djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
I have to say, I've enjoyed the relaxed loot cycle in the game, but am a little dumbfounded that you can stay on that simple loop and max out.
I haven't done the raid, and I barely ever even do Nightfalls, and now I'm starting to get 305 gear without any additional effort on my part.
I'm not saying it isn't welcome, but it does feel weird. The timing seems to work out right though, as the first expansion will be here soon.
It is a bummer that what appears to be PvP balance concerns is keeping Bungie from creating more unique and game-changing weapons and armor.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Still astounds me the level of histrionics that are applied when vets reminisce about D1.

D2's endgame problems aren't fundamental and can be fixed quite easily. D1's problems were fundamental, playing it at the time it was clear that this was made by a team who were in way over their heads didn't have the content and buried the little they had underneath a metric tonne of bullshit.

What they didn't expect was that they would by happenstance hook a few people with this.

I am a firm believer that D1 vanilla was never their intention.

Oh and fuck random rolls.

Totenkinder

Oct 27, 2017
I quit D1 because I never got Ghorn to drop and was pissed they never sold it again through Xur. I get that people like to grind and I do too with some games but in D1 it felt opressive. Like basically play this game for thousands of hours if you ever want to get the super OP weapons. I also have way less time to play now so D2 is working out for me.. That being said there does seem to be a problem in D2 with exotics not having enough impact. I really miss my Icebreaker that was my favorite weapon in D1 it just felt SO good to pick guys off with that thing. Hopefully the DLC can give you console guys more endgame stuff I can understand your dissapointment. Currently at PL 253 and still having a blast but I could see that changing if I literally run out of stuff to do

SneakersSO

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
North America
Destiny 2 is one of the few games in the last decade where I am not only actively disappointed, i've actually sought out ways to get a refund on the Season Pass I purchased as part of the Digital Deluxe edition I got on PSN. I haven't found a way of getting my money back yet, and as a result, anytime Destiny 2 gets brought up I actually get legit angry. It sours my mood that much, thats how disappointed I am with the end product.

I'm a person who put in more than 700 hours into D1, and had put in over 180 hours in D2 before I stopped playing it permanently. At no point did D1 ever disappoint me as much as D2 has at launch & up until this point, even with the sub-par campaign delivered in D1. It's a game that actively hates my desire to play it, and a developer who just refuses to openly talk about the game's problems or respond to criticism in any direct way that doesn't come across as condescending or dismissive. Everything with Bungie now is left to some nebulous 'future' that I just don't want to wait for anymore. The fact that D2 not only repeats several mistakes they made with D1, but actually goes even further & makes new mistakes of its, is a testament to just how off they are with it & how little they actually understand what made their game compelling to begin with.

None of my clanmates play the game anymore. We dropped it the week Prestige Raid released on consoles. And to be honest, I know that nothing is going to change. The game sold gangbusters, its on a new platform, and i'm sure the monetization whales are in there throwing their money into the game as if it matters. The game is a success, so why would anything change. Thats fine - it just means that Destiny 2 is never going to be the game for me. I've made my peace with that.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Does power level for individual pieces of loot even matter if your overall level is high enough to pass any of the "gates"? Is there any point in infusing once your overall power is passed 280?

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
Does power level for individual pieces of loot even matter if your overall level is high enough to pass any of the "gates"? Is there any point in infusing once your overall power is passed 280?

I think Prestige modes require 300 or 305, but I could be wrong. Power level doesn't do anything extra beyond the minimum requirement, though. In most MMOs, raids get easier as you gear up and get better. In Destiny, raids only get easier as you get better. Makes them less interesting imo.

Joker Code

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Dallas
I enjoyed my time with D2 a lot mate than D1. I just wish the game would reward you better for complaining end game activities.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I think Prestige modes require 300 or 305, but I could be wrong. Power level doesn't do anything extra beyond the minimum requirement, though. In most MMOs, raids get easier as you gear up and get better. In Destiny, raids only get easier as you get better. Makes them less interesting imo.

Yeah, that's dissapointing. I much preferred vanilla Destiny's more traditional approach.

