• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Surprised this was never posted yet.

https://www.hobbyconsolas.com/lista...mus-returns-entrevista-yoshio-sakamoto-279253

Unfortunately, the interview is in Spanish, but looking at it through Google Translate, here's some of the more interesting tidbits:

• The lack of a 2D Metroid on DS was because the console lacked the technical specifcations that Sakamoto had in mind for a new game
  • There were lots of sound effects taken from the Prime games because Sakamoto felt they fit the game. Were not taken just for the sake of it.
  • Ridley showing up as a boss at the end was MercurySteam's idea
  • Sakamoto explains that 2D Metroid and Metroid Prime are essentially their own different sagas, with no direct link within their stories. When the Prime games started development, Sakamoto and the producers of the latter agreed to preserve the timelines together and have some sort of minimum consistenty, but also be free to create the games they felt were appropriate and avoid doing anything that would coerce the other.
  • No plans for remakes of Super Metroid or Metroid Fusion
  • Comments regarding the secret 2d/10 Chozo Memory: "[it] is implying something, but I would like you all to try to find out what it is for now!"
  • Overall is proud to have worked with MercurySteam to create a well received Metroid game

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I like how Metroid skipping a generation because of technical limitations is like a rite of passage at this point

OP
OP
TheDinoman

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
I like how Metroid skipping a generation because of technical limitations is like a rite of passage at this point

I mean yeah, I can't really imagine a proper Metroid game being released during the 5th generation era. The world wouldn't exactly be ready for a game like Metroid Prime until the advent of the GameCube, and the GameBoy Color would of been insufficient in providing a proper followup to Super Metroid.

I suppose there could of been a 2D Metroid on the N64, like Yoshi's Story or Mischief Makers, but generally speaking most 2D games were frowned upon during that era. To have Mario and Link make the jump to 3D while Samus was still stuck in two dimensions wouldn't have been the best look for the series at the time.

I feel like they could of gotten a 2D Metroid on DS fine had they just gone with sprites like with Fusion or Zero Mission though.

Last edited:

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I respect Sakamoto for creating my favorite Nintendo IP but if he could stay away from it from now on it would be for the best.

Let Tanabe take reign of Metroid, Retro had better understanding of Samus and Metroid in general than todays Sakamoto, as demonstrated with that shit stain called Other M.

Nerrel

Oct 31, 2017
I'm really glad to see Sakamoto back at it and making quality Metroid games again instead of just leaving the series for good. You know, because of stuff like this...

I respect Sakamoto for creating my favorite Nintendo IP but if he could stay away from it from now on it would be for the best.

Let Tanabe take reign of Metroid, Retro had better understanding of Samus and Metroid in general than todays Sakamoto, as demonstrated with that shit stain called Other M.

Every 2D game he's done has been great, and Samus Returns is no exception. Why should he stay away? And you think Tanabe, the person behind Federation Force, better understands the series? Retro had a lot of very bad, unmetroid-like ideas that were thankfully abandoned. Sakamoto loosely oversaw what they were doing and helped keep them on the right track while those games were being developed. Everyone has made mistakes with the series at this point, it's not fair to vilify Sakamoto for one weak game.

Also glad to hear that they don't plan on remaking Super- not that there was a danger of that happening, but still. Stay the hell away from it. I'd really have liked a Fusion remake on Switch, though.

Last edited:

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I'm really glad to see Sakamoto back at it and making quality Metroid games again instead of just leaving the series for good. Also glad to hear that they don't plan on remaking Super- not that there was a danger of that happening, but still. Stay the hell away from it. I'd really have liked a Fusion remake on Switch, though.

Super is perfect as it is but I wouldn't say no (this is impossible but let me dream) to a Remake using Octopath Traveler Engine.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like that he implies the results were pretty good.

¡Espero que puedas adivinar mi respuesta dada la calidad de los resultados obtenidos con Samus Returns!

Sakamoto being happy with the results, no more remakes and the Chozo hints makes me think a Metroid 5 will happen on Switch next.

