• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ShaggsMagoo

Oct 28, 2017
They got number 1 correct. I don't really have a problem with any game on the list, with the exception of Trials HD. Not that it's not a great game (although Evolution is better), but it's not a racing game. It's a platform game where you control a motorcycle. Some of the later sequels added racing multiplayer modes, but that is still not it's main game.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
One entry per franchise I get, but in some cases it feels like they chose one entry per SUB-GENRE, which is like, huh? I am one of the biggest Wipeout fans ever, but I wouldn't NOT put an F-Zero game on the list because of it.

But besides that, I think Gran Turismo 3 is the weirdest pick. They literally admit that Gran Turismo 4 is a better game, but they don't pick it? Like, I get that GT3 was the first GT game of the PS2 generation and will always seem impressive because of it, but I don't feel like it's the one everyone remembers these days. 4 feels like the game 3 was supposed to be.

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
No FZero GX? Why does this list even exist?

I get one per franchise and BO3, but Paradise really should be there as well. It's that good.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Ridge Racer over any of its vastly improved sequels? OutRun over Outrun 2? Diddy Kong Racing and Crash Team Racing cast aside because Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is already on the list? POLE POSITION? What am I reading?

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Weird choice for Ridge Racer 1.

R4, Ridge Racer 6/7, Rage Racer, even Revolutions are all better.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
where the closed-track simulators at

like gt 3 is good but like, Forza Motorsport 3/6 are way better imo

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
Not a terrible list, but seriously every Ridge Racer is better than the original and I would argue that R4 is more seminal/more "important" a release than the original ever was.

Also, no F-Zero is just... lmaooooooooooooooooo

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Top Gear for the SNES was robbed. It may be a relatively mediocre game overall but that music should earn it a spot

Flavius

Oct 28, 2017
Orlando, FL
This list just feels so blatantly controversial for sake of clicks -- that's the only consistent criteria I see being applied. A few of those older titles I'd wipe immediately because they just aren't fun anymore. It's been years since I've played, but I don't even think of Mashed as a racing game...less so even than something like Mario Kart.

I still go back and play Beetle Adventure Racing because there aren't many other games that have that sort of track design and verticality (maybe Rush 2049?). I agree that GT3 is a weird ass choice too...then again it's weird to me in the same way that PGR3 would be weird to me and I see people here pushing for that title, so...I don't know.

I just don't see a lot of thought put into this list other than to be controversial for the sake of controversy, which for me removes a lot of the fun in having conversations like this.

Last thing...Pacific Rift abso-farking-lutely belongs on this list. I might be okay with it at #1. I don't think Burnout 3 is the lock others claim it to be.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
giphy.gif
I immediately was looking for it.

It's like having a list of best musical acts of all time and not having the Beatles on there.

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
Most Wanted 2005, Burnout 3, Gran Turismo 3 (The absolute best Gran Turismo) being on the top 10 is very very good as well as Wave Race 64 being present. Now to complain a bit. Extreme-G 3 needs to be here as are other futuristic racers such as F-Zero GX kind of got under represented. Beetle Adventure Racing was insanely good and had a great exploration. The biggest crime of all was not including ANY game from the San Fransisco Rush series. Rush 2049 should have been on this list. It was amazing, had fun stunt modes, exploration, fun track design, lots of cars and customization. To me, games like Burnout feel directly inspired from it.

Rush 2049 was robbed.

evilromero

Oct 27, 2017
Hard Drivin but no Virtua Racing or R4?? Good lord.

It's a damn shame more people don't recognize how good Virtua Racing really is. It's got to have the best course layouts and handling of any racing game outside maybe Daytona. Plenty of racing games have come out with a retro look lately but they simply don't have the highly manicured and fun courses of VR.

