• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
So after taking some advice I tried reducing the size of my sprite
GTvOuVL.png

First one was the one from yesterday 18x50, second one is 16x40, third is 12x30.

Not a fan of how I did the smallest one, but the second one could be worked with. The first one is still my fav though.
Your downsizing looks good! Since I'm the one who prompted this, I figured I should put together a few quick edits that might be useful in the process.

I didn't want to get too crazy with changing your palette or proportions or anything, but hope it helps.

ninjaboyjohn

Oct 30, 2017
California
New gameplay video of Roobound showing modular Eucalyptus trees, echidna enemies (temp model), and alien machines you have to blow up to end the level.

One thing I'm wondering is does this look *too* bright? It's been extremely hard to get close to that Nintendo-esque bright and colorful look in Unreal. Things tend to look too bright or too dark and desaturated. I'd love to hit something for the Eucalyptus forest levels that feels closer to a Nintendo game, Yooka-Laylee's first levels, or a Sonic garden level.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Your downsizing looks good! Since I'm the one who prompted this, I figured I should put together a few quick edits that might be useful in the process.

I didn't want to get too crazy with changing your palette or proportions or anything, but hope it helps.

These look great. I personally like the ones with the "wide" mask the most. The smaller mask works for us because we already know it's a mask, but for someone seeing it for the first time, it just seems like a guy with a purple face.

New gameplay video of Roobound showing modular Eucalyptus trees, echidna enemies (temp model), and alien machines you have to blow up to end the level.

One thing I'm wondering is does this look *too* bright? It's been extremely hard to get close to that Nintendo-esque bright and colorful look in Unreal. Things tend to look too bright or too dark and desaturated. I'd love to hit something for the Eucalyptus forest levels that feels closer to a Nintendo game, Yooka-Laylee's first levels, or a Sonic garden level.

Your VR Jumping Flash is going to set the world ablaze, man. Great work.

Personally I think the brightness and colorfulness looks just right, and my first thought was indeed "it looks like a Nintendo game". You even got that grazing light outline on the gloves right, like in Smash Ultimate.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017

i didn't mention this when i saw it yesterday but thanks for this. I started working with the smallest one I made but your picture does give me an idea for how I want another very important character to look. The bottom right one in particular.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
So attempted a bit more music. This time I actually know what a chord and a key is lmao. Definitely not finished cause it still feels like there are some awkward parts and slightly off keys, plus haven't actually decided on the instrumentation, but I think I kind of got the feel I was going for, somewhat happy and high energy. Any feedback is appreciated even if it is telling me why it's bad.

https://soundcloud.com/user112577925/hero-on-the-scene-wip

Some music this week with the Menu Main Theme.

The composer is Sam Oz, proud to work with him ! :)

oh weird, as i was posting my music post, another one showed up lol. Sounds really nice. Is this a horror game?

Deleted member 48390

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 6, 2018
oh weird, as i was posting my music post, another one showed up lol. Sounds really nice. Is this a horror game?
Yes, it's a story driven horror game with puzzles and riddles. Will be avalaible for free on itch.io, end of january , early february max.
We'll bring the 2 VR options after this (one with controller, the easiest port, and the other with oculus touch, we'll rethink some of the puzzles and riddles.)

The bounds is the prototype of the full game (working title project Louisiana).

TolerLive

Senior Lighting Artist
Verified
Nov 15, 2017
Redmond, WA
So i'm a 3D VFX artist getting his Masters degree in Visual Effects at SCAD, my undergrad degree was a B.F.A. in game design. I would love some feedback on my website/portfolio if anyone has the time! =) I'm sorry if the images are too large.

https://tylerklimek.com/

tyler-klimek-render-03.jpg

tyler-klimek-render02.jpg

sbkodama

Oct 28, 2017
Hello, I need help about "camera traveling" in 3d level design.
I already do camera type for fps, tps, adventure, fixed and fixed pivot. But I wonder how some games do traveling, like the old re cv, dmc, gow, etc.

In fixed pivot my camera is parented to a pivot tracking the head, the camera move by following the tracking rotation of the pivot.
It make a fine rotational traveling for short distances and square areas, but I would like some traveling for more complex areas such as long corridors.

