Hawky

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Abu Dhabi, UAE
Disclaimer: Before you misinterpret my topic, I have to let you know it regards to loot grinds in games like Diablo and similar games, not the lootboxes debacle. And there will be some terminologies that some of you may not be familiar with, so I'll explain some of it:

Random rolls: A specific loot item that has combinations of traits and perks that are randomized each time you get them

Perfect roll (Aka god-roll): Getting a loot item with a powerful combination of traits and perks.

Grinding: A long and arduous activity that involves doing the same activities repeatedly to get rare loot

So… loot grinds. The bane for some players over the years or an element that gives other players to grind every day to get more powerful and get the gear they want. Over the years, there has been many arguments and debates over whether loot grinds are just a cheap tactic to psychologically manipulate players to play loot games every day

For this topic, I'm gonna give my take about why loot grinds are fun and enjoyable, and how it to relates to the Destiny series at hand (Especially with the problems that Destiny 2 is facing in terms of the endgame). I'm not gonna discuss about the problems of Destiny 2's PvP because that's a whole different debate and I don't have a hand in it

So…. why do some players enjoy playing loot games? Especially games like Diablo 3? Because those players enjoy the grind of getting the loot they wanted and building their character to be able to slay bad guys with more damage and feel like a god. There's a sense of excitement when you got the loot you really wanted after grinding for hours every day, knowing that you'll feel like a god while slaying your enemies.

So how it relates to Destiny? Let's start things off that vanilla Destiny did have various problems. Aside from the story, the endgame was pretty much a painful grind as Vault of Glass was the only activity that got you endgame gear and weapons (Let's not forget over the fact legendary engrams initially gave blues before Bungie fixed it). And Exotics were pretty much rare to get alongside the fact that the Exotic Weapon Bounties were a huge grind to accomplish. However, I'll go with devil's advocate and argue that the rarity of the legendary gear and Exotics throughout Year 1 is what made them feel unique. There was a reason why Gjallarhorn was a huge thing in the Destiny community back in the day. Not only it was very powerful and made you feel you could take on the whole world, it was pretty much hard to get and you pretty much had to spend hours to get it. The feeling when getting Gjallarhorn for the first time is pretty much unbeatable. Hell, Fatebringer was a huge fanfare due to its excellent perk synergy. Once you got it, no other Handcannons can surpass it.

Mind you, they did make some improvements with the endgame by making it less of a painful ordeal starting with House of Wolves and they made further improvements with The Taken King and Rise of Iron. However, there were some elements of the community who felt frustrated with the game as it entered Year 2 and Year 3. I'm not talking about the ones who lamented over Exotics costing a leg and arm to get them and weren't happy over the idea of getting Exotics through long questlines. I'm talking about people who were frustrated about random rolls.

Random rolls are pretty much huge elements in loot games. It gives players a reason to grind every day. However, it made other players feel like pulling their hairs out knowing they didn't get the god-roll they wanted. If you aren't familiar, there were huge fanfares over Eyasluna, Imago Loop, and Grasp of Malok due to the fact they were powerful weapons to use. However, the grind to get the perfect roll for both of these weapons were long and tedious. It didn't even help that there were lots of perk pools for weapons back in Year 2, making grinding for the perfect roll much more painful. While there's a good argument saying that you don't have to grind for the perfect roll, the fact remains that your weapons feel useless if they don't have a perfect roll. Even if you say that you were satisfied with an average roll for Grasp of Malok, it was pretty much an admittance that you will never get the god-roll Grasp of Malok and had to settle with an average roll.

But it's not just loot grinds that gives players a reason to play, but incentives as well. Gear and weapons that feel unique gives enough incentives for people to even play the most challenging endgame activities. Year 3 along with Age of Triumph update included armor ornaments for gear that gives them a unique look as well as Exotic versions of the Raid weapons were incentives for players to do weekly raid playlist for every week. Nightfalls as well Weekly Story Playlist and Weekly Heroic Strikes gave people incentives to do those activities to get enough currency to buy legendary gear in addition to cosmetics (emotes, sparrows, ships, weapon ornaments, etc..).

