• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Breath of the Wild. Shooting a fire arrow at an apple on a tree to make a baked apple. Setting fire to a barrel to cook the contents inside. Hold a fire weapon to keep warm in the cold climates. Throw metal at enemies in a thunder storm to hit them with lightning. Many really neat details that surprise you.

The first time I fired a standard arrow through a fire which caught fire on the way to an explosive barrel which then exploded and took out three enemies I knew BotW was something truly special. The physics of the World are just incredible and put most modern AAA games running on hardware 10x more powerful to shame.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Conker's Bad Fur Day: When Conker is idling, he'll perform a bunch of animations such as playing Killer Instinct on his Game Boy, reading beaver-themed girly mags, bouncing a yoyo, and drinking from a can with a straw. When Conker has finished drinking, he crushes the can and tosses it aside. The can splashes if it happens to hit water. Conker has special animations when an enemy is close enough to grab him. His movement becomes frantic, and he makes incoherent noises as he runs. Also, when you walk into a wall, Conker will stop and place his hands against the wall. At the time, and even years later, many games will let you keep running into a wall, and this is a pretty basic animation failure.

Perfect Dark: Escalators affect anything on them. This includes NPCs and dropped objects. However, NPCs can still run up and down moving escalators without any issue. If they die on the escalator, their body is carried up/down. If they drop their weapon on the escalator, the same. Perfect Dark is full of details that could go on for pages and pages. But the fact the escalators work the way they're supposed to is sublime.

Homefront: The Revolution has many nifty little touches, but the raindrop effect is the niftiest of all. Instead of surfaces just magically becoming wet, they transition from dry to wet in a relatively realistic manner.
HFTR_Rain_Gif.gif

signal

Oct 28, 2017

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
Anytime a video game has mirrors and reflections, color me impressed.

Also, snow/sand footprints/vehicle tracks is awesome.

Deleted member 14002

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Details in the Yakuza cutscenes. You can see characters pores, the stitching on their suits, etc.

Video @13:40

Deleted member 5015

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is a smiley on the grenade of the flak cannon in Unreal Tournament 99. Only the one being shot at can see it though.

fetch

Iori Loco

Nov 10, 2017
Dragon's Dogma has a few cool details like undead enemies getting hurt when they touch healing spells or the heads of the hydras regrow slower after being cut off if you cauterize the stump with any source of fire.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was cool when, in Assassin's Creed: Origins, a guard that I had missed after clearing out a fort, picked up and carried the body of another guard that I had killed to the back of the fort and dumped it on a pyre.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I've posted this before but I don't think that many pepole noticed it during the game.

Also did you guys notice that in the first fight vs Vergil in DMC3, towards the end of it when he's about 1/4 HP his hair falls down due to the rain ?

I thought that was a super neat detail.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Surprised no one mentioned that in Horizon zero Dawn if you look closely at some of the trees you can see ants carrying leaves moving up and down the trunk. Always thought that was a nice little detail.

Prompto

Oct 25, 2017
Kojima the thread

In MGS3, if you kill any enemies in the mountain section, vultures will eventually swoop down to pick at their corpses. You can then eat these vultures, and the ghosts of the enemies you killed will say "You ate me!" during the Sorrow fight later on.
Alright this is insane. I never knew about this.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Out of all of the crazy ass details throughout the MGS games, my favorite will always be being able to provoke Meryl into calling a Wolf over to piss on you in the caves in MGS1. If you hide in the box before they do the deed, you get a cardboard box that smells like wolf piss. If you use said box in the area, the wolves leave you alone because the box smells of wolves.

Like, who would have even thought to try that?

Oct 25, 2017
Bayonetta's use of the Enochian language as well as all the tiny interactions between different weapons and enemy types is incredibly detailed to an obsessive degree.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Perhaps slightly off topic, but I was intrigued by the Xbox One X update for Halo 5 because it revealed details that weren't noticeable on the standard version, including some text on the battery percentage on the assault rifle's screen. It's neat because it was there for years but the technical limitations didn't allow us to see it.

To be more on topic, besides what has already been mentioned, I always enjoyed Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy in regards to calculating what players can or can't do. There's a lot of branching and even "fake" finales, like drinking after taking medicines kills you. Perhaps not as mindblowing as the ice cubes in MGS2 or stuff in BOTW but I like scenarios like this where developers thought of every option you could do and acted accordingly.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
I think what sets BOTW apart from most other games in this thread is how most of these details are actually gameplay related.

