't see any resemblance of No Country for Old Men. Anyway, masterpiece....umm, no not really, just an opinion.

Zippro

May 20, 2018
Funny. I've seen nothing but people grow increasingly of the opinion that "No, yeah. It's actually really okay in retrospect. Not the masterpiece we said it was." Like, the gameplay and generic zombie story haven't aged well imo. But neither were really great in the first place. The ending was nice, but there's so much about that story that comes off as super shallow. Joel gets a lot of development, but it comes at the cost of Ellie's character just being a snarky personality with no depth. She's been there for what happens in a lot of other's lives, but nothing really for her own.

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Funny. I've seen nothing but people grow increasingly of the opinion that "No, yeah. It's actually really okay in retrospect. Not the masterpiece we said it was." Like, the gameplay and generic zombie story haven't aged well imo. But neither were really great in the first place. The ending was nice, but there's so much about that story that comes off as super shallow. Joel gets a lot of development, but it comes at the cost of Ellie's character just being a snarky personality with no depth. She's been there for what happens in a lot of other's lives, but nothing really for her own.

This happens for anything, you'll always have people hot taking after the fact. TLOU was and is a masterpiece

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hmm I though the inspiration was movie The Road. Don't see any resemblance of No Country for Old Men. Anyway, masterpiece....umm, no not really, just an opinion.
Just like your opinion that it isn't.

But I don't see anywhere where it said 100 percent of all players who played it claimed it was a masterpiece.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
What else would you call a game with the critical acclaim The Last of Us has and still enjoys? Or are we not clear on what the term "masterpiece" means?

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Joel gets a lot of development, but it comes at the cost of Ellie's character just being a snarky personality with no depth. She's been there for what happens in a lot of other's lives, but nothing really for her own.

What a wacky interpretation. She's on a grief driven suicide mission that drives the entire plot yo. Like how is this your analysis, I'm dying.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017

Since its generic you must have multiple examples of very similar stories and concepts?
The cordyceps inspired infection was pretty fresh, and there were some stellar performances from the actors where I cant think of good comparisons that make it generic, nor any game thats even come close to what they did to this day.

John Bender

Oct 27, 2017
The greatest game of all time for me. Joel is the G.O.A.T.
Funny indeed. Because I see and read again and again how people played it and came to the conclusion that it is their favourite game ever. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

OP
OP

Deleted member 11262

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One of the inspirations of course. The Road is another one.
And the combat in TLoU - especially melee - is the most intense one I've seen personally, which definitely has a resemblance with No Country for Old Men. The movie had a really game-y feeling imo with its long shootout/chase sections and the constant threat of death hanging above its characters.

And your opinion sucks btw. :P

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County

I don't know how anyone playing the game can walk away believing this? She is a snarky personality with no depth? Are you sure you played the game this thread is about?

KOHIPEET

Oct 29, 2017
Gameplay-wise? It might not be a masterpiece, but really close to it. The overall package? A masterpiece. That opening still gives me the goosebumps.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've beaten it 3 times and will do another completion prior to the release of TLOU2. To me it is one of the finest games ever made, in my top 5 of all time. I have friends and cousins who've completed it like 5 plus times, and I believe there are several on this very forum that have beaten it more times than that too, which is crazy lol.

Side note, last I checked it was in the Metacritic top 10 highest user rated games of all time, so it clearly resonates with a lot of gamers.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
TLOU was great when it came out and is great today.

IMO games do not change in quality over time. They are always the same game.

M1chl

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Czech Republic
What else would you call a game with the critical acclaim The Last of Us has and still enjoys? Or are we not clear on what the term "masterpiece" means?

No not really, I guess different part of the world different thinking and besides I am not a native English speaker, so yeah not using this word pretty much at all.

One of the inspirations of course. The Road is another one.
And the combat in TLoU - especially melee - is the most intense one I've seen personally, which definitely has a resemblance with No Country for Old Men. The movie had a really game-y feeling imo with its long shootout/chase sections and the constant threat of death hanging above its characters.

And your opinion sucks btw. :P

I don't say it does not suck : )

Anyway with the No Country for Old Men, I felt the "quiet tension" (if that make sense) throughout the movie and you could say that something like this exist in The Last of us, but really in small doses, don't know. I mainly wanted to get to the next, cutscene to be honest. This is my issue with Naughty Dogs games PS3 gen onwards. Which is pretty big issue when it's a game and you just want to watch.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I don't really get how five years is a long enough period of time for something to potentially lose its 'masterpiece' status, that's less than the length of a console generation, or roughly the development time of a single major game by some studios.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
No not really, I guess different part of the world different thinking and besides I am not a native English speaker, so yeah not using this word pretty much at all.

"Masterpiece, magnum opus (Latin, great work) or chef-d'œuvre (French, master of work, plural chefs-d'œuvre) in modern use is a creation that has been given much critical praise, especially one that is considered the greatest work of a person's career or to a work of outstanding creativity, skill, profundity, or workmanship."

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Joel gets a lot of development, but it comes at the cost of Ellie's character just being a snarky personality with no depth. She's been there for what happens in a lot of other's lives, but nothing really for her own.
I can't imagine having played the game (especially Left Behind) and feeling this way. The burden she carries over the course of that game, through no choice of her own, is felt every step of that story.

Here's some of your 'snarky personality with no depth'

Last edited:

Deleted member 33515

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
I hate this mindset that if someone doesn't like a game then all other people shouldn't like it either. PERSONALLY I find TLOU's story extremely compelling, full of great moments, surprises and of course an incredible ending that still makes people talk today. sure, it's the "usual zombie story" but that's just how it's framed, it's not everything to it. and gameplay wise, it's a very coherent and layered experience, with a high skill ceiling: you can play it dumb or you can be extremely good at it, and the game has room for the weak player and the great player. it's really nuanced in a way you don't see often, so I don't understand how anyone could discount this as being an average game play experience. also, if you don't see Ellie evolving you're clearly not watching the story closely enough, but I agree that it's mainly Joel's tale, and there's nothing wrong with that either.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA

Sounds like you're in your own echo chamber. Game of the generations is only used half jokingly by many.