While there were debates over the community over which era was the pinnacle of Destiny. Some say it's Year 1 after HoW's release and some say the early months of Year 2. But it's well known that Year 3 including Age of Triumph was the pinnacle as it gave players lots of incentives to do in the endgame. Many Destiny players hoped that Destiny 2 would be the continuation of Destiny 1 and for Bungie to expand on game systems from D1 and take action on the lessons they've learned throughout the years they've developed with Destiny.

2 months later, Destiny 2's endgame is in a dire state similarly to vanilla Destiny 1 (but much worse). There are reasons why the endgame is very lacking.

With the removal of random rolls, it was a blessing for some players as they prefer to get the weapon they want and not worry if it has bad perk rolls. However, it killed the incentive for other players to grind because whatever dupe of weapons they're already, it'll always have the same roll. There's a good point to make about why static rolls are bad. Because with static rolls, a bad weapon is bad forever. With random rolls, the bad weapon could be good with a certain combination of perks. Static rolls would be acceptables if there were hundreds of weapons, but that's not the case. And it doesn't help that the weapons in Faction Rally and Iron Banner are re-skins. While there were re-skinned weapons in Destiny 1, their perks and how the gun feels to play are different from each other. Lord High Fixer and Fatebringer may share the same model, but they play differently from each other.

But lack of random rolls isn't the only problem. The biggest issue is lack of incentives. While some people say that Destiny 2's endgame lack content, what it truly lacks are incentives. There are no incentives to do the Raid or Trials because you'll get their respective weapons through clan engrams. There are no incentives to do adventures (Aside for some lore) because they don't give rewards for max level. And there are no incentives to do Lost Sectors because they're nothing more than linear caves where you kill a major and the rewards are no good either. And most importantly, endgame gear

don't feel unique. Raid weapons don't have raid-specific perks into them, so that makes less incentive to get them. And Strikes? Not much point in doing them with the lack of strike-specific loot and not being able to choose the Strike you wanna play. You don't even get more powerful where you can stomp your enemies easily due to them scaling to your power level, which makes it less exciting to get to 305 (Destiny 2's current power level cap). And it doesn't help that you can get to max level easily through weekly milestones or public events which gives players less reasons to do the raid. That's a failure of endgame design as you shouldn't be allowed to get to max level unless you're committed to do the endgame activities like Raiding or Trials.

While at the end of the day you can argue that Destiny is a shooter and they shouldn't bother expanding on the MMO-like elements, that's a disingenuous take. I'd wager that Destiny players didn't play play Destiny for its core gameplay, they played it because of the unique loot and gear. They played it because they enjoyed the grind. While there's a point about playing it because you enjoy it with friends, it's only a matter of time before they get bored and your friends decide it's not worth their time. At this point, Destiny 2 mostly feels like a game where you only play it every Tuesday to finish Weekly Milestones and it's only a short while before you're bored and stop playing it. And with the lack of proper social tools, there's not much point in playing it with friends now, is it?

"Maybe its time to take a break. You don't have keep playing Destiny forever"

I think you're missing the point. There are certain online games where players play it every day because they have fun and they get incentives to play them. World of Warcraft, League of Legends, PUBG, and so on. Hell, Destiny 1 felt that game to Destiny players where they play it every day and never get bored. And it got the point where they got hundreds, if not, thousands of hours in overall gameplay. They wanted Destiny 2 to feel like the game where they can play it every day and have the incentive to do the endgame activities every week. And to tell Destiny players to play other games when they've invested thousands of hours into Destiny is frankly patronising.

"So what exactly the point you're trying to make?"

The point is that Destiny 2 right now lacks incentive in its endgame and the unique gear and loot to get and the feeling of being a space magic god. Destiny 1 may not have been perfect, but it gave lots of incentives for players to play and it made them feel like gods. You may think loot grinds are the devil, but the "devil" gave players incentive to keep playing Destiny. The very fact that Destiny 1 still has a sizeable population in PvP and Strikes (Save for Nightfall and Raids, which makes things harder) shows that players do value incentive to play which Destiny 2 currently lacks.