Deleted member 48390

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 6, 2018
So i'm a 3D VFX artist getting his Masters degree in Visual Effects at SCAD, my undergrad degree was a B.F.A. in game design. I would love some feedback on my website/portfolio if anyone has the time! =) I'm sorry if the images are too large.

It's a nice work, models looks really great, but it tends to be too glossy. You don't take advantage of the PBR render especially roughness. So every models have a beautifull light (Iray indeed!), good modeling, but look a bit like toys.

It's obvious with your wood.

I LOVE Iray and I work a lot with it, so look at the differences.

Yours

Mine

It's subtil, I admit, but at some point just 0.1or 0.2 on the roughness make a huge difference. Got the feeling you don't have a proper roughness map but just a global value that doesn't create visible variations.
One last tips, I think your environment is too bright, too strong for good presentation.

Except thta roughness layer, it's a very solid work, keep practicing! You have some skills, I'm sure you will level up very fast!

Cheers!

It's not a "I'm better than you" post, I'm just pointing some points you can improve and that can have a strong impact on the presentation of your work! :)

Mike Armbrust

Oct 25, 2017
Assuming everything goes according to plan, I'll be announcing and releasing my first game on Tuesday!

tyler-klimek-render-03.jpg

tyler-klimek-render02.jpg
The models look great. Is that first ship from Star Citizen?

Minamu

Nov 18, 2017
Sweden
Hey guys, could you help me with some gaming laptop advice? Or can point me to a better thread? I need a new one, not specifically for gaming per se but to continue my indie dev ventures. I know next to nothing about modern PCs, and even less about laptops. I'm looking at one of these a bit randomly:

https://www.komplett.se/product/109.../barbar/acer-predator-helios-300-156-fhd-matt

The price is in Swedish SEK so don't freak out too much xD Still, it's a month's salary almost, not that I mind it. I just don't know what to get or what's good in these black friday/cyber monday times.

ninjaboyjohn

Oct 30, 2017
California
Hey guys, could you help me with some gaming laptop advice? Or can point me to a better thread? I need a new one, not specifically for gaming per se but to continue my indie dev ventures. I know next to nothing about modern PCs, and even less about laptops. I'm looking at one of these a bit randomly:

https://www.komplett.se/product/109.../barbar/acer-predator-helios-300-156-fhd-matt

The price is in Swedish SEK so don't freak out too much xD Still, it's a month's salary almost, not that I mind it. I just don't know what to get or what's good in these black friday/cyber monday times.
Here's the Gaming Laptop Discussion Thread

I used the 17 inch Acer Predator for work last year because we needed a cheap VR capable laptop - it was HUGE and ugly. Did the job, but was just way bigger than I'd ever want a laptop. The 15 inch one weights over 6 lbs, so I imagine it also feels too big for a 15 inch laptop.

TolerLive

Senior Lighting Artist
Verified
Nov 15, 2017
Redmond, WA
It's a nice work, models looks really great, but it tends to be too glossy. You don't take advantage of the PBR render especially roughness. So every models have a beautifull light (Iray indeed!), good modeling, but look a bit like toys.

It's obvious with your wood.

I LOVE Iray and I work a lot with it, so look at the differences.

Yours

Mine

It's subtil, I admit, but at some point just 0.1or 0.2 on the roughness make a huge difference. Got the feeling you don't have a proper roughness map but just a global value that doesn't create visible variations.
One last tips, I think your environment is too bright, too strong for good presentation.

Except thta roughness layer, it's a very solid work, keep practicing! You have some skills, I'm sure you will level up very fast!

Cheers!

It's not a "I'm better than you" post, I'm just pointing some points you can improve and that can have a strong impact on the presentation of your work! :)

This was all very helpful! Yeah I'm honestly fairly new to substance painter still (and iray) so the info is very helpful. I appreciate it! And to the guy who asked if the ship was from star citizen, yes! It's my take on a variant of the Aurora- LX.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017

that's dope dude. i think color grading needs a bit of work though if ur looking to achieve that bright nintendo look. it would definitely help if you upped the saturation a bit. since ur using ue4 use a LUT.

this video is from a senior lighting artist at DICE, while the scene he's working with is a bit more realistic i think there's a lot of information that's relevant to you. good luck!