Does he realize ridley directly connects the prime games with the 2d games?
He just said he doesn't think much about it. Anyway, it was Mercury Steam's idea, he just approved. Maybe it was their idea to make Proteus like that.

OP
OP
TheDinoman

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017

Sakamoto just recently released Samus Returns though

And Tanabe...was just recently responsible for this:

VlafPAeysgOmUxb-800x450-noPad.jpg

Rogote

Oct 25, 2017
No plan for Super Metroid remake? Please do it. I mean, it's not exactly going to to weigh heavy on nintendo's massive finances, right? Just do it.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I mean yeah, I can't really imagine a proper Metroid game being released during the 5th generation era. The world wouldn't exactly be ready for a game like Metroid Prime until the advent of the GameCube, and the GameBoy Color would of been insufficient in providing a proper followup to Super Metroid.

I suppose there could of been a 2D Metroid on the N64, like Yoshi's Story or Mischief Makers, but generally speaking most 2D games were frowned upon during that era. To have Mario and Zelda make the jump to 3D while Samus was still stuck in two dimensions wouldn't have been the best look for the series at the time.

I feel like they could of gotten a 2D Metroid on DS fine had they just gone with sprites like with Fusion or Zero Mission though.
Actually Metroid 4/Fusion was a GBC game for awhile. The early GBA media even looks like it's still using GBC assets.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Super Metroid is pretty much fine as is, so good to hear they aren't bothering with a remake there. I'd be down for a Fusion remake, though.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Hope to see a Metroid V from Mercurysteam sooner than later. Samus Returns is probably my most played game from last year.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Samus Returns was JUST FINE.

I loathe Other M with every fiber of my being, but I'll let Sakamoto actually grow from the backlash and feedback and improve going forward. Samus Returns was made under his watch and it's a vastly more empowered version of the character than his prior work.
ntpnDHH.gif

Federation Force is pretty fun. It's not "Prime" or "Super", but I legit wonder if the majority of criticisms are from people who never played or finished the game. It's a fun little spin-off. I put it in the same category as stuff like Zelda: Four Swords or Final Fantasy Dissidia. It's harmless at worst and pretty enjoyable with friends.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not a Metroid thread without hyperbolic comments about some of Nintendo's best developers because of one game. :)

No plan for Super Metroid remake? Please do it. I mean, it's not exactly going to to weigh heavy on nintendo's massive finances, right? Just do it.
He said he just wanted to do a Metroid 2 remake because it was too outdated gameplay wise, but he felt it was too important story-wise to be left like that. Super and Fusion play fine and Sakamoto seems more interested in doing a brand new entry going by the Chozo hints.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I really hope MercurySteam is playing Hollow knight and learning from it how to make a great Metroid game, if they are developing Metroid 5.

And please work on the graphics, cause I don't think an upres of Samuel Returns engine would look good on Switch.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Samus Returns did well then? I actually quite liked it and wouldn't mind another Metroid game from MercurySteam.

Nerrel

Oct 31, 2017

What's the point? The music and visuals hold up extremely well; that pixel art is some of the best from the SNES. The gameplay has also aged extremely well, and although a lot of people prefer the controls of Fusion and Zero Mission you can't really say that Super's controls are bad or dated in comparison. The game controls differently, with its own advantages and disadvantages and works really well just as it was designed.

I don't see any reason to fuck with it. The games that deserve remakes are the ones that have aged badly on a technical level; Resident Evil and Ocarina of Time are great examples, since they were primitive 3D games that did not hold up at all visually. Super Metroid is just as gorgeous and engaging as it ever was. There's practically nothing to improve, here.

This is so stupid. DS would have been perfect for a sprite based 2D game. Just look at Aliens Infestation.

I think it's pretty obvious that the fine 360 degree aiming wouldn't really work without polygonal 3D, and that was a revelatory improvement to the controls.

Rogote

Oct 25, 2017
What's the point? The music and visuals hold up extremely well; that pixel art is some of the best from the SNES. The gameplay has also aged extremely well, and although a lot of people prefer the controls of Fusion and Zero Mission you can't really say that Super's controls are bad or dated in comparison. The game controls differently, with its own advantages and disadvantages and works really well just as it was designed.

