Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
Should IGN have better due diligence? Sure, but it's a company run by humans, and humans make mistakes. Hell journalists writing for news outlets about damming stuff that can have fundamental impacts to geopolitics also make mistakes, let alone writers giving subjective opinions about fucking video games. Point is, mistakes happen, and it's stupid to hold their feet to the fire as if they'd done something far more contentious or evil.

How are they a problem to the industry? They are by far the most popular video game outlet, and that by in large means a tremendous number of people enjoy their content, formatting, design etc. Simply put you don't become that popular, or even sustain that popularity unless you offer quality content that people enjoy or want.

And your second point is just beyond immature lol. Who even cares about due dillegence, other people's honest mistakes justify our own. Right? He did it I can do it. Eye for an eye and all that.

I believe the OP has asked for the mods to correct the thread anyway, so like the IGN review titbit, that too will likely be corrected.
I agree that humans make mistakes but I also think that criticizing these mistakes is justified unless it goes into harassment so I get if you think this thread is too much but constructive criticism is necessary. Also IGN is consistently making mistakes so its not like its the first. And the problem to the industry that you dont seem to understand is that people work for years on these games and at the end of the day the most important aspect of the coverage of said game is a random number that appears on metacritic so doing some research is the least you can do for these people.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
While I think it's an understandable mistake to make by an individual reviewer; it is still an embarrassing one to make from such a big media outlet as a whole.

Yeah, I would equate "2nd run" with "New Game Plus" but that's just me. Of course it also does say what the difference is on the bottom but they could have definitely named it to something clearer.

Something like New Game [Alternate Scenario] is crystal clear.

I applaud IGN for always owning up to their mistakes but yeah, it's still embarrassing.

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
It's not. The idea that someone who hasn't played RE2 before, and going in knowing what to expect, would know what to do with that is a big stretch.

I've never played RE2 before and I'm confused too.

So for example do you play Run 1: Claire A, Leon B. Finishing the game unlocks Run 2: Leon A, Claire B?

So what did the reviewer do in this instance? Never play Run 2? Or only somehow play Claire A and Leon A?

fersnake

Nov 17, 2017
Guatemala
lol, well maybe with something like this ppl with bad habits not reading instructions need this xD

8f4e485f2baa36d03fcca55ab8b365e3.png

Conan

Oct 25, 2017
The fact this "reviewer" apparently didn't know there's an A/B scenarios show that he really isn't very knowledgeable about the things he reviews. I never played RE2 and I know there's an A/B scenario, since years ...
There are other people in this thread saying that there are no A/B scenarios in this game though. He claims the part he missed also has little new content.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017

So for example do you play Run 1: Claire A, Leon B. Finishing the game unlocks Run 2: Leon A, Claire B?

So what did the reviewer do in this instance? Never play Run 2? Or only somehow play Claire A and Leon A?
the latter

[Sigma]

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Whether its half or 1/4. He's a reviewer and if he didn't play it and reviewed it, that's a problem. Using the "how much" argument here is deflecting. Having said that, they corrected it at the end of the day and im not into blasting him over it. Glad I don't do twitter where people can blow up my **** when I say something someone may not like or make a mistake.sheesh

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017

It would seem they played Claire A and Leon A, while New Game Second Run option is what lets you do the B sides.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Is it though? Half of the game?

Is it though? 0.2% of the game?

Whether its half or 1/4. He's a reviewer and if he didn't play it and reviewed it, that's a problem. Using the "how much" argument here is deflecting. Having said that, they corrected it at the end of the day and im not into blasting him over it. Glad I don't do twitter where people can blow up my shit when I say something someone may not like or make a mistake.sheesh

This.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, the reviewer just played throught the normal game twice, with both characters.

Instead of New Game: 2nd Run, which means absolutely nothing to anyone, they should have called it "Part B: Claire's Story" (or Leon's Story, depending on how you started). That at least sounds like new content. It highlights a new character, and makes it crystal clear it's the continuation from what you did.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
So the original review was after the reviewer played Leon A and Claire A, right?

either they didn't see the option for the 2nd Run (unlikely?) or just assumed since the two runs they did were so similar that there was no point in playing the 2nd Run mode.

Seems like they really should have asked Capcom what the mode consisted of instead of just assuming.

I doubt many reviewers play through all the modes and all the paths of games... there simply would not be enough time. I guess I think it should be on them to know what those other paths consist of and how much game content is contained before deciding to just skip them.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017

Playing A scenario unlock the other character B scenario.

The reviewer instead played A scenario twice (both character) and then complained it's essentially the same. Basically he never finished the game or saw the ending.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This really shows how pathetic IGNs scoring is an entire half of the game was missed and when it was played the difference was .2 of a point lmao.

To be fair, the first half contains all the technical aspects like graphics, control, sound and art design, as well as gameplay, level design, mechanics, etc.

If you take any shortish game like Quantum Break, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, or Life is Strange, and make it 6-10 hours longer how much "better" would it really make the game in terms of its score?

