dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, maybe Dual Issue will be used very well thsi time around in a closed box environment and not just stay a theortical figure. I mean John rzssured us that coding to the metal is still a thing. :p
It's used about as good as it can be used on PC right now. Shader compilers are good enough and "coding to the metal" here wouldn't result in any noticeable improvements IMO.

Spoit

Oct 28, 2017
There it is. Seems RDNA4 and likely PS5 Pro are going to use a completely redone hardware solution to RT. That would explain the high potential performance gain.
I mean, that's a confused/thinking emoji. AMD definitely needed to make a change, but let's not count the eggs until they hatch. Most of thee performance gain is probably going to come from PSSR anyway

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
I mean, that's a confused/thinking emoji. AMD definitely needed to make a change, but let's not count the eggs until they hatch. Most of thee performance gain is probably going to come from PSSR anyway

The 2/3/4x stated by Sony doesn't include PSSR, it's just about the improvement of the RT acceleration. It's likely that in most games PSSR will be used to improve image quality, but really it's a question of which angle you look at it from.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
AMD is so far behind in RT that any small improvements will look like a technological leap.

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
Kepler can't be getting more nebulous:

View: https://twitter.com/Kepler_L2/status/1785407225537679472

He was talking about RDNA4.

Edit: Beaten.

Yup.

Interestingly even if Ps5pro would have completely new RT accelerator units, it likely would still have to have textureunits with RT functionality for backwards compability.

Really doubt we get much more than a bit wider RT units and few new commands.
Should be enough for 4x RT intersection rate.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
It's strange Sony got tight suddenly and now we can't expect any more leaks after the copyright strike so even Tom or any possible dev would hesitate before saying anything new.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
It's 45% vs the 120-130% of the PS4 Pro, I think that's a fair assessment. The console is clearly focusing on VR and ML over brute force. I don't want to jump to conclusions about PSSR being useless for VR, though. Let's see what they end up doing.
Actually it's more like 67% over 120% of PS4 Pro. And we are not even sure of that as they still not specified the actual Tflops FP32 specs, which many are thinking are going to be 67% better, not 45% better. We can only guess of what they are talking about with their 45% faster rendering speed. They also said up to 4x faster RT so it's anyone's guesses.

But we know those 120% faster FP32 specs on PS4 Pro were rarely materialized in games (because of limited bandwidth increase), and in best case only in better resolutions (usually only 77% better resolution at that). But here the outputted resolution is not the problem. Lack of (or bad) RT and bad IQ is the main problem in those consoles.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
It's strange Sony got tight suddenly and now we can't expect any more leaks after the copyright strike so even Tom or any possible dev would hesitate before saying anything new.
What is even left to leak at this point? Results will speak louder than any text leak now for tech we have not even seen used in anything.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Actually it's more like 67% over 120% of PS4 Pro. And we are not even sure of that as they still not specified the actual Tflops FP32 specs, which many are thinking are going to be 67% better, not 45% better. We can only guess of what they are talking about with their 45% faster rendering speed. They also said up to 4x faster RT so it's anyone's guesses.

But we know those 120% faster FP32 specs on PS4 Pro were rarely materialized in games (because of limited bandwidth increase), and in best case only in better resolutions (usually only 77% better resolution at that). But here the outputted resolution is not the problem. Lack of (or bad) RT and bad IQ is the main problem in those consoles.

This was already discussed - yes, it's 67% vs 120% when you look at just the TFs, and 45% vs around 70-100% on the Pro, I was wrong on that. But I didn't even mention how the PS4 Pro did that after 3 years, and so a fairer comparison might be the jump from PS4 to Xbox One X in 4 years, which could be as much as 300% in some games like RDR2. So the original statement that the raster improvement is small by the standards of Pro consoles is entirely accurate, and the RT and ML improvements are where the real meat of the value will come from. The TF improvement is nice, but it will mainly be about giving PSSR more to work with, and if a game doesn't use RT or PSSR, one shouldn't get their hopes up too much.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Almost everything has leaked, we'll find out about software plans, pricing, and release date in the fall.

