Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
😬

Really?

I've been pointing it since the first trailer 2 years ago, maybe it's finally being more noticed

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
its a fantasy game; not like they are basing it off of any real world events/locations. This makes no sense.

AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021
So this fictional, fantasy, completely made up setting doesn't have diversity because it doesn't make sense for this fictional, fantasy, completely made up setting to have it?

Nah, that ain't it. Need to do better here.

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
Exactly like you can represent something adjacent to those times. But it's a terrible excuse for anything that remotely has fantasy elements.

Yeah like honestly to me it shouldn't even need any sort of narrative or thematic justification to include POC, they can exist in places even where it doesn't make "sense", which is the beauty of fantasy and fiction. Eh, I'm quite annoyed by this continuous justification for the exclusion of non-whites.

Not just that, the "where's the women protagonists?" question answered was really eyerolling as well.

I just read the full article now. Did Koji just "power of friendship" his way through that answer....I can't.

OP
OP
Ashodin

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC
Reminder that what I posted were excerpts from the full response, as he makes a remark about Final Fantasy being about struggles of the characters, not that that adds much to the response.

Having to write paragraphs to what essentially was a yes or no question is not great optics.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Trash answer , they have 2 other AAA games from SE that have PoC in them .
Maybe he should look inside company to see what they doing .

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
I was thinking this lol, all this bs about 'one continent = one race'. Ok, make them all black then. That's something we'll probably never see in our lifetimes tho.
Lol can you imagine. I fucking wish man

Nakenorm

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Well that sucks. Not that it wasn't obvious from the trailers but still.

Nilson

Nov 5, 2017
It's a pretty ignorant answer. I feel like it's important for folks to let them know it's ignorant. He probably doesn't think it's as big of a deal as it is.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
It's definitely a dodge on the question and a ding on the man. Definitely something CBU3 and SE at large needs to work on.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I do think, though, that there's a running issue with fantasy stories since they're often based on a pop culture interpretation of European medieval history which further reenforces a lack of diversity. Like, for sci-fi, a lot of formative works tried to take a futuristic outlook and saw diversity as just some inevitable reality in the future, so other works would carry that forward. That's not necessarily to say that the people making it are more progressive, but if they try to create something that resembles the work that's inspired them it might do a little better just because of that.

Even the idea of fantasy "races" invokes the pseudoscientific idea of race, that different types of humans can be classified by identifying external traits, as if humans are vastly different species. In a fantasy world that's true of human-like creatures such as dwarves or elves - they may be far removed from humans in terms of their biology and have different points of origin from human entirely. You might even have subspecies, like how you'll have duegar who are dwarves that are adapted to a different environment and have mechanically different abilities as a result.

Fantasy often sets you up to expect an explanation for why this group is here and why they look different, because one of the measures by which it's judged is the creativity and detail of the world it provides. But then you apply that to humans and it gets really weird, because we don't really need any special justifications for that in a totally constructed setting.

That's not to say that this is a sufficient explanation or that Final Fantasy has an excuse because of its genre, but I don't think it's that surprising for it to fail on this level if there isn't active interest to fix it.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, the game is so bad here. In 2022 it is inexcuseable.

famicorpse

Unshakable Resolve
Mar 15, 2019
The trailers made this super obvious. But yeah, as a FF14 player, it's pretty clear they could do better with diversity.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Talking up the "realism" of the racial makeup of a fantasy setting where people turn into fucking fire demons and leap 30 feat in the air to do melee combos sure is a choice.

ventuno

Nov 11, 2019
The answers are terrible and only help confirm a lot of concerns many of us have with regards to the game's cast. Did they have people transforming into mythical beasts in realistic medieval Europe jw. If you can justify magic but not racial diversity then your motivations aren't "accuracy."

There were red flags that people hand waved based on their personal belief that there aren't enough Dudes(TM) in video games, so this sets the bar for what to expect from the game in a pretty disappointing way.

OP
OP
Ashodin

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC
x2.jpg

Due to the underlying geographical, technological, and geopolitical constraints of this setting, Valisthea was never going to realistically be as diverse as say a modern-day Earth

This sentence is going to live in my head rent-free all the way to the game's release

Jetsun Mila

User requested ban
Banned
Apr 7, 2021
A simple "We fucked up, we're going to make it better next time" would be preferable to this answer.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Absolutely there is a massive whitewashing and the world during those times are far far more connected than they want to believe. Like look at a fucking map and you see people could easily cross to Spain via Gibraltar or through the Middle East and turkey.
Silk Road was in the first century. Almost all known world, at that time, was connected. And after that it was connected by boat.

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
I was thinking this lol, all this bs about 'one continent = one race'. Ok, make them all black then. That's something we'll probably never see in our lifetimes tho.