While Bungie's Weekly Update in 26th October shows promise that Bungie are listening and aiming to fix the problems with the endgame, that doesn't make it acceptable for Destiny 2 to be launched the way, especially with the high expectations from the players. As said before, talk is cheap and actions speaks louder than words. It will take some time before Destiny 2's endgame gets better, that much is known. But I sincerely doubt the community will tolerate another 3 years for it to get better. Bungie don't get the benefit of the doubt this time around. They only got it one time because Destiny 1's development was a huge fumble and there were infighting over whether Destiny should be WoW in Space or Halo 2.0 and had to improve the game over time after its launch. And due to Destiny 2's current state, veteran players have less reasons to trust Bungie and would think twice before pre-ordering Destiny 3 in the future. Hell, some of them already swore not to buy any DLCs for D2.

The veteran players may not matter in the bigger picture, but they did help elevate Destiny and keep Bungie from going under. So it's no surprise that they feel betrayed with the launch of Destiny 2 as a reward for staying loyal with the series.

I have no doubt Destiny 2 will improve, but time will tell if Bungie's Live Team will fulfill their promises and fix the mistakes with the endgame.

Compsiox

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like with Destiny 2 they wanted people to feel like they could complete the game (at least the base game). I feel that their DLC will focus on the long term grind type content and that's not a bad thing if it's done right. It feels good to earn things. Truly earn things.

Deleted member 2321

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Basically agree with everything you said except for this:

2 months later, Destiny 2's endgame is in a dire state similarly to vanilla Destiny 1

D1 was never in a state like D2 is now. Especially Vanilla.

Vanilla was a grind fest AND I LOVED IT.

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
I'm the kind of person who enjoys grinding, but Destiny just never did it for me. I don't know what it is.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a veteran to Destiny, as I only played a little of Destiny 1 because I primarily play PC (I've wanted to play Destiny 1 ever since I first saw it because I LOVE loot-based games), but I have a huge love for loot-based games along with the power fantasy they give you from the gear chase. Destiny 2 changed focus from long-term players to short-term players. There is a gear softcap that makes gear stop dropping above your power level. Once you hit 265, your blue and purple drops will no longer roll above your power level, always at your power level and slightly below. Only way to improve it is through random exotic drops, and weekly rewards that give you gear that is guaranteed to raise your power level. This is in place so that you can catch up easier to players that play the game more, and to be able to reach an endpoint faster.

I think this is bad. Throughout the lifespan of Destiny 1, the hardcore playerbase kept the community alive. Through all of the horrible gear systems, people still played it. So now that Destiny 2 is out, they just get rid of grinds and any reason to play more after you finish your weeklies. It's not hard to see why Destiny 1 players are jaded. They went through 2 years of crap for a good third year, only for Bungie to switch focus to accessibility and people that want a game to "finish" instead of satisfying their long-term players after the community kept on playing through the crappiest parts of the game, because they loved the game and wanted it to improve.

I have over 1000 hours into Borderlands 2. I played it for at least a month when it had no DLC or content updates before I started feeling like the game was slowing down. I was also young back then, with all the time in the world to play. I now have less time, part-time job and school. Yet, I'm already begging for more reasons to keep playing Destiny 2. PvP is all I have now after I do my weeklies.

I like grinding because I like feeling powerful. I like knowing there's somewhere I can improve. I love the chase. The chase is arguably better than outright giving me what I want so much. Destiny 1 at launch had a chase so long you wondered if progression even existed and never got anywhere. To my understanding, Destiny 1 currently has ways for you to progress no matter what you are doing while not just dropping everything into your lap. Meanwhile, Destiny 2 has no chase, it just drops gear into your lap every weekly reset. Removal of skill trees into skill clusters, where you only get 2 options of skill builds, is a step back. Removal of random rolls is a step back. Removal of any reason to keep going after that chase is a step back. I feel like Destiny 2 wants to give you everything because Bungie is scared of the reviewers that played for a few days then complained that they still hadn't "finished" the game. At this moment, I am power level 285. I already feel like I'm maybe a week away from finishing the game. For a game that takes so many elements from MMO's and had a predecessor that was based on long-term players, I'm unsatisfied because it's just turning into a skinner box. There's nothing else making me giving me the chase to progression that so many MMO's and loot-based games give me that allow me to play for so much longer than any other kind of game. All I'm chasing is a higher number that is gated by weekly resets, and that's already getting old. if it were not for the AMAZING gunplay and combat feel, I would have stopped playing already.

