• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree OP but only a little, like the MK music is so unfitting. also they make Streamers have to mute the trailers because lmao DMCA

Though it works for some games! The Saints Row trailer with Power is fantasic.

Last edited:

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021
Streaming sites are the biggest examples too. They are dominated by hip hop artists. Makes sense game companies are finally advertising using music their target audience actually listens to

xxbrothawizxx

Nov 1, 2017
Gainesville, FL
That's because they just started calling everything with a drum and snare beat or a short rap section hip-hop, not because it actually is.
Why did they add those musical stylings to their songs? Yea.

Yeah I'm with you OP. How can I cry hype tears over this toy commercial with all this nigger music drowning out my excitement?

Choked on my sub laughing. Was worth it.

I can see where OP is coming from in certain cases, but there was a lot of generic music from other genres; and I remember the backlash from the MK trailers that I had never seen previously.

The Savage MK11 trailer is probably my favorite.

Last edited:

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Music brings out the worst opinions I think.

Jhn

Oct 28, 2017
Do some of you genuinely think that not liking hip-hop makes you racist?

Net_Wrecker

Oct 25, 2017
If gaming side never talked about music again it would be too soon. Absolute clown shoes every time.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Im not a hip hop fan but I think its all good as long as it fits, def better than putting dubstep or bangarang on every fucking trailer. My preference would be more original content or lesser known licensed tracks.

brenobnfm

Sep 28, 2019
You know you can just look the numbers up, right?

I did, Hip-hop is the most popular genre in America when the data comes from streaming services, because streaming is mostly used by Gen Z, where hip-hop is in fact the most popular genre with ease. Rock is still the most popular overall but it will be surpassed soon by Hip-hop. On the rest of the world though, zero chance hip-hop is close to be the most popular genre.

I'll stop here, i don't want to look like i'm going on a crusade against Hip-hop, i just think it's lame as fuck this americancentric view of culture regarding the rest of the world, almost like American tastes are being pushed down our throats, although it's to be expected since it's an American site.

4972559fc34e323ddd0e737a2502c05f.jpg

Deleted member 5086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I did, Hip-hop is the most popular genre in America when the data comes from streaming services, because streaming is mostly used by Gen Z, where hip-hop is in fact the most popular genre with ease. Rock is still the most popular overall but it will be surpassed soon by Hip-hop. On the rest of the world though, zero chance hip-hop is close to be the most popular genre.

I'll stop here, i don't want to look like i'm going on a crusade against Hip-hop, i just think it's lame as fuck this americancentric view of culture regarding the rest of the world, almost like American tastes are being pushed down our throats, although it's to be expected since it's an American site.
Are you for fucking real dude...

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Dismissive Commentary Around Black Culture
Sales, streams, and radio play.

Even then it's not hip hop by any research done I've seen. It's rock and then pop.
And that's completely ignoring what people actually listen to across the world.
Come to Europe - any country and attend any public event and marvel at the rich tapestry of folk music and exactly zero hip hop XD

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
It's always interesting to me when art made primarily by black people is seen as "being forced down people's throats." Or conflated with the hegemony of American media/culture.

Order

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Even then it's not hip hop by any research done I've seen. It's rock and then pop.
And that's completely ignoring what people actually listen to across the world.
Come to Europe - any country and attend any public event and marvel at the rich tapestry of folk music and exactly zero hip hop XD
your research is wrong

literally just google most popular genre in the world godamn

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Where are you guys seeing rock music as the most popular?

I can kinda buy pop, given it tends to straddle the lines between genres anyway, but just like looking at the most popular songs in the world that don't neccessarily end up popular in America, I don't think there's many I would call rock music

Samawati

Sep 15, 2019
Most popular worldwide =/= most listened genre in every region. If I throw a dart on the globe and travel there, chances are I won't hear Finnish folk music, but I probably will encounter hip-hop there.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
your research is wrong

literally just google most popular genre in the world godamn

I did and it's rock (pop is hard to quantify).

Hip hip isn't even the most popular in the US, so it's not even that you're conflating that with the world.

You seem to be basing this on spotify. That's just incredible, if you are. Are you really doing this?

Or is this another in-joke I'm not aware of.

xxbrothawizxx

Nov 1, 2017
Gainesville, FL
Are you for fucking real dude...
Tbf, this argument needs to strictly define popularity. Hip hop/Rap is the most popular by many metrics (currently and in the US) but not when you define popularity as favorite genre. Rock and others still win out. Whether that matters considering consumer habits is another conversation as well as why research firms traditionally meant to increase profit are concerned with this distinction now.

Lepi

Mar 24, 2020
User Banned (2 Weeks): Dismissing Concerns Around Racism; Account in Junior Phase
Are people seriously suggesting this is racist? Christ. It also means nothing how popular it is, it's about tone. If they did it for a horror game for example the tone and atmosphere would be destroyed so "it's a really genre popular" is just a stupid statement all round.

Order

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I did and it's rock (pop is hard to quantify).

Hip hip isn't even the most popular in the US, so it's not even that you're conflating that with the world.

You seem to be basing this on spotify. That's just incredible, if you are. Are you really doing this?

Or is this another in-joke I'm not aware of.
my nigga i don't know what country you from but they need to teach y'all how to read and google apparently

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
Where are you guys seeing rock music as the most popular?

I can kinda buy pop, given it tends to straddle the lines between genres anyway, but just like looking at the most popular songs in the world that don't neccessarily end up popular in America, I don't think there's many I would call rock music
Rockrulez.com of course. Where are you searching?

TeeKoo

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 22, 2020
Hip Hop is trash, but I don't really care about any well-known lisenced tracks on trailers. They are usually so embarrasing, because they try to be "cool".

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This the real question, outside of MK, Godfall and Cyberpunk, feels like we grasping at straws here.
All I can think of is MK, which yeah, don't fit at all.

But maybe we should put an end to this thread? OP isn't responding, there's no real discussion here and its mostly just arguing.

Dr. Mario

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Why did they add those musical stylings to their songs? Yea.
Yeah I'm not saying hip-hop was not hugely influential, but going from something relatively clearly defined as a lyrical MC and DJ to calling everything with a snare beat hip-hop, might as well call Blues the largest genre in the world for influencing both rnb/hip-hop and rock. This is a very minor pet peeve though, if you want to call average pop with a snare drum like Dua Lipa or The Weeknd hip-hop then sure it's the most popular genre, but I think that's where some of the confusion in this thread comes from.

As for the topic, I don't think it fits very well with most games, but I think this is actually more a problem with the games than with the music, in that there are so few contemporary games with real people, that contemporary licensed music would fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.