• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
Source: https://nintendoeverything.com/saku...sing-bosses-and-spirits-new-stages-much-more/

Sakurai had an interview with Nintendo Dream (translated by Nintendo Everything, linked above) where he discusses some things, including working while ill.

Sakurai: Well, actually… I still had a lot of stomach problems.

You did? (laughs)

Sakurai: Yeah, a ton.

So what do you do when that sort of thing happens? I actually had a case of acute gastroenteritis recently.

Sakurai: That sounds rough. When you've got symptoms like food poisoning, you definitely have to go to the hospital, right? I've had that situation once or twice before during development. It was like I got food poisoning from some oysters that I didn't eat.

Even though you hadn't eaten any. (laughs)

Sakurai: It was like my food had come into contact with them or something. But I cook my food thoroughly… Why did I get sick?

Uh, so… Do you take some time off when that happens?

Sakurai: No, I don't. I just get an IV drip and go to work like normal.

Are you serious?!

Sakurai: I guess I'm a hard worker? (wry laughter) I'm a freelancer, so I don't have any strict rules on my time. As long as I can complete the game, I could show up to the office once per week and I think it'd be within the realm of forgiveness. But instead I make sure I come to work every day and write proper daily reports and such. I'm always working, but there's a lot of things that keep me in good spirits!

The freakiest part is that this didn't come from external pressure. He ELECTED to do it. Sakurai pls...take a break.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
The real Smash Bros DLC I want to see is "Sakurai taking a months long beach holiday".

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Nintendo please just give him a lifetime achievement award or something and then force him to take a vacation at gunpoint.

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
I mean this in the most polite way possible

Sakurai, take a break. Maybe retire.

JMTHEFOX

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
YIKES

Sakurai, I appreciate your dedication to making a great game, but holy shit please don't risk so much of your health. Take a serious break ASAP.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That must be why he looks so young

But seriously that's so fucked up, wtf

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
Uh, at a certain point someone at Nintendo probably needs to tell him that he's fucking insane and needs to go home.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What in the fuck
This is beond a joke now. Fucking take a break Sakurai. People can accept a game that's a 9/10 over a 10/10, you need to fucking look after your health.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Sakurai is like Oda, just gonna work himself to death if people aren't careful.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

Sakurai is like Oda, just gonna work himself to death if people aren't careful.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karōshi

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
jfc I'd rather shit be delayed and he get some leave cuz....ugh that's not good for anybody.
edit: this goes for all devs in general

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
Good lord, that deeply concerns me. I don't know if this kind of dedication is exclusive to Sakurai or if it's symptomatic of Japanese work culture as a whole, but either way this man needs to take the longest vacation of his life.

Oct 26, 2017
As someone that has severely damaged his health on different jobs ever since I was 14 I can relate. I hate myself for what I did, but I would probably do it again for a job I love.

V_ac

Avenger
Jul 2, 2018
Jesus Sakurai, it's fine to take a break. The game won't suffer for anyway if you do.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
He seems beyond help if he elects to do this stuff.

At this point, I'm more worried about the people at namco working on the project. I often hear about problems in Asian work cultures where you're often expected to work as long or longer than your superior. Hopefully that's not the case here.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Honestly wish I was a robot sometimes so I can keep working.... but when I get sick I know my body is telling me to sit the fuck down and sleep.

Thuddert

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
This is also why it's important to take care of yourself when you're in charge of your own company. For your own health, but also for signaling to those that work under you that health is more important than work.

Working with an IV drip is the extreme version of this. Sakurai is a workaholic and this behavior is toxic.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Take it from someone who almost did, do whatever it takes to avoid working yourself to death.

Thoraxes

Oct 25, 2017
Gehenna
I'll have to check the original article when I get home, but I'm wondering if it's not supposed to be more he goes to the hospital, is given an IV, then when finished at the hospital goes to work after.

Not that that's much better, but still.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sakurai. Don't make another Smash again- I say this as the biggest Smash fan there is. You have more than earned the break at this point.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
This behaviour is also extremely worrying after seeing what happened to Sion Sono recently :(