There is also a point to be made that PvP balance is also a huge factor into removing gear rolls.

Coincidentally, I just got finished watching 2 in-depth reviews to Destiny 1 after all of it's updates, and then Destiny 2 after a month after launch. I know they are long, but if you have the time to spare, I recommend watching them if you want to understand why people feel like Destiny 2 took 2 steps back for every improvement they actually made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNyMbmjOtW4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPC9k5Bxnxc

Deleted member 2321

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think this is bad. Throughout the lifespan of Destiny 1, the hardcore playerbase kept the community alive. Through all of the horrible gear systems, people still played it ..... They went through 2 years of crap for a good third year,

Not entirely right IMO. Destiny 1 got worse over its lifespan. D2 is the final destination of a path they took with TTK.

I was always worried when we learned that the director of TTK would take over D2 because I knew where it was heading.

TTK came in like a huuuuge equalizer. It flattened the entire game. Nothing stood out after it hit - everything was basically the same. It also introduced infusion and with that destroyed a lot of the fun grind.

People were not chasing gear - they were chasing numbers.

The April Update went even further.

D2 is the result of listening to feedback too much and drawing the wrong conclusions.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Destiny 2 is a good game but it basically feels like a coop shooter with some RPG and social elements slapped on top of it. After you finish the story content (adventures, campaign) you can either do the strike playlist (it's ridiculous you can't even choose what you wanna play) or play the raid (but due to the lack of social features you better have 5 friends at hand!) or just settle in to wait for the weekly reset, spend 2 hours playing, then wait a week again. This is a massive step back considering Destiny 1 had so many different ways to keep you busy and keep things fresh, with always providing something to work towards. Like an endless ladder.

As far as I'm concerned, D2 doesn't have much of an "endgame" to speak of. You can exhaust the meaningful content the game has to offer under 20 hours. You don't really have to work for anything. By the time you complete the campaign your light level will probably be high enough to do everything anyway. Everything just feels too easy and too streamlined. Simplifying the skill trees only made it so that I have basically zero motivation to start another character. It's a really fun game on the short term, but in its current state, I just don't see it having any longetivity.

Snack12367

Oct 28, 2017
I played quite a bit of Destiny 1 back in the day. I enjoy random loot systems. I hate Grinding. In a game like Destiny grinding ruins the pacing of the game.

If I have to play the same raid, the same missions multiple times just to get one item, it's bullshit. It's the reason I don't like WoW. The whole time I'm bored. I'm not enjoying the game because I've done it before.

I've not played Des2 but in Des1 it was a real problem. The issue I found with Destiny so far, is that they've not cracked the pacing. One way to solve this is variety. Why aren't there more weapons? In a game that is all about running and gunning, you should be constantly enjoying a weird and wonderful variety of guns to keep you interested. For me this will always be the biggest problem with the series. Why are we so limited in weapons, when weapons are pretty much the only way to spice the game up?

I know why already. Its because all the variety is in classes and that's so you have to replay the game multiple times to check out each class. The problem is that is also boring as fuck, because you've already done the missions. If the only replayability in your game is the class, then you done fucked up. It should be guns.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Can't stand infusion and mods

Destinys progression system now is the worst in any loot shooter I have ever played.

I love how strikes which are actually good in D2 are a complete waste of time to do because farming public events is time better spent.

They pretty much removed almost all community requirement until the nightfall or raid. I loved farming strikes for engrams and stuff.....

Deleted member 2321

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Broderlands, Divinity and more all employ a loot system that doesn't require you to grind. Thats much better to me than a system where you have to grind to get good loot.

Can´t speak for Divinity, but I sure did a lot of grinding / boss farming in Borderlands.

Much like in Destiny 2 you´d always get something for progressing, but for the really awesome stuff you had to go the extra mile.

OP
OP
Hawky

Hawky

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Abu Dhabi, UAE
Basically agree with everything you said except for this:

D1 was never in a state like D2 is now. Especially Vanilla.

Vanilla was a grind fest AND I LOVED IT.

*Shrugs* Vanilla's only redeeming aspect was the raid. That's how I see it

Given their target audience and no one want to grind as hard as vanilla Destiny or vanilla WoW these days, I think its possible for Bungie to make a happy middle-ground for both casual and hardcore players.

