• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
There are other people in this thread saying that there are no A/B scenarios in this game though. He claims the part he missed also has little new content.

I was watching Skill Up's 100% spoiler free review and he states the A and B scenarios differ vastly, and used Nier Automata as an example where RE2 makes more significant changes the second time around opposed to Nier's multiple playthroughs (between 2B and 9S). He does say that when you replay the game for the 3rd and 4th time then there aren't that many changes. So I'm confused by the whole thing. To me it does sound like the A and B scenario differ vastly from each other.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the game completion screen says what a second run is and notes that there are changes to the story.
It notes that "the ending and certain parts" of the game are different.

What parts? Why would I think these would be substantial changes? They call it "new game (2nd run)," I'm thinking typical NG+ with different enemy placement and a different ending cutscene. Nothing about that wording makes me think "I need to play that." It sounds like filler content to make a single player game seem longer.

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, same. Why did they call it "new game (2nd run)" if it's supposed to be an entirely different thing?

I would've skipped right past it as well if I didn't know any better. What a stupid way to word something.

"The ending and certain parts of the game" being different sounds like filler content that I typically ignore.

Yeah couldn't agree more. I'd totally just press A while checking my phone or something.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Well apparently this is what you see when you finish your first run:

VUFIqHA.jpg

I guess he missed that as well?
yeah the game really tells you right in your face and the reviewer missed it?

Amauri14

Oct 27, 2017
Danbury, CT, USA
Pathetic. And are they really just going to bump it two decimals and call it a day without even finishing the other half? I'm not saying that it doesn't deserve a nine, but I expect the reviewer to at least finish the whole campaign of the game before giving it a score.

Conan

Oct 25, 2017
I was watching Skill Up's 100% spoiler free review and he states the A and B scenarios differ vastly, and used Nier Automata as an example where RE2 makes more significant changes the second time around opposed to Nier's multiple playthroughs (between 2B and 9S). He does say that when you replay the game for the 3rd and 4th time then there aren't that many changes. So I'm confused by the whole thing. To me it does sound like the A and B scenario differ vastly from each other.
If there is that big of a difference I wonder why he would still claim "there is very little new in it". If he is just doing that to downplay the mistake and continuing to misinform people that is pretty disgraceful.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well apparently this is what you see when you finish your first run:

VUFIqHA.jpg

I guess he missed that as well?

Is this pre or post credits? And does it show show if you skip the credits? Either way, seems like he either didn't finish it or was rushing and skipping screens or something at the end.

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
Crazy how IGN missed on this one. Lets keep a close eye for how they handle KH3 & DMC5.

okcoolmax

Jan 21, 2019
I've never played the game, are there any major differences between the two playthoughs or is it more like Nier Automata where you are 90% on the same path and just get different Story insights?

Manu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
It notes that "the ending and certain parts" of the game are different.

What parts? Why would I think these would be substantial changes? They call it "new game (2nd run)," I'm thinking typical NG+ with different enemy placement and a different ending cutscene. Nothing about that wording makes me think "I need to play that." It sounds like filler content to make a single player game seem longer.
Yeah couldn't agree more. I'd totally just press A while checking my phone or something.

That's on you, not the game.

The original game just took you to a save screen asking you whether you wanted to save, and selecting "yes" created a savefile with the other character's name that said "B"

AND YET PEOPLE 20 YEARS AGO DIDN'T HAVE A PROBLEM FIGURING OUT WHAT IT DID

Velikost

Oct 28, 2017
To be fair, these guys probably never thought their site would make it past the early 2000's; I definitely didn't.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how useful metacritic would have been in this case, because the problem is in the text, granted metacritic can provide you a link to other reviews to read but no one goes to metacritic to read words.

I do, I will usually read one of the more positive and one thats not so positive from the site

Magyscar

Oct 25, 2017
Is this pre or post credits? And does it show show if you skip the credits? Either way, seems like he either didn't finish it or was rushing and skipping screens or something at the end.

Couldn't tell you but I would assume it would be after the credits and the results screen. Typically in other RE games skipping credits wouldn't skip this stuff.

ShinNL

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Okay, are people really not connecting the dots here? He obviously didn't finish his first play through.

Ste

Banned
Jun 8, 2018
England
I think daemon Hatfield is a great guy and this very easy to do mistake has absolutely no bearing on my opinion on either him or ign. I definitely had no idea that 2nd run or whatever capcom have called it is the scenario swap and if it wasn't for him messing up id of had to read about it by searching for it on here.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Okay, are people really not connecting the dots here? He obviously didn't finish his first play through.

We have no evidence but I agree that's very likely the case.

That's on you, not the game.

The original game just took you to a save screen asking you whether you wanted to save, and selecting "yes" created a savefile with the other character's name that said "B"

AND YET PEOPLE 20 YEARS AGO DIDN'T HAVE A PROBLEM FIGURING OUT WHAT IT DID

This, people need to stop defending stupidity.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
I've never played the game, are there any major differences between the two playthoughs or is it more like Nier Automata where you are 90% on the same path and just get different Story insights?

The 98 version is similar to but less than Nier Automata. Automata's B Path recontextualizes a lot and gives you a completely different method of interacting with the game, but not so much here, but there's enough that it's a different experience.

(It's worth noting that the 2019 version incorporates the B path's biggest addition into the base campaigns...)

Last edited:

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
If there is that big of a difference I wonder why he would still claim "there is very little new in it". If he is just doing that to downplay the mistake and continuing to misinform people that is pretty disgraceful.

Which is exaclty what's confusing to me. Hell even in the original, the story changes alone made a big difference...so I don't know. Don't wanna add any more fuel to the flame but it just seems weird.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not if you're people trying to defend IGN and make it all seem like it's just a little mistake.

