sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm mindblown by all the people saying "it's not clear" in here, really. It's clear as day with that text explaining what you're going to play when you select that menu. How can you be confused? Unless you're just too lazy to read, I guess....??

Roger Ebert, a film critic, was awarded Pulitzer, an award for journalistic achievement. How come he was awarded the most prestigious journalistic award in the planet if, as you say, journalism and reviews/criticism are two inherently different things and incompatible with one another?

They also award them to cartoonists under the same heading, do you consider political (heck, don't even have to be political cartoons) cartoonists journalists?

Technika

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 23, 2018
Oh Daemon...

I will still watch Gamescoop, love the show and what you do. But boy will the next episode interesting...

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this is definitely partly Capcom's fault, many people will miss this. New game 2nd run sounds like New game+ to me; same game but unlocks carry over.
nah
VUFIqHA.jpg

Catshade

Oct 26, 2017
I agree that the label isn't very informative and can be misleading. But it's precisely a journalist/reviewer's job to enlighten us gamers on this matter, not the other way around.

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
Chicago, IL
I'm mindblown by all the people saying "it's not clear" in here, really. It's clear as day with that text explaining what you're going to play when you select that menu. How can you be confused? Unless you're just too lazy to read, I guess....??

Roger Ebert, a film critic, was awarded Pulitzer, an award for journalistic achievement. How come he was awarded the most prestigious journalistic award in the planet if, as you say, journalism and reviews/criticism are two inherently different things and incompatible with one another?

Journalistic criticism. Because Ebert writes for a newspaper.
Honestly, I think if you write for a site like IGN, it should be journalistic. A review published on a popular media is foremost intended to be informative to general consumers first.

raygcon

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
No deny this guy fucked up and didn't even try to own it. Shame.

But to be fair. Even with all that description and stuff, the naming and the menu placement can be confusing. I don't really think majority of people will even read it. This is miss universe 2017 ( or some year ) situation all over again lol. Why don't Capcom just name it A/B scenario again even if it is not fully implemented.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The funniest is not only him missing it, but all those who attack him without having any idea of the *cough* "content" he missed.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
They also award them to cartoonists under the same heading, do you consider political (heck, don't even have to be political cartoons) cartoonists journalists?

I just don't think criticism is a concept that is inherently incompatible with journalism, which was the subject that I think was being discussed. A movie critic, or games critic, *can* be considered a journalistic endeavor, in my view.

And sure, there have been conversations around whether political cartoonists are journalists or not, it's not like even people on that field have a 100% consensus about rejecting them as capital J Journalist.

The ongoing discussion in here on the meaning of journalism vs. reviews vs. criticism has been really boring.

Woops, sorry to spoil your day.

Radamammuth

Dec 8, 2017
Now it's lazy devs and "engrish" fault. Nice, stay classy people.
The evidence is there, it's pretty clear honestly. And you know it's his job to check at the very least all options in a game.

In his defense I bet he did, he just didn't finish the game to see those screens. Honest mistake.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Were you asleep or something during the very recent Filip Miucin debacle?

Could you explain to me how one person being a plagiarist has anything to do with IGN having a "long history of inaccuracies"?

Because I sure wasn't considering Miucin as something that could be relevant to that statement.

OP
OP
Datajoy

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
I find myself caring less and less about outlets like IGN anyway. These days I put much more weight on reviews and opinions of more singular voices, like Arrekz, SkillUp, AngryJoe, the Gamexplain guys etc. If Arrekz says a shooter has a rewarding loot grind, or Andre from GX says a platformer has tight controls, I know I can trust those opinions based on my multiple years of following their individual content and tastes. IGN just seems like a bland corporate monolith.

Striferser

Oct 28, 2017
Reviewer probably really tired when he review it. But damn, 8.8 even when the reviewer missed the final? Game must be really good

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Gaming reviews are often a joke. The very fact that someone can somehow objectively decide whether a game is worth 8.7 rather than 8.8 speaks for itself.

SuperYlvis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So the reviewer is right in that the two storylines are somewhat similar, having the same areas and bosses. What are these scenarios though? Care to explain?

Oct 25, 2017
Did IGN do the "we are not gonna have a regular staff and instead hire a bunch of freelancers" thing a couple of years ago or was that another site? Cause if they were that, it doesn't seem to work that well. I might just be making that up tho

OP
OP
Datajoy

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
Did IGN do the "we are not gonna have a regular staff and instead hire a bunch of freelancers" thing a couple of years ago or was that another site? Cause if they were that, it doesn't seem to work that well. I might just be making that up tho
The entire site is actually just one person named Darrell Ign, and a bunch of unpaid interns.

Majora85

Nov 21, 2017
The sneering reactions are honestly worse than the mistake. As someone who didn't play the original Resident Evil 2, none of the screenshots people have posted makes it entirely clear that a unique storyline has been unlocked rather a remix a la Master Quest in Ocarina of Time.

Even the way it's structured sounds absurd. I saw multiple posts in another thread explaining that you should play Clare A then Leon B then Leon A then Clare B and my first though was how anyone could be expected to know that without being told. I would have expected Clare A and Leon A to be quite different like the two campaigns were in REMake.

I think people are letting their prior knowledge of the original game blind them to how opaque this information is conveyed to a newcomer, honestly. And how confusingly it is structured in the first place.

okcoolmax

Jan 21, 2019
The four runs you have to do to see an alernate story/ending are almost identitcal regarding boss and monsters placement between Claire/Leon, differences are a part of the arsenal, the starting point that changes a bit the path, cinematics, and some infilitration/hacking minigames. One (A) run should take six hour for an average/experienced player on normal. What can confused new players is that you alternate between heroes like if nothing has happened previously in the precinct (the other char is only figured with abstract narrative tricks).
That sounds pretty cool, I might actually buy it at release.

NekoNeko

Coward
Oct 26, 2017
after reading the thread i still have no idea what exactly happened. so you can play the same story with both characters but there is an entire second half of story to play?

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
I LOVE gamescoop and he is such a nice guy but at least acknowledging it would be ideal because it rarely happens.
It's weird because I don't even think the initial slip up was all that bad. It was the blocking and banning of people afterward that kinda dug the grave if you will.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

reviews. and. criticism. are. two. different. things.

he. is. not. a. film. reviewer. he. is. a. film. critic.

You. do. not. understand. at. all.

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
The guy made a mistake, it was noticed and rectified. What's the big deal? By all accounts the reviewer is usually decent.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
The sneering reactions are honestly worse than the mistake. As someone who didn't play the original Resident Evil 2, none of the screenshots people have posted makes it entirely clear that a unique storyline has been unlocked rather a remix a la Master Quest in Ocarina of Time.
I didn't play the original either, but the screenshot that says "The ending and certain parts of the game are different in 2nd Run scenarios" seems pretty damn explicit.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Oh praise the lord that they were able to correct this mistake. A whole 0.2 points! How could the developers have lived with themselves if the score hadn't increased from 8.8 to 9?

All I'm saying is, this was a close call. IGN saved a lot of careers today.