• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chev

Mar 1, 2021
People hoping for the end of Cage seem mistaken regarding the stakes or even the basic setup here. Quantic Dream's the accuser, and if they lose they at worst get to pay the accused newspapers' legal fees and look like dumbasses, nothing more.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
:( Worst part is how dismissive they are/how literally no one will defend you since it's so normalized.
Yeah, I've given up on that and I'm fortunate enough to be able to choose work environments where people will shut up with that kind of stuff, but I'm aware that you're always one bad job move from an asshole team or boss tbh.

I hope this doesn't sound like I'm downplaying/excusing Cage but I've definitely experienced and seen this with other large game companies in France too.
It's a fair point, that doesn't excuse Cage at all, but as an outsider to this particular industry, it looks to me like QD is pretty representative of the way it works. These tweets Arilian quoted upthread show how at least parts of the French industry are absolutely anti-union and try to kill or dismiss efforts at unionizing, which is really another aspect of the same problem.

People hoping for the end of Cage seem mistaken regarding the stakes or even the basic setup here. Quantic Dream's the accuser, and if they lose they at worst get to pay the accused newspapers' legal fees and look like dumbasses, nothing more.
Yeah, this is all theater. The point was to push back to discredit attacks, and blur the lines, so that they could say every claim was disputed and move away from the accusations. That's exactly what that weirdo doing backflips for them was doing in other threads, even finding coverage that cast doubt on the allegations based on that suit.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
This is a incredible exchange

That was great. I also love the apologist giving QD credit for planting a garden or whatever.

"The end of Cage" refers to his place of prominence in the industry, I think. Doubt anyone expects for him/QD to face significant legal consequences.

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That was great. I also love the apologist giving QD credit for planting a garden or whatever.

"The end of Cage" refers to his place of prominence in the industry, I think. Doubt anyone expects for him/QD to face significant legal consequences.
Ubisoft has a highly noted rape and sexual abuse riddled corporate culture not to mention issues with overall Sexism/Racism/Homophobia and the majority don't care or hold them to it.

Cage/QD might loose some face and close some doors, but the majority of his fanbase is likely to not know about this let alone if they did even bother to care.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
Ubisoft has a highly noted rape and sexual abuse riddled corporate culture not to mention issues with overall Sexism/Racism/Homophobia and the majority don't care or hold them to it.

Cage/QD might loose some face and close some doors, but the majority of his fanbase is likely to not know about this let alone if they did even bother to care.

Yeah, it's an optimistic read either way. I would expect the next QD game to do very well.

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean I certainly wouldn't support them after this, but that is easy for me to say as I wasn't a fan in the first place so then not making games for me is alright haha.

That said, have the Mod team considered how/if David's/QD games will be discussed/followed here? With David having been exposed to have said things like these will we just kinda continue as has been or will things change?

Note this isn't so much me pushing/wanting changes as it was it just popped into my mind and now I'm curious?

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
As he runs from the courtroom:
cHWosJN.gif

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
Reread some of the old QD thread. Some spin doctors in those threads suspiciously absent from this thread.

OP
OP
Maxime

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017
New statement from Solidaires Informatique, following a mail they received from QD's Social and Economic Committee. Mostly about photomontages the union relayed on their website. They did not posted them online but shared them. As far as I know, it's people within Quantic Dream who leaked them online. But people's faces were not blurred / hidden which is not great IMO (and why I did not brought them up):

By an email from June 3rd, the Social and Economic Committee [CSE, representative body of the staff in a company] of Quantic Dream requested the removal of the homophobic, transphobic, racist, Nazi, sexist, inciting to pedocriminality photoshops, at the request of employees who may suffer a prejudice by their diffusion.

This is a legitimate request. We are not responsible for the publication of these photomontages; however, we agree to remove the links from our articles as soon as possible.

In the same e-mail, the CSE invites us to "open a dialogue" in order to "see together what can be done to protect and respect the employees".

The photomontages have been distributed for years within the company. The discriminatory and repeated nature of the pictures, which attack the dignity of the individuals, are considered as moral harassment and/or environmental harassment, an offence which can lead to a fine of up to €30,000 and two years in jail.

After the revelation of their existence, none of the authors of these images were investigated; only a staff representative was sanctioned, so lightly that he was confirmed in his position as manager within the company. This absence of sanction was due to the complicity of the management of Quantic Dream (reducing the facts to "eighth degree" or humor to be taken with a "smile"), as well as of the members of the CSE at the time ("not very comfortable with the approach of the plaintiffs, requesting the dismissal of the author").

This CSE did nothing to protect or respect the employees. Did it even represent them?

In this context, and following the various revelations of the Quantic Dream Vs Mediapart trial, we invite the CSE to take action:

Concerning the existence of photomontages and the toxic culture of the company:
  • To issue a right of alert concerning the violation of people's rights.
  • To actively include the Work Inspection representatives in the various investigations and actions.
  • To ensure the implementation of exemplary disciplinary sanctions.
  • To set up mandatory training courses for all employees by an expert firm.

Concerning the social fraud and the falsification of dismissals:
  • To issue a right of economic alert and demand explanations from the management.
  • To demand from Guillaume de Fondaumière that he gives back his indemnities (more than 100 000€) linked to his self dismissal for disagreement with himself.
  • To review all the dismissal files in order to detect any irregularities

To publish a message of support to the ex-employees of the company, whistleblowers, who, having revealed dysfunctions of the company, participated in the improvement of the working conditions.