Year 2 (With April Update) and Year 3 shows that's possible from them.

As of now, I'm interested to see how they'll keep players playing for more than 2 weeks with future content.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The only problem I see with grinding for loot in online gaming is that the best you can do is be equal to the top players that play all the time much more than you.

So the best case scenario is you will be equal with the top players, the worst case is you will always be behind them. it forces you to have to play all the time to keep up, only if it's an online loot grind though not talking about a single player loot grind

So if the best case scenario is that you will be equal with the top players gear wise why not just play a multiplayer game that has no gear progression so that you will always be equal with all players gear wise? so you aren't forced to keep up with them or most likely be behind them all the time?

Tickling

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
There is grind and there is grind that feels like grind. Original Destiny had grind but I enjoyed it and it didnt really feel like grinding maybe because I started playing Destiny a bit later. In Destiny 2 it just feels a chore and it doesnt feel fun.

Deleted member 2321

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
*Shrugs* Vanilla's only redeeming aspect was the raid. That's how I see it

Given their target audience and no one want to grind as hard as vanilla Destiny or vanilla WoW these days, I think its possible for Bungie to make a happy middle-ground for both casual and hardcore players.

Year 2 (With April Update) and Year 3 shows that's possible from them.

As of now, I'm interested to see how they'll keep players playing for more than 2 weeks with future content.

If you isolate TTK from the amazing game that it´s based on it is just as flat and shallow as Destiny 2 is right now. Especially after the April update.

EDIT: I´m also fairly convinced that people don´t know what they actually want.

Bungie is probably convinced they gave the people exactly what they asked for.

Last edited:

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
As someone who manages a sportsbetting center where we also run three slot machines (this is in Germany btw) I always see a lot of the same opinions and values that i see in "pro grind" and "pro random stats" gamers in the customers we have that exclusively play on the slotmachines. The chase for the "Jackpot" is an enormous, if not for some the only, reason that they enjoy their time on the slotmachines. Many of them form opinions on how the slotmachines work, why and when they give out big prizes and basically every customer has his own ritualistic ways of approaching or playing a slotmachine. The same things are definitely true for many gamers chasing that god roll as well.
Note that I am not judging any of this as "good" or "bad". I honestly don't have any judgemental feelings about this whatsoever, it's just how people like to spend their time.
I personally do not enjoy this chase and never have but I think it's cool that others can. I am just always surprised at how many similarities there are between the non interactive slotmachine "grind" and the interactive gaming grind.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
EDIT: I´m also fairly convinced that people don´t know what they actually want.

Bungie is probably convinced they gave the people exactly what they asked for.

More like everybody recognizes Destiny for the flawed thing it is, and lots of people have lots of different opinions on how to fix it.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The premise being that it was broken - something I always disagreed with.

You thought Vanilla Destiny was perfect, without flaw, and needed no major improvements requested by so many?

Its problems are foundational. An action RPG that wants to be a shooter, while also a shooter that wants to be an action RPG. And ever since Vanilla they've been tinkering around to fix it.

OP
OP
Hawky

Hawky

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Abu Dhabi, UAE
More like everybody recognizes Destiny for the flawed thing it is, and lots of people have lots of different opinions on how to fix it.
Which is why Destiny series suffers from identity crisis. Its pretty much well known that they fought over what kind of game Destiny should be

As for the players themselves... Some of em want to be simply a shooter where they play plenty of hours, take a break, then return to DLCs. Rinse and repeat. While the others want it to be expanded from the systems design and incentives that were added in Year 2 and Year 3. I'm well aware that its impossible for Destiny 2 to be rival Destiny 1 Year 3 in terms of content in launch, but I don't think its a tall task of them to expand on the game systems they've added and improved over the years.

And like I said before, the veteran players may not matter in the long run as Bungie's target audience. But if they do care an ounce to their veteran community, they could try by giving their players more incentive and unique and rare loot to give them reasons to play for more than 2 weeks.

Deleted member 2321

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You thought Vanilla Destiny was perfect, without flaw, and needed no major improvements requested by so many?

