Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
www.detroitnews.com

Viral videos show Fox Theatre balcony bouncing, officials say no sweat

Videos gained millions of views in just a few hours.

On Tuesday morning, social media was lit up with footage from Monday night's Gunna concert at Detroit's Fox Theatre, which showed the balcony of the nearly 100-year-old building wobbling as fans jumped up and down during the show.

Local concert fans know that's how it goes at the Fox, and venue operators Ilitch Sports and Entertainment released a statement Tuesday saying the balcony was built to flex and withstand such activity, just as it has for decades.

What the fuck

View: https://twitter.com/thewavecheckk/status/1787695588382835061

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
This is going to be one of those things where people still act surprised when it collapses.

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I know structures suppose to have some flex, but that is the flex that start ripping bolts and shit out

Mass One

Oct 28, 2017
You would think after the baby keem concert they atleast make it not visually jiggle so much.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Flex in structures to stresses is good.

You folks would freak out if you saw skyscrapers during an earthquake.
I mean… sure? But also earthquakes are innately potential natural disasters and are literally unavoidable/uncontrollable, so the best you can do is build things as resistant as possible and hope for the best, because there's always going to be the potential that the earthquake exceeds the safety features. I'm not sure that's the best comparison to convince people this is fine in this context.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
okay but it's pretty rude of you to post this when I'm going to a punk show tonight and gonna be on a balcony of another ancient theater

Terranigma

Oct 27, 2017
THis is waiting for mechanical resonance to occur at some point with ppl jumping/dancing on it just at the right frequency.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
So are there shock absorbers there or is that just a catastrophe waiting to happen?

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
This is interesting because there's a venue here where you are literally not allowed to dance on the balcony, presumably for this reason.

Mango Pilot

Alt account
Banned
Apr 8, 2024
Are they even putting anymore stress on the balcony? They've already put all the force that's gonna be acting on it by just being on the balcony. The only thing that's changes is by jumping they're reliving the force that's already there when everybody is just sitting/standing. Its slowly flexing when people make their way to their seats and more people are added.

Am I mistaken about physics?

Not sure if releasing then reapplying the force rapidly would damaging the balcony through stress.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
The steel stands at the old Mile High Stadium in Denver would flex like crazy, it was pretty wild

Mango Pilot

Alt account
Banned
Apr 8, 2024
WELL ACKSHULLY…

…you're probably right.

But what reasonable person wouldn't freak out if the platform they're standing on three floors up starts flexing?
The "reasonable" response is based on misunderstanding though. We can know better than to trust our lizard brain.

Its like comparing George Washington's response to a plane to mine. He's gonna think its falling, I know its designed to do that and don't freak out.

Google "stadium bounce"

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
The "reasonable" response is based on misunderstanding though. We can know better than to trust our lizard brain.

Its like comparing George Washington's response to a plane to mine. He's gonna think its falling, I know its designed to do that and don't freak out.

Google "stadium bounce"
Not knowing whether a venue has been well-maintained or not, I am comfortable with my lizard brain taking precautions haha

PatAndTheCat

Apr 1, 2024
If you ever get the opportunity, this is one of the most beautiful theatres in the country. Detroit has some beautiful theaters from the days of Detroit being the "Paris of the West"

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
probably not quite as dangerous as it looks assuming there's sound structural integrity but yeah that's probably not the best venue

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
You think that is scary, go to a Coldplay concert in a full size stadium that moves like that.

I'm not a fan, but it's my wife's favorite band. Went with her to see Coldplay at Mercedes-Benz in Georgia. There's a song where the entire arena starts jumping up and down. My best friend and I were just standing there and we were literally bouncing 2 to 3 inches without even trying to jump. The entire stadium from the lower bleachers to the upper decks were bouncing. Freaked us out.

Never felt anything like that in a stadium.

Nov 14, 2017
Are they even putting anymore stress on the balcony? They've already put all the force that's gonna be acting on it by just being on the balcony. The only thing that's changes is by jumping they're reliving the force that's already there when everybody is just sitting/standing. Its slowly flexing when people make their way to their seats and more people are added.

Am I mistaken about physics?

Not sure if releasing then reapplying the force rapidly would damaging the balcony through stress.
Yes; jumping on something (ie impacting it at speed) imparts more force than just standing on it.

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
I'll defer to balcony architects and similar enthusiasts on the facts...but you ain't gonna catch me testing those math equations by jumpin up and down on it with 300 other people. Or standing under it while 300 people are doing that

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
Flex in structures to stresses is good.

You folks would freak out if you saw skyscrapers during an earthquake.

edit - fuckit you need to watch this and lose sleep over it until your brain accepts structural flex is good structure

View: https://youtu.be/7Zw-BvKo0pI?feature=shared

Don Pato spitting out violent truths here 🙏

I come from a country in which earthquakes are pretty usual. Most people here would freak out and probably pass out (and rightfully so!) if the earth started shaking while they were on the 19th floor of a building. It's scary, but normal and quite easy to get used to after a couple of years.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
Rebel against physics

ilived.jpg

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I get that buildings are flexible, but was the fox theatre made for massive concerts of people jumping up and down in sync? Id imagine there would be a lot of this kind of video of the same or similar theatres.