Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Game industry is going to have to go back to basics. Small individual owned companies with small teams who are doing it for the love of the craft. This might mean AA games but it may be the only way the industry survives.

AAA is not sustainable in the hands of the greedy corporate capitalists chasing infinite growth. But unfortunately, they're the only ones that can invest and make AAA games.

I honestly don't understand why companies are insisting on spending so much of AAA games when so many big hits the past few years have been smaller fair. It feels like they're shooting themselves in the foot. Maybe you lose some sales if the game isn't absolutely top of the line tech/graphics/content-wise, but presumably you'd make that difference in smaller development cost.

Even though it wasn't Rocksteady, I believe Gotham Knights also underperformed, so WB may be looking to take a break from DC for awhile with this level of losses.

And that would not be good news for Rocksteady's survival.

Edit: Throw in the DC movie's flopping, and yeah, DC as a whole may be scaled back from media.

I mean they're rebooting the movie universe with a big Superman movie, basically putting their hopes in revitalizing the brand. I don't think we're gonna see any less DC due to this.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Well the results are clear.

More games like suicide squad to follow ! Based Zaslav.

phantomsnake

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The Microsoft court documents leak indicated that Microsoft expected to pay ~$250M to bring Suicide Squad to Game Pass. Just how much did WB spend on the production of this game if they still lost $200M?

IXTNaZH.png

PatAndTheCat

Apr 1, 2024
WB is about to become a full time Harry Potter Studio. Solo single player game every few years + live service game

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Oof.

I have a feeling they're gonna scrap the announced post launch content and kill it real quick. This is a giga bomb.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
Rocksteady can bounce back, just put them on a new Batman Arkham game.

Only problem is their staff is mostly built around a live service looter shooter.

SilentStorm

Apr 14, 2019
which is a bit silly, they would twist any result they have into "oh live-service is definitely the way to go"

Arkham + Hogwarts = Success

Live-service Justice League = Massive Failure

lesson taken = do the second thing again
In fairness, this isn't Live Service Justice League, if anything, that franchise would be more appropriate for a game like this, the team is used to fighting Brainiac level threats and bigger, and the characters are more iconic and beloved.

Sorry, i know Suicide Squad has it's fans, but how many people really really love Captain Boomerang?

Or Deadshot, even with Ostrander's legendary run and the movies they didn't exactly become really popular villains, King Shark a lot less, Harley Quinn is the standout but i would gather she is still less iconic than the Justice League.

I mean, those are all characters that have been around for decades, some are older than our grandparents and have been in beloved shows and movies before Harley Quinn was even created, even if you want to say Flash and Green Lantern aren't that big, they were still in the Justice League cartoon and movie...also Flash had a show that ran for 9 seasons...so they still have their fans.

Even with superhero haters or fatigue, there is still a level of nostalgia and love towards them that doesn't go away, not to mention each member in the game is unique and has powers, gadgets or equipment that would make them more fun to play than the Suicide Squad...to a point where the game shoves in equipment to kinda force some kind of Justice League gameplay on the team, like Captain Boomerang being a speedster in one second or two because of a device left in a museum.

So i think a game where you play as them would sell more or at least be seen less as a "Why do it?" kind of game at least, instead, they made a game where you play as villains, only one of which is really popular and have you killing the Justice League instead.

I mean, they could have even just made a game where they are brainwashed and you knock them out of it or whatever, but nope, they went full in with the murder, and the museum and some scenes really establish the team were truly heroic before the events of the game, i mean, the Flash saves the Suicide Squad and tries to help before being brainwashed, Wonder Woman doesn't trust the team for good reason but is still heroic and some parts imply Superman was a pure good hearted boy scout of a hero before being corrupted...so have fun killing him with a bunch of villains that aren't even related to him at all.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Why doesn't every movie do as well as Barbie and Oppenheimer
why doesn't every game do as well as Hogwarts Legacy

companies run by these kind of morons are amazing.

Amauri14

Oct 27, 2017
Danbury, CT, USA
The moment that Battlepass image got leaked, the game's failure was obvious. Honestly, I just don't see how this model would work for a game like that. And I guess that's the main issue here, their main focus is to make a live service without consideration of how a game can work with it while still being engaging.

SFLUFAN

Oct 27, 2017
Alexandria, VA
Writing off assets doesn't effect revenue, just net income (and asset and equity values).