Its problems are foundational. And ever since Vanilla they've been tinkering around to fix it.

No. But I don´t think the systems in vanilla were fundamentally broken and needed to be changed.

Infusion just shifted the grind from Gear (exciting!) to numbers (who cares?)

TTK came in a nicer package and Vanilla (although having the best story in the Destiny universe) needed better storytelling and cutscenes, but the notion that TTK saved a sinking ship or fixed a broken game is just wrong.

People will always complain about Destiny - But in D1 they were at least still playing!

Now people complain and don´t play anymore.

TTK broke more than it "fixed" and led to the very disappointing path we are on right now.

End game loot for showing up every Tuesday - ridiculous.

Last edited:

FroMonk

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I'm the outlier on ERA when I come into threads like this. Destiny 2 was *made* for me. I log in, I do my milestones, I continue to find new stuff in the game, and when I run out of stuff? I put it down and engage with my backlog until the next DLC drops. The thing is, saying "I do my milestones" sounds like boring, I check shit off the list stuff, but milestones are keeping me engaged with parts of the game I don't normally touch, like crucible.

People will always complain about Destiny - But in D1 they were at least still playing!

Now people complain and don´t play anymore.
The players that played a ton of D1 complain and don't play anymore. The people who complained about vanilla D1 left after the first iron banner and only came back just now.

OP
OP
Hawky

Hawky

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Abu Dhabi, UAE
Basically this post nails it.
And given that veteran players are not happy about the current state of D2, I'd say removing the systems from the entirety of Destiny 1 isn't paying off for anyone who wants to play Destiny for more than two weeks.

I know hating Call of Duty is cool and all, but the devs were well-aware enough not to mess too much with the formula in the MP knowing the players wouldn't be happy if they changed it a lot.

You know, for all the talk about Destiny 2 being Destiny 1.5, I'm pretty sure most players would've preferred the latter. Just saying

Edit: The initial post was made out of my ass, so apologies for that

Last edited:

FroMonk

Oct 25, 2017
Concurrent players have dropped by 2 million since launch. It´s not that simple.
Okay, so I'm not just the outlier on ERA. My point stands. I haven't cleared Prestige Raid and run out of shit to do yet, and maybe that's because I just started playing a couple weeks ago on PC, but the game is still fun as hell to play and it feels like there is a solid foundation here. In D1 I left by the time the first Iron Banner came around because I thought the game should have been more about doing fun things than about plinking my scout rifle into a loot cave and hoping for a purple engram that the cryptarch was just going to turn into a blue anyway. By the time I was raid ready, I was tired of the hunt.

FroMonk

Oct 25, 2017
That´s the key!

You´ll run out of stuff to do soon enough. You´ll reach the point eventually.

Just like we console players did.
Ah, but when I run out of shit to do, the first DLC will either be already out, or almost out. ;)

Honestly, the way I see it, they've already posted that they're aware of some of the problems with endgame and are working to fix it. It's just a matter of whether or not they get those fixes in place during a period when they can get players hooked back in. I think variety will be key, because if there's one thing we can agree on, it's that a shift from "interesting loot" to "higher numbers" doesn't help anyone. I mean, if you want a look at how obscene higher numbers can get look at the nonsense in D3...a game I love, but...nah, man.

Nov 1, 2017
I'm glad I don't have to be on the hamster wheel in Destiny 2. The truth is that I'm a mid-level player and would ultimately rather play actual MMOs over Destiny 2. It's unfortunate for those who want to grind but most modern progression systems are moving away from vertical grinds to mixed systems. If you just want to be on a firm gear treadmill there are probably hundreds of Korean MMOs for you to jump on.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Destiny 2 needs randoM rolls.....it needs God rolls...The chase...is gone.

Edit: boss was coming I had to panic submit. Destiny needs better cosmetic loot boxes.

Deleted member 433

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Agree with the op here.

Loot boxes are not inherently bad, when done right they can be a lifrstream ensuring long term support and content updates (i.e. overwatch).

Destiny has a fuckton of content on the disk, and loot boxes form part of the core post story gameplay loop. I love earning engrams, it gives me a good sense of progression, even across the different game modes, so I'm free to do what I like and still get to reap rewards for it rather than being forced to repeat specific chores.