Son_of_Oden

Feb 27, 2020
Apperantly Nvidia will also use a lot of new tech on desktop blackwell so unlikely that AMD will catch up.
I'm not that naive to think AMD will catch up to current tech and that NVIDIA isn't cooking.
I meant catching up to a RTX40xx heck even RTX30xx would be a revelation in AMD terms.
Just exited to see what they will reveal and hoping that they can bring back a little bit of competition.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I know MS already have the PS5 Pro devkits for their current and upcoming games. The problem is will all indies get the devkits and how many AAA and inides already released will get patched.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
I'm not that naive to think AMD will catch up to current tech and that NVIDIA isn't cooking.
I meant catching up to a RTX40xx heck even RTX30xx would be a revelation in AMD terms.
Just exited to see what they will reveal and hoping that they can bring back a little bit of competition.

7900xt and xtx on average hang with a 3080/3090 and beat them in some games. AMD is probably always going to be a generation behind, but if that's reflected in the pricing, then that's how they remain competitive. The performance per dollar on Nvidia cards has dropped significantly since the 40 series.

Spoit

Oct 28, 2017
7900xt and xtx on average hang with a 3080/3090 and beat them in some games. AMD is probably always going to be a generation behind, but if that's reflected in the pricing, then that's how they remain competitive. The performance per dollar on Nvidia cards has dropped significantly since the 40 series.
In games that actually leverage RT, like cyberpunk or portal, the XTX falls below a 3070

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017

111.png

There's more to GPUs than raw power.

I don't think people realize how much more advanced path tracing on PC is compared to RT on consoles. It's night and day.

It's why Nvidia is destroying AMD in sales. Sony realized that AMD fucked up and now they have to help them.

It'll be very interesting to see what the Pro can do compared to Nvidia features, but AMD needed these features YESTERDAY.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
111.png

There's more to GPUs than raw power.

I don't think people realize how much more advanced path tracing on PC is compared to RT on consoles. It's night and day.

It's why Nvidia is destroying AMD in sales. Sony realized that AMD fucked up and now they have to help them.

It'll be very interesting to see what the Pro can do compared to Nvidia features, but AMD needed these features YESTERDAY.
Not to mention how behind they are with ai upscaling.

Spoit

Oct 28, 2017

www.techpowerup.com

Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty Benchmark Performance Review - 25+ GPUs Tested

The Phantom Liberty expansion brings big improvements to Cyberpunk 2077 and adds an exciting new story line. The game also gets support for DLSS 3.5 and Path Tracing. In our performance review, we're taking a closer look at image quality, VRAM usage, and performance on a wide selection of modern...
performance-pt-1920-1080.png

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
www.techpowerup.com

The Phantom Liberty expansion brings big improvements to Cyberpunk 2077 and adds an exciting new story line. The game also gets support for DLSS 3.5 and Path Tracing. In our performance review, we're taking a closer look at image quality, VRAM usage, and performance on a wide selection of modern...
I suspect you meant path tracing and not just RT?

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
www.techpowerup.com

Ok sure if you want to include Path Tracing, but I assumed you meant RT overall.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
I mean, if you are saying RT "overall" you have TPU and HUB including a bunch of games that barely even have any RT effects at all, which of fucking course skews towards only really counting raster

Even overall when you just look at Cyberpunk specifically. Let's be real here, if you're using PT on anything less than a 4080, it's not worth the hit.

gt123

Apr 2, 2021
I know MS already have the PS5 Pro devkits for their current and upcoming games. The problem is will all indies get the devkits and how many AAA and inides already released will get patched.
There were indie devs earlier today talking about something new and exciting on the PlayStation Dev Portal that they can't talk about, possibly the ability to request devkits? But, maybe I'm off base, I'm not expecting indies to really use the Pro for the most part, depending on the type of games they are making.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Even overall when you just look at Cyberpunk specifically. Let's be real here, if you're using PT on anything less than a 4080, it's not worth the hit.

Disagree, I have a 4070ti and have no problem with path tracing. Constant 60+fps and this is with over 1000 mods as well.

And why? Thanks to the wonderful DLSS, Frame Generation, and Ray Reconstruction.

What do all three of those features have in common? Nvidia exclusives.

If we're already going "Well, of course with path tracing it's not going to run well!" then is the Pro gonna be obsolete by the time it comes out?

Spoit

Oct 28, 2017
Disagree, I have a 4070ti and have no problem with path tracing. Constant 60+fps and this is with over 1000 mods as well.

And why? Thanks to the wonderful DLSS, Frame Generation, and Ray Reconstruction.