OP
OP
Hawky

Hawky

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Abu Dhabi, UAE
Destiny 2 is one of the few games in the last decade where I am not only actively disappointed, i've actually sought out ways to get a refund on the Season Pass I purchased as part of the Digital Deluxe edition I got on PSN. I haven't found a way of getting my money back yet, and as a result, anytime Destiny 2 gets brought up I actually get legit angry. It sours my mood that much, thats how disappointed I am with the end product.

I'm a person who put in more than 700 hours into D1, and had put in over 180 hours in D2 before I stopped playing it permanently. At no point did D1 ever disappoint me as much as D2 has at launch & up until this point, even with the sub-par campaign delivered in D1. It's a game that actively hates my desire to play it, and a developer who just refuses to openly talk about the game's problems or respond to criticism in any direct way that doesn't come across as condescending or dismissive. Everything with Bungie now is left to some nebulous 'future' that I just don't want to wait for anymore. The fact that D2 not only repeats several mistakes they made with D1, but actually goes even further & makes new mistakes of its, is a testament to just how off they are with it & how little they actually understand what made their game compelling to begin with.

None of my clanmates play the game anymore. We dropped it the week Prestige Raid released on consoles. And to be honest, I know that nothing is going to change. The game sold gangbusters, its on a new platform, and i'm sure the monetization whales are in there throwing their money into the game as if it matters. The game is a success, so why would anything change. Thats fine - it just means that Destiny 2 is never going to be the game for me. I've made my peace with that.

As I said in the OP before, Bungie no longer gets the benefit of the doubt. Destiny 2 will improve, but I doubt anyone who is severely disappointed with the game will wait 3 more years for the game to get better. They made big bucks, but their design decisions alienated their veteran players. The casuals, as always, will jump ship and the veteran players who kept Destiny and Bungie alive feel neglected a lot as a result. And before anyone says that veteran players will buy the DLCs, they're not dumb enough. They know they got swindled and would rather leave behind than get swindled further more.

Bungie messed up big time and they have a lot of momentum to catch on if they truly care an ounce to their veteran community

I don't think there'd be much rage and toxicity towards them if they're.... you know, more open to their community. They'll catch heat, no doubt, but its better than just silence. And I'm aware they don't wanna talk about things they wanna add until they're 100% committed to adding it, but talking about why they made Destiny 2 the way it is now and their design decisions may help foster relationships between players

Hawkeye 131

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
The grind in vanilla Destiny was ridiculously absurd. Extremely low drop rates, expensive to buy from vendors (after you managed to rank them up), large amounts of legendary materials required to upgrade weapons and armour, very few avenues to earn end game loot from and nowhere near enough content to justify the sheer amount of grinding. If memory serves the Raid and Nightfall were the only way to earn end game gear (Iron Banner as well but that was only a monthly week long activity, which also suffered from the aforementioned issues). Vanilla Destiny actively disrespected itself and it's players. The loot grind needs to be rewarding and reasonable.

And it doesn't help that you can get to max level easily through weekly milestones or public events which gives players less reasons to do the raid. That's a failure of endgame design as you shouldn't be allowed to get to max level unless you're committed to do the endgame activities like Raiding or Trials.

I couldn't disagree with you more. This attitude of "you shouldn't be allowed" comes off as elitist and pretentious. As I mentioned above, one of the many issues with vanilla Destiny was there were very few avenues for acquiring end game gear. I don't believe max level gear should be exclusive to the Raid and Trials.

It also introduced infusion and with that destroyed a lot of the fun grind.

People were not chasing gear - they were chasing numbers.

Infusion just shifted the grind from Gear (exciting!) to numbers (who cares?)

Here's the thing though, we were always chasing numbers. In vanilla Destiny Light Level was tied exclusively to gear, forever 29 anyone? Each piece of gear had a predetermined light level assigned to it, 26 LL boots, 28 LL gauntlets 30 LL chest piece etc... To be max level you needed a full set of 30 (pretty sure it was 30), light level gear on to be max and the only way to do that was with VoG raid gear, an exotic and/or Iron Banner gear.