I feel like the pre release community reaction to it was overly negative, based more on fear and presumption than the actual implementation

Nov 1, 2017
Non of them are remotely as fun to play as Destiny though.
Of course. But it's clear that Bungie has their direction and they are catering to people like me vs. people like you or the OP. I've seen "veteran" folks bang on about this for a while now and it seems like y'all are just banging your heads against the wall. You can either feel stuck...or just do something else in the meantime as Bungie is obviously expecting you to do.

OP
OP
Hawky

Hawky

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Abu Dhabi, UAE
Agree with the op here.

Loot boxes are not inherently bad, when done right they can be a lifrstream ensuring long term support and content updates (i.e. overwatch).

Destiny has a fuckton of content on the disk, and loot boxes form part of the core post story gameplay loop. I love earning engrams, it gives me a good sense of progression, even across the different game modes, so I'm free to do what I like and still get to reap rewards for it rather than being forced to repeat specific chores.

I feel like the pre release community reaction to it was overly negative, based more on fear and presumption than the actual implementation

Thanks, but uh... I was talking about the loot itself. The gear and stuff you earn during gameplay

When I think of loot boxes, I think of stuff you buy with your money to get cosmetics (Or worse, allowing you to shortcut through the progression system)

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Billy-D_Approves.gif

Post of the year. I love you Hawky. You highlighted EVERYTHING that is currently wrong with Destiny 2. It's not the content, it's lack of incentive, a lack of meaningful loot and lack of variety. There's no chase and no challenge.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
I don't mind grind if the gameplay is good. It is in Destiny 2, but the loot system isn't - and that's the problem. Getting new stuff is just not exciting at all. Why even bother. Now loot is just a tool to get higher Power, items itself are not fun to collect.

Besides, I don't really like the fact that you have to decrypt engrams to get some better loot. I would like a system where some items just drop - you check them out, you equip them and you keep playing. Like in Diablo 3.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
All of improvements to QoL and the loot tables from Year 3 and even Year 2 are missing in Destiny 2 for some stupid reason. Ornaments, strike specific loot, ect. Hell, raid gear doesn't even have perks that benefit you in the raid. Going flawless doesn't reward you with Adept weapons either. Exotics like Lucky Pants or Mechaneer's Trickskeeves are a pathetic joke.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
And given that veteran players are not happy about the current state of D2, I'd say removing the systems from the entirety of Destiny 1 isn't paying off for anyone who wants to play Destiny for more than two weeks.

I know hating Call of Duty is cool and all, but the devs were well-aware enough not to mess too much with the formula in the MP knowing the players wouldn't be happy if they changed it a lot.

You know, for all the talk about Destiny 2 being Destiny 1.5, I'm pretty sure most players would've preferred the latter. Just saying

Edit: The initial post was made out of my ass, so apologies for that

Agreed. The carrot was more enticing in Destiny 2. Plus there were so many remedial tasks like collecting materials and leveling up your new weapons and gear which led to you spending more time playing with your friends.

FroMonk

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind grind if the gameplay is good. It is in Destiny 2, but the loot system isn't - and that's the problem. Getting new stuff is just not exciting at all. Why even bother. Now loot is just a tool to get higher Power, items itself are not fun to collect.

Besides, I don't really like the fact that you have to decrypt engrams to get some better loot. I would like a system where some items just drop - you check them out, you equip them and you keep playing. Like in Diablo 3.
It's interesting that you bring up D3, because while obv. the solution isn't the same, I think the problem is. Specifically, the fact that Vanilla D3 had a really great core of satisfying moment-to-moment gameplay, variety of bosses and places to go (remember when the problem was D2 being nothing but baal and meph runs so they made champ packs to force you to adventure?) and a difficult endgame to give a goal to that treadmill, but the loot was so bad that it forced you to the AH if you wanted upgrades. The loot that dropped had bad rolls, were wrong for your class, or was just plain uninteresting. After ROS, they fixed the loot system so stuff dropped that was more likely to be for your character and they added a lot more interesting legendaries that forced you to change up your whole playstyle to maximize their effect.