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
Hard Drivin for being a tech marvel at the time is an argument, but picking it over stunts and trackmania isn't something I'd agree with.
Outrun 1 is fun, but 2 set a drifting standard few games can live up to
If anything, TDU2's MP stuff should get the edge over 1 for being a forza inspiration, even if the handing gets squirrley mid-game
Most Wanted earned its spot over underground 2: A way better map, cop chases, and exotic cars made it wow worthy over underground.
Street rod is a deep cut, but I am unsure of the quality of said game to note the high position on the list
Hot take but GT2 is the most gran turismo-y of the series with an even better soundtrack than 3 and a billion niche cars to put big ass turbos on

Games worthy of said list:
Trackmaina (the original one) or nations for being a free taste of said game
Rush 2049 for nailing the arcade formula and wings!
NFS Porsche Unleashed: every Porsche car in one game with a career mode through the years was a peek of things to come with underground, the soundtrack ruled, and it was the game for those who despised the whole underground thing
PGR2 (I haven't played the 360 ones yet): Sumlime semi-sim racing with a load of car groups
Rallisport Challenge 2: Sumlime semi-sim rally racing with a load of car groups, only matched by DiRT (also noteworthy) or Forza Horizon years later

Muitnorts

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I came in to see where Burnout 3 was. I leave satisfied.

Edit: Also Mashed getting some love is great to see. I loved that game.

TheZjman

Banned
Nov 22, 2018
Glad to see Driver San Francisco so high on the list, a real gem. The winner should be all stars racing transformed though, and unless I missed it, didn't even make the list?

GhaleonQ

Jan 14, 2018
Outrun 2 and F Zero X should be joint number 1

As someone who does not think newer is better and love Out Run 1 both as a game and as a video game "mood" that should be included in any time capsule, 2 really is stunningly good.

Also, I genuinely do not understand the lack of an F-0 title. If anything, it's a boring top five choice, like Tetris or Super Metroid topping lists.

That said, I do understand this list's point-of-view, which is all I can ask of a list. It needs to make sense. It lacking Crazy Taxi is weird, given its other biases, but I'm okay with this.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Some strange omissions but you can only have so many games in a top 25 I guess.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe being so high makes sense, given its the best kart racer ever released. But CTR not making the top 25 at all seems strange. No F-Zero GX is disappointing too.

Burnout 3 being #1 is great to see. The fact that there has been no remaster is a damn crime.

But something I think might be more of a crime? The fact that there has been no follow-up to Driver: San Francisco yet.

Driver: San Francisco is one of the best games of the 360/PS3 gen. It is ridiculously underrated and overlooked. Play this damn game. It's so much fun.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
It's definitely a list that encompasses a few different types of racing game but the choices made don't gel with me compared to the stuff they left out, although I think Trials HD pushes the definition a little.

Of all the Ridge Racers they choose the original and not Type-4? Outrun over Outrun 2006? No Blur or Split/Second? No Driveclub or Motorstorm? DiRT where?

Feb 8, 2018
I agree with Toca Race Driver 3 in the top 10 but in a list which seems to be focused on more accessible experiences i'm surprised there is no mention of GRID.

Was Burnout 3 really that good? I always felt like Dominator was a far superior game.

At the time it was impressive. Solid visuals at 60fps, car traffic, direct A.I or player interaction, Online mode, advanced physics and damage system and more. It definitely had issues, the rubberbanding/unrealistic A.I also got old quickly. Overall easily one of my favorites on PS2.

Last edited:

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
I would put NFS Most Wanted in Mario Kart 8 place

I think that MK 8 is HUGELY overrated

It getting 4th place while CTR not even getting in the list is bonkers

I would also put Burnout Paradise in the top 5

Love this game so much. Best open world racer, imo

1st place is absolutely correct

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
I'd include Wipeout 3 or Omega VR before 2097.

I agree with other posters saying Trials should not be on there. It's a platformer. The rare times they add other bikes for you to race, it makes the game worse.

And no F-Zero is a very big mistake.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
No F0 is wack.

Also, personally I don't understand putting GT3 over GT4.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Oh man, they included Hard Driving...haha. Even if I was fascinated by it back in the day, it is and always was probably one of the all-time worst racing/Driving games. The controls and physics were just too hard, and too impossible to reliably control.

It feels like a list made by one person, which is fine and fun. Sega Rally and F-Zero got robbed, Rock and Roll Racing should be higher, and Karnaaj Rally on Gamenoy Advance like would have surprised the pants off more people than Mashed (never played it).