Son of Sparda

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
WB right now:
40f.png

Era Uma Vez

Feb 5, 2020
I honestly cant understand how they release a GAAS, it fails and the conclusion is to make more.
Why do they think Suicide Squad fail? Is nobody gonna tell them that in the public's eyes the game was done from the start when they realized it was GAAS?
edit: obviously, it was a combination of the game being GAAS + coming from Rocksteady who only made singeplayer games until then and didnt release anything since 2017, but still.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
The margin for error in AAA right now is incredibly thin. And everyone saw this error coming from miles down the track…

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
I love how their other big game, the harry potter one was like the biggest sales success of the year and instead of following that and making a normal licensed game, they go "WE NEED MORE LIVE SERVICE GAAS STUFF!

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
I don't want to be a doomer, but I just don't see Rocksteady bouncing back from this. Arkham City is one of my favorite games ever, this sucks so much.

I don't even dislike GAAS titles on any inherent level, but these big publishers insistence on trying to chase after their own "forever game" is going to do a lot more damage.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
They literally think the lesson here is to make more live service games. Jesus Christ.

Also, just how big Suicide Squad flop is? Thinking about everything surrounding this game, I don't think it's crazy to put it near the top, or maybe at the very top of commercial disasters. For games that is.
The horrible truth is that we're in an era where voting with your dollar on single player games no longer means that they strive to make better single player games. They pivot to live service games and then when those flop, they close studios. Ugh.

I do not anticipate Rocksteady surviving this.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Who the FUCK wants to play as Captain Boomerang?! WHO?! Aside GAAS angle, why such expensive game was made about C list jobbers (and overplayed Harley).

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
What's next from their umbrella? Wonder Woman? Doubt that would be a live service game like SS…
Next big title from WB Games is MultiVersus which is another GAAS game. Wonder Woman is single-player and might drop sometime next year. Montreal are MIA after Gotham Knights. Avalanche just released Hogwarts and have no plans for DLC. NetherRealm just released MK1. Rocksteady are supporting KtJL (though maybe WB might pull the plug on this one soon).

We're at that point in time again where projects are early in production/getting greenlit. If WB are doubling down on GAAS like they've said they will then the majority of these studios are cooked.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
any news about mk1 in this call? the game is like 29,- for the premium edition here (europe). that shit must have bombed outside of the states.

sazz

Aug 3, 2020
London, UK
If I was a betting person, the lesson they're taking from Hogwarts isn't that love service games are bad, it's that the Harry Potter brand is ridiculously strong, and they could have made a lot more money if Hogwarts was a live service game.
which is a bit silly, they would twist any result they have into "oh live-service is definitely the way to go"

Arkham + Hogwarts = Success

Live-service Justice League = Massive Failure

lesson taken = do the second thing again

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Let's see what WB does after this.
I fear for Rocksteady honestly and hope they get a chance to focus on a SP game again.
It's not so black and white, because HP is probably a stronger brand too unfortunately, but find it funny Hogwarts Legacy did well as an SP game, while Suicide Squad didn't do well as a Live Service game, yet their position still seems to be to focus on Live Services. Guess we'll see if they continue to stick to that.

GulfCoastZilla

Shinra Employee
Sep 13, 2022
They literally think the lesson here is to make more live service games. Jesus Christ.

Also, just how big Suicide Squad flop is? Thinking about everything surrounding this game, I don't think it's crazy to put it near the top, or maybe at the very top of commercial disasters. For games that is.
Nothing is topping Anthem I feel like

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
Apparently someone told them they would become trilionaires with GasS, and now apart of shocked they don't want to accept this was never a good idea. Even worse, they don't see it

Mass One

Oct 28, 2017
Suicide Squad killed Funhaus and that's an unforgivable sin for me. I hope Zaslav gets booed at more.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
theyll probably be put back on batman rather than closed. batman is a strong brand and dc only successful mainstream superhero so theyll want to do that brand synergy shit

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
Some WB exec literally said a few weeks or so back that the lesson they're gonna take from Hogwarts success and Squads failure is that they've got to find a way to live service up Harry Potter.