I don't see any reason to fuck with it. The games that deserve remakes are the ones that have aged badly on a technical level; Resident Evil and Ocarina of Time are great examples, since they were primitive 3D games that did not hold up at all visually. Super Metroid is just as gorgeous and engaging as it ever was. There's practically nothing to improve, here.

The point is that I want it >.>

Zero-ELEC

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
MĂ©xico
He says that they're still in the same timeline, so...

Yeah fuck Sakamoto! It's not like he just released critically acclaimed Samus Returns and is implied to be working in Metroid 5...

You mean the perfectly fun, 4-player co-op spin-off? The one that's actually really good?

Honestly I would rather neither of them work on the series and give it to an independent developer at this point. I don't think either knows how to do the series justice.
This is the dumbest take I've seen yet.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017

Sakamoto redeemed himself with Samus Returns, whatever brain disease led to Other M seems to have been cured.

Oct 25, 2017
Most forum chatter about the competence of series producers at Nintendo is unfounded and wildly extrapolated from selective reading, and nowhere is that more evident than with Sakamoto, Tanabe, and Metroid. I don't find the blame game very interesting.

This is so stupid. DS would have been perfect for a sprite based 2D game. Just look at Aliens Infestation.

Agreed. Until Samus Returns was announced I found it utterly unbelievable that 2D Metroid looked like it was skipping the DS, 3DS, and Wii U over a dozen-year span when two-screen play was practically designed for it. As for artwork, as much as I enjoy Samus Returns and find it better than ZM/Fusion in many respects, in the long run I expect that ZM and Fusion will age better.

Super Metroid is pretty much fine as is, so good to hear they aren't bothering with a remake there. I'd be down for a Fusion remake, though.

Literally the only improvement Super Metroid could use is a configurable wall-jump direction. It's otherwise in great shape and I don't see any kind of remaster improving on the sprite art.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame that Mercury Steam recommended the Ridley fight at the end. Along with the perfunctory powerup collection with the baby Metroid, it kinda ruined one of the few good things about the original.

Nah, it's like saying Samus encountering Chozo statues is a direct connection between the two. Sakamoto is right to not push for some overarching hard canon between the games. No need to bog down the series with so much baggage when the plot is best served as establishing a background.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
Judging from Samus Returns, Metroid 5 will be great. Sakamoto and MercuryStream really made a fantastic game.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Awesome, sounds like we may be getting an original Metroid from Mercurystream. Hopefully, the Diggernaut fight in Samus Returns was just a preview of what they have in store for us.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
I don't think we're getting a new 2D Metroid.

3DS is dead and I don't think it would come out on Switch especially with Prime 4 on the way. Unless you honestly expect a Metroid sent to die on 3DS in the year 2020 or something

Rogote

Oct 25, 2017
I want remake of Super Metroid because I'm obsessed with the game and am morbidly curious how a super passionate, well funded talented team would tackle it in 2D capacity. It's not necessarily to "improve it", but to see it from a different but highly competent lens.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Also, yes. No more remakes please. Every other game in the series besides the two that have been remade have aged beautifully

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Surprised this was never posted yet.

https://www.hobbyconsolas.com/lista...mus-returns-entrevista-yoshio-sakamoto-279253

Unfortunately, the interview is in Spanish, but looking at it through Google Translate, here's some of the more interesting tidbits:

• The lack of a 2D Metroid on DS was because the console lacked the technical specifcations that Sakamoto had in mind for a new game
  • There were lots of sound effects taken from the Prime games because Sakamoto felt they fit the game. Were not taken just for the sake of it.
  • Ridley showing up as a boss at the end was MercurySteam's idea
  • Sakamoto explains that 2D Metroid and Metroid Prime are essentially their own different sagas, with no direct link within their stories. When the Prime games started development, Sakamoto and the producers of the latter agreed to preserve the timelines together and have some sort of minimum consistenty, but also be free to create the games they felt were appropriate and avoid doing anything that would coerce the other.
  • No plans for remakes of Super Metroid or Metroid Fusion
  • Comments regarding the secret 2d/10 Chozo Memory: "[it] is implying something, but I would like you all to try to find out what it is for now!"
  • Overall is proud to have worked with MercurySteam to create a well received Metroid game

good we finally have this settled then with a more recent official comment and I don't have to yell at you guys anymore about this obvious thing staring everyone in the face :D