Finally, to demand the dismissal of the management of Quantic Dream, including Guillaume "can I lie? " de Fondaumière and David "we don't make games for fags" de Gruttola. The management of Quantic Dream, with the support of the CSE in place at the time of the events (of which some members are still part today), is largely responsible for the situation and the dysfunctions within the company and represents a danger as much with regard of the image of the company as to its employees. It is time for these people to leave.

These measures are by no means exhaustive, but they can be a good first step to establish a unionized CSE, combative and without any link with the management, able to protect and respect the employees.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
" inciting to pedocriminality "
Uh, were those photoshops mentioned before...?

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I met David Cage once. I retroactively regret not punching him in the face after reading this but I guess it's a good thing because I wouldn't have wanted to get kicked out of the LACC and be banned from E3 because of an asshole like him.

OP
OP
Maxime

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017

Arilian

Oct 29, 2020
www.canardpc.com

Quantic Dream vs le moustacho-gauchisme

Jeudi 27 et vendredi 28 mai 2021 se tenaient les audiences du procès en diffamation intenté par Quantic Dream et ses deux principaux dirigeants contre les journaux Le Monde et Mediapart pour les enquêtes de 2018. Le verdict ne sera connu que début juillet, mais c’est toujours chouette les procès...
It's now free for at least a couple of days.

It's short, but if someone speaking French want to read it without a subscription to Canard PC or without whining (aka asking a subscriber to share the article with you), you can (like I said, at least for a couple of days, I don't remember if it's free forever or just for a week).

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
O M G
Why wasn't I told about this thread before!!!!!!

I knew they were full of shit but I didn't expect a forensic look at the meal that the shit was bfore!

e: reading the OP article about the trial right now
THESE HUMONGOUS PIECES OF SHIT!

Oct 25, 2017
"Quantic Dream is a rare, inclusive, collaborative and optimistic group of employees. It is run with kindness, positivity and professionalism. We remind you that we are open to constructive and respectful exchanges, with a view to enriching the quality of company life; however, we no longer accept new allegations that flout the human values of our teams."

That's an amazing statement.

MaxAugust

Jan 28, 2018

"In addition to the union's account, our sources noted a handful of other allegations made during the trial. Following the accusations of harassment and toxic workplace culture in 2018, David Cage was said to have called in all the women at the studio individually in his office to investigate the situation, without the presence of a staff or HR representative."

Creepy.

Arilian

Oct 29, 2020
(Dan Israel wrote articles for Mediapart regarding Quantic Dream, and worked with journalists from Canard PC and Le Monde).
More than 3 and a half years after the publication of this article, Mediapart was acquitted today by the Paris judicial court of libel charges brought by @Quantic_Dream, @David__Cage and @GdeFondaumiere.

Arilian

Oct 29, 2020
According to the STJV, le Monde was convicted:
Today, September 9th 2021, we learned, with great pleasure, that Médiapart won against Quantic Dream, the court having dismissed their libel accusations. The French justice system recognised the seriousness and the good faith of the journalists' work. However Quantic Dream, in its violent initiative to clean-up its public image, has sadly managed to get the court to recognise a case of libel by Le Monde against them. We do not yet know how the court motivated that decision, but it diminishes the freedom of speech and voices of victims of sexism, sexual harassment and, in general, awful working conditions, to the benefit of bosses who use all their resources to silence all accusation.

www.stjv.fr

Quantic Dream vs Le Monde and Médiapart : behind the theatrics, facts – STJV

Details added after the publication of our article: the judgement dismissed all Quantic Dream's claims, against Médiapart AND against Le Monde, acknowledging th

Last edited:

Arilian

Oct 29, 2020
William Audureau is a journalist working for Le Monde, and he wrote the article about Quantic Dream. He just explained what the French court decided about the case between Le Monde and Quantic Dream.

According to him, QD lost its lawsuit, except on two points. The first, the court found that le Monde didn't have enough proof to write what they wrote. The second, le Monde didn't present the testimonies it had in its possession, to respect the anonymity of the women who gave them.
More than three years after the publication of this article, the court dismissed Quantic Dream's defamation claim against Le Monde.
However, it found in favour of David Cage and Guillaume de Fondaumière for two passages.

The first was directed at David Cage, and referred to a racially motivated joke, corroborated by several witnesses. The court found that the statement made by the person who was the subject of the joke was not sufficient.

The second concerns allegations of misconduct by Guillaume de Fondaumière with certain female employees. This one is based on several written testimonies, which have not been produced in order to protect anonymity, as requested by those concerned.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh. I guess it wouldn't have been possible for Le Monde to give redacted versions that might remove identifying information?

Although I maybe the stories themselves would identify who was targeted.

OP
OP
Maxime

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017
No worries if you want to continue the discussion here, but FYI I did a new thread :)

www.resetera.com

STJV (French Workers Union) | Médiapart won against Quantic Dream, Le Monde convicted of libel News

https://www.stjv.fr/en/2021/09/quantic-dream-vs-le-monde-and-mediapart-behind-the-theatrics-facts/ https://twitter.com/stjv_fr/status/1435946694777217025 🧵 No details yet regarding why Le Monde specifically is convicted. I am really curious to read why the difference in treatment between the...