Monster Zero

Nov 5, 2017
Southern California

Finish Claire/Leon 1st Run unlocks the opposing characters 2nd run. The 2nd run or the "B" side as it was called in the original is the one that gives you the final boss fight and true ending.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
IGN reviews have been sucking a lot lately. You guys should check out the Ace Combat 7 review. The reviewer was complaining about the things that made Ace Combat so special. The reviewer didn't get the game at all nor he actually invested in the game. They should hire better more honest reviewers who are actually passionate about these games. They arte fucking getting paid to write reviews but that's too hard for IGN reviewers. It will seem that I am bashing IGN, but they have been consistently dropping the ball here.

Magyscar

Oct 25, 2017
Well apparently this is what you see when you finish your first run:

VUFIqHA.jpg

I guess he missed that as well?

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
If you take any shortish game like Quantum Break, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, or Life is Strange, and make it 6-10 hours longer how much "better" would it really make the game in terms of its score?
I would've rated Life is Strange lower if I only judge the game as a whole based only on its first 2 episodes. Episode 3-5 was what elevated the game.

McNagah

Oct 25, 2017
Why is the reviewer raising his score for missing half of the game by 0.2 points? That's not really a reliable source for a review to be published in such a fashion.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I still don't see how even if it was confusing him blocking people for pointing it out is acceptable

Also I want to know did he actually play the B side of the game or just tack on a higher score to satisfy people?

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Haha, he blocked me on twitter for commenting on his explanation. Hilarious.

rocket

Oct 27, 2017
The UI wording is just bad, I am not sure if these is due to bad translation or something. The UI can simply said [2nd Scenario] and they wouldn't even need to put a separate description down below.

Conan

Oct 25, 2017
Why is the reviewer raising his score for missing half of the game by 0.2 points? That's not really a reliable source for a review to be published in such a fashion.
There are probably a few reasons but it doesn't seem clear exactly how much content it is. According to him it is very similar.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

VUFIqHA.jpg

Ok he has no fucking excuse, this is completely obvious. Pretty obvious he rushed the review out while barely paying attention. Also this should be added to the OP before people keep saying how confusing the title screen is alone

Magyscar

Oct 25, 2017
Indeed that is what the game says once you beat it, a reviewer has confirmed it with me.

Thanks. I only pointed it out because people seem really hung on that main menu text and saying Capcom didn't make it clear enough. Not really into dogpiling the reviewer, I just don't really get how you miss that.

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going completely blind.

Someone please quote me so I can keep dodging posts :

How does that work ? You pick one character first and beat the game then the point of view of the second character happens ?

Does that mean there are 4 paths ? Leon A Claire B, Claire A Leon B ? Kind of like the original ? I thought they said they wouldn't do that and just have one full story for each character ?

Thanks.

My understanding is that there is a Leon Campaign and there is a Claire Campaign, which are mostly the same but distinguished in some key ways. Then there is a "2nd run" that is those same campaigns with a few extra bits and a true boss/ending.

It seems you don't even have to play as the other character... you could do a Claire run then follow up with a 2nd run for Claire if you want. Though picking the opposite character means you're getting the unique parts of their campaign combined with the "2nd run" content.. which would make it feel a bit fresher.

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why do you assume that I did not make a reply in good faith? I was commenting on how I must have missed the class where journalism and reviews are in the same broad definition of games journalism, because they aren't. You then told me that I was being too formal(?)

Don't come to this forum to make a point, have it disputed, and then play the "lets discuss your tone" game. Reviews aren't journalistic. Many commenters believe that it is. How would I know? Well it just so happens I'm someone who writes the news AND reviews games and I read a lot of comments about it, so saying people don't get it confused is disingenuous.

Take the L and move on.

Reviews are a part of journalistic criticism and have been forever.

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Yeah, the reviewer just played throught the normal game twice, with both characters.

Instead of New Game: 2nd Run, which means absolutely nothing to anyone, they should have called it "Part B: Claire's Story" (or Leon's Story, depending on how you started). That at least sounds like new content. It highlights a new character, and makes it crystal clear it's the continuation from what you did.

Thanks.

Or even better, just continue on to the next perspective's story without even needing to select it in the menu.

Edit: Ok, this is kind of clear then. Reminds me of Nier Automata telling you to keep playing after ending A.

VUFIqHA.jpg

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Last edited:

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry but I'm still confused
Yeah, same. Why did they call it "new game (2nd run)" if it's supposed to be an entirely different thing?

I would've skipped right past it as well if I didn't know any better. What a stupid way to word something.

"The ending and certain parts of the game" being different sounds like filler content that I typically ignore.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, same. Why did they call it "new game (2nd run)" if it's supposed to be an entirely different thing?

I would've skipped right past it as well if I didn't know any better. What a stupid way to word something.

the game completion screen says what a second run is and notes that there are changes to the story.