Glabados

Sep 22, 2018
I do think people eventually need to realize that Americans have a very particular view on DEI that is not shared by the rest of the world. Not saying this is good, of course.

KaCo

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
May 22, 2018
Recent trailer just felt even more off with the character diversity to me, and the article just confirmed why.

Really disappointing to see.

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017
This response should be referenced in the eventual OT for this game.

Don't let stupidity like this get forgotten.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
When The Rings of Power and House of the Dragon have lots of racial diversity in the cast of characters, the whole "historical context" excuse kinda gets thrown out the window. It's fantasy. You get to do whatever you want. Just admit you wanted to have an only white cast in your game. You don't have to make up bullshit excuses for it.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
I'm sure white european inspired people built this :

unknown.png

hopefully there's actual diversity there... we'll see, lol

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
Whenever people use the "medieval europe was all white" argument you know they have never read one paragraph of a history book. That is not true on any level whatsover.

Deleted member 511

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't say so. FFXIV (Where he is director) is much better than this.
Uh...I would definitely disagree. There's a long list of issues: the scions are all white as hell, Y'shtola's been getting lighter each expansion, poc fans have been complaining about more diverse hair options for years, the handling of race and diversity in Stormblood wasn't that great, etc. There was an interview like two years ago where Natalie Flores asked Yoshida about diversity in XIV and his answer was terrible there too. It's a trend.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
The hoops creators will jump through to not add any PoCs is insane, yet totally unsurprising at the same time. They should have followed up and asked why they often choose white locations only.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Part of me hopes that Yoshi-P is similar to Sakurai where it's more ignorance than malice. But this interview doesn't help his case.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
I wouldn't say so. FFXIV (Where he is director) is much better than this.
FFXVI is a different game and creative director. He's just producer. While that does have clout, he's not solely responsible for a lot of these decisions.

I think another post here is right, a lot of what "inspired" this game's direction is derivative of media that is fundamentally filtered through western whiteness, I doubt it ever crossed their mind.

Nah, I still think he is quite responsible. He leads CBU3, the studio that makes XIV happen which he directs and produces this game and let's be real outside of Endwalker
(which I will note does do a better job at repping cultures), the representation stuff does leave a lot to be desired in XIV. Can't be selective on where he gets praise and where he is abstained from criticism.

Oct 27, 2017
x2.jpg

Due to the underlying geographical, technological, and geopolitical constraints of this setting, Valisthea was never going to realistically be as diverse as say a modern-day Earth

This sentence is going to live in my head rent-free all the way to the game's release

"We can't change characters' skin or hair -- our engine won't support it and our technical team don't know how to program that!?!"

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
They've openly said they're trying to reach a global audience, this mindset is a direct contradiction to that strategy.

This is also a good example of why we should stop putting individual devs on a pedestal.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, I still think he is quite responsible. He leads CBU3, the studio that makes XIV happen which he directs and produces this game and let's be real outside of Endwalker
(which I will note does do a better job at repping cultures), the representation stuff does leave a lot to be desired in XIV. Can't be selective on where he gets praise and where he is abstained from criticism.

This is correct. Cause even if the decision was made by the Creative Director, Yoshi-P is still the head of CBU3. He's in a position of power to do something. Not doing something is a statement.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
This game is such a huge wasted opportunity. Celebrated team coming off of the most praised MMO of the modern era bringing their own unique perspective to a new single player Final Fantasy and they made a game where you only play as an angry white man in a generic medieval fantasy world made up of a citizenry of white people.

Square Enix's western teams working with them really should have said something, and if they did, Yoshi-P and his team should have listened. Just really, really poor form all around.

Maybe Final Fantasy XVII will have playable women and people of color when it releases next decade, haha...

Riddler

Oct 25, 2017
FF games history with any normal or heroic PoC has been poor to say the least. To overly angry Black man, fetishized "exotic" dark skin rabbit girl to comic relief Afro chocobo black man.

I'm guilty of still buying and enjoying these games but I do wish they would finally add a serious POC crucial to the main story.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017

Again, I think that there IS a difference between saying Yoshida is more responsible for a game where he is director & producer, vs a game where he's just a producer.

I'm not absolving the team of criticism, I just think that this problem extends beyond this one guy to the point of asking "is he a racist" is silly. Like, he has openly expressed some very progressive views on things like LGBTQ issues, I don't think evidence suggests "Yoshida is a racist".

Uh...I would definitely disagree. There's a long list of issues: the scions are all white as hell, Y'shtola's been getting lighter each expansion, poc fans have been complaining about more diverse hair options for years, the handling of race and diversity in Stormblood wasn't that great, etc. There was an interview like two years ago where Natalie Flores asked Yoshida about diversity in XIV and his answer was terrible there too. It's a trend.

While I agree, the handling of some racialized people in FFXIV was bad in Stormblood. I think it's a bit more complex. FFXIV doesn't present race like earth, since race is more typically, dragon people, elves, cat people etc. That's just an opinion though, I am not saying POC fans are wrong. I just think that comparing XIV to XVI is a bit of an apples to oranges situation.