Part of what made House of Wolves so great was the introduction of Etheric Light. Being able to decide which gear you wanted to infuse to max level was fantastic as it enabled people to 'max light' (for lack of better words) any weapon or armour they wished. Infusion worked very similar, you could still grind for specific weapons and gear but you didn't have to worry that you'd never be able to use it in the harder activities because it wasn't a 30, 32 or 34 LL piece of high level gear.

the fact remains that your weapons feel useless if they don't have a perfect roll.

I think this is a bit of an over statement and over generalization, I never got a god-rolled Eyasluna but the one that I did have certainly didn't feel "useless".

End game loot for showing up every Tuesday - ridiculous.

This statement isn't accurate at all. You have to actually complete the activities, passing it off as though you simply walk in the door and are handed end game loot is dismissive and misleading.

The biggest issue is lack of incentives. While some people say that Destiny 2's endgame lack content, what it truly lacks are incentives. There are no incentives to do the Raid or Trials because you'll get their respective weapons through clan engrams.

Indeed, you want the gear do the activity.

Destiny 2 has a lot of problems right now, as OP mentioned it doesn't lack content, it lacks incentives. Again, you want the gear, do the activity. Clan engrams giving activity exclusive loot is a mistake, I would rather clan engrams contain generalized loot items like those from the Cryptarch. To be honest, I'm still not entirely sure how I feel about static rolls on weapons and gear. Also the fact that there's no raid specific perks on any of the raid weapons and armour? Missions and Strikes aren't even on the map anymore? No exotic quests or quest page? All of these problems with take time to remedy properly, especially when there's ten thousand people all complaining about what to fix, how to do it. All agreeing and disagreeing, it sort it all out must be a nightmare. I do have faith that the Live Team will improve things over time, they have a lot of work ahead of them. What interests me is how and more importantly why Bungie made all these bizarre design decisions in the first place? Again it seems like two steps forward one step back and I like many others it seems expected better from Bungie.

Mindlog

Oct 25, 2017
As a veteran player. No thanks. I like using my weapons not waiting for them so long that I no longer want to play.
/stares at Mananan

Seems the entire point of RNG rolls is to increase loot granularity. The idea that perks can make a 'bad' weapon good is basically the idea that every weapon should be the same. As an example the entire reason players went on the grind for Imago Loop was because it was the closest copy of Fatebringer. There is 0 net gain. We're again left with no reason to have more than one weapon in the same archetype.

Just cut Legendary drop rates by 80%. Same thing.

OP
OP
Hawky

Hawky

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Abu Dhabi, UAE
I couldn't disagree with you more. This attitude of "you shouldn't be allowed" comes off as elitist and pretentious. As I mentioned above, one of the many issues with vanilla Destiny was there were very few avenues for acquiring end game gear. I don't believe max level gear should be exclusive to the Raid and Trials.

It does sound elitist, true. But in my eyes, if you wanna get to max level in MMO-like games (Destiny is mainly FPS, but it shares some sprinkles from MMOs), you have to be committed and invested into the game.

Personally, I think its okay that not every player has to get to max level in Destiny because they didn't invest a lot of hours into the game with endgame activities.

I think this is a bit of an over statement and over generalization, I never got a god-rolled Eyasluna but the one that I did have certainly didn't feel "useless".

I was mainly speaking on the perspective of players who weren't satisfied with non god-rolled weapons. For them, a non god-roll Eyasluna or Grasp of Malok is trash to them

But yes, I agree with you on the fact that just because you didn't get a god-roll of a weapon you grinded for doesn't make that weapon useless

Deleted member 2321

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This statement isn't accurate at all. You have to actually complete the activities, passing it off as though you simply walk in the door and are handed end game loot is dismissive and misleading.

Not true if you are in a clan that does the work for you. You'll get 4 end game rewards literally just for showing up.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
I wish Destiny 2 had a grind that was worth it. Right now we're basically just grinding for cosmetics

BashNasty

Oct 30, 2017
They know they got swindled and would rather leave behind than get swindled further more.

Sounds like a lot of the veteran players who have complaints with the new way loot works have played well over 100 hours of Destiny 2. I wouldn't call that getting swindled. I'd call that playing the hell out of a game and getting your money's worth.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like a lot of the veteran players who have complaints with the new way loot works have played well over 100 hours of Destiny 2. I wouldn't call that getting swindled. I'd call that playing the hell out of a game and getting your money's worth.
Not compared to other games similar to it, it isn't. Loot-based games are designed for long-term investment. Borderlands 1 and 2, Diablo 3, The Division, even Destiny 1, all have systems designed to keep you occupied for much longer than just 100 hours.