If we're already going "Well, of course with path tracing it's not going to run well!" then is the Pro gonna be obsolete by the time it comes out?
I mean, even with the rumored switch ups for RNDA 4, I'm skeptical even the PS6 will be able to do path tracing without getting into really gross IQ spots. Though then again, the PS5 is already running tons of games at sub 720p...

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017

You speak as if PT isn't niche as far as number of games that use it. Heck, include RT as well in that. So sure Pro won't be comparable, but it's providing better performance across the board for people who own a PS5. No one's cross shopping a PS5 Pro against a $700+ GPU.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Where do people come up with this nonsense? It hasn't dropped at all, it has risen across the whole lineup with the only exception being 4060Ti16 - but hey I've heard that people wanted that VRAM and this is how you get it.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
To not derail the original thread, I see that the high setting at 1440p for Hellblade 2 coincide with what the PS5 Pro may offer. So in case one day it will release on PS5/Pro or Rise of Hydra or any other very high end UE5 game, I see it being high native 1440P (maybe a little more) and upscaled to 4K via PSSSR. I see why Sony settled for such specs cus PSSSR will be their biggest trump card.

Doctor Avatar

Banned
Jan 10, 2019
Stuff like this is why I find jumping to conclusions about what the PS5 Pro can or can't do really silly. No one knows what AMD cooked up with RDNA4 or what parts of RDNA4 Sony chose to use. It's the real wild card in all these spec leaks.

PSSR is also a wild card, if it works well it will be transformative.

Maybe PS5 Pro will disappoint, who knows, but it may well also be awesome.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
What is even left to leak at this point? Results will speak louder than any text leak now for tech we have not even seen used in anything.

Unless I missed it, there's not been anything in regards to VR enhancements?
I'm trying to find anything on that, as that's what I'm most interested in.

Ideally, GT7 with zero or at least much improved reprojection is what I'm hoping for.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017

Ideally, GT7 with zero or at least much improved reprojection is what I'm hoping for.

There is also the matter of the controller. We had the supposed V2 with less weight and supposed better battery life but there is also the rumored/patented one with better haptics with weighted components that can be part of the new mid-gen console.

Jul 7, 2023
it can go above the full 60CU frequency when running in back compat btw (i.e. when the GPU is running in back compat, 36CUs will hit 2.23GHz which is over what the full 60CUs are generally running at), as a lot of us suspected. The real question is what does the Ultra Boost mode do; will it be back compat games taking full advantage of 60CUs or 36CUs running at above 2.23GHz, I suspect it's the latter.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
it can go above the full 60CU frequency when running in back compat btw (i.e. when the GPU is running in back compat, 36CUs will hit 2.23GHz which is over what the full 60CUs are generally running at), as a lot of us suspected. The real question is what does the Ultra Boost mode do; will it be back compat games taking full advantage of 60CUs or 36CUs running at above 2.23GHz, I suspect it's the latter.
The Boost Mode should not be enabling full CUs, so it would just be faster at 36. Although adding the qualifier Ultra could mean two boost modes, or just a signifier for the Pro's Boost Mode.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017

The Boost Mode should not be enabling full CUs, so it should just be faster at 36. Although adding the qualifier Ultra could mean two boost modes, or just a signifier for the Pro's Boost Mode.

There is zero confirmation the actual PS5 Pro will run at GPU clock lower than the actual PS5 whetehr for PS5 mode, boost mdoe or even PS5 Pro mode. The PS5 devkits were intially running at 2.0 Ghz which stirred up the unfounded rumors that the PS5 was just a 9.2 Tflop machine.
At this time we still don't know the exact amount of final usable VRAM or even the final clock speeds of the GPU and CPU or some other parts. Not even first party devs may know such infos in a concrete way until retail specs are officially revealed. It is not the first time that this happened in this domain.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017

doesn't isnt reprojection has more to do with the headset screen rather than the GPU? Since GT7 is locked at 60fps already, maybe a native 90fps mode with same graphical fidelity. PSSR, DLSS or any post processing TAA are not great for VR since you are so close to the screen from what I heard, need MSAA. If that is not an issue, can see more games hitting native 90fps with PSSR implemented since the already more powerful GPU can runs at even lower internal res.

Anyone know if the extra bandwidth should allow all PS5 and 4 games to have forced 16XAF if they are not getting patched like Xbox BC? Something like RTX HDR would be amazing too