• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
This is a mildly related very interesting read.

www.newyorker.com

How the Cover Song Conquered Movie Trailers

The production of custom-tailored, trailer-ready, high-drama cover songs has become a cottage industry.

I don't have a problem with any specific genre, but it's important that the song tonally matches the trailer. And at least try to be a little bit creative. I'm bored of Hallelujah covers and 'sober' covers of heavier songs.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know what? OP is right, we need less hip-hop in game trailers.

We need more noise in game trailers. If the next trailer for FF16 isn't scored by this, Square Enix, you've lost a customer.

Coolluck

Oct 27, 2017
OP, what are you even asking for here? Because there's a really uncharitable reading that's already been touched on. Seems like you want everything to have original music. That's a big ask when these are just big ads and ads tend to use licensed music.

Coldman

Oct 25, 2017
apropos of nothing at all, just remembering the gta san andreas reveal thread from the old site

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This thread has convinced me they need to use it more.

1ZUTLX0.jpg
That's not true, and the funny part is that OP is mostly whining about American games, with all these examples they didn't provide.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
Lol. It really isn't.

In some parts of the word, hiphop is tryhard and cringe.

Also lol at mumble rap.

Those parts of the world are largely overshadowed in terms of market influence/impact by places where hip-hop is the most popular. Just because some places like X doesn't mean Y isn't the most popular on a global scale. It's like if you said GTA5 or Minecraft isn't the most popular game in the world because Japan likes other games more.

Legit saying "mumble rap" in 2021 is cringe everywhere on Earth, though lol

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like a lot of times it just doesn't totally/emotionally match the content. Not just games obviously. I also often dislike hype/teaser trailers as shown by my post history as I feel it doesn't portray the tone of the film, game, show etc either. So nothing new there from me.

A recent example I can think of, and I know why they did it and I've heard the director speak on this themselves. But was Lovecraft country. I've been enjoying the show, and sometimes the modern rap/hip hop songs work in specific scenes but often times it just feels very mischaracterized for the scene.

I won't beg for OST's in every game and trailer OP. But I can understand the position of wanting music that fits tonally in the scene and I find Rap and Hip Hop very difficult to land that properly even though I like the music.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Glad to see that the masterpiece that is the FFXV launch trailer has already been mentioned

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
It could be worse, we could have some Taylor Swift, Grande, Gaga's songs in those trailers, then we will be truly fucked.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It could be worse, we could have some Taylor Swift, Grande, Gaga's songs in those trailers, then we will be truly fucked.
That would indeed be just as bad, if not worse. Just putting music into a scene because it's popular and maybe has a tangential theme doesn't make it suited for film or game music lol. I'm playing returnal at a part with amazing orchestral score. And just thinking about having them blasting Taylor Swift or something makes me start laughing uncontrollably.

Tart Toter 9K

Oct 25, 2017
Hip-hop/rap is not even close to being the most overused and annoying music choice in game trailers.
That award goes to the 'breathy vocal indie cover of popular song'.

misterb2001

Oct 28, 2017
The Assassins Creed Brotherhood advert with Tinie Tempahs Pass Out is the absolute pinnacle of games trailers containing hip hop music.

Samawati

Sep 15, 2019
Yeah I'm with you OP. How can I cry hype tears over this toy commercial with all this nigger music drowning out my excitement?
Scream

That said tho, I don't think I agree with OP, but I am sick of media (not just games) in general using hip-hop when they want to convey an air of edginess, aggression, or danger. Extra points when there is nan a negro to be seen anywhere in the ting. It's just extremely corny to me.

I still think it's still underutilised as far as being treated as a serious musical/thematic vehicle goes. Only mainstream exception that immediately comes to mind is Into the Spider-Verse.

KingKunta

Nov 10, 2018
lol This thread is ass to me. All I'm really reading is, "pls take your hippity hop out my games". I understand everyone has a preference, I don't give a fuck about a lot of rap music, but its still one of my fav genres and I've been wanting it to be on games trailers and in games since i was a kid. But what, only like certain rock or metal can be slapped on trailers these days? That's the only thing that fits? ...I don't get it. Just switch everything back to just rock, yasss.

Man fuck that,

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021
Nah they need to use it more. It's the most popular music among younger audiences by far. Boomers just have to deal.

The future is now old man

Status
Not open for further replies.