Solid Shake

Oct 28, 2017
Destiny 2 is a classic case of making the game satisfying but losing every part of what made it so replayable.

It's like having Diablo 3 but when you beat the game you're done. That's not the end, that's the beginning! Be Diablo 3!

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
Destiny vanilla still is the best Destiny.

D2 just lack incentives to play... I was two weeks without play but yesterday I increased 3 light levels just going on Tower lol

To be fair after I left Tower I closed the game... so I'm going for the 3rd week without play.

Mindlog

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait for it to take hours and hours of in game time again just to level one node on a piece of armor.
That was so much fun!

ZeroNoir_

Oct 25, 2017
It does sound elitist, true. But in my eyes, if you wanna get to max level in MMO-like games (Destiny is mainly FPS, but it shares some sprinkles from MMOs), you have to be committed and invested into the game.

This is YOUR opinion and it differs from MY opinion and of MANY others I have played with.

All of YOUR opinions come as facts and that is where the problem lies.

Deleted member 10293

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have no issues with grinding as long as the gameplay is good. I've put 100+ hours in tons of rpgs, jrpgs, and arpgs, but the Destiny's idea of a grind is something I just don't enjoy

Making basic progression become a once a week thing is a death knell in my eyes because it feels like it's only in place to artificially inflate concurrent player numbers and adds nothing to the actual game

optimus8936

Oct 25, 2017
Me reading this OP

Screw any grind Destiny has ever had. D2 actually respects players time and allows you to actually enjoy the game for what it is, a shooter.

Fuck random rolls. Fuck having to get dozens of one weapon to get a good roll. Fuck the countless hours of grinding for no rewards.

D2 vanilla is soooooo much better than D1. If you couldn't devote your life to D1, you might as well have just dropped the game entirely.

Also interesting how you talk so much about year 2 and 3, despite you telling people you pretty much didn't play at all during those times. You barely have over 100 hours in D1, yet you're hardcore?

Last edited:

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I'm actually surprised OP that you want the game to feature things that are supposed to make you play for thousands of hours when you yourself seem to actually be more of a "casual" player.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
Never played Destiny 1. I like Destiny 2 a lot, because it is less of a commitment than a traditional MMO and the moment to moment gameplay of the raids/nightfalls is engaging.

I can understand why people who want to have ONE GAME that takes up all their time would be pissed, but this fits my play style a lot better, and allows me to keep up with my friends who can play a lot more than I can.

The main thing I think they need to work on is adding more viability for all the end game content. I want to do the adventures, but it feels like a waste of time when I could just run the NF or get the Raid Chests. To me I feel like I can only play efficiently when my friends are playing.

Oct 25, 2017
While I do agree with your points about a lack of incentives and I couldn't care either way about random rolls I do have to ask. When did players ever complain about Exotics costing an arm and a leg, besides the initial upgrade system in DB and pretty sure I have never met someone who complains about "long" questlines to get exotics?

Additionally, why not bring back the randomness of the TK infusion system? Just as pointless and a similar timesink to random rolls but in Bungie's mind it gave people a reason to keep grinding (the exact reasoning behind random rolls).

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I fell off of hardcore destiny after HoW. Never attempted challenge of elders. Beat the new raids and content through RoI but that's about it.

I don't play d2 as much as I did d1 back in the day and I like that. D1 felt like a second job at times. Despite having less consistent playtime I do enjoy d2 more. I play when I want and have fun. Then when I feel it's been exhausted I go play other things. Beat wolfenstein. Making my way through ass creed. Lots of fortnite and overwatch. In destiny 1 I felt guilty if I wasn't playing destiny 1. Glad that's gone.

Vadara

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never really understood the belief that any grinding, no matter how small, is bad.

Grinding involves directly engaging with the game mechanics. If you don't like grinding you are basically saying "I don't actually enjoy playing this game"

???

optimus8936

Oct 25, 2017
I never really understood the belief that any grinding, no matter how small, is bad.