Robo

Oct 27, 2017
Well, I'm glad we got a 2D Metroid on the dual screens eventually. With all the Metroidvanias that came out on DS and 3DS it always seemed weird that Metroid didn't get at least one until near the end of the 3DS life.

It's been far, far too long since a new game in the series. And from what Sakamoto is implying, it seems like that's exactly what we're going to get!

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Also, yes. No more remakes please. Every other game in the series besides the two that have been remade have aged beautifully

They could remake Metroid Prime Hunters. The campaign was pretty bad, and if those Hunters are going to be canon, they need to give us a decent first adventure with them.

Zero-ELEC

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
MĂ©xico
good we finally have this settled then with a more recent official comment and I don't have to yell at you guys anymore about this obvious thing staring everyone in the face :D
No but you see Metroid Prime isn't canon! I read that somewhere without a source a couple of years back so it must be true!

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda wish they did remake Fusion, but more than that, I am ready for Metroid V. It's been forever, Nintendo!

Also, glad to hear the game was a success.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
Samus Returns was a good game but it's easily my least favorite of it, ZM, Super, and Fusion. I might even put it below AM2R, but I'm not sure about that.

I felt like they relied far too heavily on the melee counter; enemies were a pain to deal with if you didn't use it. There were also just too many enemies in the world in general. Leave some empty space, especially in the lower caves of SR388.

I feel like the game also failed to capture some of the atmosphere that the original had (which was created in part due to its technical limitations).

As for the visuals, I prefer sprites, but I know that's just not realistic at this point. At least going forward a new 2.5D Metroid game can look much nicer than Samus Returns does.

I am intrigued by the story teases in the game and I'm fine with the changes they made in that regard. I hope we get another 2D Metroid within the Switch's lifespan. I think Mercury Steam can do a great job if they fix the problems Samus Returns had.

I do not care to see Super or Fusion remakes. I'm sure they'd only end up pissing people off. Though there are some minor things I'd like to have fixed in Super.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Samus Returns was a Hollywood comeback story of epic proportions so I'm very excited to see what he comes up with next.

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
I don't understand why anyone would want remakes of Fusion and Super when they're perfectly fine as is. If anything, I'm getting excited he's implying that we'll finally be getting Metroid Dread 5.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I thought Samus Returns was a fairly mild comeback all things considered although I sorta chalk that up to MercurySteam for the most of the part.

I don't think Sakamoto is entirely off the hook either. Samus Returns didn't test his chops at designing a brand new 2D Metroid from scratch. In a lot of ways I thought some of the new additions were pigeonholed into design that didn't accommodate it in a graceful manner, so he's got ways to go until I'm fully convinced again. A remake isn't gonna cut it when they're working off of a cheat sheet.

OP
OP
TheDinoman

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
I mean at the end of the day, Nintendo handles Metroid just as they do with Mario. They have different teams and producers working on each sub-series. The 2D Marios are produced by Tezuka while the 3D Marios are produced by Koizumi. Likewise, Sakamoto produces the 2D Metroids (+ Other M I guess) while Tanabe handles the Prime series.

I guess the "divide" is a little more noticable with Metroid because it's a series with emphasis on continuity and story, unlike Mario. But that doesn't mean the Prime games were never canon or whatever.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017

3DS is dead and I don't think it would come out on Switch especially with Prime 4 on the way. Unless you honestly expect a Metroid sent to die on 3DS in the year 2020 or something
The fact that this is a new interview and sakamoto srill teased the chozo lines hints a new game.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017

I think you will see new 2D entries for Zelda, Mario and Metroid on Switch as well as the 3D titles.