• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
ImperatorRome.jpg

• Release Date: April 25th
  • Developer: Paradox Development Studio
  • Publisher: Paradox Interactive
  • Platforms: Steam, GOG, Paradox Store (PC, Mac, Linux)
  • Price: £34.99/€39.99
Alexander. Hannibal. Caesar. These great men and dozens like them shaped the destiny of a continent. Mighty kings, clever generals and would-be gods made their mark on the ancient Mediterranean. Around this sea, close knit nations tested their mettle and virtue against each other in fierce combat, their cultural and political legacy now inseparable from what we understand as Western Civilization. But nothing was guaranteed. Can you change the course of history? Set in the tumultuous centuries from Alexander's Successor Empires in the East to the foundation of the Roman Empire, Imperator: Rome invites you to relive the pageantry and challenges of empire building in the classical era. Manage your population, keep an eye out for treachery, and keep faith with your gods.

A living world of characters with varying skills and traits that will change over time. They will lead your nation, govern your provinces and command your armies and fleets. Citizens, freemen, tribesmen and slaves - each population with its own culture and religion. Whether they fill your armies, fill your coffers or fill your colonies, keep an eye on their happiness - your success depends on their satisfaction. Invest in buildings, roads and defences to make your kingdom stronger and richer. Will you take advantage of your resources for local strength or trade excess goods to spread the wealth around?

Manage the senate in a Republic, hold your court together in a monarchy, answer to the clans in a tribal system. Migrating barbarians may sack or settle your best land, while disloyal governors or generals can turn against you - taking their armies with them! Choose your approach before battle to counter the stratagems of your foes. Each culture has a unique way of waging war. Romans and Celts have different options available to them. Unlock unique bonuses, abilities and units.

My play session starts, as do most great historical epics, by stabbing a pig to get people to like me again. I'd found my entry point to a genre I'd been wistfully gazing at from afar, like a lovesick dagger looking at a sexy pig. I walked in terrified, and I left itching to get my hands on Imperator: Rome - Rock Paper Shotgun
That's what it all comes down to in Imperator: Rome—crunchy stats, and lots of them. But give it enough time, and, squint real hard, and you might start to see the movements of nations striving for greatness in a massive, detailed simulation. - PC Gamer

Last edited:

Blastronaut

Oct 27, 2017
Looking forward to this one and have watched several YouTube vids in preparation. Hoping I can start as an Iberian minor kingdom and form Greater Iberia!

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Reserved for reviews and useful links. There's plenty of lets plays on YouTube already from lucky streamers who got their hands on a copy early, including our beautiful bald god Arumba.

If you're a Grand Strategy Fan in general, right not join us in the Grand Strategy Thread too?

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Can't wait.Already pre ordered and patiently waiting for release. Gonna try rome first.

I guess it will unlock at around 6PM CET like all other paradox games?

Teddy

Oct 26, 2017
I've had this preordered for a couple months now, it looks like a really nice blend of CK2 and EU4.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait to smash the Diadochi and restore Persia to greatness

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
updated version of the old engine, clausewitz. called jomini.

not sure on font scaling, but at the very least it should be moddable if i'm understanding the article right.
Wrong, Jomini is a set of tools that goes into Clausewitz and makes the game development much easier (for instance, there is no need to restart the game to see the map changes made). It also would give more tools for modders to modify the game without much difficulty.

But basically, Clausewitz actually became a proper engine with Jomini so kinda correct.

Edit: From your link

Jomini isn't taking over, and Clausewitz isn't going anywhere; the pair are two halves of the same engine. "Clausewitz is a bunch of code that you can use to make games," says Wordsworth. "Theoretically, you could use it to make a city-builder, a strategy game, an FPS … not that it would give you any tools for that, but you could, theoretically.

"Jomini is specifically for the top-down, map-based games. The overall vision is to try and share tech across as many of our projects as possible, so we can make bigger games, better games, faster."
Important to know that Paradox Studios basically didnt have any engine developers until fairly recently, which is how Jomini came to be.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Wrong, Jomini is a set of tools that goes into Clausewitz and makes the game development much easier (for instance, there is no need to restart the game to see the map changes made). It also would give more tools for modders to modify the game without much difficulty.

But basically, Clausewitz actually became a proper engine with Jomini so kinda correct.

oh, sorry. lol i didn't read enough my own link, now i feel bad.

i was going to miss seeing clausewitz at the bottom of the screen. now i don't have to.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
oh, sorry. lol i didn't read enough my own link, now i feel bad.
I mean, it isnt something to feel bad, as I said, Jomini made Clausewitz a proper engine for once and the tools might make for some new and interesting modding community, hopefully at the levels of HoI4.

jtb

Oct 25, 2017
Really interested about how the timeline feels... generally, I lean towards tighter, narrower settings in Paradox games (Stellaris endgame is particularly dull) but you can get a little railroad-y in the shorter timelines.

strudelkuchen

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks Hella, eonden!
UE4/CK2 are barely playable for me, even with bigger font mods, due to poor eyesight.
I was hoping that future games would support proper UI/font scaling.

edit: just watched Arumba's video and everything looks like twice the size of the older games, lovely!

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Can't wait. Games with Rome in the title are basically auto-buy for me, there are way too few o them. I've only played Stellaris from Paradox but I've been meaning to try others, this is the perfect opportunity.

Pollux

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's finally here?!? Thank god. Time to lose another 1000 hours of my life to yet another paradox game

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait. Games with Rome in the title are basically auto-buy for me, there are way too few o them. I've only played Stellaris from Paradox but I've been meaning to try others, this is the perfect opportunity.

Likely a good place to jump in for PDX map games as they've been getting progressively more user friendly from CK2 > EU4 > HOI4.