Grinding involves directly engaging with the game mechanics. If you don't like grinding you are basically saying "I don't actually enjoy playing this game"

???
I would love to enjoy the game if it would give me the good version of the gun after 300 hours

Vadara

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would love to enjoy the game if it would give me the good version of the gun after 300 hours
I'm not talking about that kind of grinding hell, I'm talking about people who loudly bristle at the notion of having to put in the slightest bit of time and effort into getting gear/stuff in games.

Ruthless

Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia

Hating on a sequel because it's more inclusive rather than being more exclusive, like the first game.

What a time to be a gamer!

Things like random rolls and loot grind work when you have the option to trade items. Destiny is not Diablo, never will be.

We want time for other games and RL stuff. No one wants to have a grinding game that takes away from that.

Destiny 2 is fine. Yes, it needs a lot of work and changes, but not the one you are asking for. There are plenty of F2P MMO type games for that.

Also, talking about commitment and investment - I can list 20 players from this community who have 3000-4000 hours in Destiny 1. 500+ hours in Destiny 2. Multiple characters on multiple platforms.
OP has a 100 hours each in Destiny 1 and Destiny 2. I don't see why you have to keep on bringing up the same arguments without actually having that commitment and investment you so highly speak of..

optimus8936

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not talking about that kind of grinding hell, I'm talking about people who loudly bristle at the notion of having to put in the slightest bit of time and effort into getting gear/stuff in games.
It's not like D2 has zero grind lol. There is still enough to keep players in after 20 hours. Like said above, there are tons of people who have already put in 500+ hours.

The kind of grind that is being asked of here, is the kind of example I brought up. People who miss the grind of destiny, are the people asking for this. The grind in the original was absolutely ridiculous.

Some grind is absolutely ok, if it's reasonable. Destiny 1 grind, aka "play for hundreds of hours and never get the one roll on the one gun that you wanted" was shit and should never come back.

Milk

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Random rolls need to return if they want to make loot exciting again. I loved that moment when a purple would drop in D1 and you'd immediately hover over to check the perks. Gave excitement to literally every single loot drop you ever got.

Yet people will jump on the sword to defend fixed rolls. "God rolls were too rare and frustrating to grind!". You didn't need god rolls. Mid-rolls and high-rolls were perfectly viable and not very rare to come across. You didn't need that total knockout Grasp of Malok in order to stay competitive in the endgame.

RANDOM ROLLS FOR LIFE.

optimus8936

Oct 25, 2017
Random rolls need to return if they want to make loot exciting again. I loved that moment when a purple would drop in D1 and you'd immediately hover over to check the perks. Gave excitement to literally every single loot drop you ever got.

Yet people will jump on the sword to defend fixed rolls. "God rolls were too rare and frustrating to grind!". You didn't need god rolls. Mid-rolls and high-rolls were perfectly viable and not very rare to come across. You didn't need that total knockout Grasp of Malok in order to stay competitive in the endgame.

RANDOM ROLLS FOR LIFE.
If you wanted to be as competitive as possible, yes you needed God rolls.

A player with a God roll will have a clear advantage over someone who doesnt, no matter what. That's bullshit. If you wanted to be as good as you possibly could, you needed the God roll. If it was as simple as "lol you didn't need them to be competitive" then no one wouldve bothered.

Random rolls brought disappointment more than excitement. You would grind tons of hours to get it to drop, to only see Exhumed and Guerilla Fighter. F U N.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
If you wanted to be as competitive as possible, yes you needed God rolls.

A player with a God roll will have a clear advantage over someone who doesnt, no matter what. That's bullshit. If you wanted to be as good as you possibly could, you needed the God roll. If it was as simple as "lol you didn't need them to be competitive" then no one wouldve bothered.

Random rolls brought disappointment more than excitement. You would grind tons of hours to get it to drop, to only see Exhumed and Guerilla Fighter. F U N.