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
So I implemented the new sprite, main issue is that now everything around him is way too big lol.

0EF4xAu.gif

Like how it turned out besides that though.

Minamu

Nov 18, 2017
Sweden
Here's the Gaming Laptop Discussion Thread

I used the 17 inch Acer Predator for work last year because we needed a cheap VR capable laptop - it was HUGE and ugly. Did the job, but was just way bigger than I'd ever want a laptop. The 15 inch one weights over 6 lbs, so I imagine it also feels too big for a 15 inch laptop.
Thanks for the assist :) I hadn't considered that, thoigh I'm most likely only going to use it at home in one or two locations. I'd go for a desktop if I could but it's not feasible right now :/

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Showed off my game at IndieMad for the second consecutive year.

As before, such an awesome experience, but so exhausting as well, especially juggling being there to see people play it, with playing others' games, with attending the multiple talks.

I think it's looking good but it could help to be slightly top-heavier. That is, making the roof larger (mainly taller). With that change you could bring more of the interesting roof palette to cover a bit of the wall surface (arguably less interesting), while also making the house look a bit cuter.

I think that might work best in the shed / smaller house. The larger house is a two-story one and it might be hard to make the roof larger without it eating into the second floor. However, making the house comparatively larger in the small house would not only make it look cuter, but also more different from the larger one (right now it looks like a scaled down version of it).

Last edited:

ninjaboyjohn

Oct 30, 2017
California

that's dope dude. i think color grading needs a bit of work though if ur looking to achieve that bright nintendo look. it would definitely help if you upped the saturation a bit. since ur using ue4 use a LUT.

this video is from a senior lighting artist at DICE, while the scene he's working with is a bit more realistic i think there's a lot of information that's relevant to you. good luck!

Awesome - I haven't played with the post processing tone mapping adjustments at all really yet - it was intimidating until I watched that video and learned how to add Photoshop layers to the base color lookup table - wow, now tweaking a screenshot in Photoshop and having it reflected back in my game, that's something I can do!

Here's a quick 10-minute stab at color grading my forest level set via the Photoshop->LUT method in that video.

Before:
colorgrading_before.png

After:
colorgrading_after.png

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Awesome - I haven't played with the post processing tone mapping adjustments at all really yet - it was intimidating until I watched that video and learned how to add Photoshop layers to the base color lookup table - wow, now tweaking a screenshot in Photoshop and having it reflected back in my game, that's something I can do!

Here's a quick 10-minute stab at color grading my forest level set via the Photoshop->LUT method in that video.

Before:
colorgrading_before.png

After:
colorgrading_after.png

Wow, the difference is astounding. Switching back and forth makes the first one seem so washed out!

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017

Before:
colorgrading_before.png

After:
colorgrading_after.png
Solid man. It's a quick thing to do but adds so much to the look and feel of your game.
Showed off my game at IndieMad for the second consecutive year.

As before, such an awesome experience, but so exhausting as well, especially juggling being there to see people play it, with playing others' games, with attending the multiple talks.

I think that might work best in the shed / smaller house. The larger house is a two-story one and it might be hard to make the roof larger without it eating into the second floor. However, making the house comparatively larger in the small house would not only make it look cuter, but also more different from the larger one (right now it looks like a scaled down version of it).

That's pretty cool. Must be pretty intimidating though no?

Last edited:

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
That's pretty cool. Must be pretty intimidating though no?

More exhausting and stressing than anything else, I wanted to be three places at once (my stand to see people play and gather feedback, other devs' stands to play their games, and the conference rooms to attend some of the talks). Thankfully this year my SO was there with me the whole two days (the previous year she had broken her leg) so she held the fort like a champ while I was away.

This year was the second one so I already knew more or less what to expect. It's always super cool and rewarding to see people enjoying your game, some even coming back for seconds later on. The previous year I filled a full paper sheet with feedback (and bugs), virtually all of it I eventually implemented, but this year I barely filled half a sheet. Possibly this was due because people kept mentioning the same things (tutorials are too wordy and non-interactive, mechanics are hard to grasp, especially since people tend to skip the aforementioned tutorials). I'll probably have to scrap the entire tutorial system that's in place now, but at least I have quite a few ideas as to how to implement a more interactive replacement.