If D2 did that, added a bunch of gear that wasn't just more powerful, but literally game changing, making you reevaluate how you play your character, it would be pretty great. But honestly, I think I would almost prefer an internal counter to the token system, where it feeds you blues up to a certain point, then it drops a legendary. Cut out the middle man of going to the vendor to drop off all your tokens...or if you must, drop tokens AND loot. I think I've seen legit blue gear come out of a loot box after a high value target or a public event fewer than ten times, and never a purple.

FroMonk

Oct 25, 2017
Only possible if Bungie finally separates PvP from PvE.
Hopefully some day they'll learn what ArenaNet did with Guild Wars, which is that it's possible to do this and not completely confuse the playerbase. ANet hung onto the PvP/PvE balance thing for so long, then they finally divorced the skills and made a bunch of PvE only skills and the game was better for it.

Stratn

Oct 29, 2017
I loved Vanilla Destiny best! I agree with Glam here, where I would rather be chasing gear (that actually made me more powerful) than chasing a number beside my name. I feel like exotics were much more fun to chase, because they actually made you more powerful. Yes, we all complained about RNG sucking, but it kept me coming back every week to do night falls and raids, and when I got my first Hawkmoon I fell backward in my seat screaming with excitement, I took that puppy in crucible and had so much fun with it.

I also wanted to note that I never got Ghorn to drop, but that didn't matter, I was chasing SOMETHING! Other notable exotics include Vex, The Last word, Ice Breaker, Thorn, Plan C (loved to Voop!) these guns made you feel powerful in a way Destiny 2 hasn't provided.

We all know that PVP is why they stopped making Exotics feel powerful which is too bad, because those times were the times that I had the most fun with this game.

Also wanted to thank Hawky for taking his time to make this well worded thread, and I agree with a lot of what he's saying

Last edited:

Lugicarus

Nov 2, 2017
Remember when Plants vs. Zombies came out and completely nailed the loot crates/gear progression and nobody has copied it since cause it was fair and fun?

pants

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
There were tons of posts Y1 about how evil and manipulative loot was in Destiny, how all the people chasing drops were being abused by psychological exploitation.

I dont agree with those people, but its ironic how little purpose there is to anything in Destiny 2 once the thrill of interesting / rare loot is gone.

IMO They should make PvE drops insane and random again, and then Crucible should have its own balanced weapon set that anyone can pull from (think Counter Strike), and then occassionally open up special modes where you can bring in all your bullshit OP weapons in with you. Thats the happy balance.

Deleted member 9486

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have two thoughts about that, first is more a disclaimer.

1. I hated the random rolls in Destiny 1 and wouldn't have bought Destiny 2 if they were back. Destiny 2 is a much better game for casual players like me (I put 189 hours into D1 from day 1 through the Rise of Iron—the year 3 DLC for people not familiar).

2. I think a lot of hate changes were probably Activision requests. Bungie has been unable or unwilling to successfully monetize Destiny. The Eververse is a joke and doesn't bring in revenue like loot crates in Overwatch and it doesn't have a subscription like WoW (just using to Blizzard Activision games as an examples since they're all Activision published games).

Why would Activision want them to make a grindy end game that keeps people playing for hundreds or thousands of hours when the game isn't brining in revenue? That just means more people are addicted and occupied and not buying CoD WWII or other games they publish or aren't playing more Overwatch and buying loot crates and aren't re-newing their WoW account for the new expansion etc.

On top of that, the grindy end game in Destiny 1 likely turned off a lot of casual players and they're hoping the more casual focus in D2 will keep a larger percentage of buyers up to speed (at/near max level) and thus keep them engaged and buying the DLC as it comes out rather than falling/feeling hopelessly behind their hardcore friends and just walkinga way from the game.

It's all about the $$$ to Activision.

CrusoeCMYK

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely I'd love an abundance of content but at some point it's going to start to become repetitive. Once it reaches that point I'd at least like for the activities to be rewarding. I did VoG numerous times for the chance to get amazing loot (ie., fatebringer). Turns out fatebringer made all the repetitive content more enjoyable.

anyprophet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
my biggest problem with destiny's loot is that the high end stuff doesn't make a very big impact on how you play the game. Diablo 3 had the same problem at launch and they finally fixed it. legendary loot is actually legendary now and let's you build your character in ways that aren't possible without them.