But instead, now you just see a weapon drop and immediately throw it in the trash because there is no way to save it due to the fixed perks. At least with randomized perks there was a possibility that basically any gun in the game could at least be decent depending on how it rolled. I'd prefer to use Bad News in PvP over Better Devils but since it can't roll with any other perks than the subpar ones it already has, I have no reason to ever use it if I wanna be competitive.

optimus8936

Oct 25, 2017
But instead, now you just see a weapon drop and immediately throw it in the trash because there is no way to save it due to the fixed perks. At least with randomized perks there was a possibility that basically any gun in the game could at least be decent depending on how it rolled. I'd prefer to use Bad News in PvP over Better Devils but since it can't roll with any other perks than the subpar ones it already has, I have no reason to ever use it if I wanna be competitive.
Random rolls did not make bad guns good lol. A bad gun was a bad gun. 90% of guns were garbage in Destiny 1 just like Destiny 2. Just now you don't have grind for hours upon hours to get the 10% that are good :)

I also do not understand your logic. Random rolls mean it's fine to use a bad gun against good guns, but when it's static rolls, a bad gun has no way to compete? What kinda logic is that?

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Random rolls did not make bad guns good lol. A bad gun was a bad gun. 90% of guns were garbage in Destiny 1 just like Destiny 2. Just now you don't have grind for hours upon hours to get the 10% that are good :)

I also do not understand your logic. Random rolls mean it's fine to use a bad gun against good guns, but when it's static rolls, a bad gun has no way to compete? What kinda logic is that?

I'm saying I have a choice of taking a "bad" weapon in Destiny 1, and with a specific set of rolls, like Timur's Lash in year 1 with a damage boost for 2 shot headshots, I can make that work. I don't have the opportunity to do that with bad weapons in D2, like Bad News, because the perk choices via randomization aren't there. However, I'm still a fan of the HoW style of PvP where you could reroll a gun as many times as you wanted. It was the best system and overall best PvP because if you wanted a specific PvP godroll you could just roll until you hit that.

Mindlog

Oct 25, 2017

???
Quite the opposite for me. I enjoy the game so much that my sense of progression comes from the mastery of its systems and not from the acquisition of tools to engage those systems. There are players that enjoy a different style and that's fine just not my cup of tea.
That reminds me of American Football. When your team scores a touchdown the crowd erupts. Then there is an awkward delay for a minute or so because every scoring play is immediately reviewed. Then another milder celebration because automatic reviews are almost always pointless. I disliked the drop itself being less exciting than the perk review.

Which reminds me: Legendary mods need to have a small ornamental component.
"God rolls were too rare and frustrating to grind!". You didn't need god rolls. Mid-rolls and high-rolls were perfectly viable and not very rare to come across. You didn't need that total knockout Grasp of Malok in order to stay competitive in the endgame.

RANDOM ROLLS FOR LIFE.
That exists right now. You don't need Mananan when you have Pleiades Corrector.

TreeMePls

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly random rolls is the blood that makes loot games fun.

Every drop of a weapon is an event because you can get anything from bottom of the trash stats to a perfect rolled weapon with everything you want.

nasirum

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere
No random rolls please.

There have been many mockups of ways to customize guns on DTG subreddit. Some are great. They separate PVP and PVE perks. I hope Bungie pursues that and lets us have more customization of existing guns.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like half of the replies here completely miss that this is a loot game. Destiny has been a loot game from the start, so I'm having a hard time understanding why people don't want a loot game. It's like hearing someone complain that they have to farm guns in Borderlands, that IS the game.

OP
OP
Hawky

Hawky

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Abu Dhabi, UAE
I feel like half of the replies here completely miss that this is a loot game. Destiny has been a loot game from the start, so I'm having a hard time understanding why people don't want a loot game. It's like hearing someone complain that they have to farm guns in Borderlands, that IS the game.
They see it as a shooter first, which is understandable.

However, given the fact that Destiny from the beginning with loot grinding in mind, I do find it puzzling that they reject any semblance of grind in the game (And no, I'm not advocating for the grind like the last Iron Banner or Faction Rally)

I don't mind the fact they made Destiny 2 more inclusive to new players. I do mind that there is no incentive whatsoever in thr endgame, especially with the loot rewards.

I'm actually surprised OP that you want the game to feature things that are supposed to make you play for thousands of hours when you yourself seem to actually be more of a "casual" player.