Deleted member 20433

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I started my second playthrough of the game a week ago, haven't played it since release but I remember thinking it was one of my favourite games. I'm maybe 30 minutes from finishing it and it has hold up really well. The characters and minimalistic story is great, but it's the atmosphere that makes the game so special for me. Finding letters with hope of seeing one another again, or the sadness of finding a family photo next to dead people who's presumably the people on the photo. The world feels so alive and dead at the same time.

OP
OP

Deleted member 11262

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't really get how five years is a long enough period of time for something to potentially lose its 'masterpiece' status, that's less than the length of a console generation, or roughly the development time of a single major game by some studios.
It's basically a video about Bruce Straley reflecting on a game he developed 5 years prior and at the end he says he is pretty satisfied and proud of it. There's not much else to it.
The reason why I made a thread is because I was actually happy to see him again after he left for a sabbatical 2 years ago (and officially left last year).
I agree, and I also believe this will be a great thread to read.
I think a lot of haters have me on ignore, which is actually a great way to pre-emptively pacify threads with potentially controversial headlines. Just hit me up if you want one of those posted. :D

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Not only is it one of my favorite games, but i've also never watched as many Let's Plays for a game as I have with TLoU. There are just so many moments that bring out really strong emotions from people. Henry's suicide, the farm house conversation, Ellie killing David, the whole end point from the lie to "Okay". It's just so good. Like I love how people are initially excited when Ellie kills David and then she doesn't stop and they're like "....oh shit".

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017

Speaking of movies, what films did you use as touchstones for creating The Last Of Us?
Bruce: It started, actually, with Children Of Men. And then we saw No Country For Old Men together – we went to a preview or showing somewhere, we kind of lucked out with some tickets at the last minute... I don't know, it was one of those things – and I hadn't heard about it, I hadn't seen a trailer, I hadn't read the Cormac McCarthy book.

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/features/last-us/

As for The Road, they read the book and saw the film. I didn't really notice the No Country For Old Men "inspiration" aside from potentially the Texas setting, but both Children of Men and The Road sure as hell stood out right away. Blatantly so.

I was very late to playing this (on PS4); but whilst I thought it was excellent...it definitely did not hold up on further plays.

Not in my top 5 PS4 games.

That's how I feel about it. I thought it was a great, first time experience, but that's it. Bought the remaster later since it was on sale for $10, and I was bored after the sniping section.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I was very late to playing this (on PS4); but whilst I thought it was excellent...it definitely did not hold up on further plays.

Not in my top 5 PS4 games.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A snarky person with no depth? The one true selfless classic hero in the story, being pressure tested and forged through her experiences? This is what you got from the character after 5 years?

It's like you read a synopsis from the back of the box in 2013 and decided to call it a day.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
Really great interview and glad to see Bruce doing good. Game remains the greatest ever and will be doing my yearly playthrough either July or August.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Not only is it one of my favorite games, but i've also never watched as many Let's Plays for a game as I have with TLoU. There are just so many moments that bring out really strong emotions from people. Henry's suicide, the farm house conversation, Ellie killing David, the whole end point from the lie to "Okay". It's just so good. Like I love how people are initially excited when Ellie kills David and then she doesn't stop and they're like "....oh shit".

Yep. I generally hate watching other people play single player games. But this was one game I'd actively seek out reaction videos and let's plays just to share in those moments.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Ha, glad it's not just me. I'm in the midst of a Let's Play right now. They are super rewarding.

bulletyen

Nov 12, 2017
"Remains"? For 5 years to change a game's status from masterpiece to not, the person would either have to be extremely young or extremely fickle.
Yeah I'm tired of people making a big deal out of a short span of time like a few years... have some goddamn perspective. This medium is decades old, and the title at hand is hardly even last gen.

But the game deserves a place in video game history, though it may be too early to know for sure. It may not be the Citizen Kane of video games-- an innovative out of the box mold breaker, but it could be its Casablanca: a genre piece that did nothing new but everything right, demonstrating maturity of the medium within existing commercial confines and modes of expression.

Oct 28, 2017
The Last of Us is my GOAT, but I kind of missed a huge thing on my first playthrough that everyone else got to experience. The giraffe scene. I was just in pure game mode and so when Ellie ran off and started calling me, my game brain was telling me well I'll just check what's over here and come back to her. Turns out I completely skipped the scene and only saw the giraffes from the the roof. I had no idea why everyone kept going on about the giraffes until my second playthrough where I saw the scene as intended.

Omeganex9999

Oct 25, 2017
London
I played the game when it came out in 2013 and it became one of my favorite of all times, definitely the highest point of last gen with RDR.
Played it again after the PS4 Pro patch came out and even though some of the mechanics might not be perfect, it still is a work of art.

There is nothing, nothing like TLOU anywhere else, and there won't be before TLOU2 comes out.

KrigareN-

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Easily a Top 3 for me. Probably the only game I would consider a masterpiece.

Edit:
Nevermind, I consider Journey as one as well.

TwoCoins

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Houston Tx

blind and deaf indeed.

Deleted member 20066

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The intro with the daughter was awesome. The ending in the hospital was awesome.
Everything else was boring/predictable for me. Winter was ruined for me because of what I consider to be a shit boss fight with a needless videogame cliche of repeat steps 3 times.
6/10 game for me but who gives a shit what i think cus i know im in the minority.