What the revenue miss is just straight up projection miss when they did their forecast. We also don't know how much it contributed other than being a major factor. For example, if the other software titles were above projections, like Hogwarts, then to bring it down to a 200M total reduction means SS was an even higher miss.

Oh right - the asset impairment loss would be recorded "below the line" as an expense rather than as a direct charge against revenue.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
These brain worm executives don't see a single player game in Hogwarts Legacy succeeding as a signal to make more single player games.

They see it as "oh if we had made it live service we could have made that same money continuously instead of once off!"

Bunch of fools.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
These brain worm executives don't see a single player game in Hogwarts Legacy succeeding as a signal to make more single player games.

They see it as "oh if we had made it live service we could have made that same money continuously instead of once off!"

Bunch of fools.
The even wilder part is, with their catalogue of IP they could theoretically have a Harry Potter potential of success every year if they just played their cards right. DC alone could accomplish that with Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman games on rotation, now throw in Mortal Kombat/Injustice, Harry Potter and LEGO and you have a solid roster. Not to mention they could throw in more IP's like Game of Thrones, The Matrix and whatever else they got in the vault.

Charcoal

Nov 2, 2017
EA just announced that the next Battlefield will be a "tremendous live service", so there's still hope everyone!

Valet Jay

Mar 20, 2018
Studio is gone.

Literally no company on Earth, no investor - whether that's Nintendo, Sony, or the Saudis - is willing to double-down for another 6-7 years, just to find out they lost money again. What a waste of capital.

Charcoal

Nov 2, 2017

Only problem is their staff is mostly built around a live service looter shooter.
The majority of folks that made the Arkham games left the studio long ago.

Given they're $200M in the hole, Rocksteady very likely won't exist a year from now. At least not as a AAA developer.

Jul 1, 2020
You can say that people complained and said they didn't want to buy the game before it released, but people can change opinions, i guess WB expected people to change their mind once the game actually released.
The gaming audience also has a decades long history of getting wound up about something then buying the game anyway. I think the main difference here is the general excitement level. The games people bought anyway were ones they were excited about like Modern Warfare 2 (the first one). There was already a lack of excitement about this game and it's really easy to skip a game you're not excited about or wait for a sale if you're on the fence.

grtn

Apr 7, 2024
They didn't see that coming?

I think they expected it to be a disappointment, not crater to nothing. Looking at it as a GaaS perspective, Suicide Squad has managed a 24 hour concurrent peak of 158 users today, compared to the delisted after disappointing sales (and released nearly 4 years ago) Marvel's Avengers, which has a 24 hour concurrent peak of 191 users.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Gotham Knights really should have been the GAAS push and not Suicide Squad.
At the absolute minimum people would care more about Batgirl, Robin and Nightwing skins over anyone but maybe Harley.

Could also sell way more popular characters than Suicide Squad allows
Batman
Catwoman
Green Arrow
Black Canary
Batwoman
Etc

Last edited:

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Studio is gone.

Literally no company on Earth, no investor - whether that's Nintendo, Sony, or the Saudis - is willing to double-down for another 6-7 years, just to find out they lost money again. What a waste of capital.

The sad thing is a new Batman Arkham game by Rocksteady is about as safe a bet as it gets.

Oct 25, 2017
The moment that Battlepass image got leaked, the game's failure was obvious. Honestly, I just don't see how this model would work for a game like that. And I guess that's the main issue here, their main focus is to make a live service without consideration of how a game can work with it while still being engaging.
Sad thing is you could actually do so much cool shit with Gotham Knights in its place but WB pushed Suicide Squad

Like imagine Season 2 of Gotham Knights being "Titans" themed and Red Arrow is the new character, Slade or Cheshire come to Gotham and Nightwing and Red Arrow have a co-op chapter kicking them out of Gotham.

you could literally do tons of those

A Birds of Prey villain is trying to move in on Gotham, here's Black Canary to team up with Batgirl to take them down.

Season 3.... Batman Beyond
Batman really wasn't supposed to die so Terry comes back in time to stop it.
Terry Batman is the new character(since its post game he includes all his overpowered abilities like flying and stealth camo)

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
Do we have any idea how much Anthem cost to develop?

This has had substantially fewer sales and players than Anthem from the start, there's a very real possibility it is a bigger financial flop.

Yeah. Anthem was a dev-Hell riddled failure, but it was a decade ago. This had about as long a dev cycle, while costs have increased, AND it failed even harder.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
On the bright side it's good that failures this big come from doing virtually everything wrong. This is following through on a project that has every indication it should have been shelved.