Most stressing moment was having the first person testing the game run into a softlocking bug caused by last-minute changes the night before. Fortunately I anticipated this kind of thing and had Unity installed on the laptop, so I could fix the bug on the spot.

My favorite game of the show was Souldiers, an absolutely beautiful metroidvania by ex-Gameloft devs (which I've just learnt are the same ones behind Card Saga Wars, which is a thought that crossed my mind during my playthrough). Interestingly, it seems it even has its own ResetEra thread already:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/souldiers-new-2d-action-platformer-by-card-saga-wars-folks.79463/

Last edited:

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
It's been a while since I posted some content in here but I might as well make my return.

After a long cycle of re-polishing and refactoring various gameplay systems, as well as a full on name-change of the game to "JAEGER" (Formerly "Azure Jaegers, Red Foxes") I've finally gotten myself around to implementing the actual story-content/scenario for the Demo's chapter. So here's an out-of-context minute of a scene in the middle of Chapter 1.

Still very WIP though, some animations not being in place yet and all, among other things like Dialog Portraits for the other characters in this scene, as well as perhaps another editing-pass on some of the dialog. And yeah, I'll be replacing that Dialog Typewriter noise with something a bit less grating soon.

Anyway, I'll be looking around for some closed testers in the near future as I get closer to the Demo being ready to make sure that certain parts of the game are intuitive for others as well as catching anything weird my own self-QA didn't catch if anyone's interested. If you like Immersive Sims like the first Deus Ex and are willing to sacrifice a dimension I'm sure it'll be up your alley.

Last edited:

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm starting to implement saving using in game rather than just having a way to save and load in testing. Still not finished but I made myself laugh with my dialogue so I feel like posting it. Gonna try and finish it a bit later cause I found a huge bug that i need to track down.

img

Mike Armbrust

Oct 25, 2017
It's been a while since I posted some content in here but I might as well make my return.

After a long cycle of re-polishing and refactoring various gameplay systems, as well as a full on name-change of the game to "JAEGER" (Formerly "Azure Jaegers, Red Foxes") I've finally gotten myself around to implementing the actual story-content/scenario for the Demo's chapter. So here's an out-of-context minute of a scene in the middle of Chapter 1.

Still very WIP though, some animations not being in place yet and all, among other things like Dialog Portraits for the other characters in this scene, as well as perhaps another editing-pass on some of the dialog. And yeah, I'll be replacing that Dialog Typewriter noise with something a bit less grating soon.

Anyway, I'll be looking around for some closed testers in the near future as I get closer to the Demo being ready to make sure that certain parts of the game are intuitive for others as well as catching anything weird my own self-QA didn't catch if anyone's interested. If you like Immersive Sims like the first Deus Ex and are willing to sacrifice a dimension I'm sure it'll be up your alley.

Jaeger is a pretty popular word and already used in lots of games. Have you thought about how people will be able to find your game on google?

It's a good sounding name but I suggest adding some sort of unique element to help people find you or at least having some strategy to deal with this. I'm making a twisty puzzle simulator called Twisty Puzzle Simulator so I don't think common names are bad but I've personally worried a lot about my game potentially being hard to find on google.

I'm a bit busy since my game is launching tomorrow but I should be able to help with some closed testing in the future.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Interested in a modern laptop exclusively for programming & game dev work. I like working with Twine and making text adventures and I'm interested in making 2D games specifically with stuff like Unity, RPG Maker, and Game Maker MV. Issue is I haven't bought a new laptop in a while and don't know what specs or system would be reasonable for this level of game development. Not interested in spending thousands when in crafting any 3D projects. Any advice or recommendations for a suitable development laptop?

ninjaboyjohn

Oct 30, 2017
California
Interested in a modern laptop exclusively for programming & game dev work. I like working with Twine and making text adventures and I'm interested in making 2D games specifically with stuff like Unity, RPG Maker, and Game Maker MV. Issue is I haven't bought a new laptop in a while and don't know what specs or system would be reasonable for this level of game development. Not interested in spending thousands when in crafting any 3D projects. Any advice or recommendations for a suitable development laptop?
If you're not going to be doing 3D projects at all, or at least not graphics intensive 3D projects, basically any new laptop with a dedicated GPU will be amazing for you (I'd look for something with an Nvidia 1050, a lot of those on sale for under $1000 on black friday / cyber monday)