Since I seem to spend most of my time with CK2, I'm excited to see the QoL enhancements with Imperator. I know bouncing between even CK2 & EU4 feels almost like night & day to me on the UI front.

PhotogDoug

Nov 10, 2017
Dayton, OH
Paradox games like CK2 and EUV I've always wanted to dive headfirst into but usually get lost in the systems. Stellaris is the only one that I could really stick with and see any kind of self-progression or improvement.

Hopefully this game will be kinder to me than the previous titles because I really love the time period and setting.

Nov 8, 2017
Got it preordered on GMG, will hopefully get a key in time to preload and jump straight in on Thursday after Endgame or maybe Friday depending on timezone fuckery.

Nov 8, 2017

Important to know that Paradox Studios basically didnt have any engine developers until fairly recently, which is how Jomini came to be.

I'm still blown out that they still haven't decoupled the rendering from game logic in such CPU bound games. At speed 5 no computer in the world isn't CPU bottlenecking hard as fuck and causing huge framedrops because of it.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still blown out that they still haven't decoupled the rendering from game logic in such CPU bound games. At speed 5 no computer in the world isn't CPU bottlenecking hard as fuck and causing huge framedrops because of it.
Pretty sure Jomini allowed for that to happen, as they have talked about using graphic card for rendering nowadays. You gotta realize that these games are made by basically a group of 20 people and they didnt really have an engine developer until 3-4 years ago.
(Edit, they are also adding this retroactively into EU4 next big patch supposedly, as they said they learned some lessons from the I:R developers)

The game would also go to a crawl regardless of graphics, as the graphics arent that big of a load when comparing with the huge number of AI / decisions happening at the same time.

vacantseas

Oct 27, 2017
Paradox games like CK2 and EUV I've always wanted to dive headfirst into but usually get lost in the systems. Stellaris is the only one that I could really stick with and see any kind of self-progression or improvement.

Hopefully this game will be kinder to me than the previous titles because I really love the time period and setting.

This is kind of how I am with these Paradox games. i've put 30 some hours into CK2, which I know is nothing, but I seem to grasp that a lot more than I do EUIV, which I've only dabbled in for a few hours before bouncing off it....despite it being right up my alley. Stellaris I can get into without a problem, and manage the systems and actually enjoy myself.

This game looks very interesting, and I hope it's a nice mix of CK2 and EUIV with the ease of "getting into it" like Stellaris.

Nov 8, 2017
Pretty sure Jomini allowed for that to happen, as they have talked about using graphic card for rendering nowadays. You gotta realize that these games are made by basically a group of 20 people and they didnt really have an engine developer until 3-4 years ago.
(Edit, they are also adding this retroactively into EU4 next big patch supposedly, as they said they learned some lessons from the I:R developers)

The game would also go to a crawl regardless of graphics, as the graphics arent that big of a load when comparing with the huge number of AI / decisions happening at the same time.

I'm aware of the team sizes but I'm also aware of the extreme profitability of the company, which could definitely have facilitated a handful of extra staff. It's not that the technical problems they faced were insurmountable, it's that they were unwilling to make the necessary investments in their common engine until relatively recently.

The game logic slowing down is inevitable (at least until they can make some real leaps in multithreading, which should be their next top priority) but by decoupling the rendering, we can have smooth framerates and responsive controls while the game is thinking. Hoi4 feels horrible because it becomes unresponsive and looks massively choppy even when your gpu utilisation is extremely low and you have multiple idle or underutilised cores. I really hope what you're saying is true and imperator has implemented this, but that interview made it sound like it was still a ways off.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait for that feeling of spending the first 100 hours in a new Paradox game without knowing exactly what's happening. Plus Rome. I pre-ordered this months ago and finally only several days left.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I'm aware of the team sizes but I'm also aware of the extreme profitability of the company, which could definitely have facilitated a handful of extra staff. It's not that the technical problems they faced were insurmountable, it's that they were unwilling to make the necessary investments in their common engine until relatively recently.

The game logic slowing down is inevitable (at least until they can make some real leaps in multithreading, which should be their next top priority) but by decoupling the rendering, we can have smooth framerates and responsive controls while the game is thinking. Hoi4 feels horrible because it becomes unresponsive and looks massively choppy even when your gpu utilisation is extremely low and you have multiple idle or underutilised cores. I really hope what you're saying is true and imperator has implemented this, but that interview made it sound like it was still a ways off.
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...-development-diary-9th-of-april-2019.1164749/
(In part)

While Boromir is (was?) right, we still managed to replicate some of the improvements they have made. The main one is that the colorizing of the provinces on the map is now done mostly on the GPU, while in the past it used to consume precious CPU cycles to display whatever horrible experiment in bordergore your game was about.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
This is kind of how I am with these Paradox games. i've put 30 some hours into CK2, which I know is nothing, but I seem to grasp that a lot more than I do EUIV, which I've only dabbled in for a few hours before bouncing off it....despite it being right up my alley. Stellaris I can get into without a problem, and manage the systems and actually enjoy myself.

This game looks very interesting, and I hope it's a nice mix of CK2 and EUIV with the ease of "getting into it" like Stellaris.
CK2 I find is actually a lot more approachable than EUIV, despite the plethora of systems. The game mostly plays itself, if you're willing to do things suboptimally. It's not like EUIV or HOI4 where the learning curve is more like a cliff.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
I am so ready to try Arumba's "snowballing Migratory Tribe" strategy.

FSP

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
London, United Kingdom
Because the ancient era is such a great sandbox, and the direction Paradox have taken IR, modding this game is going to produce some really interesting stuff.

Total conversion mods for fantasy settings seem properly achievable, for example.