RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
In the original Resident Evil 2, Leon and Claire went through different paths and played a different game from each other, sort of like Jill and chris in RE1, or to make a genre switch comparison, Sonic and Knuckles in Sonic 3. Or like the difference between the first quest and the second quest in Zelda. They go through a lot of the same places, but the actual content of the game is different and remixed. They also fill in parts of the story, the story doesn't make full sense until you played both halves.

I haven't played the new one, but it sounds like after beating the game you can play as either character in either scenario. So what was originally Leon's game, can now be played with Claire, and vice versa. But there is also an actual second scenario, that originally played with Claire, that he missed.

Okay, so basically, once you beat the game once it's back to the way the original version was, where you can play Leon A, Leon B, Claire A, and Claire B? I don't remember if all those were immediately selectable upon starting original RE2.

Jaaake

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Yeah but if you were a professional reviewer for a massive media outlet, you would probably be expected to know the basic background and structure of the game you are reviewing.
That's certainly true.

At the very least they updated the review quite quickly once the error was identified - not that it got a bad score before anyway. Mistakes happen etc. I don't think we should all be jumping on the hate train because of this of all things, but to each their own.

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
Not gonna lie, judging from that screenshot I'd probably have missed the text too. Why's it at the bottom of the screen? Poor design, IMO.
Do descriptions need to be in flashing lights in the middle of the screen to not be missed? Its normal design.

Just the fact that there is a new and 2nd New Game option should maybe spark some kind of curiosity especially if you review the game.

DXB-KNIGHT

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know
I have a feeling that IGN saw the backlash over the score and changed it with made up excuse of ops we've missed the second run.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Okay, so basically, once you beat the game once it's back to the way the original version was, where you can play Leon A, Leon B, Claire A, and Claire B? I don't remember if all those were immediately selectable upon starting original RE2.

People are saying ITT that they might have always been available as A/B scenarios even in the original. I remember playing Leon first, and then I played Claire, and when I played Claire, it was the other side of the wreck and things were all different, but similar. Playing Leon then Claire felt like playing the entire game as intended, as I got all the plot and saw all the locations, I felt like.

Manu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
People are saying ITT that they might have always been available as A/B scenarios even in the original. I remember playing Leon first, and then I played Claire, and when I played Claire, it was the other side of the wreck and things were all different, but similar. Playing Leon then Claire felt like playing the entire game as intended, as I got all the plot and saw all the locations, I felt like.
You played Leon A/Claire B, not Claire A.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
just like every other website around E3, IGN reported that the game would have two campaigns

guess the reviewer wasn't paying attention to that, or to their media package

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
I think people are confusing the Zapping system with the number of scenarios

both games have multiple scenarios, but the Remake doesn't have the Zapping system. Things you do in Leons run won't effect Claires run.

I think when people heard Capcom say that the Remake wouldn't have the Zapping system, they thought that meant there wouldn't be separate scenarios for Leon and Claire, but Capcom's been talking about both campaigns pretty much since E3

Actually, Capcom also said there was no A/B scenarios. And based on what some folks are saying that is true. The "2nd run" is not a "B" scenario where you are basically playing the other half of the game. The 2nd run is more of a ng+ where they added some extra scenes and true boss/ending.

Radamammuth

Dec 8, 2017
Even if it was worded better would you really go into plain New Game again... or this new option that just unlocked and says second scenario?

Game logic 101

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
I'm more interested in knowing the person who reviewed the review before it went live. I mean this is a remake right? I have never played it, but I would imagine IGN should have editors who are familiar with the story. Why not leverage past experiences?
DxisaS1WwAgMW-V.jpg

I saw this on twitter but it seems pretty clear
That's not pretty clear, I can see others making this mistake but I'm not sure how likely it would be.
I mean I don't know how clear it can get.
Also the I would consider reviews of Nier Automata who only played the first ending to be terrible as well.
It could get clearer by having "New Game [Claire's Run]"

Oct 26, 2017
I've only played the PSone versions but it's A/A (the Kendo gun shop), to start with, then saving at the end gives you a fresh save file for the B campaign of the opposite character going the opposite route where you get straight into the RPD grounds instead of going around the streets.

JayBee

Alt-account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
That daemon guy is a chill dude. He made a mistake and i'm not sure why i'm supposed to mock him or the whole of ign because of it.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
At least it's not plagiarism again, but good lord, this isn't a good look.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've only played the PSone versions but it's A/A (the kendo gun shop), to start with, then saving gives you a fresh save file for the B campaign of the opposite character going the opposite route.

