• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is this a good list?

• Definitely

Votes: 298 48.8%
  • Nah it's missing something

Votes: 205 33.6%
  • -Hold my beer, i can do better

Votes: 40 6.5%
  • It's a bad year for games fight me i dare you

Votes: 68 11.1%

• Total voters

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Very safe list. The three of those I played struck me more as "good" rather than great or particularly exceptional though. Didn't play inscription but glad to see it got a nom.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
At least Psychonauts 2 is nominated for their Best Story, Music and Art awards.

Dec 27, 2019
Seattle
Deaths Door is missing too, but i guess the indie quota was already met
And Wildermyth. And Loop Hero. And Unsighted.

Ton of great indie games that were well-reviewed are missing. And I know, it's IGN. They are what they are. And they probably have a ton of people contributing to the list, so it's going to end up being kind of bland. But I hope some of these indies make the lists elsewhere.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
For everyone saying it was a weak year, there are an awful lot of games being left off lists that feel wrong :)

Oct 25, 2017
Of their list, I have played:
  • Halo Infinite
  • Inscryption
  • Metroid Dread
  • Resident Evil Village
I'd give it to Inscryption I guess.

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
Is Death's Door really a goty contender? It's was solid game, buts it's tedious post game to unlock the true ending left alot to be desired….

I mean, for me it is, absolutely. I can totally understand how for some others it wouldn't be but it's one of the best games I played this year and I won't miss a chance to prop it up.

Granted though, it's exclusion from GOTY lists is much less surprising to me than the other two games I mentioned.

arrado

Jan 1, 2020
Still feel like these 2021 GOTY lists aren't that impressive. There just isn't a true GOTY worthy game this year.

It's almost like being a 'solid' game that didn't fuck up in some way is enough to make the list

Having said that.. Returnal is my GOTY

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I mean, for me it is, absolutely. I can totally understand how for some others it wouldn't be but it's one of the best games I played this year and I won't miss a chance to prop it up.

Granted though, it's exclusion from GOTY lists is much less surprising to me than the other two games I mentioned.
its in best indie category for IGN (not this overall goty list)

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
Returnal is there so therefore it is valid. Even if we know Deathloop will end up winning.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
All things considered, seems like an alright list.

People really slept on Guardians of the Galaxy though. I don't blame them, I'm bored with Marvel so I did too until an few weeks ago. But that game is the best Mass Effect since 2. I hope I gets some GotY love.

jack.

Oct 27, 2017
I had fun with Deathloop but I really don't think it deserves to be on all of these GOTY lists.

Replace it with Psychonauts and maybe find a way to squeeze Guardians of the Galaxy in there and it's a pretty good list.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Deathloop is this year's most overrated game. Forza is there though so it's all good.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
No Psychonauts 2 means the list is irrelevant. :|

at least they didn't nominate Twelve Minutes, I guess?

Yeah.....everything about Psychonauts 2 was amazing. Forza over Psychonauts 2 is ridiculous. It's a car racing game. There's nothing special about it. It's fine, but that's it. It's a standard car racing game that has been done a million times. Psychonauts 2 has so much creativity in it and the level design is incredible.

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly curious, why was it a bummer for you? It wasn't my GOTY but it was extremely well made and a lot of fun.

I dunno if it's just me getting older or having played too many of these games, but Rift Apart just did nothing for me. From the weapons to the setpieces to the enemies, it just all rang very hollow with me. I got the platinum in it and I don't even remember any specific level besides the icy research outpost

It's still good and well constructed for what it is, but the reviews made it sound like we were in for a masterpiece

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
*checks for Returnal*

Alright we're good

1e5.gif

Yeah i'm still salty after the game awards.

Meanwhile Deathloop must've budgeted some real payola for awards season

Blindy

Nov 16, 2017
R&C and Deathloop over Psychonauts is unforgivable.
R&C was a better experience than Psychonauts 2 for me but I played the latter on an XB1, not that it excuses the terrible performance Psychonauts 2 was for it.

That being said, Psychonauts 2 deserved to be here but outside of that omission, it's a fine list. Didn't play all the games listed here.

CTRON

Jul 16, 2020
Ctrl + F Guilty Gear Strive...and fighting games continue to get ignored by the mainstream press. On the plus side, at least Forza Horizon 5 got a nomination.

CJCW?

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty good list, actually. Bonus points for Inscryption being included, I was worried it would get overlooked for being both an indie and a deckbuilder.

I'm surprised by all the Psychonauts 2 posts on the first page. I had a good time with the game and it'll probably be on my GOTY list, but it's a game I can totally understand people not being into.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We have to stop using this argument. Otherwise, what is the point in having the system at all, we might as well just give it to the highest reviewed game and call it a day. Especially if it is from one singular outlet. It is possible for a game to review well and also not vibe with the majority of a site.

Lots of people on this website tint their discourse towards whats (they think is) popular and what they like. I remember the slow exposure of Microsoft Flight Simulator and people being surprised not only was it a big budget (AAA) title, its a multi million seller! A lot of the times it feels like people think the only good games out there are the ones that gets threads on the first page of Gaming.

I cant wait for Paste Magazine to do their end of year roundups because this website reacts so well to it .