They ain't learning.

Dunfish

Oct 29, 2017
Allow me to reword it for you:

"The intervention of our executive leadership team in the development of Suicide Squad lead to a $200,000,000 hit to revenue. Rocksteady consistently advised our leadership team that its intended strategy did not align with the stellar history of Rocksteady which was completely ignored in the pursuit of profit."

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if Rocksteady will survive this

Some WB exec literally said a few weeks or so back that the lesson they're gonna take from Hogwarts success and Squads failure is that they've got to find a way to live service up Harry Potter.

They ain't learning.

These muppets don't care about having a sustainable business, just about hitting the lottery on another Fortnite

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
which is a bit silly, they would twist any result they have into "oh live-service is definitely the way to go"

Arkham + Hogwarts = Success

Live-service Justice League = Massive Failure

lesson taken = do the second thing again
To be clear, I'm not defending turning every game into a live service game, but it is a bit more nuanced than that. Suicide Squad didn't fail just because it was a live service game, that really wasn't it's biggest issue. Take away the live service elements and you're still left with a mediocre third person open world action game with a story people aren't terribly interested in seeing, from a developer who audiences expect something much different from.

On the flip side, there's probably a reality where Hogwarts offers more opportunities for monetization without it becoming a full-fledged live service game. Something like a cosmetic storefront similar to what Ubi does with Assassin's Creed could work. People are cynical towards those, but they're ultimately pretty harmless.

I just think the term "live service" can be a a spectrum, and incorporating live service elements doesn't inherently turn a game into a Suicide Squad or a Destiny.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Does this actually say "Suicide Squad cost us $200M", or does it say "Suicide Squad + not having a Hogwarts Legacy again lead to that"? Im a bit struggling to understand it.

Theres a huge difference between the two.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Well, this is a better article about Rocksteady than I thought I'd be reading today.

Although it feels likes it's only a matter of time…

ALXJ

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Feb 16, 2021
yep it seems people aren't interested in a looter shooter as a service with 4 characters that play basically the same and more than 3 currencies to progress huh

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The suits in charge of these decisions should be the ones being fired and not the quality studios that face closures.

Kintraills

May 24, 2022
As much as I don't like a rocksteady game being live service, I don't think that being live service per se was the issue, the gameplay was terrible, and the way they choose to do the live service didn't helped either, but if your gameplay is flawed the retention is null and live service live of retention.

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
Someone needs to leak all the internal warnings that I'm sure were flagged up before development and during it. There will be people that knew. I suppose after a certain point, you're committed and just have to make the best of it.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be shocked if Rocksteady survive this.
Would be an even dumber closure than Tango, considering Rocksteady has delivered multiple critical and commercial success before being forced to do something they were never good at doing.

The reaction to this isn't to close Rocksteady, it's to get them to make a new Batman Arkham game that plays it as much to their strengths as possible. They might not be terribly excited about making another Batman but they're currently in the doghouse after delivering a massive flop. So they can bite the bullet for a game or two, regain some clout, and then branch out a bit after

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
Whatever analyst at WB thought this game would do these numbers fundamentally does not understand how the gaming world works.

Almost all money people are morons at big corps.

SFLUFAN

Oct 27, 2017
Alexandria, VA
Does this actually say "Suicide Squad cost us $200M", or does it say "Suicide Squad + not having a Hogwarts Legacy again lead to that"? Im a bit struggling to understand it.

Theres a huge difference between the two.

It's the latter and the exact amount of the Suicide Squad impairment loss cannot be determined from the financial data presented.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It certainly doesn't help that WB has given out the Arkham games for free several times before. Besides FOMO, why buy Suicide Squad now if you can just wait? What did these companies think would happen with all those EGS promos?