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease lol What I would give to have a big budget game like this with no white characters.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Is he a racist or something? Why would he choose to do this?

Short answer: I don't know the guy's heart.

But if we are to give him a good faith assessment, not intentionally, but Japanese devs haven't' really been the best here. You gotta remember that a lot of Japanese assessment of Western culture is filtered through whiteness.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
even if we want to assume there were no native black people living in europe, there were plenty of traders and merchants from Africa, Middle-East and Asia.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
x2.jpg

Due to the underlying geographical, technological, and geopolitical constraints of this setting, Valisthea was never going to realistically be as diverse as say a modern-day Earth

This sentence is going to live in my head rent-free all the way to the game's release

Hey, the technology in Final Fantasy games does limit peoples range of travel. It's not like the series has ships that fly in the air or something.

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Xenoblade came out with such a great diverse cast in a big world. FF13 still had the best poc character in the series history. This dude is here spewing bs.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
x2.jpg

shit, how do I say I forgot PoC's existed in Medieval times without sounding like an ass?

ooooh I know

Oct 27, 2017
I always hate these kinds of reasonings especially when your game has giant dragon summons and Chocobos. But POC is just too far 🙄 It never, ever makes sense to me. Disappointing.

Yep, reminds me of chuds angry at Lord of the Rings. Dragons, giants and monsters is fine, but apparently having black people in your game is a fucking bridge too far!

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty stupid response from YoshiP here when Forspoken has brown and black people featured prominently in both the real and fantasy worlds and FFVII Remake has a black party member and diversity in the NPCs.

OP cut off a bit about the interview here:

" -it can be challenging to assign distinctive ethnicities to either antagonist or protagonist without triggering audience preconceptions, inviting unwarranted speculation, and ultimately stoking flames of controversy."

Its a really dumb response and cold feet to any kind of controversy involving the themes of slavery and very obvious European/Middle Eastern war stuff going on in the game. They might know they aren't equipped to handle themes of race in a game like this but that's why you hire diverse writers and consultants.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017

I wouldn't say so. FFXIV (Where he is director) is much better than this.
FFXVI is a different game and creative director. He's just producer. While that does have clout, he's not solely responsible for a lot of these decisions.

I think another post here is right, a lot of what "inspired" this game's direction is derivative of media that is fundamentally filtered through western whiteness, I doubt it ever crossed their mind.

Vault

â–² Legend â–²
Oct 25, 2017
That explains why Y'shtola gets whiter every expansion

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Silk Road was in the first century. Almost all known world, at that time, was connected. And after that it was connected by boat.
Yep so I dont buy this stuff at all. Its ridiculous. Esp when you look at certain people on the Euro side from portugal,Greece, Spain with the Moors etc. tired of these poor Eurocentric views totally disregarding that people may have lived settled during those times.
a book recently came out that turns a lot of this stuff on its head.
www.smithsonianmag.com

A New History Changes the Balance of Power Between Ethiopia and Medieval Europe

For centuries, a Eurocentric worldview disregarded the knowledge and strength of the African empire

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I wouldn't say so. FFXIV (Where he is director) is much better than this.
FFXVI is a different game and creative director. He's just producer. While that does have clout, he's not solely responsible for a lot of these decisions.

I think another post here is right, a lot of what "inspired" this game's direction is derivative of media that is fundamentally filtered through western whiteness, I doubt it ever crossed their mind.

its pretty funny that whenever theres something positive about ff16 people post yoshi p suffering from success memes but when the lack of diversity is questioned, hes no longer fully responsible, lmao

Kline

AVALANCHE
Sep 15, 2022
Unacceptable answer that will, sadly, be drowned out in the overwhelming noise of toxic positivity from those who believe FFXIV and Yoshi P can do no wrong

Ssyem

Banned
Mar 15, 2022
This is Japan, a country where letting agents will advise landlords to tick a box saying "don't rent my building to foreigners." Idk why everyone gets so shocked when a 98% ethnically homogenous nation that likes it that way does what such a country is going to do.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
lmao, what a dork

"can't have non white people but here are two gods fighting. this is historically accurate game's gonna be full of white dudes names "kromnian M'quito durian"

already see some yoshi p defense force over here

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

It's ignorant, institutionalised colourism. I said this about Genshin Impact and I'll say the same thing here. The population of East Asian countries are almost entirely mono-ethnic, which means there's very few societal consideration for such matters as diversity. Add on to decades of fantasy pop culture that this game is draws upon, reinforcing such stereotypes, and small wonder that we get an answer like this.

But what disappoints me is that the FFXIV playerbase has been telling CBU3 about this problem for years, and they have shown that they've taken this feedback in Endwalker however slightly. It's a step back.