Dec 18, 2017
I loved the ones in BOTW and the MGS (one I loved in V was the way the camera "adjusts" to light settings, making light sources unbearable if you've been in the dark too long) series, but the game that kinda blindsided me was Overwatch. Some of the neat ones are the fact that each physics object is correctly weighted (chairs can be tilted, but won't fall over unless they cross their balance threshold), and the fact that Baewatch McCree's flip flops, a unique set of footwear in across the skins, actually flip flop in-game, as opposed to just sticking to his feet.

The animations are the best part of course, and most of the coolest stuff is in this video:

Some of my favorites:
  • If you jump as Orisa and look down, you can see her adorable robo-centaur legs kick up
  • To convey McCree's excellent marksmanship, he leads his shot whenever tracking his gun
  • Zenyatta doesn't breath.
  • Lucio's gun's light display is synced to his music, and changes size according to your volume setting
  • The eyes in the orbs of Zenyatta's Cthulu skin twitch and flicker like real eyes

N00MKRAD

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
1506312768243.png
Saiyoris Hands are bloody/hurt. Indicating - although she hung herself - it didn't quite work like it was supposed to. So she war hurting her hands while trying to loose the rope around her neck as the survival instinct kicked in. It is an insane little detail I guess.

Oh god. That makes it even worse.

Also, Yuri's blood dries and her eyes change color when you spend the weekend next to her.

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
You can see the reflection of the environment in Aloy's eyes in Horizon Zero Dawn (yes, it's in game, I used the Photo Mode to zoom in).

That looks bonkers. That games visuals are truly outstanding!

There is a smiley on the grenade of the flak cannon in Unreal Tournament 99. Only the one being shot at can see it though.

fetch

I love to see those details so many years later, haven't seen it before.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
Breath of the Wild. Shooting a fire arrow at an apple on a tree to make a baked apple. Setting fire to a barrel to cook the contents inside. Hold a fire weapon to keep warm in the cold climates. Throw metal at enemies in a thunder storm to hit them with lightning. Many really neat details that surprise you.

I was not very interested in the game but now I am. Only the destroyable equipment worries me in that game, I hate that feature...

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In Persona 5 if you raise your proficiency to max Ren will start spinning his pen or phone while doing study events.
200w.gif

Seahawk64

Oct 27, 2017
GTA5 and BOTW, both games are filled with em.

Don't think any other games come close to these 2.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like we need more posts with examples than praises.

Mario punching Yoshi to make him open his mouth in SMW
vvc7prrqmq66ysmx1jz5.gif

Buddeh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1506312768243.png
Saiyoris Hands are bloody/hurt. Indicating - although she hung herself - it didn't quite work like it was supposed to. So she war hurting her hands while trying to loose the rope around her neck as the survival instinct kicked in. It is an insane little detail I guess.

That's nice

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
In MGS3, if you kill any enemies in the mountain section, vultures will eventually swoop down to pick at their corpses. You can then eat these vultures, and the ghosts of the enemies you killed will say "You ate me!" during the Sorrow fight later on.
kojima you magnificent son of a bitch

Oct 25, 2017
If you lie to enough people in Planescape Torment and tell them your name is "Adahn" your lies will manifest an actual character named Adahn the Imaginary who will be very confused how he got where he is but will be happy to see you.

SnakeyHips

Oct 31, 2017
Wales
BF1 has so many insane little details that DefendTheHouse has made a mini series about it.

Here's Vol 1:

Not only how guns get muddy awesome, but how the rain/water washes it off is amazing.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Actually I forgot this crazy thing. It's a meta detail, to be fair.

In Danganronpa V3's soundtrack on Spotify, a piano track played by the protagonist is credited with the protagonist Kaede's name.

67de84e44a.jpg

If you don't believe...

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
These two are my current favorites:

The lens flares in BOTW are highly dynamic, and their appearance is based on Sunlight intensity, directional lighting incident with the camera aperture, and obstruction of sunlight from clouds/mie scattering (or occluders in between the camera and the sun). It's ridiculously detailed for an effect that most people (aside from photographers) will hardly appreciate.

And anything capable of specular reflection will produce a real time [infinite] cubemapped reflection and specular lighting from the environment in Super Mario Odyssey. Yes, that includes the tiny little bubbles in the water!

Last edited: