Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Lmao!!!!!!!!
The original score being that high for half a game, the .2 increase afterwards, the fact this reviewer didn't know anything about it all, just everything around this is absolutely hilarious. It's also absolutely sad that ign hires people who don't seem to be capable of doing the job correctly time and time again. What the hell man.

Shifty1897

Oct 28, 2017
Daemon's a good guy. He just messed up pretty bad this time. It happens. If you don't mess up at work every now and then you have an easy job.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Seems to me , despite the glaring error , that CAPCOM could have clearly labelled this better than New Game (2nd run) ....

Maybe chapters / perspectives ? I dunno.....still can't wait to play :)

VUFIqHA.jpg

Assuming the people over at IGN can read of course.

Daemon's a good guy. He just messed up pretty bad this time. It happens. If you don't mess up at work every now and then you have an easy job.

True but where is the editor? Why is no one checking? Did everyone over at IGN missed this as well?

Wyze

Nov 15, 2018
I wonder where they get these people. I mean wasnt he around when the original released? The whole thing with Leon A route giving you Claire B campaing and vice-versa.

Just seems like a very weird mistake to make for someone that makes a living by reviewing and playing games.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017

You're giving the guy far too much credit and discrediting people who are great at their jobs regardless of difficulty.

soulzonik

Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
I have reviewed the game as well. In the end of Leon A, for example, you have the message that people posted here that the 2nd Run is now available. But besides all that, the story ends with a teaser. I cannot say this without spoiling the game. But you see a teaser for something and the story didn't end. It is pretty obvious what it is if you played the original or at least did your research.

But there is something else that you can see that we have two different campaings.

Part of my review (it is in portuguese):

"Explaining the difference between campaigns without spoiler: if you start with Leon, sooner or later you will arrive at the police station and play what you saw in the 1-Shot Demo. That is, as soon as he enters the police station, Leon searches on the computer for survivors. Later, Leon finds Claire in the courtyard of the police station. If you start the game with Claire, the role will be changed. Claire is the one who will arrive at the police station and check the monitor for her brother Chris, but will eventually see the same thing as Leon (the police officer asking for help). On the second run, if you have finished with Leon first, you will start playing with Claire in the courtyard of the police station - which is where Leon found her."

So, if you at least start playing the 2nd run, you will see that the beginning is different. Also, you are going to see as well that the puzzles are different etc. It is not something so hidden that can be confusing. You only have to start the 2nd Run to see that they are different things.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that's the part that made me scratch my head. Both for giving it an arbitrary 8.8 instead of a 9 to begin with and a whole .2 points for an entire half of missed gameplay smh

Lmao!!!!!!!!
The original score being that high for half a game, the .2 increase afterwards, the fact this reviewer didn't know anything about it all, just everything around this is absolutely hilarious. It's also absolutely sad that ign hires people who don't seem to be capable of doing the job correctly time and time again. What the hell man.

It isn't half the game. A poster on this very page who has finished Claire's second run even talks about how little difference there is between first and second runs.

I wonder where they get these people. I mean wasnt he around when the original released? The whole thing with Leon A route giving you Claire B campaing and vice-versa.

Just seems like a very weird mistake to make for someone that makes a living by reviewing and playing games.

Someone who makes a living reviewing video games probably does not remember the details of every game they've played, especially ones from twenty years ago.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Imagine if they gave it a 6 out of 10 for it. That could be damaging. Godhand and Alien Isolation deserved better.

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, I have a bad habit if skipping vital messages from spamming X or A... But... shouldn't this stuff be documented in the review guide sent by capcom?

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
It's okay to remind people how shit IGN is.

This is to prevent people from thinking that it's all just a tiny mistake and IGN is much better than this, they are not.

IGN then and IGN now are inherently different given the passage of time. The IGN reviewers who reviewed those 2 games are different people to begin with.

Stop holding weird edgy grudges for over a decade because someone didn't like a game you liked.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
It's funny and in the grand scheme of things not really a big deal since the overall score is already high up with many other reviewers putting out great impressions.

It's just an unfortunate that it adds to a long line of IGN hiccups and further cementing the narrative that reviewers don't know how to play video games.

Of course, if shit like this happen to DMC5 I might not be so chill about it.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
It notes that "the ending and certain parts" of the game are different.

What parts? Why would I think these would be substantial changes? They call it "new game (2nd run)," I'm thinking typical NG+ with different enemy placement and a different ending cutscene. Nothing about that wording makes me think "I need to play that." It sounds like filler content to make a single player game seem longer.
But if you *were* to play the game a second time, you would choose that, because it is the NG+ (and you recognized that it at least changes the ending). That's not what the IGN reviewer did, he supposedly saw that option, and decided "Eh, I'll just choose normal New Game and choose the other character".

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Lol this is why you read shit in games and actually try to pay attention. Yes, even you reviewers.

Wait I thought reviewers are supposed to just hit New Game and then give it a random score without even finishing the story?

They are not paid to review what the game has to offer or give any informative insights, they are paid to give numbers based on their mood, that's it.

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
Okay, are people really not connecting the dots here? He obviously didn't finish his first play through.

