• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Mar 23, 2018
So is he actually a freelancer because that way Nintendo, in this case, cannot force him to go home and recover? What a way to put it

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He clearly has problem when it comes to work/life balance. He's gonna end up heading for an early grave and honestly speaking it isn't worth it.

Also guys, Sakurai is a freelance so he doesn't work for anyone and can actually chose his own hours, which makes this even more problematic.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I don't believe it, Sakurai is a synthetic lifeform sent from the future to bring about the singularity, why would he need an IV drip

edit: wait... what if the IV drip had motor oil

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
It's sad that he elects to do this, but knowing Japanese work culture first-hand it's not surprising. That being said, just to clarify in case of confusion, He isn't sitting at his work desk hooked up to an IV. Standard protocol in Japanese hospitals is to get people hooked up to IVs for even really simple stuff. At his age as well, it's pretty standard procedure.

He most likely went in to get checked out, got hooked up to an IV, laid down like he was in the nurse's office at school, then got discharged and went back to work.

Still kinda disturbing, but less so than the dystopic image of him with a desk IV.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Sakurai. Don't make another Smash again- I say this as the biggest Smash fan there is. You have more than earned the break at this point.
Lol people always say this. He doesn't want the break. He likes the work. He even says there's nothing mandating him to work the way he does, it's by choice.
He's working a lot less now anyway. DLC takes a considerable less amount of work than an actual game does

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's sad that he elects to do this, but knowing Japanese work culture first-hand it's not surprising. That being said, just to clarify in case of confusion, He isn't sitting at his work desk hooked up to an IV. Standard protocol in Japanese hospitals is to get people hooked up to IVs for even really simple stuff. At his age as well, it's pretty standard procedure.

He most likely went in to get checked out, got hooked up to an IV, laid down like he was in the nurse's office at school, then got discharged and went back to work.

Still kinda disturbing, but less so than the dystopic image of him with a desk IV.

This take makes sense, but still reinforces that this dude needs a vacation.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
There is a point at which Nintendo needs to step in, employee or not. Like fucking hell thats extreme.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Ok, i'm rather concerned with how ill Sakurai seems to be whenever he mentions the amount of work he does. Dude is either in poor health just due to outside things or is such a work-a-holic that he's impacting his health. Either way, Smash isn't worth potentially dying for.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What in the fuck
This is beond a joke now. Fucking take a break Sakurai. People can accept a game that's a 9/10 over a 10/10, you need to fucking look after your health.
Or even just letting the game come out a few weeks later. Seriously, does he have noone to tell him he should just slow down a bit?
You have to admire the Japanese' work ethic
Lol. Work ethic my ass, this is a prime example of obsessive behaviour and putting your work before your actual life.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Goddamn Sakurai always working so hard for us to have great times, this man is a legend.

woopWOOP

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This guy deserves a long ass vacation, but I doubt he'd do it voluntarily.
Don't work yourself to death, man!

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
He's that one otaku that is super successful and famous in the field that he is an otaku of.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
Japan needs to legalize weed or something. Thats not cool. I dont respect or admire that at all.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
That's really concerning to hear about. It's just really strange especially after hearing the average working hours in Nintendo Japan. Voluntary doing far more than the rest is really unhealthy.

Oct 27, 2017
Man I don't get this line of thinking.

I get being passionate but does he think this helps his fans? Any fan would rather have people they are looking up to in full health than the game itself. Let it take longer to ship, nobody would complain about that.

giphy.gif

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Sakurai

I love you

But please just stop, for your own good

Leafhopper

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly didn't expect Smash Bros games after Ultimate anyway but, since it would still go on I do not expect Sakurai to work on them after this.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Jesus Christ. I know the man loves creating video games but someone's gotta help him if he isn't gonna help himself. He's games are some of my favorite of all time. He's one of the best in the industry and an all time great, but we don't deserve this mans beautiful work like this.

You know that meme "don't ask me for anything"? Yeah I think we can all agree we don't ever want to ask anything of him again! Bless Daddy Sakurai but man I just want him to chill.

Ms.Galaxy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I can relate to some of this. As a freelancing animator and graphical artist, I sometimes fall into the same trappings as Sakura. I have to have my boyfriend pull me away from my work sometimes just to not get myself sick or worse.

Someone at Nintendo should pull him out of the office and take his keys away for a few days, it's for his own good. He's likely going to get himself a heart attack or killed if he keeps pushing himself like this. Love the man's work, but this is just really dangerous and getting a bit ridiculous at this point.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Take a break Sakurai goddamn, people need to stop asking this man for shit.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo please just give him a lifetime achievement award or something and then force him to take a vacation at gunpoint.
He's not even a Nintendo employee!!

Seriously Sakurai.... You're banned from making games for a year! Go out and live your life! Spend time with your family and enjoy the outdoors!

Parfait

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seems pretty Japanese, i don't doubt it at all. Have a big capslocked YIKES as Japan does absolutely nothing to fix it's treatment of the workforce that lead to this kind of culture.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Some people are probably going to be like "Holy shit Sakurai you're too good we're not worthy!", but this is the kind of stuff I cannot get behind, work should NEVER come before health.