Hating on a sequel because it's more inclusive rather than being more exclusive, like the first game.

What a time to be a gamer!

Things like random rolls and loot grind work when you have the option to trade items. Destiny is not Diablo, never will be.

We want time for other games and RL stuff. No one wants to have a grinding game that takes away from that.

Destiny 2 is fine. Yes, it needs a lot of work and changes, but not the one you are asking for. There are plenty of F2P MMO type games for that.

Also, talking about commitment and investment - I can list 20 players from this community who have 3000-4000 hours in Destiny 1. 500+ hours in Destiny 2. Multiple characters on multiple platforms.
OP has a 100 hours each in Destiny 1 and Destiny 2. I don't see why you have to keep on bringing up the same arguments without actually having that commitment and investment you so highly speak of..

I don't see how my playtime hours invalidates my arguments, but okay.. I mean... if I could convince my past me not to quit Destiny 1 before TTK's release by 2 months, I would lol.

Deleted member 2321

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait for it to take hours and hours of in game time again just to level one node on a piece of armor.
That was so much fun!

Yeah it was. Feeling how your gear changed and became more powerful as you unlocked nodes was super cool.

Leveling up your newly acquired gear was the victory lap. Something to do between resets.

A reason to do your bounties.

A reason to actually play the game.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
The problem with Destiny 2 in particular on PC is that now they're competing on a platform with plenty of alternatives. Maybe not loot shooters but decades worth of aRPGs and MMOs. The lack of build variety and general complexity has turned a lot of people from my group off.

It's just not rewarding enough and I think the PC audience in particular will hold the game to a lot more scrutiny than the other platforms have.

To be honest, Destiny 2 is technically just Destiny 1.5 except worse. That's my two cents.

Destiny TTK was called 1.5 so I don't even know what to call this. One step forward two steps back?

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I don't see how my playtime hours invalidates my arguments, but okay.. I mean... if I could convince my past me not to quit Destiny 1 before TTK's release by 2 months, I would lol.
I never meant it invalidates what you are saying, you are clearly articulating your feelings in the OP post.
I'm just surprised that you seem to be speaking in favor of the game mechanics which in the past made you actually quit playing the game.
How did the change from "I stopped playing the grindy game" to "I want to play the grindy game" occur?

OP
OP
Hawky

Hawky

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Abu Dhabi, UAE
I never meant it invalidates what you are saying, you are clearly articulating your feelings in the OP post.
I'm just surprised that you seem to be speaking in favor of the game mechanics which in the past made you actually quit playing the game.
How did the change from "I stopped playing the grindy game" to "I want to play the grindy game" occur?

At the time, it was when I stopped giving a shit over Destiny. Why I made that decision in the first place is beyond me.

Ironically enough, it wasn't until the end of Destiny 2's console beta that renewed my interest to Destiny.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
While I'm not personally a fan of grinding just for the sake of it - I *do* miss playing an activity (whether it be a strike, raid or PvP) knowing that there's a chance that I could get a god roll of something. There's no question that the current loot system lacks that level of excitement for me and it definitely makes me think twice about logging in just to play random stuff at the moment.

WesleyShark

Oct 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Destiny 2 is certainly not without some things that need adjusted, or changed, but making it a grind fest for the sake of being a grind fest is not one of them.

The way D2 is structured is by design. It attracts more players who may not have wanted to bother with a system that requires 400 hours to get everything.

That being said, the endgame could use some work, but not by adding random grinds to things because reasons. Varied activities. More bounties. More guns and gear to chase. More things to tackle in the patrols. Make strikes more rewarding. Etc.

These are things that can add more draw for people to play the game without adding more grinds.

And these things will be added. Dlc 1 is quite soon, and we'll have to see what it has in store for us.

But in the end, I'm really glad D2 doesn't suck you in for endless amounts of time, trying to get some gun that has some perk that has a .0005% of dropping. It throws loot at you, instead.

It's a far more satisfying experience that you can then set aside to play other games. This is a healthy thing. If you want to keep playing, you can, but it's not because you have to, and it's not because it you don't keep playing you'll fall behind.

This is a far more inclusive game, and destiny as a whole is better for it.