Yeah, Leon went to the gunshop in my playthrough, I remember that. I haven't played RE2 since... shit, like 1998 I guess. I'm dying for the remake.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Actually, Capcom also said there was no A/B scenarios. And based on what some folks are saying that is true. The "2nd run" is not a "B" scenario where you are basically playing the other half of the game. The 2nd run is more of a ng+ where they added some extra scenes and true boss/ending.
Capcom has stuck to saying "two campaigns" since the reveal at E3

Jaaake

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Do descriptions need to be in flashing lights in the middle of the screen to not be missed? Its normal design.

Just the fact that there is a new and 2nd New Game option should maybe spark some kind of curiosity especially if you review the game.
This certainly isn't "normal design"

DxisaS1WwAgMW-V.jpg

I can't think of a modern UI that has descriptions planted on the bottom border of the screen with a small font and a weird colour that barely contrasts with the rest of the menu. It's just weird. Why would you even be looking there when the rest of the menu is top left?

(but yes, I agree that as a reviewer [2nd Run] should have caught his interest either way)

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
Weird that a) he fucked that up so badly b) they changed the score minimally c) how would they have had enough time to play the game to change the score? Their editors need to get it together over there.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
They can't see the difference between 720p and 1080p

They don't know if The Last Guardian is actually cancelled or not.

They can't get over the Alien A.I. thus Alien Isolation gets 5.9/10

They can't figure out if their reviewer is stealing other people's review or not.

They can't be bothered to tune the settings in Borderland VR therefore it's a shit VR game.

and now they can't even figure out how Resident Evil 2 works, they are journalists for fucks' sake, they are supposed to figure this shit out, it's literally their job.

fuck it, I'll work at IGN.

Sorry they don't hire competent people.

Darryl M R

Oct 25, 2017

DxisaS1WwAgMW-V.jpg

I can't think of a modern UI that has descriptions planted on the bottom border of the screen with a small font and a weird colour that barely contrasts with the rest of the menu. It's just weird. Why would you even be looking there when the rest of the menu is top left?

(but yes, I agree that as a reviewer [2nd Run] should have caught his interest either way)
Wow I didn't even notice the text at the bottom until I read your post. That is just a bad design choice.

Deleted member 41931

Apr 10, 2018
I'm not sure I fully understand the situation. I thought the B paths were a continuation.

Last edited:

Pacify

Oct 30, 2017
This is pretty sad. I'm rooting for IGN, but these frequent blunders give people too much ammunition to use against them.

DC5remy

Jan 20, 2018
Denver co

They can't figure out if their reviewer is stealing other people's review or not.

They can't be bothered to tune the settings in Borderland VR therefore it's a shit VR game.

and now they can't even figure out how Resident Evil 2 works, they are journalists for fucks' sake, they are supposed to figure this shit out, it's literally their job.

Couldn't figure out fighter jet controls?

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017
I do think "missed half of the game" is overstating it. But it's still embarrassing

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017

"they"

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017

DxisaS1WwAgMW-V.jpg

This is bad UX/UI. That descriptor text should be next to the menu choice, not at the bottom of the screen. Calling it "2nd run" makes it sound like you're just running it a 2nd time for...whatever reason. No reason not to call it New Game (2nd Scenario).

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I'm usually one of the first to jump to IGN's defense, but man are they going through a rough patch right now. They've had a bunch of controversial reviews recently, from the outright bullshit Borderlands 2 VR review to the questionable Ace Combat 7 score and now this. I wonder what's going on over there.

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City

DxisaS1WwAgMW-V.jpg

I dont know i see letters and i read them no matter where they are on the screen.

From really far away i can tell there is something written on the bottom.

Darryl M R

Oct 25, 2017

Sorry they don't hire competent people.
You seriously have a hate boner for IGN don'tcha?

Also it is a game's fault for having terrible controls in a game as default. Rise up without me.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I must have missed the class on how game reviews are journalistic in any sense of the word.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_journalism

Video game journalism is a branch of journalismconcerned with the reporting and discussion of video games. It is typically based on a core reveal/preview/review cycle. There has been a recent growth in online publications and blogs.

Hope you didnt spend too much money on all those classes to be a pedant.

ethanradd

Oct 30, 2017
I can't blame the reviewer, shit's not clear at all, maybe it's because I haven't played the original but what a weird structure.