You have to pivot when Anthem comes out in 2019 and fails. You have to pivot when The Division 2 underperforms. You have to pivot when Activision is willing to let go of Destiny, and Destiny 2 goes free to play. You can't be half a decade behind the audience.

Warner Bros. Games canceled a 5th Arkham game, apparently months (or even a few weeks) before it was set to be announced. If they had done the same with Suicide Squad KTJL then Rocksteady would now be four years into a different project.

Praetorpwj

Nov 21, 2017

Nah I'd rather they do something else. The team that made Arkham series great is long gone and after KTJL I don't particularly want them in DC land again.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
The majority of folks that made the Arkham games left the studio long ago.

Given they're $200M in the hole, Rocksteady very likely won't exist a year from now. At least not as a AAA developer.
Are they actually $200M in the hole? The wording was kind of weird. Hogwarts was such a big boost last year I can't see them being that just from SS's release...

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
I have zero sympathy for the corporation chasing GAAS slop - they deserved this. A shame that it will only really hurt the developers who don't deserve it.

That's the thing, though. The people making these poor decisions are precisely the ones who will be most insulated from the fallout. So a lack of sympathy is irrelevant. It will only get people fired who did what they were told to do as well as they could.

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
The worst part about this whole thing, is that at no point in time was this game something most people were excited for. Just about everyone thought it sounded bad, then we saw it and thought it looked bad, then they showed more and we really disliked it so they delayed it a bit to fix some stuff, but it still didn't fix the overall problem of it just sounding like a bad game, and a terrible game for the Arkham devs to be wasting there time on.

Just disappointment all around for everyone.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's honestly impressive how misaligned the developers and the audience were with this one.

A live service game that's all about damage numbers going up from a developer renowned for singleplayer games
A game starring the the sucide squad that no one really cares about
A game about fighting and killing the justice league, characters people would have had much rather a game about
A sad send off to the Arkham trilogy

MadDogTannen

Feb 21, 2023
Their biggest selling game and one of the biggest overall games of the year was a single player game

Maybe do more of those

Cryoteck

Nov 2, 2017
No surprise. The game always looked mediocre and bland. I'm surprised they didn't see the same things everyone else did after that first preview was released. I'm also surprised they invested so much into the Suicide Squad, characters who are not that popular compared to the DC A-list. Apart from Harley, I don't think the other characters are popular at all.

They could have invested the money into finally giving us a proper Superman game. Or, honestly, I would have settled for a proper single-player game of just about any other DC character instead of a GAAS.
I think the response to the trailer for the first suicide squad movie (the one with bohemian rhapsody) was far more consequential than any of us realized.

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing is topping Anthem I feel like
I still don't understand why Anthem wasn't just Mass Effect adjacent.
Andromeda got fucked up and then Anthem was something nobody wanted.

Let Andromeda establish that universe and work as the main single player portion then Mass Effect Anthem is the co-op GAAS element.

Would have helped Anthem and likely the Mass Effect franchise as well.

Oct 25, 2017
No surprise. The game always looked mediocre and bland. I'm surprised they didn't see the same things everyone else did after that first preview was released. I'm also surprised they invested so much into the Suicide Squad, characters who are not that popular compared to the DC A-list. Apart from Harley, I don't think the other characters are popular at all.

They could have invested the money into finally giving us a proper Superman game. Or, honestly, I would have settled for a proper single-player game of just about any other DC character instead of a GAAS.
Its just complete stubbornness,
Montreal was making a Suicide Squad game which at the time made complete sense.
Wasn't coming together so it shifted to Rocksteady, should have called it there and taken the relatively smaller hit

maabus1999

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They're not $200 million "in the hole". Revenue declined by $200 million relative to the significant Hogwarts Legacy anomaly that was the previous year.
No revenue was down 400 million YoY, the 200 million was the net income loss basically:

"Starting with Studios, the $400 million+ year-over-year decline during Q1 was primarily due to the very tough comp we faced in games against the success of Hogwart's Legacy last year in the first quarter, in conjunction with the disappointing Suicide Squad release this past quarter, which we impaired, leading to a $200 million impact to EBITDA during the first quarter,"

beat

Oct 28, 2017
Live Service is not easy. I never got the obsession with it.
It's like when Curt Schilling thought he could become as rich as Bill Gates by merely creating and launching a WOW competitor, except instead of a dilettante baseball player, it's executives who've spent years in this industry.