• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

kikuchiyo

Nov 9, 2017
I thought I was losing my mind. I read the IGN review in the morning and thought "Well its Capcom, anything could be true," but reviews I read later like Eurogamer's didn't complain about the two scenarios being the same.

Sort of feel bad for the dude though he could be handling it better than blocking people. If he just issued a mea culpa and joked about it, the readers would probably let it go.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Im not sure what's funnier that the dude missed half the game or that an entire half of the game fixing one of their complaints is worth .2 points

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand how a professional reviewer could not know about this in advance. It's RE2.

benzy

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like a hilarious honest mistake and I don't care much about that aspect or view IGN negatively due to it. But the fact that he blocked people on twitter for correcting him is douchey though, seems he had a hard time owning up to the mistake lmao.

Oct 26, 2017
Starting on the other side of the crash was the original Claire scenario. That was the original point of having two discs and two characters. If you played the Claire side first, you started on that side of the crash first.
Nope.

Both characters go via the gun shop in the original RE2. A routes. Finishing the game unlocks the version on the other character's disk that goes via the back door.

Omeganex9999

Oct 25, 2017
London
In the original Resident Evil 2, Leon and Claire went through different paths and played a different game from each other, sort of like Jill and chris in RE1, or to make a genre switch comparison, Sonic and Knuckles in Sonic 3. Or like the difference between the first quest and the second quest in Zelda. They go through a lot of the same places, but the actual content of the game is different and remixed. They also fill in parts of the story, the story doesn't make full sense until you played both halves.

I haven't played the new one, but it sounds like after beating the game you can play as either character in either scenario. So what was originally Leon's game, can now be played with Claire, and vice versa. But there is also an actual second scenario, that originally played with Claire, that he missed.

Yes, I have played the original RE2, I just thought we would have a Leon and Claire scenario and stop, that's it.
Are people here confusing scenarios and game A and B?

Original RE2 had 2 scenarios.

Leon A
Claire B

and

Claire A
Leon B

I just thought the scenario this time is tied to the character but apparently that is not the case?
I'm asking because the developers explicitly said this was not going to be the case in RE2MAKE, but people here are basically saying the game has 2 scenarios and two different games and the reviewer missed part of the game. Hence my confusion.

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
I don't hear of other review sites fucking up as frequently as IGN. Borderlands VR, Prey, plagarism, "too much water," and of course, motherfucking GOD HAND, just off the top of my head.
As someone who doesn't care about Pokemon, I was under the impression that "too much water" was actually an actual criticism (not that there was too much water specifically, but that the water based structure of the game pigeon holes you into certain team builds) that many longtime fans had about the game

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, again, the official word that went around post-e3 was that it didn't have a zapping system.
(but also, again, apparently the same straight up tells you it's a thing once you beat the game the first time and it's like my dude why did you not even try out that option on the main menu!)

Usually when you are reviewing a game, you get a review guide that explains a lot of the features, control schemes, etc to you.

So either there wasn't one and this is just out of the blue, or the writer didn't pay attention in his review period.

Either way, If I'm confused about something in the game, like a game mode or a label that says "2nd run," I'd email my editor and be like "yo dog, what's up with this? Can we email our contact for information?"

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
It doesn't seem that big of a deal but IGN has been taking L's lately so I guess it stands out.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And thus a million Gamergate morons simultaneously reached climax.

Horrible look by IGN though, like nobody bothered to fact check the review and make sure everything was good and clear before it went live? Don't they have an editorial staff? Especially for marquee releases like RE2? This seems like something that could have been fixed with an editor checking this.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
But yeah also that UI design is crap so eh

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
So there is A/B scenario in this game? What? I thought each campaign was more distinct now instead of there being the alternating A/B setup like the original.

I'm so confused.

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
Its bad UI design. They shouldn't have added a seconds new game option. People will glance over it. Ideally you should have to click on new game, then the game asks you if you want to do the second scenario. No possible mistake if done that way.
To be fair, that sounds like a "new game+" to me, not an entirely new campaign.
Nah its pretty clear.

Also if i would review the game i would at least start a new option that is added after beating the game.

No real excuse even if you cant read.

Butch

Oct 27, 2017

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Usually when you are reviewing a game, you get a review guide that explains a lot of the features, control schemes, etc to you.

So either there wasn't one and this is just out of the blue, or the writer didn't pay attention in his review period.

Either way, If I'm confused about something in the game, like a game mode or a label that says "2nd run," I'd email my editor and be like "yo dog, what's up with this? Can we email our contact for information?"
There's probably a guide or info beforehand, I mean other outlets didn't bump into this problem.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, when it says "2nd run" in the menu, that could look like a New Game+ kinda thing. And Capcom wasn't exactly clear that the whole four campaign thing was even in the game.