I would also like to see improvements in diversity of character creation. It's hard to pick any darker skin-tone because it looks like characters are dyed white folks, but I think that issue goes deeper than a lack of will or care (ie: it's an engine and technology issue).

Last edited:

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Part of me hopes that Yoshi-P is similar to Sakurai where it's more ignorance than malice. But this interview doesn't help his case.
Feels like at this point with people pointing it out fairly consistently to them, saying it's ignorance is just making an excuse for a generally well liked figure.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
they have a whole ass desert kingdom inexplicably filled with pale white people in this game.

It's a stupid ass response when your game doesn't even adhere to the skin tones found in the biomes you present in your game. Just say you wanted white people and stop talking out your ass.

Oct 27, 2017
Is the criticism leveled at Yoshi-P's response (and the game's lack of diversity), or at the interviewer (IGN)?

Thread title implies it's the interview - not necessarily the responses - that is problematic. Based on the one question copy pasta'd by OP it seems like a thoughtful question.

Perhaps a slight grammatical tweaking of the title is in order, if the subject of criticism is Yoshi-P's answer.

Jack7gamer

Banned
Jul 29, 2022
User Banned (Permanent): Dismissing concerns of representation, account in junior phase
Don't see the problem but reviewers will be going crazy over this in the reviews

Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
I don't get it. Many of these Japanese companies don't have any interest in diversifying representation. Or, when they do, it's a caricature. Clearly we're not a significant enough audience for them to consider during development. Let's just stop buying their games. No more dollars. No more airtime. No more cosplay, ie, free promotion. No more rent free fandom.

Capcom changed Street Fighter because a significant amount of their audience was black and brown. All of the tournaments and YouTube presence reflects that and Ono-San literally sees and interacts with that audience at the events.

I'm never going to understand these pleas for Japanese companies to change when they're clearly falling on deaf ears. Seems that it would be more effective to signal boost American companies making great choices in hopes that those games with those protagonists become financially successful enough to have some international creative influence.

Waiting on, say, Nintendo to add a gender fluid person of color might as well be like waiting on Apple to buy Microsoft.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
they have a whole ass desert kingdom inexplicably filled with pale white people in this game.

Have we actually SEEN enough of that kingdom to say that's the case? Like the game's not out yet, and we have seen literally zero town exploration, so I'm not sure there's value in making that kind of judgment just yet. Once the game's out if we get to run around that city and everybody is white, that shit would be mega-weak though. Just like FFXII all over again.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Again, I think that there IS a difference between saying Yoshida is more responsible for a game where he is director & producer, vs a game where he's just a producer.

I'm not absolving the team of criticism, I just think that this problem extends beyond this one guy to the point of asking "is he a racist" is silly. Like, he has openly expressed some very progressive views on things like LGBTQ issues, I don't think evidence suggests "Yoshida is a racist".

It doesn't absolve him, the head of the whole business unit, of being complicit in casual/institutionalised racism. Like it was with the case of Sakurai, that sucks. It's made even worse with all that the FFXIV playerbase has been giving them in feedback for years, and SE themselves stating that they want to focus on being a global-looking company. There's a lot of groundwork for them to cover if so.

Keiriks

Omicron Persei 8 Logic
Aug 19, 2021
Reykjavík, Iceland
If only they weren't so constrained by cultural accuracy to the setting that they made up. Maybe they'll have invented Black people by the time of XVI-2.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I feel like Jrpg devs in general has a really really stereotypical idea of medieval europe so games meant to be set in an actual medieval fantasy always suffer from this bs. But it's a lot worse with FFXVI since it is meant to cater to the west playerbase, and they are kind of not aware how racist (In a more structural way tbh) they are being. They are probably completely clueless on how this won't roll well in the west.

Most anime and related media have almost exclusively characters that are or are meant to be japanese, which makes sense on how they aim for their local market. As for anything else, i feel like they don't really care about researching stuff, and the reference they have for black people doesn't get deeper than hollywood stereotypes like the badass Mr T like dude or the butt of the jokes Eddie Murphy type. Hard to blame them though, if you don't really have real life reference of people other than your family or coworkers.

Yoshi-P probably doesn't even understand why he's being wrong here.

Aside that, it's incredible how FF games feels progressively more juvenile the more adult they want them to be. FFIX is still probably the most actual mature game in the series despite the fairy tale vibes, while FFXVI looks like something that an edgy 14 years old would think of.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
I too remember when Bahamut and Shiva had their huge fight in my history books and it was at least 1,000 years before black people actually came to planet earth.

What a dumb answer and reasoning.

Oct 27, 2017
This response should be referenced in the eventual OT for this game.

Don't let stupidity like this get forgotten.

Yeah, agreed.

What get me in this quote is the "as diverse as modern day earth". Like what ? Earth as always been diverse man, what are you talking about lol

Agreed. It's basically this:

Whenever people use the "medieval europe was all white" argument you know they have never read one paragraph of a history book. That is not true on any level whatsover.

And you don't even need to read books on it. These days there's audiobooks or plenty of content you can watch/listen to on YouTube.

I don't even really think this excuse tracks any more. As Spork4000 says above, they have desert regions full of white people. You don't need to read history books to have a basic understanding of this.