Yeeeeeeah. few people here are thinking the same thing. That's really the only way I see this mistake happening. played a bit of leon then restarted as claire, but it really is nothing but conjecture and speculation. The reason why I think this too is because a big prompt shows up stating there's new stuff in the new run and a new menu option appears on the main menu. Confusing as the title of the 2nd run is, how exactly do you miss it...but eh, I guess anything can happen.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
It isn't half the game. A poster on this very page who has finished Claire's second run even talks about how little difference there is between first and second runs.

It's not exactly half, you're right, however it is a significant portion of the entire Resident Evil 2 experience.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
It's really weird that you're thinking of ways you want IGN reviewers to screw up and I feel like you should reflect on why that is.
Seems you really just picked a side huh. Its a concern based on previous IGN reviews like the very recent Ace combat 7 review where they played with the auto-combo equivalent which is barely playing the game they are just not reliable and affect the industry way too much.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
lol...I predicted on how they'll screw up, not wishing them to. No worries, I'll blame the developers instead to protect IGN honor.

I mean if you want to get yourself all worked up and Big Mad about something they haven't actually done, then by all means live your truth. It's super weird though!

Seems you really just picked a side huh. Its a concern based on previous IGN reviews like the very recent Ace combat 7 review where they played with the auto-combo equivalent which is barely playing the game they are just not reliable and affect the industry way too much.

Yeah, it's pretty messed up for them to play the game using a feature the developers deliberately implemented. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
If you wanna talk about how they effect the industry you should probably focus on how dev companies put waaaaaay too much emphasis on arbitrary number scores.

It's not exactly half, you're right, however it is a significant portion of the entire Resident Evil 2 experience.

It doesn't seem to be the case here because it sounds like RE219 doesn't incorporate specific zapping mechanics and Mr X is in the A paths. Which sounds like a crying shame, because if anything I would have wanted that kind of stuff to be expanded upon.

Nakenorm

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The dude made a mistake and a pretty easy one to make it seems like, but sure, time for "gamers rise up!"

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017

What!? I didn't know that happened this week as well. This Re2 review and that Ace Combat review are just as suspect imo. I honestly don't read reviews off major sites anymore but I know lots of people still do. That's all unacceptable.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
I mean if you want to get yourself all worked up and Big Mad about something they haven't actually done, then by all means live your truth. It's super weird though!
Me: "based on IGN's previous blunder, here's how I think they can mess up".
Me according to you: "man I can't wait for KH3 and DMC5 screw ups lololololol".

Radamammuth

Dec 8, 2017
So he presumably didn't finished the first run, gets called out and pretends he now played the second run in a couple of hrs and adds .2. Seems totally legit.

Not an easy mistake to make, thats exactly the point. Plus the weird response to all of it.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
The dude made a mistake and a pretty easy one to make it seems like, but sure, time for "gamers rise up!"
It's a pretty egregious mistake in a long line of review mistakes under the same umbrella. Review scores effect many facets of this industry, which all boil down to money. It's not an unimportant thing to just brush aside when it's been a continuous issue.

okcoolmax

Jan 21, 2019
The 98 version is similar to but less than Nier Automata. Automata's B Path recontextualizes a lot and gives you a completely different method of interacting with the game, but not so much here, but there's enough that it's a different experience.

(It's worth noting that the 2019 version incorporates the B path's biggest addition into the base campaigns...)
Thank you! As long as it comes close to the experience you have on your 2nd Nier playthrough I'm going to be pleased.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, I have a bad habit if skipping vital messages from spamming X or A... But... shouldn't this stuff be documented in the review guide sent by capcom?
You think someone who skips through stuff like this will take the time to actually read the review guide?

Wait I thought reviewers are supposed to just hit New Game and then give it a random score without even finishing the story?

They are not paid to review what the game has to offer or give any informative insights, they are paid to give numbers based on their mood, that's it.

Yeah, Its a really bad look. Honestly, this is why I dont pay much attention to review scores anymore. The majority of people literally dont read anything/pay attention to anything in games so it's no surprise it happens with reviewers as well. Couple that with the need to play a game and skip to the next big thing quickly and you end up with mistakes like this and non-critical analysis of games ala RDR2.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Reviewers have been doing this shit since forever. I remember in the PS2 era reviews for 25-40 hours RPGs done in the first 4 or 5 and there we go. If you're not going to finish the game then don't bother to review it.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
It doesn't seem to be the case here because it sounds like RE219 doesn't incorporate specific zapping mechanics and Mr X is in the A paths. Which sounds like a crying shame, because if anything I would have wanted that kind of stuff to be expanded upon.

I haven't played the new one myself so I'm just going on my experience with the original, but if so that is a shame.

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017
The thing is I know reviewers talk when they realize they may not be understanding something. It's crazy that you don't DM your friend who is also reviewing the game and go, "this seems weird... Is this right? "

(and I believe they are capable of doing this without influencing each other)

Wyze

Nov 15, 2018
Someone who makes a living reviewing video games probably does not remember the details of every game they've played, especially ones from twenty years ago.
I'd agree if it was some obscure game from 20 years ago, but c'mon it's Resident Evil 2. One of the most popular games of the PS1 era.