That said, shouldn't that be something that the reviewer contact Capcom PR about?

benzy

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I have played the original RE2, I just thought we would have a Leon and Claire scenario and stop, that's it.
Are people here confusing scenarios and game A and B?

Original RE2 had 2 scenarios.

Leon A
Claire B

and

Claire A
Leon B

I just thought the scenario this time is tied to the character but apparently that is not the case?
I'm asking because the developers explicitly said this was not going to be the case in RE2MAKE, but people here are basically saying the game has 2 scenarios and two different games and the reviewer missed part of the game. Hence my confusion.

One of the viewers mentioned it in the review thread, the Remake has that same set up. Completing Leon A unlocks Claire B, and completing Claire A unlocks Leon B, so basically 4 playthroughs you can choose from; but the two A scenarios are very similar except for certain spots.

Mr_Blue_Sky

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't like the one thing everyone knows about RE2 is the zapping system? The A/B routes for both characters? Literally everytime I've heard someone talk about this game that's one of the first things they bring up. How can someone be reviewing a remake of RE2 and not know about one of main things that makes it so different/good?

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Im not sure what's funnier that the dude missed half the game or that an entire half of the game fixing one of their complaints is worth .2 points
Review scales are totally arbitrary to the point where it's patently ridiculous that anybody even attempts to use a numerical system to quantify it.

It really should be a form of "buy it or don't buy it" because it's much easier to quantify that.

OP
OP
Datajoy

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
Even if you didn't see the text at the bottom of the screen, how do you now know that the game has two distinct scenarios? You are a professional reviewer and editor at the biggest games media outlet in the world.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Surely you guys realize that the reviewers kit explicitly specifies how the game is structured and how the second scenario is accessed.

Without even getting into how the game itself tells you that you unlocked the second scenario when you finish the first one.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Because he's always been pretty well regarded and now he makes a small mistake and suddenly he sucks? It seems more to me like people getting overly defensive over a game they want to have a high metascore. When i see shit like people calling him pathetic then saying this is why all games journalism is terrible it seems pretty plain to me that there are some overreactions afoot.
That and people are delighted when a reviewer makes a mistake because it gives them a sense of superiority. Or they're envious of people getting paid to play games and have their voices heard.

OP
OP
Datajoy

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
Isn't like the one thing everyone knows about RE2 is the zapping system? The A/B routes for both characters? Literally everytime I've heard someone talk about this game that's one of the first things they bring up. How can someone be reviewing a remake of RE2 and not know about one of main things that makes it so different/good?

Exactly

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Out of curiosity, why is it called "Zapping System"?

Oct 25, 2017
But it says "Play through the second scenario from the beginning".
I honestly don't understand how people would equate "second scenario" to "new game+" unless you miss the description in the bottom entirely.
Honestly, that faint, size 8 font looks pretty missable to me. Someone on a deadline, pressed for time? Yeah I could see how they wouldn't bother to read descriptions, especially one as out-of-the-way as that one.

Fault is still on the reviewer for not being thorough and double checking with someone, but honestly it looks like a silly, yet honest mistake.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Capcom said it wasn't in this game during the previews lol. This was their big surprise it seems.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
this ain't his first rodeo

tweet-1.jpg
Oh, crap, I remember that. It was so long ago. This being the same guy... yikes.

Oct 26, 2017
Wait so what ARE the campaigns?

Leon A B
Claire A B
Or just one for Leon and one for Claire?

Leon 1st 2nd
Claire 1st 2nd

But supposedly* it doesn't have different plots this time for 1st and 2nd, but 2nd has the expanded ending.
*I'm going off Remake insiders rather than reviews, I should probably check up on that thread to see if it's still the same.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, that faint, size 8 font looks pretty missable to me. Someone on a deadline, pressed for time? Yeah I could see how they wouldn't bother to read descriptions, especially one as out-of-the-way as that one.

Fault is still on the reviewer for not being thorough and double checking with someone, but honestly it looks like a silly, yet honest mistake.

Surely you guys realize that the reviewers kit explicitly specifies how the game is structured and how the second scenario is accessed.

Without even getting into how the game itself tells you that you unlocked the second scenario when you finish the first one.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Out of curiosity, why is it called "Zapping System"?
iirc it was a way to signify how things change from one campaign to another

like leaving Marvin alone in the original RE2 effects what happens in the second campaign

a better name would be "Reaction System" or sommit, but w/e

Magyscar

Oct 25, 2017
It's only the very beginning and end that change in the B scenario I believe. It's not as drastic a difference as in the original.