But it is just a mistake. It isn't about defending IGN either, it's about clarifying that everyone makes mistakes, and what matters is how fast you correct them, which IGN did, almost immediately.

Beck

Oct 27, 2017
So I haven't played 2nd Run for Leon, but i've done the standard campaign for Leon and Claire, along with Claire 2nd Run.

Outside of some ammo differences (as you're given another handgun right away) and an extra fight at the end, Claire 2nd Run is essentially the same game after the first hour as her regular campaign. The two main differences in the first hour are:

You don't meet Marvin and Mr. X is stalking you as you're collecting the medallions.

Outside of that, her campaign is the same as her regular campaign, which deviates from Leon's regular campaign at the Parking Garage (although a lot of the areas are very similar) and becomes very close to the same in the last area (there are changes, but you're doing the same puzzle solving as Leon).

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Why do you assume that I did not make a reply in good faith? I was commenting on how I must have missed the class where journalism and reviews are in the same broad definition of games journalism, because they aren't. You then told me that I was being too formal(?)

Don't come to this forum to make a point, have it disputed, and then play the "lets discuss your tone" game. Reviews aren't journalistic. Many commenters believe that it is. How would I know? Well it just so happens I'm someone who writes the news AND reviews games and I read a lot of comments about it, so saying people don't get it confused is disingenuous.

Take the L and move on.
"Take the L because I corrected you from a defensive position on the terrain of setting a definition that no one made and act like I was trying to teach you something."

Ok, guy.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
But it is just a mistake. It isn't about defending IGN either, it's about clarifying that everyone makes mistakes, and what matters is how fast you correct them, which IGN did, almost immediately.

My problem is that they didn't even bother actually playing the B route they missed to correct the old scores.

They literally just go: ''Oops I guess we missed that, how about we change it to a 9 now? Is that cool?''

What if the B route content (lots of new content here too) made him like the game even more? Perhaps it could have got a 9.5/10, they didn't even bother giving it another shot, they literally didn't bother with their mistakes except changing the numbers slightly based on literally nothing.

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
So I haven't played 2nd Run for Leon, but i've done the standard campaign for Leon and Claire, along with Claire 2nd Run.

Outside of some ammo differences (as you're given another handgun right away) and an extra fight at the end, Claire 2nd Run is essentially the same game after the first hour as her regular campaign. The two main differences in the first hour are:

You don't meet Marvin and Mr. X is stalking you as you're collecting the medallions.

Outside of that, her campaign is the same as her regular campaign, which deviates from Leon's regular campaign at the Parking Garage (although a lot of the areas are very similar) and becomes very close to the same in the last area (there are changes, but you're doing the same puzzle solving as Leon).

That sounds like Resident Evil 2 alright

Monster Zero

Nov 5, 2017
Southern California

Is the handgun the only new weapon you got in the 2nd run? Was Claire's 2nd run ending different from her 1st run?

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
I'm so confused about the same things Daemon is confused about and after a few texts with my friend who got the game early and reading this entire thread, I'm still confused.

It seems that Daemon is right now that even if you do the second proper play through it's the same game with a different story, slightly different puzzles and a different ending?

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
Which is exaclty what's confusing to me. Hell even in the original, the story changes alone made a big difference...so I don't know. Don't wanna add any more fuel to the flame but it just seems weird.

Yeah, without seeing the content myself its impossible to say. However, reading other impressions around here and reddit it sounds like the combination of playing the other campaign with the 2nd run changes makes the whole thing feel very different. So if you screwed up and played two 1st run campaigns like this reviewer did then maybe it wouldn't feel as fresh.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Love to see people whining about the God Hand review in 2019.

Just let it go already. It has nothing to do with this.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My problem is that they didn't even bother actually playing the B route they missed to correct the old scores.

They literally just go: ''Oops I guess we missed that, how about we change it to a 9 now? Is that cool?''

What if the B route content (lots of new content here too) made him like the game even more? Perhaps it could have got a 9.5/10, they didn't even bother giving it another shot, they literally didn't bother with their mistakes except changing the numbers slightly based on literally nothing.

Except none of what you said is true. From the review.

"Having now played Leon's 2nd Game, I'm still disappointed that there's only marginally more new things to see and do there."

It just sounds like the second run doesn't actually add that much new content. A few people in here including another journalist have confirmed the same.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so confused about the same things Daemon is confused about and after a few texts with my friend who got the game early and reading this entire thread, I'm still confused.

It seems that Daemon is right now that even if you do the second proper play through it's the same game with a different story, slightly different puzzles and a different ending?

That would seem to be the case, yes.

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, without seeing the content myself its impossible to say. However, reading other impressions around here and reddit it sounds like the combination of playing the other campaign with the 2nd run changes makes the whole thing feel very different. So if you screwed up and played two 1st run campaigns like this reviewer did then maybe it wouldn't feel as fresh.

Yup! That's the impression I'm getting. Playing Leon A and Claire A won't give the same feeling....It's just weird as to how that happened. I know the wording on UI is confusing sure, but there's a whole other option for a "new" run.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
DMC5 with that auto-combo thing is already an issue with the demo build lol.

For KH3, I'm guessing keyblade swapping will be important to execute combos and IGN will misses it.

It's really weird that you're thinking of ways you want IGN reviewers to screw up and I feel like you should reflect on why that is.

Smelck

Oct 27, 2017
Rotorua, NZ
Seems to me , despite the glaring error , that CAPCOM could have clearly labelled this better than New Game (2nd run) ....

Maybe chapters / perspectives ? I dunno.....still can't wait to play :)