I'd prioritize:
- feel / weight -> do you want something portable so you can work on your lap / from a plane / in a coffee shop? Then go then and light. Try to go to a store that has the laptop so you can get a feel for the screen and the keyboard / trackpad combo
- how big a screen do you need? Will you be using this in conjunction with an external monitor on a desk? Personally, I prefer a 17 inch 1080p screen on a laptop if I'm going to be using it port-ably, but if I'm hooking it up to a monitor, 15 inch is fine. 4k feels like overkill on a laptop to me.
- dedicated / non-intel graphics (though for what you want to do, the most recent intel integrated graphics would probably be fine, but getting a better gpu will help the laptop last you a lot longer)
- 8-16 gigs of ram
- as big an SSD as you can get - at least 128gb, ideally more. Your OS will be installed on the SSD, and you can have a traditional laptop hard drive in there for other files.

So, like something like this MSI at Walmart for $799 would be great for what you're looking todo, and should support Unity and Game Maker versions for many years in the future.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
If you're not going to be doing 3D projects at all, or at least not graphics intensive 3D projects, basically any new laptop with a dedicated GPU will be amazing for you (I'd look for something with an Nvidia 1050, a lot of those on sale for under $1000 on black friday / cyber monday)

I'd prioritize:
- feel / weight -> do you want something portable so you can work on your lap / from a plane / in a coffee shop? Then go then and light. Try to go to a store that has the laptop so you can get a feel for the screen and the keyboard / trackpad combo
- how big a screen do you need? Will you be using this in conjunction with an external monitor on a desk? Personally, I prefer a 17 inch 1080p screen on a laptop if I'm going to be using it port-ably, but if I'm hooking it up to a monitor, 15 inch is fine. 4k feels like overkill on a laptop to me.
- dedicated / non-intel graphics (though for what you want to do, the most recent intel integrated graphics would probably be fine, but getting a better gpu will help the laptop last you a lot longer)
- 8-16 gigs of ram
- as big an SSD as you can get - at least 128gb, ideally more. Your OS will be installed on the SSD, and you can have a traditional laptop hard drive in there for other files.

So, like something like this MSI at Walmart for $799 would be great for what you're looking todo, and should support Unity and Game Maker versions for many years in the future.

Oh thanks!
Yeah mostly working from home (on a desk and in bed) and taking it to my day job to mess with in my free time. 15 inch is fine with me too since my 7 year old laptop at this point has served me well visually and it's 13 inches. Now to save the money to get it.

Mike Armbrust

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, that's super impressive! This is the one that's taken you years? I can perfectly well imagine why!
Thank you!

This game started development about a year ago and was a side project to my 5 year game. Development was surprisingly smooth even though this is technically the first game I've ever made.

edt: although launch is anything but smooth. The trailer was supposed to also be on the PlayStation youtube channel and I still don't have any review codes to send out. Welp ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Okay this might be the dumbest thing I've ever posted but I decided to do a little animation test. Fortnite's default dance is so played out so why not the torture dance from JoJo? It's not perfect but it doesn't really need to be since I just wanted to see what it would look like if I did a fancier animation.

k7D8w5N.gif

Also you guys were 100% right, that would have a been a nightmare to animate with my old sprite cause the size of it. Seriously thanks for that advice.

I did use this as reference to do this with pixel art around this size
https://i.imgur.com/bbsPWdC.gif

and here is the original if you've never seen it

Chronus

Nov 2, 2017
Hopefully this isn't the wrong place to ask this. Does anyone have any hints on how to modify the Tiled map editor in order to include buttons for your own game objects, setting default map properties and other custom stuff like that? I've seen it done in Road to Ballhalla, for example. I am hoping it doesn't involve actually messing around with the editors source code and is something much simpler instead. Would certainly reduce time spent on mapping boilerplate for my small personal project.

m0dus

Truant Pixel
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
We just released 2MD: VR Football Head 2 Head edition on PSVR.

Adding to the innovative throwing mechanic and play drawing mechanic, a local 2 player mode that allows a friend to control the defense on the social screen. You swap with the VR player on every turnover or score. https://bit.ly/2FCGDLp

Status
Not open for further replies.