• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AtmaPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
Glad this guy got caught and is having his "work" scrubbed from IGN. As a writer it always pisses me off when people plagiarize other hard-working people and take credit for it.

sanstesy

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
So did he even play these games in the first place? I have real trouble seeing how this otherwise all makes any logical sense.

BoJack

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
This dude never should've left Youtube and became a game "reviewer" at IGN. Sheesh!

Oh, that was not intentional at all.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
This Sith Lord should never have come here to become a disgraceful "Jedi Knight". *Wookie roar*

Sagadego17

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This dude neva should've frigging left Youtube and became a pitiful game "reviewer" @ IGN. shittin hell!

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Filip Miucin just shot himself in his foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about writing reviews (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is on YouTube where you can become successful by being an ***hole. If you screw someone over on IGN, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the online public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to trust the reviews for any outlet, nor will they trust any of IGN's reviews. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Filip has alienated an entire market with this move.

Filip, publicly apologize and do your own reviews or you can kiss your job goodbye.

filip
So does this count as a homage or is this plagiarism?

goodsines

Oct 28, 2017
Colorado
I'm a little shocked that he invited Kotaku and other people in his "apology" video to search for other signs of plagiarism when it took little to no effort to find these many other examples. I mean, could he really be that oblivious to the fact that it's not hard at all to find this crap? What an utterly shameful shitshow.

Outtrigger888

Oct 27, 2017
Smart on IGN to pull all his shit before people find more examples of plagerism. Just scrub it clean and deal with re-reviews later.

Deleted member 46641

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 12, 2018
Has anyone checked his apology video's script? Want to check if he's ever written an original word in his life.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
I've never said I'm a perfect person, nor pretended to be someone that I'm not. I've said and done things I regret, and the words released today on this more than a week-old review are one of them...

-Flip's Apology, August 15 2018

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Dude... Writing about games isn't even that hard... Why did you have to resort to this?

Filip Miucin is a fraud, but I don't know if I agree with this attitude wholeheartedly. I don't think many of the write-ups and expressed thoughts I read on Era or get from some of my favorite YouTubers and whatnot are easy to write up and think up, necessarily. Writing about games that amounts to "I like this thing" or "I dislike this thing" is easy, but trying to break down and articulate something like "why the gameplay is good" takes way more effort than I think people give credit to...

The normal mode of discussion of games is easy, yes... Because it is usually just "I like this/I don't like this," but the well-thought-out analysis brought to the table by content creators like SuperBunnyHop or some of the work by dark1x on Digital Foundry in the DF Retro episodes isn't just off-the-cuff thoughts, it's well formulated, often hard-researched thoughts brought together by a lengthy editing and thought process to articulate it as poignantly as possible, and I know for sure that I can't pull that shit off.

rainking187

Oct 25, 2017
Why the fuck would you dare people to find more examples of your plagiarism when you know for a fact that you did that shit a lot? It was probably going to be found regardless, but that's still really dumb.

Deleted member 4021

Oct 25, 2017
This human being should not have departed from Youtube and become a disgraceful merriment "reviewer" at IGN. Pah!

Deleted member 3925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe this guy got hired in the first place.

Edit: Actually, let me revise my post so that it reflects my own words better.

This dude never should've left Youtube and became a shameful game "reviewer" at IGN. Sheesh!

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Why the fuck would you dare people to find more examples of your plagiarism when you know for a fact that you did that shit a lot? It was probably going to be found regardless, but that's still really dumb.

giphy.gif

Pickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This guy should have never abandoned Youtube to turn into a laughable game "critic" at IGN. Man!!!

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
So let's see what has been uncovered so far...

Dead Cell's Review (Boomstick Gaming)
Fifa 18 (Nintendo Life)
Metroid Samus Returns Review (Engadget)
Explaining what HD Rumble is (NeoGAF)
Bayonetta 2 Preview (Polygon)
Octopath Traveler Preview (Polygon)
Octopath Traveler article (IGN, yes he literally copied his co-worker's review)

Last edited:

TrojanAg

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
This guy's entire career is a farce. No way in hell should he ever have another job in the industry.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
This was discussedin the other thread but unless you have a suspicion of plagiarism it really is very difficult to detect. In this case a lot of internet randoms played detective over 5 days to uncover 5 examples....

Dan has had already a conversation about this on twitter and he explains it better. There's simple no realistic way to find something like that ahead of publication:

You guys should read the full convo on twitter.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
This is insane

So many people work their asses off writing reviews and other content for small websites just out of passion, while dreaming of working at IGN or something like it one day. They spend forty, sixty hours a week gaming and writing about them and make next to nothing if anything at all. They sometimes even buy review copies out of their own pockets.

Yet this asshat gets paid a salary to review video games and copies from these people.

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I feel bad for his family, they don't deserve the shit they're apparently getting.

As for this guy... what a douche.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I'll echo what others have said. Dude put IGN in a shitty spot but they've handled it about as well as they could. The right calls have been made.

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
We have a LOT of evidence that he extensively played the games he reviewed for us. Was competent with them on stream, knew a lot about them, played them in office, held lots of convos with people about specific elements of the games.

At this point I'm in "trust nothing" mode believe me - but so far this does not seem to be the case of trying to dodge the play time requirement and instead something more about the written work itself.

Oct 27, 2017